Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5528124 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18150 on: November 28, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
My father is an ophthalmologist, and he says the parking lot at his office is probably the least safe place in town because the DMV never tells elderly drivers they failed the vision test.  Instead, the DMV sends them to the eye doctor for some nebulously defined reason, letting the patients believe they just need some paperwork filled out, and then the doctors have to be the ones to break the news that the elderly patients can no longer see well enough to drive safely.  They often drove themselves to the office, though, so then you have angry and visually impaired senior citizens driving home.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #18151 on: November 28, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
Drivers like this are the reason that Inever walk close to a parked car with a person behind the wheel, and refuse to walk between a wall and parked cars. Too many Darwin awards have been won this way.

KB

« Reply #18152 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:04 AM »
It would make sense if we ALL had our driving regularly reassessed. Say, for instance, the first few years you get your license, you have to sit a practical exam every twelve months. Then at five years. Then ten. Keep it at ten years until a defined age (say 60) then reduce it to five years again, then to every year. People get into bad habits that a system like this would help to reduce, and it would be a lot harder to accuse the system of targeting one group or another if both ends of the age spectrum were scrutinised in the same way. .

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #18153 on: November 28, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
I seem to choose times/locations where many elderly people shop. I'm always extremely cautious, but have dodged a number of accidents (in parking lots!) due to elderly drivers not knowing/realizing they need to check their mirrors and over their shoulders, so just back out whenever. I have a tiny car, so it's particularly horrifying, especially after I've double-checked my own mirrors before backing out.

I agree, KB. Everyone should get tested after a certain number of years. It really irks me when I see people not signaling or using turn lanes--I failed my driver's test the first time because I didn't use a turn lane (it was a center lane and I couldn't see the lines because it had snowed) so that especially has really stuck with me!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18154 on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »
It would make sense if we ALL had our driving regularly reassessed. Say, for instance, the first few years you get your license, you have to sit a practical exam every twelve months. Then at five years. Then ten. Keep it at ten years until a defined age (say 60) then reduce it to five years again, then to every year. People get into bad habits that a system like this would help to reduce, and it would be a lot harder to accuse the system of targeting one group or another if both ends of the age spectrum were scrutinised in the same way. .

I wholeheartedly agree.  The number of people in my city who do not know what a yield sign means is appalling.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18155 on: November 28, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »
There was a recent case here where a person I know well from a fourm was hit by an elderly person who got his feet muddled when driving. She was 36 weeks pregnant and both she and the baby died. Her 2 year old daugher and 3 year old niece were almost hit but her husband managed to grab them and get the out of the road just in time. The driver was fine but I hate to think about the mental scars he'd having after doing that

A co-worker of mine's elderly father confused the gas and the brake while backing up and ended up running over a small child. It was one of those multiple people at fault situations. The parents were letting their small child run loose in the parking lot, the kid ran behind the car,  the elderly driver saw the kid, went to slam on the brakes, and hit the gas instead. The child did not survive.

Hillia

« Reply #18156 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »
Years ago, a friend of mine was hit in a parking lot by an elderly man who just didn't look.  Her car was totaled and she had neck/back problems for years.  Turns out the elderly driver was out on a pass from his retirement home, and the staff there were quite angry at my friend for calling the police and going through the insurance - she ruined his 95th birthday!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18157 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
Years ago, a friend of mine was hit in a parking lot by an elderly man who just didn't look.  Her car was totaled and she had neck/back problems for years.  Turns out the elderly driver was out on a pass from his retirement home, and the staff there were quite angry at my friend for calling the police and going through the insurance - she ruined his 95th birthday!

Oh well!  Birthdays are irrelevant when the birthday boy/girl hits someone with their car!  :o

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18158 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »
I was a pedestrian on a fairly narrow pavement a few years ago (so nowhere else to go) and someone opened a car door into me!  Don't people look?!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18159 on: November 28, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »
Drivers do all sorts of idiot things.  I was taking DD back to her apartment one time, and saw an open parking slot. Because I knew that there was a handicapped spot in the complex I paused for a moment to make sure that the spot I was about to turn into was not that one.

