Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4435600 times)

MrTango

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18090 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
My sister.

She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

She's been in several minor car accidents in the last month due to this condition (a curb/fence/tree/other car just "jumps out" at her), and yet she seems to think it's okay to drive because, in her words "I only drive when I have to."

Somehow, I don't think "But I only drive when I need to" is going to be a very good defense when she wrecks her car and kills someone...

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18091 on: November 23, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
When I went to University there was a large group of us from the Houston area. One of the upperclassmen girls took exception to how we pronounced Houston. One day in the TV lounge she lost it.

She got in my face and told me it is pronounced Houston not youston now say it right.

Silence

Me were are you from

Her Plano

Me I'm from YOUston. My family has been in YOUston for 3 generations (don't laugh for here that is a long time). I'm a native YOUstonian. We get to decide how it is pronounced not you.

Silence me staring at her, she turns heel and walks off.

Some other girl - Do you know who that was.

Me - I. Do. Not. Care. I grew up with the Memorial and River Oaks Brats. I don't give a fig what they think of me. I don't care what a some girl from Plano thinks of me - I would NOT care if she was from Highland Park. No one gets in my face like that.  (All neighborhoods of the wealthy/privileged/powerful families)

Girl from my high school - laughing  And I thought you were mute for 4 years. (I didn't talk much in HS)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Hunter-Gatherer

« Reply #18092 on: November 23, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

HorseFreak

« Reply #18093 on: November 23, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #18094 on: November 23, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »

I don't know about a neurological condition, but I have low blood pressure and a high pulse rate. My doctor says this isn't an uncommon combination. If I stand up suddenly I can get light headed and/or see spots.

greencat

« Reply #18095 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:21 PM »
A point of interest from my own medical history, which I got reminded of today by experiencing it again: having dizziness associated with changing positions from laying down to sitting to standing is because your blood pressure drops when you change positions, which is called orthostatic vitals, which in my own personal case, is caused by being a little dehydrated and usually by not having my customary dose of caffeine in my system.  That is, this morning I didn't have my customary three cups of cola and I nearly passed out while cleaning up at work.

My special snowflake for today is my cat.  Despite have free access to and from the outside from the back of my house, she prefers to wait in the front of the house and meow until I let her in - even though she went out the back.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18096 on: November 24, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
...My special snowflake for today is my cat.  Despite have free access to and from the outside from the back of my house, she prefers to wait in the front of the house and meow until I let her in - even though she went out the back.

"But Mom, I want in THIS way!"

Our cat does it occasionally.  We'd be trying to get him in through the front door, and he'd insist we must go all the way around the house and through the garage to let him in through the side door. ::)

MrTango

« Reply #18097 on: November 24, 2012, 12:17:16 AM »

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

Sadly, I'm less worried about that than I am about the idea of her killing someone else...

In any case, I've gotten to the point where I actually blocked both her and her boyfriend on FB so I don't have to see her complain the next time a curb/fence/tree jumps out at her.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18098 on: November 24, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »

Sadly, I'm less worried about that than I am about the idea of her killing someone else...

In any case, I've gotten to the point where I actually blocked both her and her boyfriend on FB so I don't have to see her complain the next time a curb/fence/tree jumps out at her.

I think that's what the Yellow Wiggle suffered from.

Victoria

Soprych

« Reply #18099 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:29 AM »
The SS cat reminds me of my SS chicken.  This hen does not like to get her feet dewy.  She also prefers to sleep on the rail on my back porch rather than in the coop with the others.  In the morning the hen will repeatedly bang on my back door until I pick her up, carry her through the house and let her go out the front door.  The front of the house faces the sun rise so it is a bit dryer and really good for insect foraging.  Lazy little thing.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18100 on: November 24, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »
The SS cat reminds me of my SS chicken.  This hen does not like to get her feet dewy.  She also prefers to sleep on the rail on my back porch rather than in the coop with the others.  In the morning the hen will repeatedly bang on my back door until I pick her up, carry her through the house and let her go out the front door.  The front of the house faces the sun rise so it is a bit dryer and really good for insect foraging.  Lazy little thing.

It sounds like she's got you trained really well!  :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #18101 on: November 24, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
I used to do radio and if I ever slipped up and mispronounced a word, some anonymous listener would photocopy that page in the dictionary, highlight the word and the pronunciation and mail it to me.  ::)

I actually understand the anonymous listener's feelings here, but he/she had no business correcting you.   

Well...if the mispronunciation were extended and made for mockery, there's a case for informing the person of their error(s).
Such as a former pastor of mine, who told this story on himself: he was in high school and was assigned to read from a translation that described that when the Angel of the Lord arrived, Abraham was sitting next to a brazier. Except he didn't know the word, and pronounced it with the emphasis on the second syllable.

And the former pastor who preached an entire sermon about the missionary journeys of Paul and Barabbas. Who was the thief released instead of Christ, not Paul's fellow missionary.  >:D

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18102 on: November 24, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
I ran into a juvenile SS yesterday at the store.  I was already in a foul humor because I couldn't find the final ingredient for a caramel apple cheesecake (the caramels!), and I was making my third pass down the candy aisle in a futile attempt to see if I had merely overlooked them.  Seriously, I ended up having to go to four different stores.  It wasn't that they were out of them, they just didn't carry them. 

Anyway, I stopped in front of a candy I hadn't seen before, and moved in for a closer look.  I didn't want it, I was just curious.  This little boy, I would guess he was about eight years old, butted in front of me and grabbed it up as he said, "That's mine!"  He was definitely old enough to know better.

I was startled, and a little annoyed, so I answered him instead of staying quiet.  "Okay?  :o I don't really want it, though."

The man the kid was with gave me a dirty look as they left the aisle, probably for talking to his (I think) son.  Maybe he was just an uncle, I don't know.  I do know that if I had pulled something like this at that age, I would have been made to apologize, leave the store without a treat, and endure an "I'm very disappointed in you" lecture on the way home before having to sit in my room for a while.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, I know.  And I wish I could say that I was surprised he didn't get in trouble.

Shalamar

« Reply #18103 on: November 25, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
I saw two SS examples in the post office yesterday.

The first was a lady who wanted to mail a Christmas present overseas.  When she was told that it would cost $5, she spluttered "FIVE DOLLARS?  That's more than the gift cost!   Forget it!".  (My thoughts:  "You spent less than five bucks on the person's Christmas present?  And now they're not even going to receive it because you're too cheap to pay to mail it?  'Kay.")

The second wasn't actually seen, but he/she made her presence known anyway.   The post office sells boxes for shipping larger items.  People often grab a box, put the item into it, write the address info on it, then pay for the whole thing all at once - box and shipping costs.  I've done this myself.   Well, SS must have changed his/her mind, because I saw an abandoned box with a scribbled-out address on it.   Never mind that the box will probably be considered unusable now.

PeterM

« Reply #18104 on: November 25, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
The first was a lady who wanted to mail a Christmas present overseas.  When she was told that it would cost $5, she spluttered "FIVE DOLLARS?  That's more than the gift cost!   Forget it!".  (My thoughts:  "You spent less than five bucks on the person's Christmas present?  And now they're not even going to receive it because you're too cheap to pay to mail it?  'Kay.")

My first thought is, Lady, they're charging you five bucks and they'll send it to the other side of the world in a remarkably short time. Pay up, and give thanks you live in a society where that's possible.

People who gripe about reasonable post office charges annoy the snot out of me.