Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5647294 times)

Shea

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17460 on: October 06, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
I'm not sure if this was exactly SS, but this guy was definite at least a little Special.

I was in the grocery store today, mulling over the cereal options, when a guy came walking down the aisle in my direction, carrying an armful of large bottles of cranberry juice. When he was about 4 or 5 feet away from me, one of the bottles slipped from his arm and fell to the floor. The cap popped off and cranberry juice went everywhere. Understandably annoyed, the guy muttered under his breath and continued down the aisle, looking around in a manner that suggested he was searching for an employee to tell about the spill. As he was passing next to me, the uncapped, now half-empty bottle again slipped from his grasp and fell at my feet, spraying bright red juice onto my jeans and up onto my shirt, which as luck would have it was my favorite light blue t-shirt.

Instead of apologizing profusely as a normal polite person would do, the man glared at me and said, "You shouldn't have been standing there!" and walked off, coming back moments later with a store employee. I would really have liked to say something like, "What, you mean the place I was standing the whole time you were dropping juice everywhere?!" but that would be both impolite and engaging the (potentially) crazy, so I just got my groceries, went home and scrubbed at the stains on my shirt. Fortunately, they seem to have come out okay.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MindsEye

« Reply #17461 on: October 06, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Impatient SS at the grocery store (I just got back a little bit ago and am still shaking my head a bit over it)

I had a full cart and was using one of the regular self-check lanes.  (My grocery store has regular self check lanes for regular to large loads and smaller fast lane self check kiosks for under 10 items.  This is all very clearly marked.)  So I am about half way through my cart and the self-check station notifies me in its cute computerized voice that "the conveyer belt is backed up, please clear the belt."  So I go to the end of the belt and start to bag the groceries that I have scanned, because that is really the only way to clear the belt. 

A woman with a small basket of items walks up to the lane that I am using, shoves my still half full cart out of the way, and acts like she is going to start scanning her items.

Me: Hey!  You need to wait until I am done here!
Impatient woman: Are you done?
Me: Uh, no!  Does it look like I am done?
Impatient woman: So when will you be done?
Me: If you are in a hurry, go use one of the fast lanes.
Impatient Woman wanders off muttering not-so-much under her breath about the rude female dog getting in her way.

Geeze, lady.  I am sorry that you have to deal with the fact that there are other people in the grocery store besides yourself!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17462 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
This isn't any specific story, but it's something I've noticed over the years in parking lots.  People just don't seem to hurry to get out of your way anymore, or maybe I'm noticing it a bit more.  Exceptions being people trying to corral little kids or people with limited mobility.  No, I'm talking about people who can move, but choose not to.

1.  Crossing the parking lot without looking to see if traffic is coming, then giving you the stink eye when they surprise you into slamming on your brakes.  Bonus points if they throw up one or both hands in a "The HECK you doing?!" gesture.

2.  Walking side-by-side in a slow amble, making you drive so slowly that it barely registers on your speedometer.

3.  Walking right in the middle of the drive aisle, cart or no cart, like they own the place.

I grew up learning that, if at all possible, you stay off to one side or jog to get out of the car's way.  When I worked at a store with a big parking lot, customers like this made me late, even when I left early to avoid it.  :-\

jane7166

« Reply #17463 on: October 06, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
This isn't any specific story, but it's something I've noticed over the years in parking lots.  People just don't seem to hurry to get out of your way anymore, or maybe I'm noticing it a bit more.  Exceptions being people trying to corral little kids or people with limited mobility.  No, I'm talking about people who can move, but choose not to.

1.  Crossing the parking lot without looking to see if traffic is coming, then giving you the stink eye when they surprise you into slamming on your brakes.  Bonus points if they throw up one or both hands in a "The HECK you doing?!" gesture.

