Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297823 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18075 on: November 22, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
This is reminding me of that exchange from "ST:TNG" when the visiting doctor pronounced Data's name as "Dah-tah".   When he politely corrected her, she asked "What's the difference?"

"One is my name.   The other is not."

faithlessone

« Reply #18076 on: November 22, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »
they should know that the state of Maryland is pronounced more like 'MERI-lund' than 'MARY-LAND'. it made the place sound like a fun park.

It is??? Goodness, I'm a Brit, and I've been pronoucing that wrong my entire life!

I guess you learn something new every day. ;D

Elisabunny

« Reply #18077 on: November 22, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
they should know that the state of Maryland is pronounced more like 'MERI-lund' than 'MARY-LAND'. it made the place sound like a fun park.

It is??? Goodness, I'm a Brit, and I've been pronoucing that wrong my entire life!

Well, to be fair, Mary-Land was the original pronunciation, but unless you're participating in a colonial reinactment or a production of 1776 you're not going to hear it. ;)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

figee

« Reply #18078 on: November 22, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Well, to be fair, Mary-Land was the original pronunciation, but unless you're participating in a colonial reinactment or a production of 1776 you're not going to hear it. ;)

Or, presumably, a member of the colonising and imperial power.   >:D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #18079 on: November 22, 2012, 05:23:08 PM »
And the state to the north of California is OR-uh-gun or even OR-gun. Not orry-GON.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18080 on: November 22, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

Locally, it's pronounced MARE-lun.  Mare like the female horse. That person who heads a city government is also a mare.   And that city Baltimore?  BAWL-mur.  The baseball team is the OR-yuls.  That large bird on the US money?  That's an iggle. They can't really do much to mess up the football team name Ravens.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #18081 on: November 22, 2012, 06:34:28 PM »
I used to do radio and if I ever slipped up and mispronounced a word, some anonymous listener would photocopy that page in the dictionary, highlight the word and the pronunciation and mail it to me.  ::)
My husband is a volunteer DJ on public radio and the university student radio station.  There is another girl who DJs on both stations.  She is relatively new to the islands.  A public radio listener heard the Girl DJ mispronounce the name of her town so she, the listener, posted a nasty comment on her Facebook that the public radio station should be ashamed of itself for having such an ignorant DJ who doesn't know how to pronounce [Town Name].

I spoke to Girl DJ later.  She said this woman listener discusses on her Facebook account how her greatest challenge is learning to tolerate ignorance gracefully.  I think she has a long way to go before she qualifies as "graceful."  The listener could have called the DJ directly and simply told her the proper pronunciation of the town name.  She didn't have to go for public humiliation. :-[

Wow... I went to college in a town that is not pronounced the way it's spelled, and I have corrected newcomers on the pronunciation (I had to be corrected myself when I moved there). But insults over it? Jeez.

judecat

« Reply #18082 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »

Locally, it's pronounced MARE-lun.  Mare like the female horse. That person who heads a city government is also a mare.   And that city Baltimore?  BAWL-mur.  The baseball team is the OR-yuls.  That large bird on the US money?  That's an iggle. They can't really do much to mess up the football team name Ravens.

Actually some of us pronounce the state closer to Merlyn like the arthurian wizard.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18083 on: November 22, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »

Actually some of us pronounce the state closer to Merlyn like the arthurian wizard.

Mare-ah-lund here.  I also say Borderlunds, but Wasteland. :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18084 on: November 22, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
And the state to the north of California is OR-uh-gun or even OR-gun. Not orry-GON.

Born and raised in Oregon and it is pronounced Orry-gun.

Jape

« Reply #18085 on: November 22, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

Out of interest - why?  That probably sounds snarky, but it's not meant to be.  Merely curious.  The US is a big place with a lot of place names that don't seem to neccessarily be pronounced the same throughout your own country.  I'm from Australia and I would probably pronounce it Mary-land.  I don't know that I've ever heard an American pronounce Melbourne correctly (It's pronounced more Mel-burn than Mel-born).  I just figure, you weren't born here and you're doing your best.

greencat

« Reply #18086 on: November 22, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »

Out of interest - why?  That probably sounds snarky, but it's not meant to be.  Merely curious.  The US is a big place with a lot of place names that don't seem to neccessarily be pronounced the same throughout your own country.  I'm from Australia and I would probably pronounce it Mary-land.  I don't know that I've ever heard an American pronounce Melbourne correctly (It's pronounced more Mel-burn than Mel-born).  I just figure, you weren't born here and you're doing your best.

Mostly because we have a lot of distinct regional, state, and even city-specific accents, and the etymology of the place names sometimes also affects the pronunciation.  It is Mare-ih-lund for me, which seems to be the fairly standard way to pronounce it when not affected by a local accent.

Oddly enough, the cultural oddities that affect our place names led to my brain hurting as a teenager when I was visiting Boston for a summer program, and my boyfriend lived in the suburb Worchester, while my roommate was from Wooster, Ohio.  Both place names are pronounced "Wuss-ter."

mariejkt

« Reply #18087 on: November 23, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

Born and raised in Oregon and it is pronounced Orry-gun.

Another born and raised in Oregon and I have always heard and pronounced it Orry-gun

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #18088 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »
Could the pronounciation descriptions please be moved to another thread?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

HorseFreak

« Reply #18089 on: November 23, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »

Mostly because we have a lot of distinct regional, state, and even city-specific accents, and the etymology of the place names sometimes also affects the pronunciation.  It is Mare-ih-lund for me, which seems to be the fairly standard way to pronounce it when not affected by a local accent.

Oddly enough, the cultural oddities that affect our place names led to my brain hurting as a teenager when I was visiting Boston for a summer program, and my boyfriend lived in the suburb Worchester, while my roommate was from Wooster, Ohio.  Both place names are pronounced "Wuss-ter."

It's actually spelled Worcester.  ;)

Back to SS, here's one: my intern is throwing an enormous fit that she can't have the entire Christmas break off and Christmas Day since she was off for a week during Thanksgiving (which I thought was ridiculous anyway since we had to beg students for help). She doesn't seem to realize that intern = one year of being a servant in exchange for a decent paycheck and a lot of knowledge required to advance in the field. Most internships actually involve only a few hours of sleep a night for weeks at a time and she hardly has much to do. She actually think the people who have advanced beyond her position need to come help her with the menial tasks that were fully explained as her duties.  That includes myself and I held her exact position a couple years ago, was 10x as busy and didn't have a fraction of the help she does. ::) I actually work MORE hours overall than she does and I have to work Christmas this year.