Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297708 times)

greencat

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17925 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »
My grandfather lost one of his brothers and an eye to a train when he was a teenager.  I will always be careful around train tracks.

Special snowflake-y restaurant patron:  We were insanely busy Tuesday night, as a politician was holding his press conference in one of the event rooms in the hotel, and the event overflowed.  We didn't have extra staff on - at best, we had half an extra person, me, because I was training, and the sales manager who had booked the group ended up running orders as well.  My trainer ended up having to help tend the bar and I ended up serving the dining room.  One customer ordered wine and food, and then decided to castigate me for the speed at which his food and drinks were emerging from our visibly busy bar and kitchen.  The gentleman, and I use the term loosely, complained that he didn't see many other people with food on their tables and therefore our kitchen couldn't be that busy (he couldn't see the bar where many people were ordering the bar-snack kinds of food); and that he didn't care that the bar was so busy that there were people standing in every available inch of floor space trying to order drinks, plus the thirty or forty people sitting in the restaurant part just ordering drinks, and that the bartenders physically could not make drinks any faster. 

His wife, at least, had the grace to look embarrassed by his behavior.  She must have said something to him between that exchange and me managing to get part of their order out to them, because he suddenly changed his tune and became very polite and gracious.

I did, however, agree with his point that we should have had more staff on, and I'm not sure which member or members of management should be tarred and feathered for that particular gaffe.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #17926 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:24 AM »
...   Where do you think this woman has her 5 kids, most who look under 10 walk?  Directly down the railroad tracks! :o If it matters, the right side of the road with a sidewalk is easily accessible with a crosswalk and a traffic light.

I would call the police about this one.  That's not just Darwinish.  That's incredibly dangerous!!  :o

honestly this one doesn't bother me that much.  It's not like a train can sneak up on you.  They make a lot of noise and vibration coming, and you have more than sufficent time to get out of the way.  Unless there is no way to cross the street, and no way to leave the tracks on the other side (like maybe it's a railroad bridge) I think this is a non-issue.

Quite a few people in Ozland have been killed doing this in the past couple of months due to them wearing headphones and not paying attention.  Also, few people have also been seriously injured by trams doing the same thing.

Walking on active train tracks is silly enough, blocking out the outside world makes it very dangerous, this includes headphones, reading anything on your phone, ipads even walking and reading a book. At least once a week I nearly run over a secondary school kid who is doing one of the above and just walks out in the middle of the street without looking. In summer a huge amount of people do the distracted wander and nearly become pancakes on their evening walks :/ Not much you can do about I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:57:03 AM by Zenith »

Daquiri40

« Reply #17927 on: November 09, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:10:29 AM by Daquiri40 »

Wench

« Reply #17928 on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
...   Where do you think this woman has her 5 kids, most who look under 10 walk?  Directly down the railroad tracks! :o If it matters, the right side of the road with a sidewalk is easily accessible with a crosswalk and a traffic light.

I would call the police about this one.  That's not just Darwinish.  That's incredibly dangerous!!  :o

honestly this one doesn't bother me that much.  It's not like a train can sneak up on you.  They make a lot of noise and vibration coming, and you have more than sufficent time to get out of the way.  Unless there is no way to cross the street, and no way to leave the tracks on the other side (like maybe it's a railroad bridge) I think this is a non-issue.

Sadly, there are lots of tragic examples that say you're entirely wrong. People can misjudge even when they know the train is there. Over 100 people have been killed in accidents along the Los Angeles Metro Rail Blue Line since 1990, many of them trying to cross the tracks when a train is coming. Many of the adults with supposedly superior reasoning capacity. Five kids about 10yo on the tracks is a formula for disaster.

Trains and humans don't mix. The US is unusual in that the right-of-way often isn't fenced and we have lots of level crossings. The UK is generally better, in that they have route separation. If someone gets hit by a train in the UK, more often than not, they were trying to get hit.

