Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5643061 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17490 on: October 09, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
Two SS on the walking trail over the weekend.  It was a lovely Indian Summer day and the path was crowded.  Most walkers were good about letting faster walkers by or sharing the path with oncoming walkers (not walking abreast, but moving to single file when others were oncoming).  However, our SS were, well, SPECHUL!  Both had strollers and were walking side by side, taking up the whole path.  Not only were they impeding traffic behind them, but oncoming walkers had to go off the path, onto protected meadowlands (stay on the trail signs everywhere). They studiously avoided my " Excuse me?" when I tried to get their attention to let me and about 12 others who had piled up behind them to pass.  The kicker?  We get to the endpoint of the path and their respective husbands asked them what took them so long.  One of the SS giggled and said, "There were so many people on the path!"  Yeah, lady, piled up behind you or jumping out of your way.

I and Dark Best Friend are what we like to refer to as "sturdy"; another way to put it is that we have child-bearing hips.  I also have a strong streak of stubbornness.  I am that person you see absolutely refusing to move off the trail as those SS's approached me from the other direction.  I will stop and stand there until they are forced to move if I have to; I've done it plenty of times before.

I am also that person (you, in this case, trying to get around them) who would SHOUT "Excuse me!" if I had to.  No, I don't think that is rude, especially because in cases like this I will not allow myself to be subjected to someone else's rudeness.

This reminds me of crowded walkways at theme parks and other places as well. I will not jump out of the way, you will need to move over. I am tired of being hit by people's strollers or electric scooters, especially when they can see me coming!
I have had one young woman actually trip on my walking stick which was less than two inches from my foot. She had the nerve to get mad at me!

Wench

« Reply #17491 on: October 09, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »
I nearly was a special snowflake.  I was driving home in heavy rain and saw a jogger waiting to cross the road.  I then realised I was approaching a zebra crossing where pedestrians have right of way.  I managed to stop in time and the jogger thanked me.  Luckily I think he realised that the crossing was quite hard to see in the rain and decided to wait to see if I would stop!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17492 on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
Several I saw yesterday. I was waiting to turn left onto a road, and on that road, to my left, I heard sirens, and saw an ambulance.  The light turned green, and while there probably could have been enough time for me to go, I waited.  But the three cars in the lane to my right, going straight, did not. All three zoomed across the road, the third literally just missing being t-boned by the ambulance.  All because they might ahve to wait for the NEXT cycle of the traffic light.

Once I was stopped at a red light. On the other side of the intersection, there was a fire station. While the light was still red, the fire alarm sounded and firemen started running around and two fire trucks drove out of the station and waited on the driveway for the men to pile in.

The light turned green, but I figured those trucks would be hitting the road any second, so I stayed put. The driver behind me honked once, then pulled out to the left and zoomed through the intersection. Fortunately, the driver of the fire truck saw him coming, and slammed on the brakes fast enough that the two vehicles missed by about a foot and a half.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

Hillia

« Reply #17493 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
I saw a fire truck t-bone a jerk running a light in front of the lights and sirens parade.  Fortunately the truck was the last of several and none of the firefighters were injured.  We were going the opposite direction so I don't know what else happened to the idiot driver of the car.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowfire

« Reply #17494 on: October 09, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
"Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."

Here's your sign..... >:D ;D >:D

Pippen

« Reply #17495 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
Driving through town yesterday the lights and barrier arms came down on the train crossing. Now these are always freight trains and take forever to pass through but that is just too bad and in the greater scheme of thing an annoyance rather than something to have a meltdown over. Out of hundreds of cars patiently waiting at all the intersections I had to be directly in front of the one woman who didn't seem to understand she was not going anywhere.  We were only about 5-6 cars back the alarms and the train were clearly visible but she thought sitting on her horn and going nuts would somehow have an effect. She pulls out into the median strip like that is going to help and gets stuck there. When the barrier went up and the traffic started moving again I stopped and indicated to her to let  her in and did I get a cheery wave or a polite nod. No. She glared at me and gave me the fingers.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17496 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
I have had one young woman actually trip on my walking stick which was less than two inches from my foot. She had the nerve to get mad at me!
Sounds like the female parent of the kid that I stiff-armed in the grocery store.  He was zipping around on those shoes with the wheels built in (Wheelies?  Heelies? something like that) and I just put my hand out to fend him off as he zipped toward me.  He ran into ME, but she figured that it was my fault that he fell down.  Sorry, lady, but I have no intention of getting bruises or broken bones because your kid has knocked ME down.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #17497 on: October 10, 2012, 04:42:14 AM »
I remember once being at the red light with the "no turn on red" sign, and the guy behind us kept honking his horn.  You know, the long obnoxious beeeeeeeps.  We refused to move and I (the passinger) even stuck my arm out the window and pointed to the sign, but that didn't stop him.  We just rolled our eyes and privately made fun of him, but we did not move until the light was green.  We're not going to break the rules for you, buddy.

