Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5743885 times)

Ereine

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17430 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
In my experience 10 minutes is also nothing for trains, they usually manage to make it up if there's a decent distance to go, depending on other traffic of course. Here people are only asked if they have a connection they will miss if the train is late. 

faithlessone

« Reply #17431 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
I'm going to assume that the man in this case didn't have a valid reason for his primary actions. If he did, I apologise, but whatever the case, the last thing he did was totally unacceptable!

I was driving down a narrow country lane this morning. Every now and again, there are gates, with small pull-in spaces, which make it perfectly possible for two cars to pass each other at those points.

As I was driving, I met another car coming the other way. It was driven by a man, who I'd estimate to be in his 30s. I had just come round a reasonably sharp bend, and I could see a gateway about 100 yards or so behind the other car, so I waited a few seconds, expecting him to back up a little so I could get past.

But no, he actually started inching towards me, so I had to reverse. And keep reversing, backwards round a corner, and (in all) almost 1/2 a mile. (I checked the trip meter) Now, I'm not very good at reversing, and I was terrified of meeting another car behind me, so this took a while. It took several minutes for me to reverse all the way, and to get into the pull in.

Fine. But the really unacceptable thing? When he drove past, he rolled down his window and screamed "F***** woman driver!" at me! What an SS!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17432 on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
I'm a bit late to the SS parent parking at the school idea, I see that it's been discussed in this thread for years. But my son just started preschool, so this is my first real experience with it. DS's school is in a neighborhood. I get on the through street about a mile and a half from his school and actually pass another school to get to his. I typically set my cruise control because it is sooo easy to speed down that street. Several times I've had people riding my bumper and one guy in a big truck was actually revving his engine at me when I had the nerve to slow down at the school crossing (15mph speed limit). On another occasion a driver went into the bike lane (on this street it's as wide as a car lane) to pass me on the right.

Then we get to the school itself. To get our preschoolers, we have to park on the street, walk to the classroom and sign them in/out. On the corner there is a fire hydrant, so clearly you can't park there right? Am I the only one who thinks parking in front of a fire hydrant is not allowed? Even if its only 5 min. Today we got a flyer reminding parents not to park under the no parking signs ::) ::)
For the bolded - try putting on your hazard lights. I've done before when people were trying to force me to speed in a school zone. They backed off.

Check your local laws first. It is illegal in Florida to use hazard lights while moving in the travel lanes. We have many accidents each year caused by drivers using them and the traffic around them thinks they are stopped.

Iris

« Reply #17433 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
In my experience 10 minutes is also nothing for trains, they usually manage to make it up if there's a decent distance to go, depending on other traffic of course. Here people are only asked if they have a connection they will miss if the train is late.

I'm not sure why he asked, although Long Train did travel through some fairly rural areas and it is entirely possible that the local buses would be timetabled to meet the trains. Of course, knowing that line the guard probably would have radioed the bus company to sort it out...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Adelaide

« Reply #17434 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Jimmy John's delivery guy just called me in a huff and said "Hey, can you come down to the lobby and get your food?" Yeah, sorry you're 15 minutes earlier than the time I requested and had printed in bold on my ticket, but that's not my problem. He just seemed so put out on the phone, and after I raced down to the lobby so I wouldn't keep him waiting, I had to stand there for at least 2 minutes. He wasn't even at the building yet.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17435 on: October 04, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
I ended up at the air pump today (low tire pressure). 

The pump is in the corne of the gas station parking lot - cement curb & landscaping to the left & behind it - so only ONE parking space can really use it - the one in front of it.  The one to the right is marked for handicapped use only.  The hose is not long enough to reach past the second parking space (handicapped).  To the left of the curb to the left is a travel lane - so only TWO parking spaces are in reach of the hose and one of those is handicapped only.

Some SS had parked their vehicle in front of the air pump instead of in one of the ten or fourteen parking spaces on the rigt side of the handicapped parking space.

Air pump slot/ handicapped slot/ LOTS of empty parking space.

All four of my tires were 20-25% low - so I parked in the handicapped slot - aired them up - then left a note on the SS Pump Blocker's vehicle asking that they PLEASE not block access to the air pump in the future & signed it "person with four tires who needed the pump".

I did not let Snarky & Evil out to let the air out of their tires...although they tried to talk me into it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17436 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Oh VorFemme, you are a much much better person than me.

Ereine

« Reply #17437 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I'm not sure if they were actually special snowflakes or just annoying (and maybe they had some good hidden reason though they appeared to have no problems with mobility) but I don't think that a very full bus (so that people have to stand) is the place to transport a bicycle, especially if it involves only travelling maybe 500 meters (and if they walked they could have taken a short cut), arguing with an old lady with a walker and some other passengers and passive aggressive sighing and counting to ten in a loud voice (to show how she was trying to calm her anger). She was also commenting to her companion about how it's always so difficult in Finland (the companion was a foreigner). With a little better attitude she might find things easier.

ThatGirl

« Reply #17438 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
Oooh, all the plane/medical emergency ones reminded me of this - it was about 15 years ago but still makes me annoyed.

I was a Saturday girl in a 2-floor clothing shop (any UK Ehellions remember Etam/Tammy Girl?) and was working on the ground floor when our manager let us know that there was a medical emergency on the upper floor - a pregnant customer had, very sadly, begun to miscarry her baby in the fitting rooms. She was obviously hugely distressed and in pain, and an ambulance had been called. The store manager asked me and another staff member to clear racks to one side to make a clear run for the paramedics and to guide customers towards the other end of the shop for a short time until the lady had been assessed and taken to hospital.

