Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4387241 times)

bloo

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18135 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
SS can-i-abuse-use-your-discountus:

I work for the owner of a health food store. I'm given a fairly generous discount for my family to use. I do use it for some things but not all as there are some wholesalers that can still sell to me cheaper, even with my discount.

My Bff came with me to the store and I picked up some snacks for us to share using my discount. She must have told her special snowflakey sister about it then because a couple weeks later I got this call:

SS: Bloo, can you get me Supplement X and Vitamin Y at the store?

Bloo: Sure. You need me to pick them up for you when I go in?

SS: Yes, please. Bff said you get a good discount, so how much will those cost?

Bloo: :o...then >:(...uh, I can't give you a discount.

SS: Why not? BFF told me to call you!

Bloo: I can't believe BFF would say that. I never told her that I'd use my discount for anybody other than my family. The sale of supplements is my boss's bread-n-butter. It'd be like stealing!

SS: cue annoying whining and explanations, then...I guess I'll just order them online.

Bloo: Okay.

I really stewed about what to say to my BFF knowing her flaky sister would go whining to her, then realized 'You know what Bloo? This is her (BFF's) problem. You never told her you'd give anybody who knows your name a discount. Just forget about it.' The more I thought about it, the more I was sure BFF would never say anything to me about it.

And I was right, she never did.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18136 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
<Quote tree trimmed>
Of course, my cousin was pretty fed up by the time she got to this point, and had no problems with causing her mom lots of public embarrassment.  (YMMV!) 

It worked to the point that my aunt has selectively edited history and now hotly denies that she ever did any of this!

I think your DH might have to do something like this with your MIL. I think that hooking people up with a "good deal" gives your MIL a certain sense of importance, while your DH has to be the bad guy and say no. There's no reason for her to stop unless there are negative consequences to her.

He just tells people "what, you believed her? You know how she is..sorry, but I can't use my discount like that for you." A lot of the requests from family have died off since then, thankfully.

If he has coupons he will share them if they're not already spoken for, but usually he has a list of people who he has already promised them to.

I am really dreading her finding out that I'm working retail..I'm sure she will tell all and sundry that I can give them a discount.

geekette

« Reply #18137 on: November 27, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »
Being in the IT field means that you're the first port of call whenever anyone you know has computer problems... Even if its the opposite kind of the computer to the sort you've used, and even if they're 4 hours drive away. Oh, but you can't ask them to push certain button combinations or click on certain places and then read out what the screen says, that's too hard.  ::)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18138 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:29 AM »
Being in the IT field means that you're the first port of call whenever anyone you know has computer problems... Even if its the opposite kind of the computer to the sort you've used, and even if they're 4 hours drive away. Oh, but you can't ask them to push certain button combinations or click on certain places and then read out what the screen says, that's too hard.  ::)

Send them all this link: http://xkcd.com/627/
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MissRose

« Reply #18139 on: November 27, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »

I so know the feeling GRRRRRR

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #18140 on: November 27, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
VorGuy came out of the bedroom a couple of hours after Thanksgiving dinner because his laptop did the BSOD and shut down - he was frantic because he's doing things online for work projects coming up this weekend and next (a marching competition & an awards banquet) and he NEEDS his computer.

I'm supposed to pull a repair disk out of the turkey carcass or something (no, I didn't take one on our long weekend trip) and FIX his computer.

By the time, I got it set up next to mine and touched the trackpad.....it had finished rebooting and had hibernated - so I unlocked it, made him a piece of pie with whipped topping, and took both of them to him (with DD carrying the pie).  He calmed down remarkably once the computer was working again.....although pie makes a great distraction.......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18141 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
VorGuy came out of the bedroom a couple of hours after Thanksgiving dinner because his laptop did the BSOD and shut down - he was frantic because he's doing things online for work projects coming up this weekend and next (a marching competition & an awards banquet) and he NEEDS his computer.

I'm supposed to pull a repair disk out of the turkey carcass or something (no, I didn't take one on our long weekend trip) and FIX his computer.

By the time, I got it set up next to mine and touched the trackpad.....it had finished rebooting and had hibernated - so I unlocked it, made him a piece of pie with whipped topping, and took both of them to him (with DD carrying the pie).  He calmed down remarkably once the computer was working again.....although pie makes a great distraction.......

Yep, it's most definately not always friends looking for free IT help.  I'm amazed at how IT helpless my 2 teenagers and my DH can be. I'm taking a hint from the commercial and IT Mom has quit.

