Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5735290 times)

Cleargleam

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17535 on: October 12, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
I saw one this morning at school drop off.

Like many schools, my children's school was built at a time when most students walked or biked to school.  Now it's a magnet school and draws from all over the city.  A lot of parents drive their kids.  As such, there is a procedure for drop off.  The school sits between two streets, Main Street and 1st Street.  A long drive runs along the south end of the school and connects Main Street with 1 st.  It's about a block long.  For 1/2 block, it's just a long, narrow drive that eventually opens up into a parking lot for the rest of the distance. 

Parents are instructed to drive up to where the parking lot starts, discharge children from the car and continue driving to allow for other cars to do the same.  The kids line up along the school gate until the school doors open.

This morning, the girls and I were waiting at the gate when I heard a lot of cars suddenly start honking.  Apparently, a parent had decided to bring her kids to the drop off point but instead of letting the kids out, they waited until the school doors opened.  I watched her sit there for five minutes while cars piled up behind her.  Finally she let her kids out and tootled away.  (The other cars couldn't pass her because she was at the very end of the long, narrow drive part and completely blocking traffic.)

If she could have been bothered to drive 10 more feet, she could have pulled over and allowed other cars to pass her but I suppose that wouldn't have been very special.   Normally there is a person directing the drop off but he was nowhere to be found today.  And I'm amazed that no other parents who were made to wait asked her to move up.

They probably all understand that with a special snowflake like that, asking them to employ courtesy is pretty much useless. Unless you have some kind of authority, and even then, some people are awfully resistant to regard for others. 

JennJenn68

« Reply #17536 on: October 12, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
I'm starting to think that Special Snowflakes are approaching epic proportions.  Whatever happened to people being aware of others around them and employing due courtesy?

I went shopping at my local Costco today--never my favourite activity in the world, because I'm not a happy camper in crowds, and the closer it gets to the holiday season, the more of a zoo Costco becomes.  (I will not shop there on weekends, period.  And once Hallowe'en is over, Costco won't be seeing me again until well into January... which is a pity because there are some things that I can only get there, but the panic attacks just aren't worth it!)  I noticed a definite pattern of Snowflake behaviour today.  Ever noticed that when you are coming up behind someone in a given aisle (which is only wide enough for two carts to pass abreast), someone is coming toward you in the other direction?  So, you politely wait for this person to pass... and both carts reach the point where they are abreast--and both stop dead and the people stare at the shelves like open-mouthed zombies, totally oblivious to the fact that they are now completely blocking traffic both ways.  And they stay there.  It takes at least three repetitions of, "Excuse me, please!" for either of them to turn toward you with a look of vacant confusion on their faces; what could you possibly want from them?

After the first two times, it was either engage in the compiling of statistics or go stark raving mad.  (Since I went mad years ago, I was stuck with option number one.)  Today, this morning, within the first hour of the store opening, I had this happen to me twelve times, and every single occasion involved different people.  I was only in the store for forty-five minutes.  (I would have been out, I think, at least twenty minutes earlier if it hadn't been for these clueless cretins.)  If any of the offenders had had their noses stuck into their iPhones or suchlike, I would almost have understood it (although it still would have annoyed me considerably) but these were all just people who were so blasted spaced out that it didn't occur to them that there was anybody else in the whole store except for them!

Yup, JennJenn's in one of those moods again... ::)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17537 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
I'm starting to think that Special Snowflakes are approaching epic proportions.  Whatever happened to people being aware of others around them and employing due courtesy?

I went shopping at my local Costco today--never my favourite activity in the world, because I'm not a happy camper in crowds, and the closer it gets to the holiday season, the more of a zoo Costco becomes.  (I will not shop there on weekends, period.  And once Hallowe'en is over, Costco won't be seeing me again until well into January... which is a pity because there are some things that I can only get there, but the panic attacks just aren't worth it!)  I noticed a definite pattern of Snowflake behaviour today.  Ever noticed that when you are coming up behind someone in a given aisle (which is only wide enough for two carts to pass abreast), someone is coming toward you in the other direction?  So, you politely wait for this person to pass... and both carts reach the point where they are abreast--and both stop dead and the people stare at the shelves like open-mouthed zombies, totally oblivious to the fact that they are now completely blocking traffic both ways.  And they stay there.  It takes at least three repetitions of, "Excuse me, please!" for either of them to turn toward you with a look of vacant confusion on their faces; what could you possibly want from them?

After the first two times, it was either engage in the compiling of statistics or go stark raving mad.  (Since I went mad years ago, I was stuck with option number one.)  Today, this morning, within the first hour of the store opening, I had this happen to me twelve times, and every single occasion involved different people.  I was only in the store for forty-five minutes.  (I would have been out, I think, at least twenty minutes earlier if it hadn't been for these clueless cretins.)  If any of the offenders had had their noses stuck into their iPhones or suchlike, I would almost have understood it (although it still would have annoyed me considerably) but these were all just people who were so blasted spaced out that it didn't occur to them that there was anybody else in the whole store except for them!

Yup, JennJenn's in one of those moods again... ::)

Maybe you need some kind of noise maker.  How about a coaches whistle?  Airhorn? Dinner Bell? Kazoo?

Jones

« Reply #17538 on: October 12, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
Definitely a duck call.  ;D

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17539 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »
I think a couple people at our Acme thought I was a SS at around Easter this year.  The store was crowded with last-minute shoppers, and I paused in front of the Easter candy to see what they had in the way of chocolate bunnies.  I didn't even have a cart, and I was there for less than thirty seconds, but people were giving me the stink eye for standing in front of the candy.  Crowds make me nervous, and I just grabbed a four-pack of Cadbury Creme Eggs and (escaped) got out of the way, and a woman immediately took my place while glaring at me out of the corner of her eye.  Um...sorry?  ???

