Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4388280 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17475 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
People who just stop dead in the middle of the path for no obvious reason. For example students!!!!!! Nottingham is full of students right now. Most of them do move if you say a polite "Excuse me please" but some just stand there and stare at you with the attitude of them"why should I move?". It drives me mad.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

littlebird

« Reply #17476 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
This isn't any specific story, but it's something I've noticed over the years in parking lots.  People just don't seem to hurry to get out of your way anymore, or maybe I'm noticing it a bit more.  Exceptions being people trying to corral little kids or people with limited mobility.  No, I'm talking about people who can move, but choose not to.

1.  Crossing the parking lot without looking to see if traffic is coming, then giving you the stink eye when they surprise you into slamming on your brakes.  Bonus points if they throw up one or both hands in a "The HECK you doing?!" gesture.

2.  Walking side-by-side in a slow amble, making you drive so slowly that it barely registers on your speedometer.

3.  Walking right in the middle of the drive aisle, cart or no cart, like they own the place.

I grew up learning that, if at all possible, you stay off to one side or jog to get out of the car's way.  When I worked at a store with a big parking lot, customers like this made me late, even when I left early to avoid it.  :-\

Or people who cross at a long diagonal on the road instead of straight across. To be specific:
A young woman crossing in front of the gym who started out in the crosswalk... and ended up 15 feet further down the road, walking slowly the entire time and holding up an increasing amount of traffic. She was, you see, texting (or doing something with her phone) on the way to the gym, and the entrance is not in direct line with the crosswalk...

Miss Misha

« Reply #17477 on: October 08, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
I present to you a PSA prompted by someone I saw driving today:

Please, do not speak on your phone while driving. If you must, please do not "speak with your hands" (the person you are speaking with will not see your gestures anyhow). If you are driving with one hand at your ear and the other waving in the air, somehow maneuvering with your knee (I assume) then at LEAST keep your eyes on the road, not on the half dozen papers spread on your steering wheel and dashboard.

Catching up on the thread, so I apologize for the lateness of my response.

And also don't try and look at your printed, multipage directions while driving your convertible, with the top down, at 65 MPH.  Saw that yesterday.  It really didn't work so well.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #17478 on: October 08, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »

Which begs a question. In a situation like this were you go through customs before boarding the flight into the US - what happens when the flight is canceled. Do you have to leave through Canadian Customs?

I had this happen once, though without the special snowflake nonsense: just a day of bad weather, and eventually was told I (and lots of other people) would have to be rebooked on a flight the next day. I exited through Canadian Customs, in the sense that I talked to a customs officer, but they had special paperwork to use for this situation, because I obviously wasn't bringing anything from the U.S. into Canada.

As it happened, I hadn't packed an extra day's change of clothes (other than underwear), so I went back to the airport in the same zoo t-shirt with a large elephant on the front. Noteworthy only because I wound up with the same U.S. immigration agent both days, and he remembered the shirt from the first time through.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Miss Misha

« Reply #17479 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Two SS on the walking trail over the weekend.  It was a lovely Indian Summer day and the path was crowded.  Most walkers were good about letting faster walkers by or sharing the path with oncoming walkers (not walking abreast, but moving to single file when others were oncoming).  However, our SS were, well, SPECHUL!  Both had strollers and were walking side by side, taking up the whole path.  Not only were they impeding traffic behind them, but oncoming walkers had to go off the path, onto protected meadowlands (stay on the trail signs everywhere). They studiously avoided my " Excuse me?" when I tried to get their attention to let me and about 12 others who had piled up behind them to pass.  The kicker?  We get to the endpoint of the path and their respective husbands asked them what took them so long.  One of the SS giggled and said, "There were so many people on the path!"  Yeah, lady, piled up behind you or jumping out of your way. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #17480 on: October 08, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
I'm afraid I was PA here and may have been an SS myself...but it didn't start out like that.

This weekend I got back from vacation (where there were no SS) and friends and I went to retrieve our luggage after disembarking from the plane.  We had to wait a bit.  Those of us who got there early ringed the carousel, crunching in to accomodate others who arrived later.  The luggage came in on one side and most people hung around there to get their bags.  Friend and I thought it made more sense to stand as far as possible from the incoming luggage, thinking things would be easier there.

The best laid plans...

A few of the folks who were breathing down on the incoming luggage suddenly decided they would wait at the far end of the carousel, too.  Fair enough except that they started pushing out of the way folks who had been waiting in the same spot for quite a while.

As my bag comes aro9und the carousel, I reached to get it with both hands, only to have it slide when my arthritic left hand couldn't keep a tight enough grip.  I tried to grab at it again, but even though I was leaning towards it and had a hand on it, some man pushed between me and my suitcase so that I had to wait for it come around again.

And I didn't want to shove so I kept saying "excuse me" and worked my way back to the front....and had to watch the bag go away again because as I was reaching for it, I was shoved out of the way yet again by someone who "just wanted to be in front".

So on the third try, I had finally gotten back to where I had been (the very, very end so as to be out of everyone's way)  a young man walks up to where I am and says "Excuse me, ma'am, but *I* am waiting for my bags so I need to stand in front of you."  I asked him if they happened to be any of the ones coming up and he said "No.  I just want to be here when they do."  I said "Well THAT is MY bag coming up right now and you'll forgive me for being bee-itchy, but it's the  third time I have tried to get it and I am not going to be nice anymore."  "Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."

And as I reach for my bag, another woman who was with him tries to get in front of me...and like I said, I stopped with the whole excuse me thing and planted my not inconsiderable backside in front of her and said "I'm sorry, but I am just grabbing this suitcase and NOW you can get in."  Perhaps I should have walked around to the other side, but it was exactly as crowded there as it was in my area, so it would have made no difference.  But it really irked me that people who had arrived first were being shoved aside by others who didn't want to wait their turn. 

