Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5381715 times)

SpottedPony

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18015 on: November 19, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
Wow.  Some people know no bounds, Crochet.  You might want to put up something in your profile that all stories are yours, to not complete them, and put a complete tag on the ones that are complete.

I'm considering that, but I don't want this person to think I'm singling them out (not the SSW, but the one who messaged me last night).  This person left a signed review also asking the same question, and last time I checked those can't be removed.  I tend to give people a bit of a pass on a nervy request if they accept my "no" graciously and move on.  Now I'm on pins and needles worrying about seeing a continuation of my story by some other person who didn't bother to ask permission.  Well, not really...I'm not super worried about it, just mildly irked.  If someone else asks me, though, I'll definitely put a note in my profile.

Maybe put in your summary that you are indeed planning on completing the story and you aren't going to have anyone else complete it for you and anyone else doing so will be reported. 

As for the other person who was asked, tell her/him that if your story inspired them into writing, to go for it.  But remind them to make sure they tweak their story enough so that it is not part of your particular branch of whatever fanfic universe you're writing in. 

In my In Progress files, I have one like that.  I got to thinking, what if this happened instead of that.  A main character was depressed because he lost his girlfriend and because he wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him, he got kidnapped.  As the origional author had added several new characters to his/her story, I knew that I couldn't use those characters, even changing their names would be a no no, so I tweaked it out of that author's version of how they felt the show could have gone, did my own thing with it.  Instead of the character being depressed and not paying attention and getting kidnapped, he was excited and not paying attention and getting kidnapped.  No need for the other author's characters at all. 

I hope this SS fan finally gets a clue, quits pestering you about your story, and starts spending her time writing her own stories. 

Spotted Pony

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18016 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I am so so happy to have the van during the week again because I hate grocery shopping on Saturdays. Loathe it with the firey passion of a thousand suns.  Remember Miss Scarlet from Clue? "Flames...flames...on the side of my head..." Yeah, that much.

It's crowded and it's like all the special snowflakes in town come out of the woodwork.  People leave their carts in the middle of the aisle and because there are so many folks in the aisle you don't know who it belongs to so it's not like you can say "Excuse me, would you please move your cart?" And people will just stand by their cart, not move it at all and just watch you try to get past.

One week there was a woman with one of those car carts for kids in the refrigerated aisle (juice/dairy/cookie dough) parked at the entrance to the aisle so that other carts couldn't enter.  A woman ahead of me alerted the woman that she couldn't get through because of the way her cart was positioned and the boy inside the car was hanging out of it.  The kid's mother told him to get his whole body into the cart but didn't move it more than about an inch, which forced the woman ahead of me and myself to try and squeeze our carts past her. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowdragon

« Reply #18017 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I read this on a mom's forum I read occasionally.  Mom is shopping with a newborn in a baby carrier and is in line at customer service.  Ahead of her is an elderly lady.  When Elderly Lady steps up to the counter, mom puts the baby carrier on the floor between them (so right behind EL).  EL completes her transaction and steps back, tripping over the baby carrier a d falling on the baby.  Mom loses it and starts screaming at EL, EMS is called for both EL and the baby, chaos ensues.

What amazed me was the number of responses blaming the elderly lady for daring to not constantly monitor the location of the BAYBEEEE and placing full blame on her.

This type of behavior drives me nuts.  I feel for the old lady. I hope she is ok

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18018 on: November 19, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »
I read this on a mom's forum I read occasionally.  Mom is shopping with a newborn in a baby carrier and is in line at customer service.  Ahead of her is an elderly lady.  When Elderly Lady steps up to the counter, mom puts the baby carrier on the floor between them (so right behind EL).  EL completes her transaction and steps back, tripping over the baby carrier a d falling on the baby.  Mom loses it and starts screaming at EL, EMS is called for both EL and the baby, chaos ensues.

What amazed me was the number of responses blaming the elderly lady for daring to not constantly monitor the location of the BAYBEEEE and placing full blame on her.

This type of behavior drives me nuts.  I feel for the old lady. I hope she is ok

Same here.  :(  I'm sure she felt terrible, and it was a terrible thing to happen, but it was an accident.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18019 on: November 19, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
Yesterday, I braved the local market to finish my Thanksgiving shopping. I started on the far left of the store, and came toward the right, which is the reverse of what most people do. I was nearly halfway through the store, and I encounter the "possibly SS grocery shopping train". This is an entire family, consisting of 6 adults and more than 10 kids. Each adult had a cart, and one had a wheelchair cart. Everywhere they went, they went together. Even in a single line, they blocked the large aisle around the store. I got what I needed, and avoided the back of the store, where their group was.

Even though that was a bit stressful, I am in bliss knowing I do not have to go back to the store!  :D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18020 on: November 19, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

The mom should get all the blame here -- for endangering an elderly woman by putting a tripping hazard by her, and for endangering her child for putting the carrier on the floor where it could be easily tripped on!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #18021 on: November 19, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »
The mom should get all the blame here -- for endangering an elderly woman by putting a tripping hazard by her, and for endangering her child for putting the carrier on the floor where it could be easily tripped on!

I agree.  That mom caused the entire accident.  I hope the elderly lady and the baby are both okay, and I hope someone clues that mom in that putting your baby (or anything) right behind someone, right where they'll step back, is dangerous.