Yeah, there's an intersection on my way to and from work that is no right turns on red. It is also a favorite spot on Sunday mornings for cops to sit and wait. This lady one time pulled up behind me and honks . I didn't move. She gestured and continued honking.  I pointed to the sign. She reversed, got into the other turn lane and turned right while obviously screaming and gesturing at me. No cops unfortunately but hey I don't break the law so you can get somewhere 25 seconds faster.

weeblewobble

« Reply #17498 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
I get that all the time at the local drugstore. 

One line feeds two or three registers.  People who are used to the place have a standard procedure.  The person paying is at the counter.  The next on line stands a few feet back near a display of snack cakes.  The third person and the rest of the line forms down an aisle leaving a space between the snack cakes and the start of the aisles for shoppers entering the store.

I don't know how many times I've been the third person with a line behind me and someone will stand right behind the snack cakes.  This person will be amazed to discover that a line exists.

Oh no, we're not on line.  We get our jollies standing in a drugstore aisle with boxes of tissues and half-gallons of milk.

We have the same problem at my local Super-Mega-Book-Chain store. The displays of bookmarks and novelty gifts is set really close to the counter, so there's not a lot of room to line up for the multiple cashiers.  Regular customers know to line up single-file starting at the bookmark/gift displays, and then you go to whatever register opens next.  At least once every time I visit, someone swans in front of the people waiting in line and then gets seriously indignant when told that they are not next in line.  "BUT THERE'S NO LINE!"  they'll insist.

That's right, we're just standing her with stacks of books, watching other people check out because we don't fully understand the payment procedure.

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #17499 on: October 10, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
I'm afraid I was PA here and may have been an SS myself...but it didn't start out like that.

This weekend I got back from vacation (where there were no SS) and friends and I went to retrieve our luggage after disembarking from the plane.  We had to wait a bit.  Those of us who got there early ringed the carousel, crunching in to accomodate others who arrived later.  The luggage came in on one side and most people hung around there to get their bags.  Friend and I thought it made more sense to stand as far as possible from the incoming luggage, thinking things would be easier there.

The best laid plans...

A few of the folks who were breathing down on the incoming luggage suddenly decided they would wait at the far end of the carousel, too.  Fair enough except that they started pushing out of the way folks who had been waiting in the same spot for quite a while.

As my bag comes aro9und the carousel, I reached to get it with both hands, only to have it slide when my arthritic left hand couldn't keep a tight enough grip.  I tried to grab at it again, but even though I was leaning towards it and had a hand on it, some man pushed between me and my suitcase so that I had to wait for it come around again.

And I didn't want to shove so I kept saying "excuse me" and worked my way back to the front....and had to watch the bag go away again because as I was reaching for it, I was shoved out of the way yet again by someone who "just wanted to be in front".

So on the third try, I had finally gotten back to where I had been (the very, very end so as to be out of everyone's way)  a young man walks up to where I am and says "Excuse me, ma'am, but *I* am waiting for my bags so I need to stand in front of you."  I asked him if they happened to be any of the ones coming up and he said "No.  I just want to be here when they do."  I said "Well THAT is MY bag coming up right now and you'll forgive me for being bee-itchy, but it's the  third time I have tried to get it and I am not going to be nice anymore."  "Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."

And as I reach for my bag, another woman who was with him tries to get in front of me...and like I said, I stopped with the whole excuse me thing and planted my not inconsiderable backside in front of her and said "I'm sorry, but I am just grabbing this suitcase and NOW you can get in."  Perhaps I should have walked around to the other side, but it was exactly as crowded there as it was in my area, so it would have made no difference.  But it really irked me that people who had arrived first were being shoved aside by others who didn't want to wait their turn.

I have been known to smack such people with my luggage as I take it off the band.  Totally accidentally, of course.

weeblewobble

« Reply #17500 on: October 10, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
I'm afraid I was PA here and may have been an SS myself...but it didn't start out like that.

This weekend I got back from vacation (where there were no SS) and friends and I went to retrieve our luggage after disembarking from the plane.  We had to wait a bit.  Those of us who got there early ringed the carousel, crunching in to accomodate others who arrived later.  The luggage came in on one side and most people hung around there to get their bags.  Friend and I thought it made more sense to stand as far as possible from the incoming luggage, thinking things would be easier there.

The best laid plans...

A few of the folks who were breathing down on the incoming luggage suddenly decided they would wait at the far end of the carousel, too.  Fair enough except that they started pushing out of the way folks who had been waiting in the same spot for quite a while.

As my bag comes aro9und the carousel, I reached to get it with both hands, only to have it slide when my arthritic left hand couldn't keep a tight enough grip.  I tried to grab at it again, but even though I was leaning towards it and had a hand on it, some man pushed between me and my suitcase so that I had to wait for it come around again.

