News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 04, 2015, 07:08:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6550019 times)

Elisabunny

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18135 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
Being in the IT field means that you're the first port of call whenever anyone you know has computer problems... Even if its the opposite kind of the computer to the sort you've used, and even if they're 4 hours drive away. Oh, but you can't ask them to push certain button combinations or click on certain places and then read out what the screen says, that's too hard.  ::)

I so know the feeling GRRRRRR

OlderSon's college degree is going to be in some combination of engineering and computers.  He's already looking at various versions of the "No, I Will Not Fix Your Computer" t-shirt.  >:D

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

BarensMom

« Reply #18136 on: November 27, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Being in the IT field means that you're the first port of call whenever anyone you know has computer problems... Even if its the opposite kind of the computer to the sort you've used, and even if they're 4 hours drive away. Oh, but you can't ask them to push certain button combinations or click on certain places and then read out what the screen says, that's too hard.  ::)

OlderSon's college degree is going to be in some combination of engineering and computers.  He's already looking at various versions of the "No, I Will Not Fix Your Computer" t-shirt.  >:D

Pre-Network, I was a computer support person for my company.  Sister (from the "Middle" thread) would call me at all hours to ask me stupid PC questions, usually involving her not bothering to check plugs or read the manuals before calling.  She (and others) wanting free PC advice was the main reason I burnt out and changed jobs.  Now she pesters her son with the same sort of stupid questions.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18137 on: November 27, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

I saw a story on the news this morning where an elderly woman confused the gas for the brake and drove right through the front windows of a store...narrowly missing the owner's 16month old son who walked right in front of the door seconds before she plowed through it. Miraculously, the toddler is fine, as is the woman, but she will lose her license and her car.

I hate the idea of losing my freedom when I'm older but I would hate to have the death of another living being on my conscience even more.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18138 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »
She has a neurological condition that causes her heart rate to spike and her blood pressure to drop (yeah, I don't get it either) any time she physically exerts herself or gets excited.  This means that even standing up out of a chair can cause her to pass out.

I'm not a doctor (and I don't even play one on TV), but if you look at it the other way (her blood pressure drops, and then her heart rate speeds up to try to compensate but it doesn't work it kind of makes sense.

It does make sense. Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. When your blood pressure drops the heart has to work harder to keep blood circulating to appropriately perfuse your tissues and it can only do this in so many ways, the easier being speeding up.

I know it's terrifying to lose independence like that, but driving like that might just be itching for a Darwin Award.

I saw a story on the news this morning where an elderly woman confused the gas for the brake and drove right through the front windows of a store...narrowly missing the owner's 16month old son who walked right in front of the door seconds before she plowed through it. Miraculously, the toddler is fine, as is the woman, but she will lose her license and her car.

I hate the idea of losing my freedom when I'm older but I would hate to have the death of another living being on my conscience even more.
It happens all the time.  My parents, residents in Florida for 20 years, said about once a week in their area, more often by the car jumping the curb because the driver has it in 'drive' instead of 'reverse'. It doesn't back up, so the driver mashes harder on the accelerator instead of checking to see what gear the car is actually in. 

I was terrified that one of my own elderly parents would kill someone before they stopped driving, but Florida apparently issues renewal licenses to anyone who still has a pulse.  I think after a certain age (70 sounds good to me) one should have to pass an on-the-road driving test to renew.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18139 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »

We had to disable my great-grandmothers car when she was in her late 80's. It sat in her garage, and she could see it, but it wouldn't start. Where I live in Florida, we have very few ways of removing drivers once they can no longer safely drive. At least once a week, an elderly driver is found in a body of water or lost in the woods, weeks after they left home.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #18140 on: November 27, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

I want a t-shirt that says "I will fix your computer while you clean house, do the laundry, and cook dinner."

Because fixing a computer is more fun than housework.......really, at least, I think so!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18141 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »

I want a t-shirt that says "I will fix your computer while you clean house, do the laundry, and cook dinner."

Because fixing a computer is more fun than housework.......really, at least, I think so!

I'll do the laundry and cook dinner but I'm not cleaning - I hate it, too.   :D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bluenomi

« Reply #18142 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

It happens all the time.  My parents, residents in Florida for 20 years, said about once a week in their area, more often by the car jumping the curb because the driver has it in 'drive' instead of 'reverse'. It doesn't back up, so the driver mashes harder on the accelerator instead of checking to see what gear the car is actually in. 

