Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5630740 times)

suzieQ

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18270 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
DH and I just returned from Disney World. Had a wonderful time!  ;D Also got a couple of stories for this thread.

While being squeezed into the mass of humanity trying to get onto the Haunted Mansion ride, we were in a "funnel" of people that had to narrow from a large group to single file.
DH politely let one person ahead of us, as that person was trying to stay with their group. As we started to move into position to get into the line, a group of at least 8 people, (all older teens) and all holding onto each other's backpacks, so there was no way to break into their line, broke in front of us. DH was less polite after that incident. (not rude, just not giving up our place in line to allow someone else in again)

At the Osborne Light Show in Disney Hollywood Studios: We were standing in a large crowd, right behind a walkway, so lots of people were walking directly in front of us. A "lady" and her companion came up and put her hand on DH's back, pushing him into the walkway while saying "Excuse me!" instead of simply walking in front of him in the walkway. Nearly caused him to fall, and he is a big guy.

We saw a lot of Special Snowflakes there.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

gingerzing

« Reply #18271 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »
I try to avoid eating out on big holidays.  Most of the time I can get DH to understand this.  But one year (New Year's Eve) he had a hankering for seafood and we HAD to go to a local seafood place - nice sit down place.  Fine, but even getting there somewhat early -5:30PM- meant that we put our name on the list and had to wait just over an hour. 
And what an hour it was!  Since the bar area was packed, we were sitting on a bench near the hostess stand. 
One gentleman came in about 5:50 and wanted to be seated for his reservation at 6.  Ummmm, what?  As the hostess explained that it wasn't possible, he went on about having a reservation for 12 people at 6PM and they HAD to be seated by 6. Yeah, but the tables are in use and hey, you are here 10 minutes early.  He grumbled a bit then left.  Around 6, the majority of the group came in and the hostess explained to a different person that their table would be ready in about 5 minutes since they had to do some set up.  The first guys grumbled on that they were ON TIME and by golly needed to have the whole group seated NOW.   Some others in the group distracted him for the time that it took the staff to set up the table.  Kicker?  The last 4 people came in about 5 minutes after the main part of the group had been seated.

Then there was the BIG SHOT Specialest Snowflake ever!
<Little background for this restaurant.  While there are some booths, about 2/3 of the seating are tables. >
This older guy walks in with a much younger trophy girlfriend/wife/whatnot on his arm.  (No, not an assumption.  So totally not a dad and daughter.  In fact, painfully the stereotype of older guy with young trophy wife)  He has a whole BIG SHOT attitude complete with a "Let me show you how it is DONE to get seated".   He walks up to the hostess and says, "Yeah, we need to be seated immediately...in a booth.  Now."  Hostess looks at him somewhat bemused and says, "And do you have a reservation?"  And everyone waiting KNOWS what his answer is going to be...with the exception of the girl on his arm.  "RESERVATIONS!?!?!?!? No, I want a booth now.  Why would I need a reservation?"  The hostess smiles sweetly, "Well, I AM sorry, sir, but as you can see there are quite a few people waiting for a table and without a reservation -made earlier this week or today - there is a 2 1/2 hour* wait."  Big Shot got all growly but ended up finally realizing that the hostess was not backing down. And most of the crowd who had been an audience to his major FAIL was now just waiting to have an excuse to teach him manners.  He grabbed his girlfriend/wife and rather than going out the main door, walked by me to a side door (down steps that gave her trouble in her super high heels) As he left with the parting shot of "Come on, baby.  This place is subpar anyway and doesn't know how to treat a customer."     ::)

*For the record, the hostess had just told a couple that had walked in before Big Shot that it would be an hour to hour and half for a table.  Heh.  Pretty sure she knew what she was doing and was protecting the staff.

TXJess

« Reply #18272 on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
DH and I just returned from Disney World. Had a wonderful time!  ;D Also got a couple of stories for this thread.

While being squeezed into the mass of humanity trying to get onto the Haunted Mansion ride, we were in a "funnel" of people that had to narrow from a large group to single file.
DH politely let one person ahead of us, as that person was trying to stay with their group. As we started to move into position to get into the line, a group of at least 8 people, (all older teens) and all holding onto each other's backpacks, so there was no way to break into their line, broke in front of us. DH was less polite after that incident. (not rude, just not giving up our place in line to allow someone else in again)

At the Osborne Light Show in Disney Hollywood Studios: We were standing in a large crowd, right behind a walkway, so lots of people were walking directly in front of us. A "lady" and her companion came up and put her hand on DH's back, pushing him into the walkway while saying "Excuse me!" instead of simply walking in front of him in the walkway. Nearly caused him to fall, and he is a big guy.