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17481 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
Two SS on the walking trail over the weekend.  It was a lovely Indian Summer day and the path was crowded.  Most walkers were good about letting faster walkers by or sharing the path with oncoming walkers (not walking abreast, but moving to single file when others were oncoming).  However, our SS were, well, SPECHUL!  Both had strollers and were walking side by side, taking up the whole path.  Not only were they impeding traffic behind them, but oncoming walkers had to go off the path, onto protected meadowlands (stay on the trail signs everywhere). They studiously avoided my " Excuse me?" when I tried to get their attention to let me and about 12 others who had piled up behind them to pass.  The kicker?  We get to the endpoint of the path and their respective husbands asked them what took them so long.  One of the SS giggled and said, "There were so many people on the path!"  Yeah, lady, piled up behind you or jumping out of your way.

I and Dark Best Friend are what we like to refer to as "sturdy"; another way to put it is that we have child-bearing hips.  I also have a strong streak of stubbornness.  I am that person you see absolutely refusing to move off the trail as those SS's approached me from the other direction.  I will stop and stand there until they are forced to move if I have to; I've done it plenty of times before.

I am also that person (you, in this case, trying to get around them) who would SHOUT "Excuse me!" if I had to.  No, I don't think that is rude, especially because in cases like this I will not allow myself to be subjected to someone else's rudeness.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #17482 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
So on the third try, I had finally gotten back to where I had been (the very, very end so as to be out of everyone's way)  a young man walks up to where I am and says "Excuse me, ma'am, but *I* am waiting for my bags so I need to stand in front of you."  I asked him if they happened to be any of the ones coming up and he said "No.  I just want to be here when they do."  I said "Well THAT is MY bag coming up right now and you'll forgive me for being bee-itchy, but it's the  third time I have tried to get it and I am not going to be nice anymore."  "Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."
Oh for goodness sake, why else would you be standing there?

Victoria

Melde

« Reply #17483 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »

Oh for goodness sake, why else would you be standing there?

Because someone totally said Elvis was there.

AnnaT

« Reply #17484 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
My pet airport SS-peeve is the yellow line around the baggage carousel.  It's there for a reason (generic) people!  If everyone stood behind it, everyone could see their bags coming and step forward unhindered to retrieve it!  >:(

Is top of mind at the moment because in 22 DAYS (!!!) I'm on a plane to Hawaii!!! A 10 hour flight so not looking forward to that part but the sun, sand and shopping (my 3 favourite s's) are definitely eagerly anticipated...  8)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17485 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:37 AM »
Ooh~  I'm jealous!

Nox

« Reply #17486 on: October 09, 2012, 04:56:06 AM »
"Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."

Where is he from  that it's common for people to stand around luggage carousels when they don't have luggage coming? Is it considered a form of meditation to watch bags go round and round? I suppose it was probably one of those random things that comes out of one's mouth that one looks back on and cringes, but I probably would have stared at him like he'd grown an extra head right in front of me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17487 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Once again my store's FB page has provided fodder for the SS thread:

BG: we will offer "best customer" discounts throughout the year.  What that means is chargeholders get the discount for a few days prior to it being available to the general public (i.e. those without a store charge). And there will be several methods of communicating this; emails; coupons in catalogs or sent to a select group, which I can't figure out how that's determined. Basically, they are one and the same, but can't be combined. So this time it was 25% off for all chargeholders, for FULL price merchandise.  but if someone had the coupon, it was 25% off ALL, sale and full price.  I don't get why the company does that, but they do.  And since we don't scan the coupon, but there's a code in the system, we generally give 25% of everything to everyone. end BG

So someone posted on the page how they were upset they couldn't combine the 25% coupon with the 25% best customer.  And how she was told that that was a preview, etc. and that she didn't feel special beacuse of it.  That if they were extending it initially to only some customers, but she was told all in the store, it wasn't special anymore.  I was scratching my head over that one.  In what universe can you combine TWO 25% off (which are really the same) offers and get almost 50!% off?

And a bonus one: someone else thought it was horrible customer service because in making a return which she had used both her credit card, and a portion of a gift card, she was given a separate gift card with that amount on it, and how it was so terrible.  But as others pointed out, it is considered fraud to put the entire amount back on the cc, and unfortunately, OUR gift cards won't allow you to add to one, hence the new one.

Retail definitely has its challenges!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17488 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
I get that all the time at the local drugstore. 

One line feeds two or three registers.  People who are used to the place have a standard procedure.  The person paying is at the counter.  The next on line stands a few feet back near a display of snack cakes.  The third person and the rest of the line forms down an aisle leaving a space between the snack cakes and the start of the aisles for shoppers entering the store.

I don't know how many times I've been the third person with a line behind me and someone will stand right behind the snack cakes.  This person will be amazed to discover that a line exists.

Oh no, we're not on line.  We get our jollies standing in a drugstore aisle with boxes of tissues and half-gallons of milk. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #17489 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Several I saw yesterday. I was waiting to turn left onto a road, and on that road, to my left, I heard sirens, and saw an ambulance.  The light turned green, and while there probably could have been enough time for me to go, I waited.  But the three cars in the lane to my right, going straight, did not. All three zoomed across the road, the third literally just missing being t-boned by the ambulance.  All because they might ahve to wait for the NEXT cycle of the traffic light.
I saw something similar once, except that it was only one car that decided he had to cross in front of the ambulance. Just after the ambulance passed, we herd another siren, so had to wait for a police car. That made us miss the green light and have to wait through the whole cycle again.

Which meant that by the time I got a few blocks down the street, I was treated to the sight of a very unhappy Mr. Impatient, standing next to his car and having a "chat" with a very stern looking police office.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data