I was terrified that one of my own elderly parents would kill someone before they stopped driving, but Florida apparently issues renewal licenses to anyone who still has a pulse.  I think after a certain age (70 sounds good to me) one should have to pass an on-the-road driving test to renew.

There was a recent case here where a person I know well from a fourm was hit by an elderly person who got his feet muddled when driving. She was 36 weeks pregnant and both she and the baby died. Her 2 year old daugher and 3 year old niece were almost hit but her husband managed to grab them and get the out of the road just in time. The driver was fine but I hate to think about the mental scars he'd having after doing that

greencat

« Reply #18143 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

There was a recent case here where a person I know well from a fourm was hit by an elderly person who got his feet muddled when driving. She was 36 weeks pregnant and both she and the baby died. Her 2 year old daugher and 3 year old niece were almost hit but her husband managed to grab them and get the out of the road just in time. The driver was fine but I hate to think about the mental scars he'd having after doing that

My Dad non-tragically hit a kid with his car when he was younger...he still seems rather traumatized by it and it must have been 35 or 40 years ago now - and I don't think the kid was even injured beyond a little road rash.

Unfortunately, attempts to lobby for an age cut off where drivers must start being evaluated more regularly (right now, you only have to physically visit Florida's DMVs every 10 years!) has met with a great deal of political opposition.  It's almost impossible to have someone medically restricted unless they have seizures or are prone to passing out.

nuit93

« Reply #18144 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

My Dad non-tragically hit a kid with his car when he was younger...he still seems rather traumatized by it and it must have been 35 or 40 years ago now - and I don't think the kid was even injured beyond a little road rash.

Unfortunately, attempts to lobby for an age cut off where drivers must start being evaluated more regularly (right now, you only have to physically visit Florida's DMVs every 10 years!) has met with a great deal of political opposition.  It's almost impossible to have someone medically restricted unless they have seizures or are prone to passing out.

I can understand that--no one wants to give up their freedom.  I still remember how bitter my grandfather was when he had his license taken away at 88.

Jocelyn

« Reply #18145 on: November 27, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
A few years back, my father backed out of his garage and sideswiped my car- he just forgot my car was there, and did everything as he normally did. My mother started in saying that he shouldn't be driving any longer, but I thought it was the sort of mistake any of us could have made...it was a very tight driveway, and another inch over and he'd've been fine. Fortunately, though, he sold his car a year or so later.

As for the employee discount- back in the 1950s, my father worked for a packing house that also manufactured sporting goods (think of Cast Away's volleyball). The employees were allowed to buy all they wanted of the company's goods, for the use of their family, at big discounts. The policy was rescinded after sales dropped dramatically in a particular neighborhood, and the company discovered that several employees who lived there were purchasing enough meat to feed dozens, and enough sporting goods to equip several ball teams. They were buying wholesale and selling to their neighbors at a discount, and doing enough business that the neighborhood stores were hurting.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18146 on: November 27, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
My father is an ophthalmologist, and he says the parking lot at his office is probably the least safe place in town because the DMV never tells elderly drivers they failed the vision test.  Instead, the DMV sends them to the eye doctor for some nebulously defined reason, letting the patients believe they just need some paperwork filled out, and then the doctors have to be the ones to break the news that the elderly patients can no longer see well enough to drive safely.  They often drove themselves to the office, though, so then you have angry and visually impaired senior citizens driving home.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #18147 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
Drivers like this are the reason that Inever walk close to a parked car with a person behind the wheel, and refuse to walk between a wall and parked cars. Too many Darwin awards have been won this way.

KB

« Reply #18148 on: November 28, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »
It would make sense if we ALL had our driving regularly reassessed. Say, for instance, the first few years you get your license, you have to sit a practical exam every twelve months. Then at five years. Then ten. Keep it at ten years until a defined age (say 60) then reduce it to five years again, then to every year. People get into bad habits that a system like this would help to reduce, and it would be a lot harder to accuse the system of targeting one group or another if both ends of the age spectrum were scrutinised in the same way. .

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #18149 on: November 28, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
I seem to choose times/locations where many elderly people shop. I'm always extremely cautious, but have dodged a number of accidents (in parking lots!) due to elderly drivers not knowing/realizing they need to check their mirrors and over their shoulders, so just back out whenever. I have a tiny car, so it's particularly horrifying, especially after I've double-checked my own mirrors before backing out.

I agree, KB. Everyone should get tested after a certain number of years. It really irks me when I see people not signaling or using turn lanes--I failed my driver's test the first time because I didn't use a turn lane (it was a center lane and I couldn't see the lines because it had snowed) so that especially has really stuck with me!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!