My DH has been using my son's old laptop to watch videos while working out. 
2 weeks ago:
DH:  I can't get on the internet with son's old laptop.
Me:  Huh
DH:  Can I use your iPad?
Me:  Sure
A few days later
DH:  I still can't get the old laptop onto the internet.
Me:  My iPad is over there if you want it.
Couple days later
DH:  Did you look at the old laptop
Me:  No, why?
DH:  I told you it can't get on the internet anymore.
Me:  Did you try reinstalling the browser? .... as I walk away
Today me walking into DH office
Me:  What are you doing?
DH:  Checking to see if I can use Flamingvixen on the old laptop.  Yep, that works.
Trots off to go work out     

Elisabunny

« Reply #18142 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

OlderSon's college degree is going to be in some combination of engineering and computers.  He's already looking at various versions of the "No, I Will Not Fix Your Computer" t-shirt.  >:D

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

BarensMom

« Reply #18143 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »

OlderSon's college degree is going to be in some combination of engineering and computers.  He's already looking at various versions of the "No, I Will Not Fix Your Computer" t-shirt.  >:D

Pre-Network, I was a computer support person for my company.  Sister (from the "Middle" thread) would call me at all hours to ask me stupid PC questions, usually involving her not bothering to check plugs or read the manuals before calling.  She (and others) wanting free PC advice was the main reason I burnt out and changed jobs.  Now she pesters her son with the same sort of stupid questions.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18144 on: November 27, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

I saw a story on the news this morning where an elderly woman confused the gas for the brake and drove right through the front windows of a store...narrowly missing the owner's 16month old son who walked right in front of the door seconds before she plowed through it. Miraculously, the toddler is fine, as is the woman, but she will lose her license and her car.

I hate the idea of losing my freedom when I'm older but I would hate to have the death of another living being on my conscience even more.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #18145 on: November 27, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

I saw a story on the news this morning where an elderly woman confused the gas for the brake and drove right through the front windows of a store...narrowly missing the owner's 16month old son who walked right in front of the door seconds before she plowed through it. Miraculously, the toddler is fine, as is the woman, but she will lose her license and her car.

I hate the idea of losing my freedom when I'm older but I would hate to have the death of another living being on my conscience even more.
It happens all the time.  My parents, residents in Florida for 20 years, said about once a week in their area, more often by the car jumping the curb because the driver has it in 'drive' instead of 'reverse'. It doesn't back up, so the driver mashes harder on the accelerator instead of checking to see what gear the car is actually in. 

I was terrified that one of my own elderly parents would kill someone before they stopped driving, but Florida apparently issues renewal licenses to anyone who still has a pulse.  I think after a certain age (70 sounds good to me) one should have to pass an on-the-road driving test to renew.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18146 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »

We had to disable my great-grandmothers car when she was in her late 80's. It sat in her garage, and she could see it, but it wouldn't start. Where I live in Florida, we have very few ways of removing drivers once they can no longer safely drive. At least once a week, an elderly driver is found in a body of water or lost in the woods, weeks after they left home.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #18147 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

I want a t-shirt that says "I will fix your computer while you clean house, do the laundry, and cook dinner."

Because fixing a computer is more fun than housework.......really, at least, I think so!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18148 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »

I want a t-shirt that says "I will fix your computer while you clean house, do the laundry, and cook dinner."

Because fixing a computer is more fun than housework.......really, at least, I think so!

I'll do the laundry and cook dinner but I'm not cleaning - I hate it, too.   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bluenomi

« Reply #18149 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

It happens all the time.  My parents, residents in Florida for 20 years, said about once a week in their area, more often by the car jumping the curb because the driver has it in 'drive' instead of 'reverse'. It doesn't back up, so the driver mashes harder on the accelerator instead of checking to see what gear the car is actually in. 

I was terrified that one of my own elderly parents would kill someone before they stopped driving, but Florida apparently issues renewal licenses to anyone who still has a pulse.  I think after a certain age (70 sounds good to me) one should have to pass an on-the-road driving test to renew.

There was a recent case here where a person I know well from a fourm was hit by an elderly person who got his feet muddled when driving. She was 36 weeks pregnant and both she and the baby died. Her 2 year old daugher and 3 year old niece were almost hit but her husband managed to grab them and get the out of the road just in time. The driver was fine but I hate to think about the mental scars he'd having after doing that