Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4388391 times)

gingerzing

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18255 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »
Sarah is lucky she didn't get hit with a bill for the removal of the bushes.

true, then again Mom just ripped them out by hand.  Basically they were quite small and easy to pull out with little effort.

Oh and basically told Sarah not to ever do it again.   Politely, but still.

GSNW

« Reply #18256 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
We have a new SS co-worker this year.  Things that are expected of all of us do not apply to him.  He has a billion excuses for not acting like a member of a team.  He is better than you and wants to make sure you know it!  He is certainly free from the rules that fetter lesser humanity.  Examples:

College week on campus, we all wear college shirts.  Cool co-worker is wearing a Duke shirt.
SS:  (eyeballing) Huh.  Did you go to Duke?
CCW:  Nope, just a fan of Coach K.
SS:  Yeah, well, practically my whole FAMILY went to Duke.  (rolls eyes)

This conversation was between SS and Other Teacher (I was standing right there).
OT:  Our department is meeting for 30 minutes after school next Tuesday to go over common planning.
SS:  (pained sigh) Ugh, I have a media event that night.  I need to nap, no can do.

The best one?  SS shows up late to a parent conference with a bowl of cereal and thermos of milk in hand, pours the milk, and proceeds to crunch and slurp away for the duration.  After parents left, Awesome Co-worker tries to educate SS.
AC:  I can't believe you did that.  Very unprofessional.
SS:  Whaaat?
AC:  Eating in a conference?  Seriously?
SS:  I don't know what to tell you - I only have a 20-minute window for breakfast.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:08:02 PM by GSNW »

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #18257 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
Christmas Shopping at Great Lakes Crossing (huge mall in Michigan).

Encountered a SS (a group, actually...)  A whole circle's worth, blocking most of the walking aisle, instead of standing in the center of the aisle (where benches and venders usually are, but in this case, there was enough room for all dozen of them to stand and gab without blocking anyone."

As my mom and I walked up to them, there was a space big enough for two people to walk side by side, and only if they walked *literally* up against the wall, where upon they'd almost immediately hit a window of the next store, and there's usually enough room for 5 people to walk abreast).  When we reached them, I said, "excuse me, could you please move?  You're blocking the aisle."

After we'd walked a good 10 feet, one of the SS's yelled to us "you could have just walked by us, like everyone else."

Between them, and people racing us to get to the register first makes me glad I don't have much more X-Mas shopping left.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18258 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
We have a new SS co-worker this year.  Things that are expected of all of us do not apply to him.  He has a billion excuses for not acting like a member of a team.  He is better than you and wants to make sure you know it!  He is certainly free from the rules that fetter lesser humanity.  Examples:

College week on campus, we all wear college shirts.  Cool co-worker is wearing a Duke shirt.

This conversation was between SS and Other Teacher (I was standing right there).
OT:  Our department is meeting for 30 minutes after school next Tuesday to go over common planning.
SS:  (pained sigh) Ugh, I have a media event that night.  I need to nap, no can do.

The best one?  SS shows up late to a parent conference with a bowl of cereal and thermos of milk in hand, pours the milk, and proceeds to crunch and slurp away for the duration.  After parents left, Awesome Co-worker tries to educate SS.
SS:  I don't know what to tell you - I only have a 20-minute window for breakfast.

I can't wait for his debut on the Professional Darwinism thread!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Iris

« Reply #18259 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »

A parent conference in no way forms part of a 'breakfast window'. He in fact had a 20 minute - parent conference window for breakfast. If that's not enough, get up earlier.

I suspect that this guy will show up in both the PD AND brain hurt threads, plus maybe a few of his very own...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18260 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:59 PM »
I was pretty dang sure I'm made that way.  Don't get me wrong, I love to sing the harmony because it makes being a soprano more interesting but I still can't dip below the treble clef any easier than an alto can belt a high F.

I actually suspect the altos trying to hit a high F would have an easier time of it. :) I took voice lessons very briefly in college (about a year total). Prior to taking voice lessons, I had a very small range, and was a very decided alto. By the time I stopped taking voice lessons, I was singing more like a mezzo soprano. In other words, I could hit very high notes, but it was extremely difficult and uncomfortable for me, and I wasn't always consistent about it. On the other hand, if I had continued to take lessons and practice, I might have been able to build my comfort level at the top of my range.

