Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5061219 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18105 on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
they should know that the state of Maryland is pronounced more like 'MERI-lund' than 'MARY-LAND'. it made the place sound like a fun park.

It is??? Goodness, I'm a Brit, and I've been pronoucing that wrong my entire life!

I guess you learn something new every day. ;D
Locally, it's pronounced MARE-lun.  Mare like the female horse. That person who heads a city government is also a mare.   And that city Baltimore?  BAWL-mur.  The baseball team is the OR-yuls.  That large bird on the US money?  That's an iggle. They can't really do much to mess up the football team name Ravens.

I would note that I've lived near Baltimore for the vast majority of my life, and I say MARE-uh-lind. And BALLD-uh-more, for that matter. But MARY-LAND is just wrong.

Now, just don't get into Lancaster, Pennsylvania . . .

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #18106 on: November 26, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »
The first was a lady who wanted to mail a Christmas present overseas.  When she was told that it would cost $5, she spluttered "FIVE DOLLARS?  That's more than the gift cost!   Forget it!".  (My thoughts:  "You spent less than five bucks on the person's Christmas present?  And now they're not even going to receive it because you're too cheap to pay to mail it?  'Kay.")

My first thought is, Lady, they're charging you five bucks and they'll send it to the other side of the world in a remarkably short time. Pay up, and give thanks you live in a society where that's possible.

People who gripe about reasonable post office charges annoy the snot out of me.

I wish I was mailing a package to where she's sending hers! I'm sending one to Canada in the next couple of weeks and the cheapest quote I've gotten is $32. Granted, it's probably a lot bigger than whatever +/- $5 gift she got  :P

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #18107 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
The first was a lady who wanted to mail a Christmas present overseas.  When she was told that it would cost $5, she spluttered "FIVE DOLLARS?  That's more than the gift cost!   Forget it!".  (My thoughts:  "You spent less than five bucks on the person's Christmas present?  And now they're not even going to receive it because you're too cheap to pay to mail it?  'Kay.")

My first thought is, Lady, they're charging you five bucks and they'll send it to the other side of the world in a remarkably short time. Pay up, and give thanks you live in a society where that's possible.

People who gripe about reasonable post office charges annoy the snot out of me.

I wish I was mailing a package to where she's sending hers! I'm sending one to Canada in the next couple of weeks and the cheapest quote I've gotten is $32. Granted, it's probably a lot bigger than whatever +/- $5 gift she got  :P

That's what I was thinking! If I mail anything larger than a standard letter, it costs more than $5 - even nationally.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18108 on: November 26, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
I'm Baltimore born and raised (Ok Woodlawn) I usually say Mare-lund.  If I'm really tired it comes out Mer-lin.  I almost always enunciate Baltimore so it comes out Bawl-ti-more.  When tired though Bawl-mor is much more likely to be heard

ETA: I'm thinking we should take place name pronunciation to another thread as well.  Don't want to derail this thread anymore than it has been

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18109 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »
I just got a part-time seasonal job at a big department store. We get a pretty good discount when you factor in that it stacks with coupons and sale prices (one of the women working there said she ended up paying $36 for a $200 sweater). Suddenly everyone I know is asking if they can use my discount. First, it's against policy..only my husband is eligible to receive my discount, and they do keep an eye on the registers to make sure you're not misusing it. Second thing is, you get the discount by using a store credit card that they give you. So in order for someone else to use my discount, I'd have to hand over my credit card to them, or buy the item myself and have them pay me back. Which I am not going to do, because again..credit card. I'm not racking up debt just so people can save some extra money, especially since I wouldn't trust some of the ones who are asking to actually pay me back. One even said "Oh, it's a credit card? So you could buy it for me and I could just pay you back at the end of the billing cycle!"

Another person asked if I could give a discount by marking the item as damaged (those get an extra 10% off) even if it's not. Um..no. Stop asking! If you want a discount, get a job at the store yourself.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18110 on: November 26, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
I just got a part-time seasonal job at a big department store. We get a pretty good discount when you factor in that it stacks with coupons and sale prices (one of the women working there said she ended up paying $36 for a $200 sweater). Suddenly everyone I know is asking if they can use my discount. First, it's against policy..only my husband is eligible to receive my discount, and they do keep an eye on the registers to make sure you're not misusing it. Second thing is, you get the discount by using a store credit card that they give you. So in order for someone else to use my discount, I'd have to hand over my credit card to them, or buy the item myself and have them pay me back. Which I am not going to do, because again..credit card. I'm not racking up debt just so people can save some extra money, especially since I wouldn't trust some of the ones who are asking to actually pay me back. One even said "Oh, it's a credit card? So you could buy it for me and I could just pay you back at the end of the billing cycle!"

Another person asked if I could give a discount by marking the item as damaged (those get an extra 10% off) even if it's not. Um..no. Stop asking! If you want a discount, get a job at the store yourself.

Ugh, I hate that!  I lost a so-called "friendship" over it when I refused to let them use my discount.  It turned into a huge fight (not on store grounds, luckily), and I asked, "Is my worth to you measured by what you can get out of me?"  The response was, "You're so selfish!"  Yeah, I guess I am!  Such as it was, I wanted to keep my job.

