Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5424525 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18045 on: November 20, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
A minor one, more funny than SS, but I was going "huh?" inside.  My store processes checks electronically, so the customer gets it back. So there really isn't any need to write it out. But i don't tell customers that since every now and then it won't process electronically, and we ahve to keep it, and deposit it, and it does need to have all the necesary info filled in.

had a customer the other night pay with a check.  Some people still aren't aware they get them back, so I always mention it.  Well, you would have thought I asked her to kick a puppy!  She said "OH NO, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have filled it out, what a waste of a check!!!!!' Um ok, if you say so.  Then she said it again.  And a third time. All I could do was apologize, but really? She also commented on how she could have used it again had she simply given me a blank check (no, because even if its not filled in, we still put it through and its franked).  Plus I'm pretty sure you can't use the same check number twice, although I could be wrong. She finally left but really? Such a teeny thing to make a fuss over.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18046 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »
I don't really get how it's being a Special Snowflake to thimk that something isn't art. It may be rude or hurtful (and pretty unnecessary) to tell your friend that her work isn't art but it doesn't seem that SS to me. How are they implying that the rules don't apply to them because they're so special?

(I also don't really get what effort has to do with art. Solving a million piece jigsaw puzzle isn't art even though it creates an image and takes a lot of time and you can even frame it in the end)

I think a part of art is the creativity and spirit put into it, and making an original product in the end.  Saying that you put that same spirit into an original work but you can't claim it as yours because everyone else did it (then why doesn't the photographer credit Deity/Hydrogen for their pictures?) is pretty Snowflakey in itself.

Shalamar

« Reply #18047 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
I'm not sure who was the bigger SS here, the customer or my boss.   I used to work for a dinner theatre, and one night I got a call in the ticket-booking office from a prospective customer wanting to know details about the show.  I hadn't seen it (we employees didn't get free tickets, and they were too pricey for me), but I answered as best I could by reading the program.   The customer seemed satisfied and hung up.

A few days later, the theatre received a blistering letter complaining about how ignorant I was and how unhelpful I had been.    Luckily, she hadn't gotten my name - because my boss was absolutely furious about the letter and vowed to fire whomever was responsible.    :-\

Sanity Lost

« Reply #18048 on: November 21, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
Another driving one!

I was in the left turning lane waiting for a break in traffic (I had a green light). There was a steady stream of cars going in the opposite direction; but 5 cars down there was a decent break coming. Apparently the lady behind me felt I should have zoomed through even with oncoming traffic and started honking and waving and yelling. I simply waved back and pointed to the (still) oncoming cars. Once the break was there, I went through and she zoomed around me (still yelling) to pull into the parking lot of the stores on the corner. Total time she had to wait from when I arrived at the light...2 minutes  ::)

Sorry lady, I am not causing a horrific accident so you can get to the store a whole 2 minutes sooner. I like body parts to still be attached.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #18049 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
I'm not sure who was the bigger SS here, the customer or my boss.   I used to work for a dinner theatre, and one night I got a call in the ticket-booking office from a prospective customer wanting to know details about the show.  I hadn't seen it (we employees didn't get free tickets, and they were too pricey for me), but I answered as best I could by reading the program.   The customer seemed satisfied and hung up.

A few days later, the theatre received a blistering letter complaining about how ignorant I was and how unhelpful I had been.    Luckily, she hadn't gotten my name - because my boss was absolutely furious about the letter and vowed to fire whomever was responsible.    :-\

This is the exact reason why I will not use my name on the phone, when I have to answer it.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18050 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
Reminds me of when I was doing work experience at a radio station, before widespread Internet use.  I was 15 and it was Valentine's Day.  A woman rang to ask what the "St Valentine's Day Massacre" was and I had no idea.  I suggested a local library and offered to get their addresses for her, but she crossly insisted, "I want you to tell me."  Bizarre.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18051 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »

This is the exact reason why I will not use my name on the phone, when I have to answer it.
We are required to give our full names, as well as email address to anyone who calls, be it angry student, parent, or reporter. Ah, life in the public sector!

Edited to fix the quote tree. Twice.  :-[

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #18052 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
Reminds me of when I was doing work experience at a radio station, before widespread Internet use.  I was 15 and it was Valentine's Day.  A woman rang to ask what the "St Valentine's Day Massacre" was and I had no idea.  I suggested a local library and offered to get their addresses for her, but she crossly insisted, "I want you to tell me."  Bizarre.