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #17540 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »
Cadbury Creme Eggs! *sigh* I was and still am so excited that they came out for Halloween!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #17541 on: October 13, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
So I explained to them that no, the computers were dedicated and they could not get on to the internet.  They sat there, turning off the computers, turning them back on and typing in random logins and passwords and I repeated myself.  "Uh-huh"  and they kept going.  So I repeated myself a third time and got "I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME, B****!"  "Then why didn't you shut down?"  "I don't have to do what you say!"  They then informed me that I am a rude b***** for telling them they couldn't use the computers and they were leaving and not coming back.  (Promise?)  and, oh yes, because I am a rude b***** I should reconsider my career because I am not fit to work with the public.

Yeah.  That made my day.

And then these patrons were banned from the library, right?

Oh, Shoo, if only.  They were people we had never seen before, though extremely young (early twenties) and very self important.  They stormed out before my boss or I could say anything further to them.  Even if we could have said something, we have been told we cannot ban people for their bad behavior because it doesn't reflect well on US.  Yeah, that's from our most special blizzard of all:  Stoney and the Board.

Adelaide

« Reply #17542 on: October 13, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
Yesterday my entire class had a mandatory seminar in the chapel. One of the girls kept making comments like "This is such a nice chapel. Or at least it would be, if it didn't have 'Worship God" written everywhere. (Things like the Ten Commandments and verses are written on the walls in large lettering).

That's all well and good, but she could NOT let it go. She just kept going on and on about it and after her 30th incredulous comment about there being bibles in the pew I really wanted to ask her how she got into law school without knowing the definition of the word "chapel".

Iris

« Reply #17543 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
Yesterday my entire class had a mandatory seminar in the chapel. One of the girls kept making comments like "This is such a nice chapel. Or at least it would be, if it didn't have 'Worship God" written everywhere. (Things like the Ten Commandments and verses are written on the walls in large lettering).

That's all well and good, but she could NOT let it go. She just kept going on and on about it and after her 30th incredulous comment about there being bibles in the pew I really wanted to ask her how she got into law school without knowing the definition of the word "chapel".

That might belong in "Exchanges With People That Make Your Brain Hurt". It would be a lovely chapel if they got rid of all evidence of God, or worship? Well, perhaps, but then it would just be a lovely room.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Adelaide

« Reply #17544 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »

That might belong in "Exchanges With People That Make Your Brain Hurt". It would be a lovely chapel if they got rid of all evidence of God, or worship? Well, perhaps, but then it would just be a lovely room.

I thought about putting it in there, but people were basically stonewalling her or just muttering "mhmm" after awhile. It wasn't as much of an exchange as it was a one-woman show. :P And she just kept going on and on and on about it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17545 on: October 14, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »

Ooh, I remember one of those!  The college I went to was originally a religious school and had a huge chapel (most would call it a cathedral) right in the middle of campus.  It's not a religious school anymore, but the chapel seats 1500 people (by far the largest indoor seating on campus) so it's used for things like freshman orientation sessions, graduation ceremonies (not the official graduating part, just the associated optional stuff) and things like that.  One guy in my freshman dorm just could not wrap his head around the idea that we were using a religious building for a non-religious academic reason.  He let everyone know how offended he was at having to sit in such close proximity to religious icons (like pews and Bibles - I thought the chapel was pretty low-key, honestly) for our freshman "getting to know all the important people on campus" speech session.  He was sitting right in front of me so I got to hear several grumpy comments before the guy sitting next to him told him to shut the expletive up.

NyaChan

« Reply #17546 on: October 14, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »
Slarti, your story seems a bit different to me though.  I can understand being a taken aback at enrolling in a non-religious (even if it was religious before, apparently it was secular at the time of the story right?) school but then finding myself having orientation in a cathedral.  I didn't go to a secular university so I expected a good bit of exposure to and integration with religion, but if I just signed up for my state school and they sent me to a cathedral for orientation, I would raising my eyebrows pretty high.

Hillia

« Reply #17547 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
Slarti, your story seems a bit different to me though.  I can understand being a taken aback at enrolling in a non-religious (even if it was religious before, apparently it was secular at the time of the story right?) school but then finding myself having orientation in a cathedral.  I didn't go to a secular university so I expected a good bit of exposure to and integration with religion, but if I just signed up for my state school and they sent me to a cathedral for orientation, I would raising my eyebrows pretty high.

Well, if it's the only building on campus that can comfortably accommodate the number of people at an event, and there is no religious activity involved, I don't know that it would bother me.  You use the facility that best suits the logistical needs of the event.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Adelaide

« Reply #17548 on: October 14, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »

Well, if it's the only building on campus that can comfortably accommodate the number of people at an event, and there is no religious activity involved, I don't know that it would bother me.  You use the facility that best suits the logistical needs of the event.

I am at a state school and the chapel is usually the building we go to for events like the one we had the other day. It just happens to be the building that fits the most people, aside from the law lecture hall, which is sometimes booked up for events only 2l's and 3l's are required to participate in. There's never anything religious going on, not even "fringe" things like having a moment of silence or abstractly requesting that a higher power let us have a good lecture. At the school I went to for college this was the norm as well-book the chapel if another hall wasn't available. Plus, it's never a shock when we have to go there. It says on our schedule at least a week in advance that we report to the chapel for whatever special lecture we're having as a group.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17549 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I wouldn't have any problem going to a strictly secular event that happened to be held in a house of worship.  We've gone to several in Unitarian churches and synagogues.   

After all, RPI installed one of their course labs in a deconsecrated church.  If you think about it, the reuse of the space was oddly appropriate.