I have never, either before or since, encountered such ghoulish and entitled people. We were being as polite as possible, bearing in mind the time constraints and amount of tasks to be carried out, and fortunately the shop wasn't too busy so moving the racks didn't create too much of an issue. However, a group of 3 or 4 customers became quite aerated when I asked them if they would mind moving away to allow the paramedics through and started to insist that they wouldn't be in the way, they had important shopping to get on with, and what could possibly be so wrong anyway? My final straw came when a woman basically pushed around me to peer at this poor lady being wheeled from the shop wrapped in blankets and announced loudly 'What's wrong with her then?' I really hope that none of them never had to suffer a horrible experience in such a public place and be treated like a sideshow for passersby.

MyFamily

« Reply #17439 on: October 05, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
I heard the tale-end of this story on the radio this morning, so I don't know the original source.  At airports (all or some, I don't know), people in wheelchairs have a special line that is much faster than the regular line because there are less people in it.  I'm guessing the special line is because the TSA agents need to be specially trained on doing a security check on someone in a wheelchair.  According to the dj's on the radio this morning, there are people who are claiming that they need wheelchair assistance at airports so they can go through the line, but they are lying about their need for assistance.  They specifically mentioned a story of a woman who was in a wheelchair, got fast-tracked through the security line and then after got out of her wheelchair, grabbed two heavy bags and walked off.  I personally view people like that the same as I view people who park in handicapped spots when they don't need to, and I pray that karma doesn't come back and bite them in the tush and truly put them in that position.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17440 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
I heard the tale-end of this story on the radio this morning, so I don't know the original source.  At airports (all or some, I don't know), people in wheelchairs have a special line that is much faster than the regular line because there are less people in it.  I'm guessing the special line is because the TSA agents need to be specially trained on doing a security check on someone in a wheelchair.  According to the dj's on the radio this morning, there are people who are claiming that they need wheelchair assistance at airports so they can go through the line, but they are lying about their need for assistance.  They specifically mentioned a story of a woman who was in a wheelchair, got fast-tracked through the security line and then after got out of her wheelchair, grabbed two heavy bags and walked off.  I personally view people like that the same as I view people who park in handicapped spots when they don't need to, and I pray that karma doesn't come back and bite them in the tush and truly put them in that position.

I (and whoever is traveling with me) use the disabled access because I use a walking stick and have more than the average amount of medications/durable medical equipment all of which requires special screening. I am usually the only person in that line when traveling, and we just came back from a two week trip.

It is quite ridiculous to fake needing that line, as the only thing it saves you is turning in the regular queue lines. You still wait with the remainder of the people.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17441 on: October 05, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
Oooh, all the plane/medical emergency ones reminded me of this - it was about 15 years ago but still makes me annoyed.

I was a Saturday girl in a 2-floor clothing shop (any UK Ehellions remember Etam/Tammy Girl?) and was working on the ground floor when our manager let us know that there was a medical emergency on the upper floor - a pregnant customer had, very sadly, begun to miscarry her baby in the fitting rooms. She was obviously hugely distressed and in pain, and an ambulance had been called. The store manager asked me and another staff member to clear racks to one side to make a clear run for the paramedics and to guide customers towards the other end of the shop for a short time until the lady had been assessed and taken to hospital.

I have never, either before or since, encountered such ghoulish and entitled people. We were being as polite as possible, bearing in mind the time constraints and amount of tasks to be carried out, and fortunately the shop wasn't too busy so moving the racks didn't create too much of an issue. However, a group of 3 or 4 customers became quite aerated when I asked them if they would mind moving away to allow the paramedics through and started to insist that they wouldn't be in the way, they had important shopping to get on with, and what could possibly be so wrong anyway? My final straw came when a woman basically pushed around me to peer at this poor lady being wheeled from the shop wrapped in blankets and announced loudly 'What's wrong with her then?' I really hope that none of them never had to suffer a horrible experience in such a public place and be treated like a sideshow for passersby.

How horrible for the lady in question. I am astonished by people's reactions to real crises in life.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17442 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »

I (and whoever is traveling with me) use the disabled access because I use a walking stick and have more than the average amount of medications/durable medical equipment all of which requires special screening. I am usually the only person in that line when traveling, and we just came back from a two week trip.

It is quite ridiculous to fake needing that line, as the only thing it saves you is turning in the regular queue lines. You still wait with the remainder of the people.
I also carry durable medical equipment (a CPAP machine), have a lot of meds, and use a cane, and I've never noticed that there WAS a handicapped line at airport security!   :o Regular screening has never once blinked at any of it. They don't bother to look at the pill bottles in my carryon.  Sometimes they take the CPAP aside for other testing, but that's all, and not every airport security will do even that.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17443 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
I have sharps, and vials of injectible medication, so I looked at the TSA website and found out about the other lane. I don't want to hold up other people.

renfield1969

« Reply #17444 on: October 05, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »

Why didn't the TSA agents stop her? She was still obviously in sight of them, and that certainly seems to be an exhibit of suspicious behavior. After going through in a wheelchair and then jumping up to rush off with two heavy bags, I'm surprised she wasn't tackled and brought to a pivate interview room for several hours of intense screening.

Of course, since we're hearing about this more than third hand, it could just as easily be a case where the person could walk but not stand for long stretches, so when she was done with security she got up, retrieved her purse and carry-on and walked to her gate.