But at some point, it's just not possible to sing any lower. I call myself an alto because my lowest singing notes are low, not because I'm incapable of singing high. My favorite songs on the radio to sing along to are almost all sung by men, and I'm not even singing an octave up to manage it. :)

Personally, I think the first soprano (or soprano, period) being the "better" part in the minds of some is for the same reasons why the first violin section (or violins period) is "better" in an orchestra. Both have highly visible parts, either because they are hitting the highest notes or have the melody line (or both). But anyone who is going to perform as part of an ensemble has no business coveting other parts to the point where they screw other people up. Sometimes, in any given piece of music, you don't get to have the most fun part. The trick to enjoying it is to find what is fun about the part you do have, because 95% of the time, there's something that's legitimately pretty awesome.

Unless you play the cello and it's Pachelbel's Canon. Then there is like negative eleventy million awesome. Times three, since everybody else gets at least a little awesome, but you get the same 8 quarter notes for like 10 minutes (which, of course, feels like approximately the rest of your life).

Iris

« Reply #18261 on: December 04, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »

Unless you play the cello and it's Pachelbel's Canon. Then there is like negative eleventy million awesome. Times three, since everybody else gets at least a little awesome, but you get the same 8 quarter notes for like 10 minutes (which, of course, feels like approximately the rest of your life).

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully ask you if you accidentally just took some mind altering drugs and mistakenly typed negative instead of positive and eleventy million instead of fifty-seven thousand billion kajillion. Those 8 quarter notes are everything in Pachabel's Canon. I bet the only time boy cello players get the girls is when the ensemble they're in is playing Pachabel's Canon  ;)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #18262 on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully ask you if you accidentally just took some mind altering drugs and mistakenly typed negative instead of positive and eleventy million instead of fifty-seven thousand billion kajillion. Those 8 quarter notes are everything in Pachabel's Canon. I bet the only time boy cello players get the girls is when the ensemble they're in is playing Pachabel's Canon  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

I ever feel bad for the cellos playing Pachabel's Canon and I'm a violinist!  I'm not allowed to feel bad for them.  ;)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18263 on: December 04, 2012, 04:34:10 AM »

As my mom and I walked up to them, there was a space big enough for two people to walk side by side, and only if they walked *literally* up against the wall, where upon they'd almost immediately hit a window of the next store, and there's usually enough room for 5 people to walk abreast).  When we reached them, I said, "excuse me, could you please move?  You're blocking the aisle."

My dad and I went to Italy this summer and among other things went to Venice. I had never been there before so we decided to walk over the Rialto Bridge just for the "I did it " factor. In late July it is very very very crowded on the bridge. Which, for those who haven't been there is a pedestrian bridge. At the very top there is a family of 6 or 7 standing in a circle trying to decide where to go next. I am fairly good at getting through crowds and I could barely do so. They just didn't -wouldn't - move while they had their family discussion forcing everyone to try and maneuver around them.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #18264 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

My dad and I went to Italy this summer and among other things went to Venice. I had never been there before so we decided to walk over the Rialto Bridge just for the "I did it " factor. In late July it is very very very crowded on the bridge. Which, for those who haven't been there is a pedestrian bridge. At the very top there is a family of 6 or 7 standing in a circle trying to decide where to go next. I am fairly good at getting through crowds and I could barely do so. They just didn't -wouldn't - move while they had their family discussion forcing everyone to try and maneuver around them.

Having my DD in a pushchair has eliminated any chance of my being polite to people like this, once I've said 'Excuse me' once.  If they ignore me or don't move, I raise my voice and say 'Oi! You're blocking the path, move!' I have no patience for selfish people.  And they are being selfish and thoughtless at best, and deliberately rude at worst. 
There are exceptions, obviously, for disabled/injured/elderly/children!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18265 on: December 04, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »

Having my DD in a pushchair has eliminated any chance of my being polite to people like this, once I've said 'Excuse me' once.  If they ignore me or don't move, I raise my voice and say 'Oi! You're blocking the path, move!' I have no patience for selfish people.  And they are being selfish and thoughtless at best, and deliberately rude at worst. 
There are exceptions, obviously, for disabled/injured/elderly/children!
[/quote]

They were told-by other people. They ignored them. I don't know if it was selfishness or an ignorance of English.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #18266 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
My SS neighbors are really getting on my nerves lately, and some days I think they're intentionally doing things to annoy us instead of just being obtuse SS.

