Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5749490 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17355 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
Someone left a bunch of fast food trash in the corner of the parking lot where I park my car.  There's a Dumpster not 100 feet away and a trash can about the same distance away in a different direction.  We have maintenance people that will come and pick it up, but I think that leaving the trash there was SS behavior since there were disposal receptacles so close by.

Ugh. We live across the street from a place that sells food and I can't tell you how many styrofoam cups, drink containers, and other refuse we've found in our backyard along the fence.  We live right next to an alley that runs from our street to the  next street up so people tend to walk along it to get to the store rather than walking around the block, which makes sense. 

We are going to get a higher fence someday, hopefully that will be a good deterrent.

DH and I had a small pickup for about 6 years. We had to get rid of it, and not for the reasons one might think.

1. We would come out of a shopping center or store and find people sitting in the back of the pickup, eating. (This happened 3 separate times)
2. We would find someone had deposited trash/unwanted food/etc in the back. (This happened on a weekly basis)

It was so bizarre to me, I couldn't fathom a person who found it reasonable to open someone's pickup's tailgate, then make themselves cozy in the back. Just so strange! We had to call the police twice, because the people wouldn't get out of the back!

HorseFreak

« Reply #17356 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
Last night I came home from an emergency at work at 11:30 pm to find the drunk and rowdy college students who live next door tailgating in the parking lot of the condo complex! This wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't completely blocked one of the prime parking spaces with their camp chairs and opened their truck doors to keep anyone from parking there. They also blocked the sidewalk. There is plenty of lawn to camp out on, no need to try to get flattened by tired people coming home in a relatively dark parking lot.

I'm pretty sure this is the same group of hoodlums who got drunk during a football game and removed and smashed my CFL bulb in my outside fixture, then the next week partially tore and twisted the fixture off the wall. They keep leaving beer bottles and cigarette butts out and it's driving me crazy.

The management company doesn't care whatsoever (and might not be able to do anything; every unit is privately owned and I don't know if they own or rent or who they rent from). As an example some young man has parked his broken down old car with a completely flat tire in the lot for at least 6 months at this point. It's had one notice that it needs to be removed, but that was taken off a month ago and nothing has happened since. I'm also fairly certain that he moved out some time ago since his new car hasn't been seen since before summer.

I can't wait to move.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17357 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
Someone left a bunch of fast food trash in the corner of the parking lot where I park my car.  There's a Dumpster not 100 feet away and a trash can about the same distance away in a different direction.  We have maintenance people that will come and pick it up, but I think that leaving the trash there was SS behavior since there were disposal receptacles so close by.

Ugh. We live across the street from a place that sells food and I can't tell you how many styrofoam cups, drink containers, and other refuse we've found in our backyard along the fence.  We live right next to an alley that runs from our street to the  next street up so people tend to walk along it to get to the store rather than walking around the block, which makes sense. 

We are going to get a higher fence someday, hopefully that will be a good deterrent.

DH and I had a small pickup for about 6 years. We had to get rid of it, and not for the reasons one might think.

1. We would come out of a shopping center or store and find people sitting in the back of the pickup, eating. (This happened 3 separate times)
2. We would find someone had deposited trash/unwanted food/etc in the back. (This happened on a weekly basis)

It was so bizarre to me, I couldn't fathom a person who found it reasonable to open someone's pickup's tailgate, then make themselves cozy in the back. Just so strange! We had to call the police twice, because the people wouldn't get out of the back!

EvilTraska suggests getting in, starting the car up, and backing up as if to pull out of said spot until they make noise about it.  Then tell them they can get out here, or on the highway at 60 MPH.  (Not that you'd actually drive with them, but hey, they're crazy enough to get in, they'd probably believe you're crazy enough to actually do it.)

I need to develop a spine when it comes to EvilTraska.  On the other hand, she's fun.  :D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17358 on: September 28, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

Several families I know that have pickup trucks had a lid on the trunk part. Would that have helped? (I'm guessing not, since we're talking about real snowflakes here)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17359 on: September 28, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

EvilTraska suggests getting in, starting the car up, and backing up as if to pull out of said spot until they make noise about it.  Then tell them they can get out here, or on the highway at 60 MPH.  (Not that you'd actually drive with them, but hey, they're crazy enough to get in, they'd probably believe you're crazy enough to actually do it.)

I need to develop a spine when it comes to EvilTraska.  On the other hand, she's fun.  :D

Move over, Evil Traska.  You've got company.  I would consider strongly doing exactly that. 

Just pretend you didn't notice that there were people eating in your trunk.  Just ignore them altogether.  Get in your vehicle and take off.  If there's no one directly behind you, I'd go as fast as possible and then brake pretty suddenly too.  That should get their attention in case they hadn't noticed that their picnic table of choice was moving!   ;D

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #17360 on: September 28, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

Several families I know that have pickup trucks had a lid on the trunk part. Would that have helped? (I'm guessing not, since we're talking about real snowflakes here)

Probably only if it was able to be locked. My last truck had one and there were numerous times that I found strange things in the back when the lid wasn't locked or came out to find people in it.

When it was locked I didn't have that problem. (Though I did have one special snowflake try to open it to dump trash in it as I was walking through the parking lot toward it and then get snippy with me about it being locked.)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17361 on: September 28, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
Ladyknight1, did they ever give you a bunch of static about having to get up and move, or did they do it immediately?  I'm just curious.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17362 on: September 28, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »

I just cannot imagine making myself comfortable in the back of a stranger's truck.  Only thing I could see is if they had the exact same make, model and color and thought it was theirs.  But even still, that's still odd!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17363 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Move over, Evil Traska.  You've got company.  I would consider strongly doing exactly that. 

Just pretend you didn't notice that there were people eating in your trunk.  Just ignore them altogether.  Get in your vehicle and take off.  If there's no one directly behind you, I'd go as fast as possible and then brake pretty suddenly too.  That should get their attention in case they hadn't noticed that their picnic table of choice was moving!   ;D

Alternative:  Husband looks to wife: "See, I *told* you that manure just comes right out of this truck bed, but noooo, you said it'd stink!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17364 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »
Ladyknight1, did they ever give you a bunch of static about having to get up and move, or did they do it immediately?  I'm just curious.  :)

The first time, they acted all offended before packing up their stuff and moving on. Seems pickup truck beds make great picnic areas. The second and third times, we had to call the police.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17365 on: September 28, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »
An addendum to the truck bed story: This was a Ford Ranger Splash in a vibrant red-orange paint, so very distinctive and not easily mistaken for someone's own vehicle.

bloo

« Reply #17366 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »

The first time, they acted all offended before packing up their stuff and moving on. Seems pickup truck beds make great picnic areas. The second and third times, we had to call the police.

Wait a minute...you were forced to call the police because the Speshul Snowflakes refused to get out of your truck bed?!

magicdomino

« Reply #17367 on: September 28, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

I've owned pick-up trucks for 19 years, and never found picnickers in them.  Of course, they could have finished their meal before I got back, or maybe the tailgate is just too uncomfortable.   I have found trash in the bed, but only a few times. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17368 on: September 28, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »

Have to ask my BIL if he's ever had this happen.  Then again, he lives in Texas, and is also 6'4" and weighs 225, so it might not be an issue for him.

Pippen

« Reply #17369 on: September 28, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
My friend was brought up in a very remote part of Australia. Think a 4 hour drive to the shop. It was not uncommon to come back to the ute and find 15 of the locals on the back drinking and asking to be driven back to their settlement. You just had to take them as they were not getting off and there was no way of making them.