Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4395597 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18180 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
I'm listening to a favorite series of books, and not enjoying the narrator.  I posted on the Amazon discussion boards for that author and asked if anyone else didn't like the narrator, and listed my reasons why I didn't (which include her pausing at really odd times, and not pronouncing Mackinac right, despite half a book being set there).

Most of the others said that they liked her, but one listener told me that if I didn't like the books, to read them instead, and that I shouldn't complain about them at all.  Just go read them.   ::)  Despite me explaining that I like to listen to something I've read (multiple times) and don't have to have my full attention on.

Mispronunciation and strange emphasis drives me up one wall and down the other.  A priest at a church I used to attend liked to trot out his knowledge of literature and use it to illustrate a point about scripture.  I sat through a sermon grinding my teeth while he incorrectly used Kafka's "Metamorphosis" to illustrate a point...but more to the point, I ground my teeth because he kept referring to Gregor Samsa as "George" in what had to be the most curious blend of New York and Boston accents.  "Jahje" is turned into a giant cockroach because he isn't happy enough.

Of course, there was also the famous parable about the man set upon by thieves and tossed into a ditch who was ignored by all those of his religion, but was saved by the Good SammerAhtin....(at which point I ran screaming from the church in horror...no, just kidding....but had I known of their existence back then, I think I would have allowed the Weeping Angels to touch me....)

Years ago I was watching a program on a public TV station that had to do with astronomy, and an astronomer from the University of Georgia was interviewed.  This gentleman spoke with the most interesting combination of British/Georgia Southern accent I think I've ever heard.

greencat

« Reply #18181 on: November 28, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
I'm listening to a favorite series of books, and not enjoying the narrator.  I posted on the Amazon discussion boards for that author and asked if anyone else didn't like the narrator, and listed my reasons why I didn't (which include her pausing at really odd times, and not pronouncing Mackinac right, despite half a book being set there).

Most of the others said that they liked her, but one listener told me that if I didn't like the books, to read them instead, and that I shouldn't complain about them at all.  Just go read them.   ::)  Despite me explaining that I like to listen to something I've read (multiple times) and don't have to have my full attention on.

Mispronunciation and strange emphasis drives me up one wall and down the other.  A priest at a church I used to attend liked to trot out his knowledge of literature and use it to illustrate a point about scripture.  I sat through a sermon grinding my teeth while he incorrectly used Kafka's "Metamorphosis" to illustrate a point...but more to the point, I ground my teeth because he kept referring to Gregor Samsa as "George" in what had to be the most curious blend of New York and Boston accents.  "Jahje" is turned into a giant cockroach because he isn't happy enough.

Of course, there was also the famous parable about the man set upon by thieves and tossed into a ditch who was ignored by all those of his religion, but was saved by the Good SammerAhtin....(at which point I ran screaming from the church in horror...no, just kidding....but had I known of their existence back then, I think I would have allowed the Weeping Angels to touch me....)

Years ago I was watching a program on a public TV station that had to do with astronomy, and an astronomer from the University of Georgia was interviewed.  This gentleman spoke with the most interesting combination of British/Georgia Southern accent I think I've ever heard.

Just as a point of interest, much of the traditional Southern accent actually originates from the aristocratic English accents of the plantation owners.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #18182 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
Another time, someone who was parked in front of me outside a school backed right into me, despite my frantic honking.  His reason?  "I didn't see you."  Yeah, you didn't even look, didja buddy?

I had this happen one morning while waiting in a drive through.  There was a long line that I was firmly in the middle off, and a man came out and hopped into his car to my left, then promptly tried to back into me.  My honking didn't get his attention- he didn't notice me until the car behind me started honking at him as well.

The extra special snowflake portion of this is that when he put his car into park and got out of the car, he didn't come over to apologize to me....he came over to scream at me for "appearing out of nowhere" (hah) and to inform me that I was a <badword> for not backing up and getting out of his way immediately.  When I pointed out that the line hadn't moved since before he came out of the store, and there were numerous cars behind me, so I couldn't have backed up if I wanted to, he called me another name and got back into his car.  He then spent the next 10 minutes revving his engine at me and flipping me off until the line moved.

Granted, the parking lot of this place is teeny, and if you park on the sides of the store you really have to be able to maneuver your car in and out of tight spots due to the drive through.  I get that- I think it's really poor design on the store's part- but screaming and raging at another customer is bad form.  He also had room to pull out- he just needed to back out of the spot while turning, not back straight out and then turn.

