Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4404328 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18225 on: December 01, 2012, 06:10:03 PM »
I know this type of thing has come up in this thread already, but I just encountered it at the grocery store:

If you're going to get into a loud argument on your cellphone while in the grocery store, stop your shopping and go elsewhere and finish it.  The rest of us don't want to hear all your angst.  At least this woman wasn't cursing, like some I've heard, but really.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #18226 on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »
This could go here or in the "Drive you crazy" thread, but I'm still irritated so I'm going with SS.

I sing in a community chorus of 80 people with 8 voice sections: 1st and 2nd sopranos, 1st and 2nd altos, etc. Tonight was our first concert and somehow every single 1st soprano but me called in sick. During warm ups our director announced that I would be miked since I would be singing my parts alone. One of the 2nd sopranos offered to step in and help but the director reassured her that I knew my parts and would be fine.

Except when it came to my first descant line that I was really looking forward to singing, she started singing it along with me, off key and off rhythm. The second time several people hushed her and afterwards I saw the director talking to her. I don't know if she really wanted to help or just wanted part of the spotlight, but she made things worse, not better.

NyaChan

« Reply #18227 on: December 02, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
This could go here or in the "Drive you crazy" thread, but I'm still irritated so I'm going with SS.

I sing in a community chorus of 80 people with 8 voice sections: 1st and 2nd sopranos, 1st and 2nd altos, etc. Tonight was our first concert and somehow every single 1st soprano but me called in sick. During warm ups our director announced that I would be miked since I would be singing my parts alone. One of the 2nd sopranos offered to step in and help but the director reassured her that I knew my parts and would be fine.

Except when it came to my first descant line that I was really looking forward to singing, she started singing it along with me, off key and off rhythm. The second time several people hushed her and afterwards I saw the director talking to her. I don't know if she really wanted to help or just wanted part of the spotlight, but she made things worse, not better.

Ah yes, the second soprano with aspirations for loftier places.  I was in the second soprano group when I sang and there was always a lot of girls convinced that they should have have been or could have been firsts. Some were still good in the second in terms of holding their notes in opposition to the firsts and just complained verbally, but others "had trouble" and would stray onto the firsts' part leaving the rest of us to pick up their slack.  Just got them scolded, not moved (the ones that actually could hit those notes were actually good enough to understand that there is skill and value in singing second) so I'm not sure why they'd persist in trying.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18228 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »
I can't decide if this person was a SS or within her rights as a customer  The day before Thanksgiving I ran into a small specialty supermarket.  They had all their checkout lines open and all but one were being used for ringing up big orders.  I had 2 items so got in line in the single express checkout line behind a women with 3 or 4 items.  Once she was rung up, she then got her wallet out, and took out a gift card, (prepaid Mastercard type thing) asked the cashier if she should use it like a credit card.  They tried it that way, it wouldn't go through, so she then tried it as a debit twice using 2 different pins.  There's now  3 people behind me. 

Customer says I have cash, but let me try this other card, so gets her wallet back out, pulls out a different gift card, and goes through the same process again.  During this time the customer does acknowledge she is holding me up and says to me she gets a lot of these cards from her clients but always has a hard time using them but since she has some time on her lunch hour she thought she would give them a go.  And reaches for a third card in her wallet.  At this point the floor manager comes over and says she'll take customer over to customer service to see if they can complete her order there since the express line now has 7 or 8 people in line.  After holding up the express line for 10 minutes, Customer says, oh I don't have time for that, here is cash to pay for my transaction. 