I also had a customer report me to a manager for rudeness by giving her a flat-out "no" when she asked for the same.  She didn't like "blunt refusals", according to her.  She didn't get her discount.  ;D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18111 on: November 26, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
Yes, I had a friend get very upset with me when I wouldn't serve her alcohol at the pub I worked in.  I was over 18 and she was a few months short of being 18.

Serving her alcohol would have been illegal, and could result in the place being shut down and all sorts.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:07:03 PM by RingTailedLemur »

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18112 on: November 26, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »

Ugh, I hate that!  I lost a so-called "friendship" over it when I refused to let them use my discount.  It turned into a huge fight (not on store grounds, luckily), and I asked, "Is my worth to you measured by what you can get out of me?"  The response was, "You're so selfish!"  Yeah, I guess I am!  Such as it was, I wanted to keep my job.

I also had a customer report me to a manager for rudeness by giving her a flat-out "no" when she asked for the same.  She didn't like "blunt refusals", according to her.  She didn't get her discount.  ;D

My husband also gets it. He works as an optician, and gets a hefty discount on glasses. His mother is awful about saying "Oh, you should go to XYZ Optical Place..my son can give you a big discount on glasses!"

The only way he can share his discount is by using one of the few coupons they give employees for that purpose. He gets only 6 of those per year, and people are constantly asking him for them so they tend to be spoken for before he even gets a new booklet of them.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18113 on: November 26, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »

...   My husband also gets it. He works as an optician, and gets a hefty discount on glasses. His mother is awful about saying "Oh, you should go to XYZ Optical Place..my son can give you a big discount on glasses!" ...

Can't he just ask (tell) his Mom to stop doing that?

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18114 on: November 26, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »

...   My husband also gets it. He works as an optician, and gets a hefty discount on glasses. His mother is awful about saying "Oh, you should go to XYZ Optical Place..my son can give you a big discount on glasses!" ...

He has told her several times to stop. Unfortunately telling her to stop doing something is like telling the wind to stop blowing. She'll just keep doing it anyways.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18115 on: November 26, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

He has told her several times to stop. Unfortunately telling her to stop doing something is like telling the wind to stop blowing. She'll just keep doing it anyways.

How about turning it back on her?  Like "Mom, you know when you promise your friends I can get them big discounts on their glasses, it really makes YOU look bad when it turns out that I really can't do that!  Having to tell them that that just won't be possible is kind of embarrassing even for me.  I can't imagine how embarrassing it must be for you!"

MissRose

« Reply #18116 on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
I am glad I had no issues with people using discounts when I worked at a mall's Golden Arches years ago.  Some people would be in their store uniforms, other places that didn't have them, people had to wear a badge or name tag showing the place they worked at.  I know the discount wasn't significant but still the 5 or 6 food court places in the mall did that out of good will.  If we recognized a regular who was not in a uniform or did not have their badge/tag, we could still give the discount.  I never had random people ask for it thankfully.

MindsEye

« Reply #18117 on: November 26, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »

I could almost swear (other than the little details of gender and profession of the annoyed person) that your MIL is my aunt.

My cousin works at a boutique that offers a very generous (and strictly regulated) discount to employees.  My aunt did the same thing as your MIL - telling all and sundry to "go to X Boutique!  My daughter works there and will give you a huge discount!"  Everything my cousin said to her went in one ear and straight out the other. 

The only thing that finally got my aunt to quit it was when my cousin started telling everyone who would come in looking for her to give a discount because her mom/my aunt had promised one - "That's simply not true.  I cannot give out discounts like that and my Mom knows it.  I have no idea why she lied to you about this."

Of course, my cousin was pretty fed up by the time she got to this point, and had no problems with causing her mom lots of public embarrassment.  (YMMV!) 

It worked to the point that my aunt has selectively edited history and now hotly denies that she ever did any of this!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18118 on: November 26, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
UGH. The dreaded employee discount. I work, and ahve worked, in a women's store PT for the last 7 years. Thankfully, that issue hasn't ever come up for me.  Technially we are not supposed to use our discount for anyone but ourselves, and gifts. However, in my store, they don't really mind if we use it mom's, daughters, sisters, and family. As long as its not abused, its ok.

I do remember one year, about 20 years ago, working for the holidays in a large, well-known dept. store. I was working in the fashion jewelry dept, and a customer came in, someone who I didn't know, but recognized as we sometimes took the same bus into NYC. But I didn't know her name or anything.  She actualy had the nerve to ask me if I could buy something with my discount, and she'd give me the "bread" later on. I politely said sorry, I'm not allowed to do that, which i wasn't but even if I was, as I didn't know her, I wouldn't have done it!

MerryCat

« Reply #18119 on: November 26, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
<Quote tree trimmed>
Of course, my cousin was pretty fed up by the time she got to this point, and had no problems with causing her mom lots of public embarrassment.  (YMMV!) 

It worked to the point that my aunt has selectively edited history and now hotly denies that she ever did any of this!

I think your DH might have to do something like this with your MIL. I think that hooking people up with a "good deal" gives your MIL a certain sense of importance, while your DH has to be the bad guy and say no. There's no reason for her to stop unless there are negative consequences to her.