Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5302309 times)

magicdomino

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17370 on: September 28, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
DH and I had a small pickup for about 6 years. We had to get rid of it, and not for the reasons one might think.

1. We would come out of a shopping center or store and find people sitting in the back of the pickup, eating. (This happened 3 separate times)
2. We would find someone had deposited trash/unwanted food/etc in the back. (This happened on a weekly basis)

It was so bizarre to me, I couldn't fathom a person who found it reasonable to open someone's pickup's tailgate, then make themselves cozy in the back. Just so strange! We had to call the police twice, because the people wouldn't get out of the back!

I've owned pick-up trucks for 19 years, and never found picnickers in them.  Of course, they could have finished their meal before I got back, or maybe the tailgate is just too uncomfortable.   I have found trash in the bed, but only a few times. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17371 on: September 28, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
Ladyknight1, did they ever give you a bunch of static about having to get up and move, or did they do it immediately?  I'm just curious.  :)

The first time, they acted all offended before packing up their stuff and moving on. Seems pickup truck beds make great picnic areas. The second and third times, we had to call the police.

Have to ask my BIL if he's ever had this happen.  Then again, he lives in Texas, and is also 6'4" and weighs 225, so it might not be an issue for him.

Pippen

« Reply #17372 on: September 28, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
My friend was brought up in a very remote part of Australia. Think a 4 hour drive to the shop. It was not uncommon to come back to the ute and find 15 of the locals on the back drinking and asking to be driven back to their settlement. You just had to take them as they were not getting off and there was no way of making them.

norrina

« Reply #17373 on: September 28, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
Someone left a bunch of fast food trash in the corner of the parking lot where I park my car.  There's a Dumpster not 100 feet away and a trash can about the same distance away in a different direction.  We have maintenance people that will come and pick it up, but I think that leaving the trash there was SS behavior since there were disposal receptacles so close by.

Ugh. We live across the street from a place that sells food and I can't tell you how many styrofoam cups, drink containers, and other refuse we've found in our backyard along the fence.  We live right next to an alley that runs from our street to the  next street up so people tend to walk along it to get to the store rather than walking around the block, which makes sense. 

We are going to get a higher fence someday, hopefully that will be a good deterrent.

DH and I had a small pickup for about 6 years. We had to get rid of it, and not for the reasons one might think.

1. We would come out of a shopping center or store and find people sitting in the back of the pickup, eating. (This happened 3 separate times)
2. We would find someone had deposited trash/unwanted food/etc in the back. (This happened on a weekly basis)

It was so bizarre to me, I couldn't fathom a person who found it reasonable to open someone's pickup's tailgate, then make themselves cozy in the back. Just so strange! We had to call the police twice, because the people wouldn't get out of the back!

EvilTraska suggests getting in, starting the car up, and backing up as if to pull out of said spot until they make noise about it.  Then tell them they can get out here, or on the highway at 60 MPH.  (Not that you'd actually drive with them, but hey, they're crazy enough to get in, they'd probably believe you're crazy enough to actually do it.)

I need to develop a spine when it comes to EvilTraska.  On the other hand, she's fun.  :D

Honestly, I don't consider this evil. As soon as I read Lady Knight's problem I read it to DF and told him that if it were me I'd fire up the truck and get going. I didn't ask these people to get into my truck, I shouldn't have to ask them to get out. If they can't figure out they better beat feet when they see me climbing into the driver's seat, that's their problem.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #17374 on: September 28, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
The pickup truck one reminded me of something DF told me.

When he still lived in CA, he worked in construction. One day, he and a buddy/coworker of his had to go to a Lowe's type box store for some supplies.

As they were going into the store, an associate from the store noticed someone sneaking up to buddy's truck bed unlocked tool box, and told the guys about it. Buddy said not to worry about it. They walked up to associate and turned around to watch the fun unfold.

Would be thief walks along the bed of the truck, looking around. Without looking into the bed of the truck, he reaches over to the tool box. Much to his surprise, he was greeted by a very large, and not very amused Great Dane. DF tells me, the 3 of them stood there and laughed as would be thief took off running and didn't slow down all that much.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17375 on: September 28, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
I used to have a Ranger, too, but I had a cap on it so I didn't have the picnickers or the trash.  But If I'd come back to people in the bed of my truck?  I think I'd have fired it up and driven to the nearest police station!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

turtleIScream

« Reply #17376 on: September 28, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »

When he still lived in CA, he worked in construction. One day, he and a buddy/coworker of his had to go to a Lowe's type box store for some supplies.