I used to do radio and if I ever slipped up and mispronounced a word, some anonymous listener would photocopy that page in the dictionary, highlight the word and the pronunciation and mail it to me.  ::)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

heartmug

« Reply #18053 on: November 21, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
Another driving one!

I was in the left turning lane waiting for a break in traffic (I had a green light). There was a steady stream of cars going in the opposite direction; but 5 cars down there was a decent break coming. Apparently the lady behind me felt I should have zoomed through even with oncoming traffic and started honking and waving and yelling. I simply waved back and pointed to the (still) oncoming cars. Once the break was there, I went through and she zoomed around me (still yelling) to pull into the parking lot of the stores on the corner. Total time she had to wait from when I arrived at the light...2 minutes  ::)

Sorry lady, I am not causing a horrific accident so you can get to the store a whole 2 minutes sooner. I like body parts to still be attached.

Oh gosh, that just happened to my teen.  She is learning to drive and, thankfully, being super cautious.  She didn't feel comfortable making a right turn when a car was kind of far away.  I let her make the judgement call but the guy in the truck behind us had a few choice words for her as he zoomed past us after making his turn.  She learned the ugly truth that that is part of driving.  Idiots.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18054 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
I used to do radio and if I ever slipped up and mispronounced a word, some anonymous listener would photocopy that page in the dictionary, highlight the word and the pronunciation and mail it to me.  ::)

I actually understand the anonymous listener's feelings here, but he/she had no business correcting you.  I'm a little particular about pronunciation and spelling, or even what something is called, and I sometimes have to catch myself from saying, "You mean such-and-such?"  I used to have a customer who would come in and buy Marlboro Ultra Lights, and she would always say without so much as a hello, "Ultra Light Marlboro."  I would bite my tongue and get her the cigarettes, thinking to myself, "Must...not...nooo, you keep your mouth shut, CrochetFanatic!"  Also, would it kill her to use complete sentences and say "please" and "thank you"?  Guess I sort of have to work to not be a Special Snowflake when it comes to that kind of thing.

AfleetAlex

« Reply #18055 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
Most often it would just be a case of tongue tripping that caused the mispronunciation, and a few days hence, I could expect the anonymous letter.  :D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18056 on: November 21, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
Most often it would just be a case of tongue tripping that caused the mispronunciation, and a few days hence, I could expect the anonymous letter.  :D

Well, at least you knew that you had at least one listener who was really paying attention!   :D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18057 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
My husband is a volunteer DJ on public radio and the university student radio station.  There is another girl who DJs on both stations.  She is relatively new to the islands.  A public radio listener heard the Girl DJ mispronounce the name of her town so she, the listener, posted a nasty comment on her Facebook that the public radio station should be ashamed of itself for having such an ignorant DJ who doesn't know how to pronounce [Town Name].

I spoke to Girl DJ later.  She said this woman listener discusses on her Facebook account how her greatest challenge is learning to tolerate ignorance gracefully.  I think she has a long way to go before she qualifies as "graceful."  The listener could have called the DJ directly and simply told her the proper pronunciation of the town name.  She didn't have to go for public humiliation. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MissRose

« Reply #18058 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
My husband is a volunteer DJ on public radio and the university student radio station.  There is another girl who DJs on both stations.  She is relatively new to the islands.  A public radio listener heard the Girl DJ mispronounce the name of her town so she, the listener, posted a nasty comment on her Facebook that the public radio station should be ashamed of itself for having such an ignorant DJ who doesn't know how to pronounce [Town Name].

I spoke to Girl DJ later.  She said this woman listener discusses on her Facebook account how her greatest challenge is learning to tolerate ignorance gracefully.  I think she has a long way to go before she qualifies as "graceful."  The listener could have called the DJ directly and simply told her the proper pronunciation of the town name.  She didn't have to go for public humiliation. :-[

I had a now ex friend that often pointed out me mis-pronouncing stuff on air as I do volunteer broadcasting.   That is among the reasons why she is now an ex friend (including making comments about blogs related to body image that were not nice and trying to tell me how to do my show when she would not do one herself).

AfleetAlex

« Reply #18059 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
We did occasionally have very kind listeners who would correct us over the phone if we mispronounced, say, a small town name that we'd never come across before. You were always supposed to pre-read everything before you put it on air, but if you came across breaking news, you entered a 'rip-and-read' situation, meaning you tore the story off the (dot matrix!) printer and dashed it into the studio, and sometimes you'd hit a word you weren't familiar with while live on air. I still sometimes come across towns I've never heard of in this state and I've lived here my whole life!  :D