I got to witness a 'questionable backing' incident, although I'm not sure if it was special snowflakeness, or plain old DUH that was the instigator. Near my work, there are two traffic lights fairly close together. I went through the first light and got into the left turn bay at the second. The light behind me turned red, and the traffic started to back up in the opposing lane. Mr. DUH pulled through my intersection, completely blocking my left turn, and stopped there to wait out the backup. Ok, no problem, I can wait until the light changes to let him out of my way. But then, he must have either noticed me, or the other cars that couldn't get through the intersection because of where he'd stopped. He put his car into *reverse* and started backing up through the intersection...right toward the driver behind him who had had the sense to stop at the stop bar!

Cue massive horn blast from the sensible driver trying to protect his car. Mr. DUH stopped with a yard to spare, just as the cars in front started moving again. Seriously though, why on earth would you throw the car in reverse when surrounded by other stopped vehicles?
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18183 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
My grandmother lost her license not so much for bad driving, but because her Alzheimer's led her to getting lost.  One morning she walked to mass at a church within walking distance of the home she lived in (Assisted living) but when she came out she panicked cause she couldn't remember where she parked her car.  Another time she drove and then parked at a diner and went in to call my aunt cause she didn't know where she was.

She didn't like losing her freedom, but she accepted it.

I found out somewhat recently that when DH was little, his grandmother would make him steer the car while she looked for something in her purse.  :o There had to have been an angel watching over them, and I imagine MIL was none too happy with her mother when she found that out.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #18184 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.
What color is it? I knew of someone who had an accident-magnet car; the color sort of blended with the pavement so that it was hard for other drivers to see it. She started driving with headlights on all the time, and the number of close calls dropped dramatically.

AnnaT

« Reply #18185 on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
My grandmother lost her license not so much for bad driving, but because her Alzheimer's led her to getting lost.  One morning she walked to mass at a church within walking distance of the home she lived in (Assisted living) but when she came out she panicked cause she couldn't remember where she parked her car.  Another time she drove and then parked at a diner and went in to call my aunt cause she didn't know where she was.

She didn't like losing her freedom, but she accepted it.

I found out somewhat recently that when DH was little, his grandmother would make him steer the car while she looked for something in her purse.  :o There had to have been an angel watching over them, and I imagine MIL was none too happy with her mother when she found that out.

Mum frequently called the police and reported her car stolen in the earlier stages of her Alzheimer's - hard to deal with when you're in another country.  We actually used to have the police (in NZ) call us (in Australia) whenever Mum called so we could get it sorted.  :-\

norrina

« Reply #18186 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
The parking stories reminded me of an incident DF and I had recently.

Background: There is an area of downtown where the street parking is either metered, residential, or free. There is also a parking garage, which charges $1/half-hour, compared to $1.50/hour at the meters. The free parking is next to a little greenspace. One of downtown's two main streets runs N/S, with the greenspace to its east. The greenspace is narrow where it intersects with the Main Street, but long. A one-way street runs down each of the long sides, connecting the main street to a residential street at the other end. The streets to either side of the park are residential parking on one side, free parking on the other. The residential street perpendicular to the park is half a block of residential, half a block of free, then half a block of residential again. The house on the corner lot catty corner to the park has been preserved as a museum. There is a section of free parking directly in front of the museum; I believe parking on the other road it fronts is residential.

Every so often, I have noticed that there have been orange cones in the parking spaces directly in front of the museum. I mentioned it to a friend of mine, and she told me that they were put there by the museum to reserve the spaces for their employees, and that she had been chastised by the museum for parking there before and had finally asked the city parking division about it. The parking division confirmed that they do not recognize orange cones as creating a No Parking area, and that the museum had been informed that they were welcome to file the necessary paperwork and pay the requisite fee to have the city install official signs reserving the spaces for their private use.

So, with all that background in place, on to the excitement. DF and I drove downtown to take care of some business, and found that all the parking on the streets paralleling the greenspace was taken, but 2 or 3 spaces in front of the museum were open. One orange cone had been set out, but there was plenty of space to park in front of the cone, which we did (leaving one space behind us, and 2 or 3 in front). Just as DF set the emergency brake, a car coming the opposite way on that street came to a screeching stop, blocking traffic, and a man jumped out and told us we couldn't park there. I responded mildly that we were in a valid public parking spot, whereupon his passenger jumped out to inform us that they had just left for a moment to get more cones. I reiterated that we were in a valid public parking spot, and they regaled us with the history of the museum. I reiterated that we were in a valid public parking space, and they launched into the tale of how they (allegedly) petitioned the city for that area to be non-residential, for the good of the museum, and the history of the museum was... I finally reiterated one last time that we were in a valid public parking space, and that if they felt otherwise they were welcome to call parking enforcement, but we would be on our way now. And we locked the doors and left, with them still hollering after us about the history of the museum, and their stopped car in the southbound lane and them in the northbound still completely stopping traffic.