Iris

« Reply #18022 on: November 19, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »

I agree.  That mom caused the entire accident.  I hope the elderly lady and the baby are both okay, and I hope someone clues that mom in that putting your baby (or anything) right behind someone, right where they'll step back, is dangerous.

Yes, I really hope that Hillia restores my faith in humankind by letting us know that at least SOME of the responders were saying "What the heck is wrong with you? Why would you put your baby on the floor right where someone is standing?!"
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #18023 on: November 19, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

I feel for the old lady, she and Baby could've been badly hurt. Although the time I (a young, mostly spry woman) tripped over someone's baby carrier behind me, I got the full blame. I felt bad, but Kiddo was unharmed.

A friend of mine caused the same situation in the DMV once. He put his son's carrier on the floor because his arms were tired and he didn't think. An EL in front of him stepped back and tripped. Friend caught her under the arms, then appologized profusely for causing the trip hazard. The woman forgave him, on the condition that she get a minute to play with the baby. This apparently translated to about long enough for Friend to turn in the form he was delivering.

Friend bought a body sling for Baby a day or so later. He says the carrier was just more trouble than it was worth for him.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

figee

« Reply #18024 on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

Yes, I really hope that Hillia restores my faith in humankind by letting us know that at least SOME of the responders were saying "What the heck is wrong with you? Why would you put your baby on the floor right where someone is standing?!"

Um yeah.  Replace 'baby' with 'shopping bag', 'dog on leash', 'watermelon', 'bucket of water', 'rake' and its pretty clear that the who was responsible, no?

snowdragon

« Reply #18025 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »
I am in class at the moment. Two women who are NOT members of our class just walked in, interrupted the class, and wanted to use the computers. Our professor allowed them to and now they are in back talking, loudly enough that I can here them in the first row of the lecture all, above another student's presentation.  Two of us have asked them to quiet down, and they tell us we are rude. Prof needs to deal now

Coruscation

« Reply #18026 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
On the other hand, people who walk backwards without looking really shouldn't be surprised when they trip over things. It's a rare trip to the supermarket for me not to have a person who is looking at groceries l just step back into my trolley instead of turning and walking.

When I am in line I expect to find things behind me, even if it is just the person behind me moving forward in anticipation of me leaving.

squeakers

« Reply #18027 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why the mom put the baby behind the lady.  Now if she put the baby down in front of her cart.. I would think the EL would have noticed her coming that close and setting something down. 

----R-- <-register and belt for placing stuff/shelf for placing stuff

[] <--cart

() <-baby

EL <--elderly lady

So was it:

---R--
[]()EL

or
---R--
[] EL
    ()

In the first scenario I would figure EL noticed the mom putting something down and would not have stepped backward (and really, why would she step back that way after her transaction?).

In the second I would really wonder why the EL did not notice the mom getting up behind her (but then again I get nervous when anyone walks behind me in the usually narrow register aisles) but could understand her not thinking to look down and behind herself.  Usually I would just turn to the right and walk away.. but maybe she was swinging her purse/shopping bags and needed a bit of room to get away from the counter.

Either way the screaming was rude.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18028 on: November 19, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why the mom put the baby behind the lady.  Now if she put the baby down in front of her cart.. I would think the EL would have noticed her coming that close and setting something down. 
*snip*

In the first scenario I would figure EL noticed the mom putting something down and would not have stepped backward (and really, why would she step back that way after her transaction?).

In the second I would really wonder why the EL did not notice the mom getting up behind her (but then again I get nervous when anyone walks behind me in the usually narrow register aisles) but could understand her not thinking to look down and behind herself.  Usually I would just turn to the right and walk away.. but maybe she was swinging her purse/shopping bags and needed a bit of room to get away from the counter.

Either way the screaming was rude.

I think the point was that they were in Customer Service, not at a register.  In the States, where I'm from and live, most CS desks work by having a line, one behind the other, and just the counter in front.  You would need to turn left or right to exit, and I could see why someone would need to back up a little.  Why she missed the lady putting her carrier down?  Single file, plus focused on talking to the CS rep at hand.  Putting the baby directly behind the little old lady was rude, and a trip was nigh on unavoidable.

squeakers

« Reply #18029 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
I think the point was that they were in Customer Service, not at a register.  In the States, where I'm from and live, most CS desks work by having a line, one behind the other, and just the counter in front.  You would need to turn left or right to exit, and I could see why someone would need to back up a little.  Why she missed the lady putting her carrier down?  Single file, plus focused on talking to the CS rep at hand.  Putting the baby directly behind the little old lady was rude, and a trip was nigh on unavoidable.

Ooops, you are right.  I just conflated "in line" and "counter" with a check-out counter.

Still seems odd the EL did not notice the mom putting _something_ down behind her (whether a baby or a heavy bag of dog food etc.)  But like I said.. I don't like people "right" behind me so would be looking to see what was going on. I also try to give the person in front of me some privacy so am not right on their heels.  I like that personal space bubble very much!

The mom was rude and why she wanted the baby on the floor instead of set over the seat/in the cart we will never know. *SMH* at someone who could have seriously hurt another person by being careless.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin