News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 01, 2015, 04:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6640743 times)

NyaChan

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17925 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
That's horrifying.  I would be defriending in a hurry.

Iris

« Reply #17926 on: November 09, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

Oh my goodness. I would want to be far, far away from this person when baby arrives...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Jones

« Reply #17927 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

Oh my goodness. I would want to be far, far away from this person when baby arrives...

I would be more than happy to assist her in cleaning out the fridge and throwing out anything that looks iffy to me.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

snowdragon

« Reply #17928 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

This person does nto want friends she wants slaves, fortunately they are not allowed in this country anymor,she'll have learn to do her own stuff

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17929 on: November 10, 2012, 03:26:25 AM »
This has to be a joke!  :o ......Please tell me it's a joke?

I'd probably assume it was a joke if I saw it, because even the most arrogant people I know aren't this arrogant.  If someone sent me something like this and they were serious about it, I wouldn't even dignify it with a response.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17930 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »
I hope its a joke, but sadly, I know of a lot of people who would think nothing of doing something like that. I really hope if she was serious, no one takes her up on her offer!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17931 on: November 10, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
The extent of entitlement in that post astounds me. Narcissist and her offspring will be safe from me. I would de-friend, but I would really rather hear further demands from this person.  >:D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17932 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
I hope its a joke, but sadly, I know of a lot of people who would think nothing of doing something like that. I really hope if she was serious, no one takes her up on her offer!

Just to clarify...Their offer.. It sounds like when reading the entire document the father is just as guilty. 

I could see something like this is they were talking about a debilitating illness and needing help with a housefull of kids and people had neeb offering to help out.  But this is a baby they chose to have.  With our first, my sister stayed for one night then we were pretty much on our own like we wanted it.  Do people really need this much support just because they had a baby? 

stkatie00

« Reply #17933 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:27 AM »
Do people really need this much support just because they had a baby?

We had twins and didn't need this much support! Actually, I think we've ended up making a few people's brains hurt by how much we've managed on our own. 

squeakers

« Reply #17934 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »
This has to be a joke!  :o ......Please tell me it's a joke?

I'd probably assume it was a joke if I saw it, because even the most arrogant people I know aren't this arrogant.  If someone sent me something like this and they were serious about it, I wouldn't even dignify it with a response.

From the comments it is kind of a joke: another poster found it as a mock-up from an advice column. http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=34 (so no kitty litter cleaning or dog walking as it was originally written.)

Does it read as entitled? Yes.  But it is a list of practical things to help out a new mother vs having to host people when you are drained and still trying to figure things out. The first paragraph of the original article is worth reading.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #17935 on: November 10, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »

This article has to be a joke or a parody!  Anybody this entitled would have no Facebook friends to post to.  They'd surely have been abandoned by friends and family years ago.

I can say for certain that anyone who told me, "I'm tired of your talking," would never hear from me again!

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #17936 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
At Meijer's self-checkout yesterday.

DH, DD and I were behind an older gentleman (probably fifties), who was checking out a cart while (I assume) his father was bagging.

The SS part was this.

He'd pick up one item.  Slowly turn it all around (I presume to find the barcode).  Slowly scan it.  Watch it go all the way down the belt.  Look at the screen (slowly).

Slowly pick up another item.  Slowly turn it all around (and all of the items in the cart were the same - some type of milk - all identical).  Slowly scan it.  Watch it go all the way down the belt.  Slowly look at the screen.

I finally sent DH & DD out while I waited.  I didn't have an option as the other registers were full by the time I could have moved.

When it came time to pay, the older man (OSS) slowly read the screen.  Slowly pulled his wallet out.  Pulled out one bill.  Fed it.  Read the screen.  Pulled out another bill.  Etc.  It took him over 5 minutes to pay.

All in all, it too more than 15 minutes for an order of less than a dozen items.  It must have taken them over 45 minutes to do their whole order, since they were mostly done by the time I got behind them. 

:(

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17937 on: November 10, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
I stopped in one of the hair salons that do not take appointments to get my bangs trimmed this afternoon. A mom and dad were their with their adorable triplet boys who were about to get their first haircuts and the parents wanted to capture it on film.  Unfortunately, they wanted the haircuts to all start at the same time so wanted the stylist to stop taking new clients until all three were free at the same time.  There was a backup and I decided to not wait and other clients were leaving too.  While I understand their desire, they really should have gone some place that took appointments and did this on at a time other than mid Saturday afternoon.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #17938 on: November 10, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »

I'm the voice of dissent!  I would find this sort of list very helpful - I've never had a baby, nor any younger siblings or cousins - so I have no idea what's involved or how to help.  And I'm a huge list-follower, so win-win for me.

PeterM

« Reply #17939 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
All in all, it too more than 15 minutes for an order of less than a dozen items.  It must have taken them over 45 minutes to do their whole order, since they were mostly done by the time I got behind them. 

:(

I've encountered this sort of sloth-like pace at a self-check myself. A woman with a cart filled with several dozen small items, far more than you're asked to bring through the self-check. She would pull an item out of the cart, stare at it, scan it, and put it back into the cart. The staff had apparently disabled whatever it is that makes you place your items in the bagging area. How this woman kept track of what she'd already scanned, I do not know. She was taking long enough about it that I'm willing to believe she was extra careful, though.

I just ignored her, but someone else in the line asked the staff member overseeing the self-checks why she was allowed to break the rules. I can't remember the exact answer, but it boiled down to "It's just easier this way," said with the bleak tone and thousand-yard stare of a retail worker who has been there and done that and just wants to get through her shift with her soul intact. I've been there myself, so I'm not going to judge.