Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5535763 times)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #17940 on: November 10, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
At Meijer's self-checkout yesterday.

DH, DD and I were behind an older gentleman (probably fifties), who was checking out a cart while (I assume) his father was bagging.

The SS part was this.

He'd pick up one item.  Slowly turn it all around (I presume to find the barcode).  Slowly scan it.  Watch it go all the way down the belt.  Look at the screen (slowly).

Slowly pick up another item.  Slowly turn it all around (and all of the items in the cart were the same - some type of milk - all identical).  Slowly scan it.  Watch it go all the way down the belt.  Slowly look at the screen.

I finally sent DH & DD out while I waited.  I didn't have an option as the other registers were full by the time I could have moved.

When it came time to pay, the older man (OSS) slowly read the screen.  Slowly pulled his wallet out.  Pulled out one bill.  Fed it.  Read the screen.  Pulled out another bill.  Etc.  It took him over 5 minutes to pay.

All in all, it too more than 15 minutes for an order of less than a dozen items.  It must have taken them over 45 minutes to do their whole order, since they were mostly done by the time I got behind them. 

:(

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17941 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
I stopped in one of the hair salons that do not take appointments to get my bangs trimmed this afternoon. A mom and dad were their with their adorable triplet boys who were about to get their first haircuts and the parents wanted to capture it on film.  Unfortunately, they wanted the haircuts to all start at the same time so wanted the stylist to stop taking new clients until all three were free at the same time.  There was a backup and I decided to not wait and other clients were leaving too.  While I understand their desire, they really should have gone some place that took appointments and did this on at a time other than mid Saturday afternoon.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #17942 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

I'm the voice of dissent!  I would find this sort of list very helpful - I've never had a baby, nor any younger siblings or cousins - so I have no idea what's involved or how to help.  And I'm a huge list-follower, so win-win for me.

PeterM

« Reply #17943 on: November 10, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
All in all, it too more than 15 minutes for an order of less than a dozen items.  It must have taken them over 45 minutes to do their whole order, since they were mostly done by the time I got behind them. 

:(

I've encountered this sort of sloth-like pace at a self-check myself. A woman with a cart filled with several dozen small items, far more than you're asked to bring through the self-check. She would pull an item out of the cart, stare at it, scan it, and put it back into the cart. The staff had apparently disabled whatever it is that makes you place your items in the bagging area. How this woman kept track of what she'd already scanned, I do not know. She was taking long enough about it that I'm willing to believe she was extra careful, though.

I just ignored her, but someone else in the line asked the staff member overseeing the self-checks why she was allowed to break the rules. I can't remember the exact answer, but it boiled down to "It's just easier this way," said with the bleak tone and thousand-yard stare of a retail worker who has been there and done that and just wants to get through her shift with her soul intact. I've been there myself, so I'm not going to judge.

thedudeabides

« Reply #17944 on: November 10, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
I ran into the grocery store to pick up a few things this afternoon on my way home from work.  All the lines were fairly backed up, so I hopped in what looked like the shortest express line: One woman was getting her change and two men were in front of me with just a few items in their cart.  Score!

Except that the woman walked away and the two men just stood there, cart still full of groceries, blocking the lane and talking.  Since I couldn't get around them, I asked if they were planning on checking out.  Oh, yeah, they were.  So they mosey into the lane, still talking.  Then it dawns on one of them that he should probably start unloading the cart, so he does, still talking.  I push my cart up behind them and wait to start getting my groceries out until they get out of the way, except they just keep talking until the order is almost entirely rung up, at which point the second guy says goodbye to the first and wants out of the lane, so I have to back up and let him out.  I couldn't even start getting my groceries out until the guy had finished paying.

Express lane, my right foot.

snowdragon

« Reply #17945 on: November 10, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
I went to Forest Lawn Cemetery to see if  I could find some gravestones to take pictures of for a project, I was in the Veteran's Section when I saw a person crossing the street with a bag.didn't thing too much of it until they got to the fence and tossed it over. In.to.the.cemetery. my sister and I both yelled and person just walked away.

So sad that someone has that little respect as to walk across the street to toss their garbage on the graves of heros.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17946 on: November 10, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I went to Forest Lawn Cemetery to see if  I could find some gravestones to take pictures of for a project, I was in the Veteran's Section when I saw a person crossing the street with a bag.didn't thing too much of it until they got to the fence and tossed it over. In.to.the.cemetery. my sister and I both yelled and person just walked away.

So sad that someone has that little respect as to walk across the street to toss their garbage on the graves of heros.

Since you had a camera with you, why didn't you take a picture of the trash hurler?  Maybe your local paper would have run it on the front page on Veteran's Day.

snowdragon

« Reply #17947 on: November 10, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »

Since you had a camera with you, why didn't you take a picture of the trash hurler?  Maybe your local paper would have run it on the front page on Veteran's Day.

We were more concerned with getting there to pick up the mess- we did not want the graves desecrated any longer than necessary.  It's a good thing  I carry latex gloves with me.

mmswm

« Reply #17948 on: November 10, 2012, 11:53:15 PM »
Thursday night I had to go to Walmart.  Now, the nearest Walmart to me is a bit of a drive (25 minutes, give or take 5), so I decided to stop by the bathroom before I left.  When I got into the bathroom, there was a woman there with three little girls.  The little one was in a stroller.  All three regular stalls were open and the handicap stall was in use.  The oldest girl goes into one of the regular stall.  The woman with the stroller just stood there with the baby and the middle child.  I waited for a bit and then asked "Ma'am?  Are you in line?"  She ignored me.  I asked again, "Excuse me ma'am, but are you in line"?  There were two open stalls and I had to pee, but I tried again a little bit louder, since I know what it's like to have three fairly small kids.  It's super easy to just get zoned out.  She still didn't respond.  Now, but this time, it had been about two minutes, which is a long time to wait with two empty stalls.  I assumed at this point that she was either waiting for the handicap stall in order to bring the stroller in and help the middle child, or she was just waiting on the older child, who apparently had a tummy ache. 

So, I started to walk past her to go into one of the empty stalls. At this point she starts screaming at me, saying something to the effect of how dare you, what makes you think that you can go before us, and so on and so forth. I replied quite calmly that I'd tried asking her three times over the previous two minutes if she was in line, but she ignored me.  There were two open stalls and I had to go pee.  She started screaming and cursing at me.  I motioned to the empty stalls, and she still didn't go in, just kept screaming about how I must be racist and yadda, yadda, yadda.  Whatever.  I went to an empty stall and ignored her.  When I left she was still screaming at me, and she still hadn't gone into the other empty stall.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Minmom3

« Reply #17949 on: November 11, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »
Saw this on Gawker: How to Be the Most Helpful Slave You Can Be for Me and My Baby

I wonder if these people are related to that woman who sent out the incredibly detailed Thanksgiving email, telling each family member what to bring and how to prepare it....   :o  Because I can PROMISE you I'd never in a million years be visiting this new family at home...  It would be a cold day in hell....   >:D
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17950 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
Thursday night I had to go to Walmart.  Now, the nearest Walmart to me is a bit of a drive (25 minutes, give or take 5), so I decided to stop by the bathroom before I left.  When I got into the bathroom, there was a woman there with three little girls.  The little one was in a stroller.  All three regular stalls were open and the handicap stall was in use.  The oldest girl goes into one of the regular stall.  The woman with the stroller just stood there with the baby and the middle child.  I waited for a bit and then asked "Ma'am?  Are you in line?"  She ignored me.  I asked again, "Excuse me ma'am, but are you in line"?  There were two open stalls and I had to pee, but I tried again a little bit louder, since I know what it's like to have three fairly small kids.  It's super easy to just get zoned out.  She still didn't respond.  Now, but this time, it had been about two minutes, which is a long time to wait with two empty stalls.  I assumed at this point that she was either waiting for the handicap stall in order to bring the stroller in and help the middle child, or she was just waiting on the older child, who apparently had a tummy ache. 