2.  Walking side-by-side in a slow amble, making you drive so slowly that it barely registers on your speedometer.

3.  Walking right in the middle of the drive aisle, cart or no cart, like they own the place.

I grew up learning that, if at all possible, you stay off to one side or jog to get out of the car's way.  When I worked at a store with a big parking lot, customers like this made me late, even when I left early to avoid it.  :-\

A few weeks ago, I was making the turn into the driveway of a medical building when I encounter a woman in scrubs walking  slowly in the parking lot and heading directly towards the front of my car - texting.  I have a hybrid so my car doesn't make much noise.  She kept coming at me so I extremely gently tooted my horn and her head jerked up and she realized what was going on.  I was laughing because it just hit me as very funny.   She smiled, mouthed, "Sorry!" and moved over to the side of the driveway. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17464 on: October 06, 2012, 05:30:24 PM »
I'm not sure if they were actually special snowflakes or just annoying (and maybe they had some good hidden reason though they appeared to have no problems with mobility) but I don't think that a very full bus (so that people have to stand) is the place to transport a bicycle, especially if it involves only travelling maybe 500 meters (and if they walked they could have taken a short cut), arguing with an old lady with a walker and some other passengers and passive aggressive sighing and counting to ten in a loud voice (to show how she was trying to calm her anger). She was also commenting to her companion about how it's always so difficult in Finland (the companion was a foreigner). With a little better attitude she might find things easier.

Did she actually bring the bike on the bus?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17465 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
Please remember that not all handicaps are visible and/or qualify for handicap parking spots.  On my best days, my fastest pace is described as a "slow amble" by my DH.  He keeps pace with me in the parking lot to help if needed.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17466 on: October 06, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
Please remember that not all handicaps are visible and/or qualify for handicap parking spots.  On my best days, my fastest pace is described as a "slow amble" by my DH.  He keeps pace with me in the parking lot to help if needed.
But I expect that you do not do this in the middle of the lane and you move over to let people drive by.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17467 on: October 06, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

I do understand that, and I try not to assume.  But it happens so often around where I live that it can't always be the case.

MOM21SON

« Reply #17468 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
I was in Walmart today.  I saw people moving from a line so I went to that line thinking they were in a hurry.  Well the customer had tons of WIC checks and had gotten the wrong items and the cashier was letting her/making her run back and forth to get the correct items.  It's walmart, not a convenience store!  Yeah, I was irritated but watched the show in amazement.  They seemed to be friends.

The store in my area is HUGE.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17469 on: October 08, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
I just remembered a coworker who is very entitled, but it normally didn't affect me since we didn't do the same job.  Didn't affect me, that is, until my last day.  I was packing up personal belongings which included a nice foot stool, fan, and desktop supplies (I didn't like the ones they give us).  She said "You're giving those to me, right?"  She was deadly serious and was very shocked and annoyed with I said no. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17470 on: October 08, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
"Of course I am!  If you'll wait right here, my manservant James will be here to gift wrap the items in 24K gold, he just hasn't arrived yet.  Poor dear, the commute from Narnia is terrible this time of year, even by unicorn."

Wait, she *didn't* want a response from Snarky?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17471 on: October 08, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
Several I saw yesterday. I was waiting to turn left onto a road, and on that road, to my left, I heard sirens, and saw an ambulance.  The light turned green, and while there probably could have been enough time for me to go, I waited.  But the three cars in the lane to my right, going straight, did not. All three zoomed across the road, the third literally just missing being t-boned by the ambulance.  All because they might ahve to wait for the NEXT cycle of the traffic light.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #17472 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
People who just stop dead in the middle of the path for no obvious reason. For example students!!!!!! Nottingham is full of students right now. Most of them do move if you say a polite "Excuse me please" but some just stand there and stare at you with the attitude of them"why should I move?". It drives me mad.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

littlebird

« Reply #17473 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

Or people who cross at a long diagonal on the road instead of straight across. To be specific:
A young woman crossing in front of the gym who started out in the crosswalk... and ended up 15 feet further down the road, walking slowly the entire time and holding up an increasing amount of traffic. She was, you see, texting (or doing something with her phone) on the way to the gym, and the entrance is not in direct line with the crosswalk...

Miss Misha

« Reply #17474 on: October 08, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
I present to you a PSA prompted by someone I saw driving today:

Please, do not speak on your phone while driving. If you must, please do not "speak with your hands" (the person you are speaking with will not see your gestures anyhow). If you are driving with one hand at your ear and the other waving in the air, somehow maneuvering with your knee (I assume) then at LEAST keep your eyes on the road, not on the half dozen papers spread on your steering wheel and dashboard.

Catching up on the thread, so I apologize for the lateness of my response.

And also don't try and look at your printed, multipage directions while driving your convertible, with the top down, at 65 MPH.  Saw that yesterday.  It really didn't work so well.