And I didn't want to shove so I kept saying "excuse me" and worked my way back to the front....and had to watch the bag go away again because as I was reaching for it, I was shoved out of the way yet again by someone who "just wanted to be in front".

So on the third try, I had finally gotten back to where I had been (the very, very end so as to be out of everyone's way)  a young man walks up to where I am and says "Excuse me, ma'am, but *I* am waiting for my bags so I need to stand in front of you."  I asked him if they happened to be any of the ones coming up and he said "No.  I just want to be here when they do."  I said "Well THAT is MY bag coming up right now and you'll forgive me for being bee-itchy, but it's the  third time I have tried to get it and I am not going to be nice anymore."  "Oh," he says "I didn't realize YOU were waiting for bags, too."

And as I reach for my bag, another woman who was with him tries to get in front of me...and like I said, I stopped with the whole excuse me thing and planted my not inconsiderable backside in front of her and said "I'm sorry, but I am just grabbing this suitcase and NOW you can get in."  Perhaps I should have walked around to the other side, but it was exactly as crowded there as it was in my area, so it would have made no difference.  But it really irked me that people who had arrived first were being shoved aside by others who didn't want to wait their turn.

I have been known to smack such people with my luggage as I take it off the band.  Totally accidentally, of course.

This is bizarre.  I have never had this problem before at airports!  What do these people think you are doing?  Watching the suitcases go 'round for fun?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #17501 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Apparently so!  I know I enjoy paying $5 an hour to park and then waltz inside to the baggage level at BWI to just stand there for a while.   :o :o :o

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17502 on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
I get that all the time at the local drugstore. 

One line feeds two or three registers.  People who are used to the place have a standard procedure.  The person paying is at the counter.  The next on line stands a few feet back near a display of snack cakes.  The third person and the rest of the line forms down an aisle leaving a space between the snack cakes and the start of the aisles for shoppers entering the store.

I don't know how many times I've been the third person with a line behind me and someone will stand right behind the snack cakes.  This person will be amazed to discover that a line exists.

Oh no, we're not on line.  We get our jollies standing in a drugstore aisle with boxes of tissues and half-gallons of milk.

We have the same problem at my local Super-Mega-Book-Chain store. The displays of bookmarks and novelty gifts is set really close to the counter, so there's not a lot of room to line up for the multiple cashiers.  Regular customers know to line up single-file starting at the bookmark/gift displays, and then you go to whatever register opens next.  At least once every time I visit, someone swans in front of the people waiting in line and then gets seriously indignant when told that they are not next in line.  "BUT THERE'S NO LINE!"  they'll insist.

That's right, we're just standing her with stacks of books, watching other people check out because we don't fully understand the payment procedure.

Mine is at the local Panera.  There really isn't anywhere to line up, and the registers sort of go off to the side, with a pillar somewhat blocking them.  Since I enver know which register might free up, I ususally stand a bit back from them, waiting my turn.  I can't tell you how many people come in, see me standing back a bit, and got in front of me, and stand in front of one register, thinking there's no line. 

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #17503 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
DH and I saw a lovely one a while ago - we were taking some documents to MIL's lawyer for her. This law practice is in a business/residential area and there is NO on-site parking. They only have parking for their employees; everyone else has to park in the surrounding streets where there is plenty of space. There is a huge sign outside by the front door about parking, there is a sign inside the office, there is a warning on their website, they tell you this when you call to make an appointment, etc...

Anyway, we're sitting in the waiting room waiting for the lawyer and this man comes in and the following conversation ensues:

Man: "Who owns the BMW parked out front?"
Receptionist: I don't know; probably one of the partners. Why?
Man: I wanted to park there, so I moved it.
Receptionist:  :o  ???

I started to laugh when he said that, but then I realized he was dead serious!! Then I tried to figure out how exactly he managed to move someone else's car without the keys!!

Reception called down and an office assistant went out with the man to find a parking spot. We were finally called in to talk to the lawyer and were able to see the BMW is an X5 (large, very expensive SUV)! We watched a minute longer and the man, who has now parked right across the street  ::) is driving a Suburban (even larger SUV). At least that explained how he was able to move the other vehicle.

Hope the Beemer still had a working transmission!

DH and I were hoping that the man was from someplace where people leave the cars in neutral and the parking brake off to help with parking (DH is from Cairo and that is common there) as opposed to just being a complete moron. Good grief!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #17504 on: October 10, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Every Panera restaurant I've ever been to has major design flaws.  In one restaurant there is no clear "stand in line" place so folks stand awkwardly amongst the seated diners waiting for a cashier.  In another one the line is to the left, but all the menus are posted behind the cashiers and you cannot read them until you're called up to place your order.  So now you're standing there trying to decide what you want while holding everyone else up.   >:(