Though I thought the floor manager and cashier were going to brain her for a minute, they said ok and them gave each of us in line piece of chocolate to thank us for our patience. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18229 on: December 02, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
Waiting in line would be far less irritating if you knew you'd be rewarded afterward with chocolate!!  It would almost be worth the momentary frustration!  Maybe I'd even get behind someone like that on purpose.  But sadly here we never get chocolate as a reward for our patience.   :(

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18230 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
Waiting in line would be far less irritating if you knew you'd be rewarded afterward with chocolate!!  It would almost be worth the momentary frustration!  Maybe I'd even get behind someone like that on purpose.  But sadly here we never get chocolate as a reward for our patience.   :(

Right? It's like the Big Bang episode where Penny gets retrained with chocolate.  The world would be a lot more polite if chocolate was a possibility.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18231 on: December 02, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this first one qualifies as SS or road rage, but I had someone riding my bumper most of the way home.  On that particular road, there was nowhere I could pull over to let him pass, and the opposing traffic was too busy for him to make an illegal cut.  He was driving almost up against my bumper, occasionally honking his horn, and I could see him making wild gestures and cussing me out.  Yeah, I do the speed limit.  I'm not getting a speeding ticket.

This next story is hard to define, too.  I'm not sure if I was almost a SS, or if this "lady" was the SS, but it involved a parking space.  I didn't see this woman until I started to pull into the space and heard someone honking at me.  I'm still not sure if she was waiting first, or if she just wanted to park there.  Anyway, I gave up the space and mouthed "sorry", and what does she do?  Gives me the Death Glare and shakes her head at me.  Half of me wanted to just have the space anyway, and the other half is saying, "Just let it go, she's not worth it."

magician5

« Reply #18232 on: December 02, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Ah yes, the second soprano with aspirations for loftier places.  I was in the second soprano group when I sang and there was always a lot of girls convinced that they should have have been or could have been firsts. Some were still good in the second in terms of holding their notes in opposition to the firsts and just complained verbally, but others "had trouble" and would stray onto the firsts' part leaving the rest of us to pick up their slack.  Just got them scolded, not moved (the ones that actually could hit those notes were actually good enough to understand that there is skill and value in singing second) so I'm not sure why they'd persist in trying.

It was ever thus, in any field.

Old film crew joke:
Q: How many of the talent does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Four. One to change the lightbulb and three to mutter "That ought to be me up there."

Q: Well, then, how many grips does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Five.  One to change the light bulb and four to tell you about the one they changed in LA last year.

There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

elephantschild

« Reply #18233 on: December 02, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
It snowed here today, so of course all the SS's were around. My sister and I went to a local market that had plenty of spaces available - including some directly across from the doors.  So what did the SS's do? Parked in the fire lane where it had signs and lettering painted on the ground saying NO PARKING. They parked right over the lettering - which because the car had been in that spot for so long - had no snow on  the letters.  It did not end there.
   I went in and these folks were walking three abreast and refused to move to allow others to pass by...at one point one of the two ladies in the party swung her cart across the aisle so quickly and aggressively she almost hit me, and told me to "watch out, you don't own the store!" We finally got passed them and went to a second aisle to look for what we wanted, only to find them at the exit to that aisle when we were done, again refusing to move to let us pass and telling US how rude WE were.  At this point we thought better of being in this store and left... shaking our heads and wondering what they were thinking.

I think I encountered them earlier in my neck of the woods. On Friday night, I stopped by a local liquor store. The lot was a sheet of ice. I exchanged grimaces with fellow shoppers as we minced our way to and from the doors. Note: This is a relatively small store and the spaces aren't horribly far away.

When I got to the store, there were two cars pulled up right next to the doors. Facing each other. Right on top of the "no parking" lettering. With their caution lights blinking. No handicapped tags. (Even if they were, they weren't supposed to park there, but I might have had more sympathy under the conditions. Or not, considering that this wasn't exactly an absolutely necessary stop for anyone.) One in particular was so close that if you opened the front passenger door all the way, you'd probably hit the building.

I considered mentioning it to one of the clerks, but decided it probably wouldn't do any good. As I was paying, I saw a well-dressed man leave the store and hop in one of the cars, bag in hand, no sign of any possible reason for his parking "specialness." Special Snowflake, indeed.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #18234 on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
snip
   I went in and these folks were walking three abreast and refused to move to allow others to pass by...at one point one of the two ladies in the party swung her cart across the aisle so quickly and aggressively she almost hit me, and told me to "watch out, you don't own the store!" We finally got passed them and went to a second aisle to look for what we wanted, only to find them at the exit to that aisle when we were done, again refusing to move to let us pass and telling US how rude WE were.  At this point we thought better of being in this store and left... shaking our heads and wondering what they were thinking.