First, there are a lot of people that live there. (Not SS, but bear with me.) I know there's a family with several children and an uncle, but there's also at least one young guy and I think a woman. I'm not sure how or if they're related to anybody. They have approximately 983576264 cars and trucks. OK, closer to 5-6. Their double driveway could fit all their vehicles, but instead it holds one car while they park the other vehicles on the street around my driveway. At first I didn't mind. It's kind of annoying, but there's plenty of street parking since they are one of the two or three houses on the street that actually parks on it. But for the last few months they've been parking exactly at the edges of my driveway and leaving the rest of the street empty. Backing out is a giant pain because I'm afraid I'm going to hit one of their cars.

Second, they seem to think that my front yard is their trash can and personal property. They unload their cars onto it. They clean out their cars onto it. They throw random trash on it. I was thisclose to picking up some junk they left there and depositing it on their doorstep, but it was magically gone yesterday when I got home. (First time that's happened.)

Third, they are inconsiderate. They let their children play in the street and they haven't taught them that when cars come, you get out of the street. Almost every morning someone's ride (yes, even with all those cars I guess someone gets picked up) pulls up and honks outside their house for fifteen minutes. This morning it was only ten, so I guess someone was on the ball.

There was an elderly man that used to live next door to us that would always call and report their cars abandoned because at the time they moved them very late at night or early in the morning. I thought (and still think) that was snowflakey, but I understand the urge to do something like that now.

I'm glad we're planning on moving in the next few years, although I really hope the next neighbors are better and not worse.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18267 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »
The SSness about my employee discount continues.

A co-worker at my full time job came up to me yesterday with a print-out of a pair of boots on the website of the department store I'm working for. She said "Hey, order these for me and I'll pay you back, OK?"

I told her that the cost of shipping was high enough that it wouldn't make my discount worth it. She said "Well, are you working there tonight? I'll just come in and buy them from the store and you can give me the discount for them then."

I told her no, I wasn't, and even if I were, I wasn't going to give her my credit card or put the boots on my credit card for her. She sort of huffed at me and walked away. Later, I found out that she had approached me because another co-worker told her about my discount and said that I would do it. Without asking me, and knowing full well that I have already turned down other people who have wanted me to get the discount for them.

Nora

« Reply #18268 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
I'm baffled by the whole thing.

I can see feeling this way - when you are sick you tend to attach an undue amount of importance to mundane or everyday things. I can only imagine that that would be magnified 1000x when you are sick for an extended period of time. DP has probably been looking forward tremendously to cooking on 'her' grill for a long time and then her illness got in the way at the last moment. That's got to be disappointing. However, I know that personally I would feel silly for feeling that way and would certainly be gracious while guests were there, but may let my disappointment and 'silly' feelings out to DH once they left because he is my 'safe' person and gets to see allllllll my crazy  :)

Now, if you said she was actually insisting on buying a new grill...

I'm hoping that once she uses it a time or two she'll feel a little better. Sadly, she hasn't had a chance to yet, between weather and other logistics. Hoping maybe soon, though! Glad to hear it's not totally out of the realm of 'normal' though... I was a bit worried. LOL
[/quote]

I just want to add that as someone frequently incapacitated by her autoimmune diseases I totally get where your DP is coming from. I would have been so dissapointed in that situation, and have been in similar situations where I'm pretty sure DH did not get why something "small" ruined my day like that. She looked forward to it. She got sick (again). It was deferred to others and thus out of her hands, so no longer "her thing". That gets really old really fast if you are often and unpredictably ill. (((HUGS FOR HER)))
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

deadbody

« Reply #18269 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »

They may be everything into making the entire piece work, but they are the single most boring and unfun part of the song.  IIRC correctly even the Viola players got a small solo part in that song.  The Viola.....no one ever gives them a part because they are just the Viola.  Yet us cellists get 8 notes over and over and over and over and god please end this song or kill me now.

Anyone who thinks the cellists are anything other than homocidal after playing this song has never had to perform and practice it a bunch.  Seriously, after 1 month of playing as a 5 year old I could have handled this part, but since everyone else has to learn their significantly more difficult and interesting parts we have to keep practicing it.  Over and over and over and over.  8 notes over and over and over and over.

Can you tell the level of hatred I have for this piece?