And as I started to turn into it, a car zipped up on my right, between me and the parked cars, and crashed into my right front fender.  His defense?  "I thought you had stopped."  ??? Because if I had stopped to just let her out rather than park, he would have taken off the passenger door at the very least, and possibly killed/injured DD.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #18160 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
I can’t remember if I posted this one or not. I was at lunch with a bunch of co-workers one day and this car kept hitting the front bumper of the car behind him and the rear bumper of the car in front of him as he was trying to parallel park into a space in front of the restaurant. One of the car owners  came running out to his car and yelled that the driver was hitting the two cars repeatedly. The SS driver’s response “I know, there is not enough room for me to park without hitting them”.  “I know, there was not enough room” became a common thread of jokes in the office after that.

Same job, almost the exact same location just in front of our office instead of the resturant next door, different SS driver. One of my co-workers was riding his motorcycle into work. He was suddenly catapulted off his bike and along the pavement under the cars stopped at the stoplight. The reason? A SS driver suddenly opened his door into oncoming traffic and knocked CW off. Thank all that is holy that the driver of the car that he ended up under realized that something had happened and stayed stopped, if he had driven off when the light turned green, CW would have been killed. SS driver was really mad when he got arrested for the accident and made to pay for all the damage to CW bike and his medical bills.

SS driver tried to sue CW for the damage to his car but it was laughed out of court. CW hung his helmet and ripped up bike leathers up in his office as a reminder on how precious life is and how easy it could have all changed at no fault of his.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #18161 on: November 28, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
These car stories remind me of one my former roommate shared with me.

Where we lived, it was all apartment buildings and parallel parking on the street.  And like most streets, it was first come, first serve.  There was nothing even slightly resembling reserved parking.

One day, she parked her car, got out and was getting things out of her trunk.  Suddenly, a man pulled up next to her and got out of his car.  Then, while he was screaming obscenities at her, he slammed the trunk closed.  She very narrowly missed having her hand caught in the lid.

Her crime?  She took HIS parking spot.  He had been driving around, spotted it but had to turn around to come back in the right direction, due to the one way street configuration.  And my roommate was supposed to magically know this.

I don't remember the outcome but I do know she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and I'm pretty sure she gave him a pretty good chunk of it.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #18162 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
Same job, almost the exact same location just in front of our office instead of the resturant next door, different SS driver. One of my co-workers was riding his motorcycle into work. He was suddenly catapulted off his bike and along the pavement under the cars stopped at the stoplight. The reason? A SS driver suddenly opened his door into oncoming traffic and knocked CW off. Thank all that is holy that the driver of the car that he ended up under realized that something had happened and stayed stopped, if he had driven off when the light turned green, CW would have been killed. SS driver was really mad when he got arrested for the accident and made to pay for all the damage to CW bike and his medical bills.

SS driver tried to sue CW for the damage to his car but it was laughed out of court. CW hung his helmet and ripped up bike leathers up in his office as a reminder on how precious life is and how easy it could have all changed at no fault of his.

This is a not uncommon way for cyclists to get injured as well. That's why I make a point of always opening car doors with the opposite hand: it forces me to turn and look over my shoulder as I open the door.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #18163 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
With referenced to the elderly drivers, when I was a teen, one of the elderly sisters that lived up the road from us managed to mistake the accelerator (gas) for the brake, and ploughed through the garage door.  The entire garage had to be re-built, and she was stopped from driving.  Luckily she wasn't badly hurt, but she was the only person in that house who was still driving at the time, so other neighbours had to rally round to make sure the sisters could run errands/gets to appointments etc.

And here in the UK, there is at least a requirement that at the age of 70 onwards, a driver must retake their test every year to ensure they're still capable.  Sometimes I think retests should be required every 5 or ten years, because the number of bad habits my DH has picked up after 12 years driving is ridiculus!  As a non-driver, I frequently thank the Heavens that I'm a pedestrian and can dodge down alleys/footpaths away from cars!!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18164 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
I can’t remember if I posted this one or not. I was at lunch with a bunch of co-workers one day and this car kept hitting the front bumper of the car behind him and the rear bumper of the car in front of him as he was trying to parallel park into a space in front of the restaurant. One of the car owners  came running out to his car and yelled that the driver was hitting the two cars repeatedly. The SS driver’s response “I know, there is not enough room for me to park without hitting them”.  “I know, there was not enough room” became a common thread of jokes in the office after that.

In my area, we have had three motorcyclists killed in the last week due to the other driver's cutting into their paths.