My SS weren't quite so rude, but I had to go to a big box store the other day and it took forever to get through. I swear, every person in my area who does that stopping in the middle of the aisle thing was there. I think I counted six different people that just stopped in the middle of an aisle. A few were talking to friends, a few were just stopping where they were to look at stuff. I politely asked one woman to move and got a look that made it clear that she found it very rude of me to ask.

I say it happened with six different people but it happened more than six times--I got stuck behind one woman at least three separate times. The third time she just stopped in the middle of one of the main aisles in the store and started reading a package she had in her cart. I went around her and thankfully was able to get to the register and get out without further incident.

Hillia

« Reply #18235 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
snip

My SS weren't quite so rude, but I had to go to a big box store the other day and it took forever to get through. I swear, every person in my area who does that stopping in the middle of the aisle thing was there. I think I counted six different people that just stopped in the middle of an aisle. A few were talking to friends, a few were just stopping where they were to look at stuff. I politely asked one woman to move and got a look that made it clear that she found it very rude of me to ask.

I say it happened with six different people but it happened more than six times--I got stuck behind one woman at least three separate times. The third time she just stopped in the middle of one of the main aisles in the store and started reading a package she had in her cart. I went around her and thankfully was able to get to the register and get out without further incident.

Definitely SS shoppers, but it's not helped at all by the grocery stores near me that put out small, temporary cardboard displays of whatever's hot at the moment - right now it's baking items, like spices, cupcake papers, frosting, etc - so the already just-barely-wide-enough-for-two aisle is now barely wide enough for one, and since the displays are staggered right-left-right, you find yourself weaving drunkenly down whatever aisle you're in trying to avoid them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #18236 on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
snip

Definitely SS shoppers, but it's not helped at all by the grocery stores near me that put out small, temporary cardboard displays of whatever's hot at the moment - right now it's baking items, like spices, cupcake papers, frosting, etc - so the already just-barely-wide-enough-for-two aisle is now barely wide enough for one, and since the displays are staggered right-left-right, you find yourself weaving drunkenly down whatever aisle you're in trying to avoid them.

The worst is when they have a display, then a pallet an employee is unloading, then another display, then another pallet, all the way down the aisle, so you can't get to anything on the either side of that center display unless you walk all the way to the front or back of the store.

rain

« Reply #18237 on: December 02, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »
I've got my first SS story to report- This occured at a mall
(btw- my DM uses an electric scooter)

SS uses an electric scooter and parked across the doorway of a store (he was outside the store in the hall) while he and a friend chatted.  There were people waiting to get in ... I waited a bit, then said excuse me & slid past (I had enough room) ... then others started doing the same.  If he'd pulled forward even 1-2 feet people could have gotten in/out of the store without troubling him.
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

nuit93

« Reply #18238 on: December 03, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »

As someone who's done a bit of choral work...why would they want to do that?  I honestly don't get it...if you're a 2nd soprano, why would you want to sing 1st?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18239 on: December 03, 2012, 12:35:45 AM »
I have a large vocal range, so I'm used to being stuck wherever the director needs me (usually alto or occasionally second soprano).  I can totally see switching to first soprano if all but one of the first sopranos failed to show up.  The difference is 1) I'd only do this if I had the music in front of me (not all choirs do), 2) I'd only do it with the director's express permission, 3) I know my range and know which high notes to skip, and 4) I may not have the world's most beautiful voice, but I can keep on pitch and I sightread better than most semi-pro musicians out there.  Oh, and 5) I'd only do it on mostly homophonic pieces (where the different parts are singing different notes but they're all doing it at the same times) so any direction our conductor has given us about where to breathe, get louder or softer, etc. still applies.

I definitely agree it's snowflakey to just reassign yourself right before a performance without getting the okay from the person in charge of the group!