mmswm

« Reply #18187 on: November 29, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
I just remembered another SS driver story.  When I owned my own home, I fostered cats and kittens.  I had a litter of "bottle babies" and one of them had become very sick.  I put him in my car and proceeded to drive to the vet.  To get there, I had to get on the highway.  It was a rainy morning and visibility was quite bad. I had to stop for the light, and when the turn light turned green, I started to make the left turn I needed to make. About halfway into the turn, I realized there was some debris in the middle of the road and my little Civic would not be able to drive over it.  Now, my car is a stick shift, and first gear is really, really short.  I shift out of it before I hit 10mph.  I wasn't  anywhere close to ready to shift to second gear. I couldn't do much as far as manuvering was concerned, so I slowed even further in an attempt to have enough space to get around the debris (it was a fairly large log...possibly a truck carrying cut logs had lost one).  Anyway, the driver behind me slammed into me at that point, pushing me into the debris. I managed to get my car around the debris and out of the way.  She comes up to me screaming at me for being such a horrible driver and so on and so forth.  She called the cops, and I said that was fine (by this time, I was really upset about the kitten, but what could I do?).  Anyway, she got back into her SUV and got back onto the phone.  I'm not sure who she was talking to, but she suddenly turned her engine back on and took off, squealing tires and all. My guess is that whomever she was talking to informed her that she is the one who rear-ended me, and in the state we were in, it would be considered her fault, not mine.  I called the cops, explained what happened and did what they told me to do from there.  The kitten did not make it, but unfortunately, that is all to common with orphaned newborns.

BarensMom

« Reply #18188 on: November 29, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »
I just remembered another SS driver story.  When I owned my own home, I fostered cats and kittens.  I had a litter of "bottle babies" and one of them had become very sick.  I put him in my car and proceeded to drive to the vet.  To get there, I had to get on the highway.  It was a rainy morning and visibility was quite bad. I had to stop for the light, and when the turn light turned green, I started to make the left turn I needed to make. About halfway into the turn, I realized there was some debris in the middle of the road and my little Civic would not be able to drive over it.  Now, my car is a stick shift, and first gear is really, really short.  I shift out of it before I hit 10mph.  I wasn't  anywhere close to ready to shift to second gear. I couldn't do much as far as manuvering was concerned, so I slowed even further in an attempt to have enough space to get around the debris (it was a fairly large log...possibly a truck carrying cut logs had lost one).  Anyway, the driver behind me slammed into me at that point, pushing me into the debris. I managed to get my car around the debris and out of the way.  She comes up to me screaming at me for being such a horrible driver and so on and so forth.  She called the cops, and I said that was fine (by this time, I was really upset about the kitten, but what could I do?).  Anyway, she got back into her SUV and got back onto the phone.  I'm not sure who she was talking to, but she suddenly turned her engine back on and took off, squealing tires and all. My guess is that whomever she was talking to informed her that she is the one who rear-ended me, and in the state we were in, it would be considered her fault, not mine.  I called the cops, explained what happened and did what they told me to do from there.  The kitten did not make it, but unfortunately, that is all to common with orphaned newborns.

I'm sorry about the poor kitty.

What that woman did by leaving the scene of the accident was a criminal offense.  Did the cops do anything about that?

eltf177

« Reply #18189 on: November 29, 2012, 06:40:40 AM »

What that woman did by leaving the scene of the accident was a criminal offense.  Did the cops do anything about that?

Agreed, we need closure on this!

o_gal

« Reply #18190 on: November 29, 2012, 08:19:51 AM »
We've often joked that our little Toyota Echo is an accident magnet.  We've had at least five accidents since we bought it in 2006, and none of them have been our fault.
What color is it? I knew of someone who had an accident-magnet car; the color sort of blended with the pavement so that it was hard for other drivers to see it. She started driving with headlights on all the time, and the number of close calls dropped dramatically.

Is it Moonshadow Metallic? That's the color of my 2004 Toyota Corolla - kind of a dark grey. Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

Ginger G

« Reply #18191 on: November 29, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

I have to respectfully disagree, my Mustang is dark gray, I've had it 11 years and have never been struck by another driver.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18192 on: November 29, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

I have to respectfully disagree, my Mustang is dark gray, I've had it 11 years and have never been struck by another driver.

Argh!  Don't tempt fate!

HorseFreak

« Reply #18193 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »

Is it Moonshadow Metallic? That's the color of my 2004 Toyota Corolla - kind of a dark grey. Never buy a car the color of the road; I've been rear-ended 5 times.

There was a study done on daylight headlight use and the impressive reduction in accident rate. My car's taillights also come on with the headlight so I always use them when driving my graphite colored car. No accidents in 10 years *knocks on wood.*

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.aspx

mmswm

« Reply #18194 on: November 29, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

Agreed, we need closure on this!

I didn't want to stray too far into legal territory, which is why I left it as "followed the instructions the police gave me".  Yes, she was ticketed for several offenses, including rear-ending me and the hit and run.