As they were going into the store, an associate from the store noticed someone sneaking up to buddy's truck bed unlocked tool box, and told the guys about it. Buddy said not to worry about it. They walked up to associate and turned around to watch the fun unfold.

Would be thief walks along the bed of the truck, looking around. Without looking into the bed of the truck, he reaches over to the tool box. Much to his surprise, he was greeted by a very large, and not very amused Great Dane. DF tells me, the 3 of them stood there and laughed as would be thief took off running and didn't slow down all that much.

We've had various workmen in our home over the years, and I have wondered why they all brought their big dogs and left them in the truck. It never occurred to me before these stories that the dog might be a theft deterrent. I guess it's kind of good I don't think like a criminal...

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17377 on: September 28, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
Ladyknight1, did they ever give you a bunch of static about having to get up and move, or did they do it immediately?  I'm just curious.  :)

The first time, they acted all offended before packing up their stuff and moving on. Seems pickup truck beds make great picnic areas. The second and third times, we had to call the police.

Wait a minute...you were forced to call the police because the Speshul Snowflakes refused to get out of your truck bed?!

I know, how bizarre!! Ladyknight1, what did they say to you? How were they trying to justify themselves? I just can't comprehend this.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17378 on: September 28, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »

*sporfles*

One day while I was still living at home I went to the gym and looked over to see my mother parked nearby. The dogs were in the car. I reached through the open window for something- and nearly got nailed by a very startled dog, who was then panicked to think she'd almost bitten me. I reassured her that she was a GOOD DOG and I was an idiot for surprising her. All she saw was an arm- she didn't know it was me until I yelped as her fangs headed towards my wrist.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BarensMom

« Reply #17379 on: September 28, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
My friend was brought up in a very remote part of Australia. Think a 4 hour drive to the shop. It was not uncommon to come back to the ute and find 15 of the locals on the back drinking and asking to be driven back to their settlement. You just had to take them as they were not getting off and there was no way of making them.

Did they at least share their booze with your friend? 

Pippen

« Reply #17380 on: September 28, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »

Did they at least share their booze with your friend?

Nah they would just have a big party on the back

Army Mom

« Reply #17381 on: September 28, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
I had a SS yourcarismytrashcanasaurus years ago. I was lugging my laundry out of the laundromat, carrying ArmySon. It took several trips to load it all in the back of the station wagon (yikes I'm old if I actually owned one of those!)

SS and friends were doing some impromptu tailgating before the local college football game. The laundromat shared a parking lot with a liquor store. Upon draining his bottle of whiskey, he looked around and decided my basket of clean laundry was a great trashcan. As I was walking back to the car, I watched him calmly walk over, reach inside my vehicle and tuck the empty in with my laundry!

Cue embarrassed SS. I removed the bottle, marched up, tapped him on the shoulder and loudly announced "you must have accidentally put this in my car instead of the trash" and firmly handed it back. I could hear his friends laughing at him for the whole block :D

Jocelyn

« Reply #17382 on: September 29, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
We've had various workmen in our home over the years, and I have wondered why they all brought their big dogs and left them in the truck. It never occurred to me before these stories that the dog might be a theft deterrent. I guess it's kind of good I don't think like a criminal...
In his youth, my BIL took his border collie to work with him.  My sister said that she never worried about him working alone on a site, because she knew that Pearl would out-Lassie Lassie if the situation demanded it. Two other crew chiefs also took their dogs with them. My sister was in a store once and heard a customer telling her friend about having some home repairs done. The friend asked which company was doing it, and the customer replied, 'The one with the black-and-white dogs.'

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17383 on: September 29, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Probably running home to change his pants!

No one was a SS in this story but it is in the same vein:  When my parents were dating, my Dad had this big German Shepard that didn't like my Mom all that much.  They were travelling somewhere and needed to stop for gas.  Dad had the great idea to stop the car about a mile from the gas station and take the dog for a bit of a run.  So Mom drove into the gas station and moved to the passenger seat.  The attendant started filling the tank and went to look after another customer.  Dad arrived, put Major in the back of the car and went to wash his hands.  The attendant came back and went to wash the windshield.  The dog lunged from the backseat, running his paws down the windshield.  Mom hit Major in the chest and told him to get back.  She wondered later why he didn't attack her.

Attendant just about had a heart attack and probably needed to change his pants.

And Mom and Dad sold that car with claw marks down the inside of the windshield.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17384 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

...    The attendant came back and went to wash the windshield.  The dog lunged from the backseat, running his paws down the windshield.  Mom hit Major in the chest and told him to get back.  She wondered later why he didn't attack her.

It sounds like the dog who 'didn't like your mother very much' was actually protecting her!