So, I started to walk past her to go into one of the empty stalls. At this point she starts screaming at me, saying something to the effect of how dare you, what makes you think that you can go before us, and so on and so forth. I replied quite calmly that I'd tried asking her three times over the previous two minutes if she was in line, but she ignored me.  There were two open stalls and I had to go pee.  She started screaming and cursing at me.  I motioned to the empty stalls, and she still didn't go in, just kept screaming about how I must be racist and yadda, yadda, yadda.  Whatever.  I went to an empty stall and ignored her.  When I left she was still screaming at me, and she still hadn't gone into the other empty stall.

I believe this falls under the category of "You snooze, you lose".  Plus, she had to have heard you if you repeated yourself that often.  I wonder if she was ignoring you to be passive aggressive, especially since she accused you of being racist, but I don't want to dwell on that subject.

I bought some yarn for a rug today, and I think this SS might have thought I was the one being SS.  A lady was standing kind of close, so I asked her if I was in her way.  She said no, so I continued to stand where I was as I decided what colors I wanted.  I took the last skein of one particular color, and as I was walking away I heard her grumble, "Of course, she would take the last one..."

Well, how was I supposed to know she wanted that particular color?  I had asked if she needed me to move, and she said no.  If she'd said, "Excuse me," and taken the skein before I thought to take it myself, I wouldn't have cared.  I would have just picked a different one.

I just went up and paid for my yarn, pretending I hadn't heard her complain.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17951 on: November 11, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Mental Mother just told me this yesterday.  She was handing out candy for trick-or-treating this year.  The doorbell rang as per usual and Mental Mother opened the door only to find two adults standing there, not in costume.  As she looked them over, it became apparent to her that there was a baby in a sling across the mother's chest.  Mental Mother asked to see the little one in her costume, except that the 1 month old only had a spot of black on her nose.  Yes, a 1 month old.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BarensMom

« Reply #17952 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Mental Mother just told me this yesterday.  She was handing out candy for trick-or-treating this year.  The doorbell rang as per usual and Mental Mother opened the door only to find two adults standing there, not in costume.  As she looked them over, it became apparent to her that there was a baby in a sling across the mother's chest.  Mental Mother asked to see the little one in her costume, except that the 1 month old only had a spot of black on her nose.  Yes, a 1 month old.

Evil me would have channeled "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and gave each of them a rock.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17953 on: November 11, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
I bought some yarn for a rug today, and I think this SS might have thought I was the one being SS.  A lady was standing kind of close, so I asked her if I was in her way.  She said no, so I continued to stand where I was as I decided what colors I wanted.  I took the last skein of one particular color, and as I was walking away I heard her grumble, "Of course, she would take the last one..."

Well, how was I supposed to know she wanted that particular color?  I had asked if she needed me to move, and she said no.  If she'd said, "Excuse me," and taken the skein before I thought to take it myself, I wouldn't have cared.  I would have just picked a different one.
Right.  That's what reasonable people do.  I looked at a piece of hand-dyed fabric at a quilt show once, went off to think about it, and when I went back it was gone.  An SS would have thrown a fit that SHE wanted that fabric and they should have known it and saved it for her. I just scolded myself for snoozing and losing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17954 on: November 11, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »

Right.  That's what reasonable people do.  I looked at a piece of hand-dyed fabric at a quilt show once, went off to think about it, and when I went back it was gone.  An SS would have thrown a fit that SHE wanted that fabric and they should have known it and saved it for her. I just scolded myself for snoozing and losing.

Sort of similar..my husband and I went to comic con in Chicago this year. I collect Nightmare Before Christmas stuff, and one vendor had some rare Nightmare collectibles for a very reasonable price. I was just telling the vendor "I'll take those two, please" when a teenager and her mother walked up and got upset that I was buying the things. Apparently the teenager had gone off to find her mother to show her the exact ones I was buying. The mother kept saying "But we love Nightmare Before Christmas!" while the teenager sulked and said "I was going to buy those!" in a really snotty tone of voice.

I just shrugged and said "Yeah, it's one of my favorite movies, too", paid, and walked away while they stood there and fumed and complained to each other about me. I wasn't going to hand over the collectibles just because they wanted them, too..when I'd arrived at the vendor's booth there was no one else around looking at the Nightmare stuff. Most vendors will happily hold things for a little while if you ask them to, so the girl could have always had him hold them for her while she went looking for her mother.