Also UK train lines have a third raised track which carries roughly 50,000 volts to power the trains.  That often does the damage before the train has even arrived.  I have seen one Darwinist snowflake cross the track at a train station because he could not be bothered to use the subway and he was incredible lucky that he didn't get hurt.  The thought of actually walking down a train track seems insane to me but that is because the risk of injury or death is incredibly high without the train being involved.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #17929 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
I finally caught up so I could post this one:
You miss a day or so and you wind up with 5 or 6 pages!
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #17930 on: November 09, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm a bit late to the SS parent parking at the school idea, I see that it's been discussed in this thread for years. But my son just started preschool, so this is my first real experience with it. DS's school is in a neighborhood. I get on the through street about a mile and a half from his school and actually pass another school to get to his. I typically set my cruise control because it is sooo easy to speed down that street. Several times I've had people riding my bumper and one guy in a big truck was actually revving his engine at me when I had the nerve to slow down at the school crossing (15mph speed limit). On another occasion a driver went into the bike lane (on this street it's as wide as a car lane) to pass me on the right.

Then we get to the school itself. To get our preschoolers, we have to park on the street, walk to the classroom and sign them in/out. On the corner there is a fire hydrant, so clearly you can't park there right? Am I the only one who thinks parking in front of a fire hydrant is not allowed? Even if its only 5 min. Today we got a flyer reminding parents not to park under the no parking signs ::) ::)

**Update**

This morning I got a somewhat frantic phone call from DH--he handles drop off, I pick up. He told me that *gasp* that whole street is no parking and when he got to the school today, he saw a police car parked, with the officer walking up the sidewalk. Apparently the officer yelled at DH something like "what are you doing? This is a no parking zone *gestures up the street* all these people are getting tickets." At which point DH jumped back into his car, found a legal spot and dropped DS off. DH was giving me a heads up so that I didn't get ticketed this afternoon. ::) DH says he didn't know it was no parking.  ::) ::) I told him that there are signs on every.single.streetlight. ::) ::) ::) ::) *eyes roll up into my head*

So, DH is a preschool parking SS, but he didn't get ticketed. He did, however, get an earful, and a list of 4 different legal parking areas. And I feel bad for the officer who was justifiably incredulous that someone would try to park in a no parking zone as he was writing parking tickets.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #17931 on: November 09, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

NyaChan

« Reply #17932 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
That's horrifying.  I would be defriending in a hurry.

Iris

« Reply #17933 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

Oh my goodness. I would want to be far, far away from this person when baby arrives...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Jones

« Reply #17934 on: November 09, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

Oh my goodness. I would want to be far, far away from this person when baby arrives...

I would be more than happy to assist her in cleaning out the fridge and throwing out anything that looks iffy to me.

snowdragon

« Reply #17935 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »

This person does nto want friends she wants slaves, fortunately they are not allowed in this country anymor,she'll have learn to do her own stuff

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17936 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »
This has to be a joke!  :o ......Please tell me it's a joke?

I'd probably assume it was a joke if I saw it, because even the most arrogant people I know aren't this arrogant.  If someone sent me something like this and they were serious about it, I wouldn't even dignify it with a response.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17937 on: November 10, 2012, 07:08:18 AM »
I hope its a joke, but sadly, I know of a lot of people who would think nothing of doing something like that. I really hope if she was serious, no one takes her up on her offer!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17938 on: November 10, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
The extent of entitlement in that post astounds me. Narcissist and her offspring will be safe from me. I would de-friend, but I would really rather hear further demands from this person.  >:D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17939 on: November 10, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
I hope its a joke, but sadly, I know of a lot of people who would think nothing of doing something like that. I really hope if she was serious, no one takes her up on her offer!

Just to clarify...Their offer.. It sounds like when reading the entire document the father is just as guilty. 

I could see something like this is they were talking about a debilitating illness and needing help with a housefull of kids and people had neeb offering to help out.  But this is a baby they chose to have.  With our first, my sister stayed for one night then we were pretty much on our own like we wanted it.  Do people really need this much support just because they had a baby?