I went to Disney World last March, and we experienced the same thing at the Haunted Mansion ride! This huge family just shoved themselves infront of us! We had the same issue at Pirates of the Carribean; lots of line cutting! We definitely saw our fair share of special snowflakes. Surprisingly, Universal Studios wasn't that bad... the excitement of Disney World must make people forget their manners.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18273 on: December 04, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »

I went to Disney World last March, and we experienced the same thing at the Haunted Mansion ride! This huge family just shoved themselves infront of us! We had the same issue at Pirates of the Carribean; lots of line cutting! We definitely saw our fair share of special snowflakes. Surprisingly, Universal Studios wasn't that bad... the excitement of Disney World must make people forget their manners.

I had the same thing happen to me in the Matterhorn line at Disneyland. Fortunately sweet karma came around. They needed a single rider to fill a spot, so I got to skip well ahead of the group. I smiled real big at them when I was getting off and they were still several spots back in line.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #18274 on: December 04, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
I'm baffled by the whole thing.

I can see feeling this way - when you are sick you tend to attach an undue amount of importance to mundane or everyday things. I can only imagine that that would be magnified 1000x when you are sick for an extended period of time. DP has probably been looking forward tremendously to cooking on 'her' grill for a long time and then her illness got in the way at the last moment. That's got to be disappointing. However, I know that personally I would feel silly for feeling that way and would certainly be gracious while guests were there, but may let my disappointment and 'silly' feelings out to DH once they left because he is my 'safe' person and gets to see allllllll my crazy  :)

Now, if you said she was actually insisting on buying a new grill...

I'm hoping that once she uses it a time or two she'll feel a little better. Sadly, she hasn't had a chance to yet, between weather and other logistics. Hoping maybe soon, though! Glad to hear it's not totally out of the realm of 'normal' though... I was a bit worried. LOL

I just want to add that as someone frequently incapacitated by her autoimmune diseases I totally get where your DP is coming from. I would have been so dissapointed in that situation, and have been in similar situations where I'm pretty sure DH did not get why something "small" ruined my day like that. She looked forward to it. She got sick (again). It was deferred to others and thus out of her hands, so no longer "her thing". That gets really old really fast if you are often and unpredictably ill. (((HUGS FOR HER)))
[/quote]

Thank you for the input. It really helps - she's healthy 75% of the time, but those other 25% really can make or break her whole month sometimes.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #18275 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Unless you play the cello and it's Pachelbel's Canon. Then there is like negative eleventy million awesome. Times three, since everybody else gets at least a little awesome, but you get the same 8 quarter notes for like 10 minutes (which, of course, feels like approximately the rest of your life).

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully ask you if you accidentally just took some mind altering drugs and mistakenly typed negative instead of positive and eleventy million instead of fifty-seven thousand billion kajillion. Those 8 quarter notes are everything in Pachabel's Canon. I bet the only time boy cello players get the girls is when the ensemble they're in is playing Pachabel's Canon  ;)

They may be everything into making the entire piece work, but they are the single most boring and unfun part of the song.  IIRC correctly even the Viola players got a small solo part in that song.  The Viola.....no one ever gives them a part because they are just the Viola.  Yet us cellists get 8 notes over and over and over and over and god please end this song or kill me now.

Anyone who thinks the cellists are anything other than homocidal after playing this song has never had to perform and practice it a bunch.  Seriously, after 1 month of playing as a 5 year old I could have handled this part, but since everyone else has to learn their significantly more difficult and interesting parts we have to keep practicing it.  Over and over and over and over.  8 notes over and over and over and over.

Can you tell the level of hatred I have for this piece?

A cellists Pachabel fantasy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5_xj_yuhs&list=UUmKurapML4BF9Bjtj4RbvXw&index=7&feature=plcp
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

Amava

« Reply #18276 on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
For everyone who spoke about Pachelbel's canon.
That's all good and well.
But I prefer Pachelbel's cannon. It is super cute.

Elisabunny

« Reply #18277 on: December 04, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

Unless you play the cello and it's Pachelbel's Canon. Then there is like negative eleventy million awesome. Times three, since everybody else gets at least a little awesome, but you get the same 8 quarter notes for like 10 minutes (which, of course, feels like approximately the rest of your life).

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully ask you if you accidentally just took some mind altering drugs and mistakenly typed negative instead of positive and eleventy million instead of fifty-seven thousand billion kajillion. Those 8 quarter notes are everything in Pachabel's Canon. I bet the only time boy cello players get the girls is when the ensemble they're in is playing Pachabel's Canon  ;)

They may be everything into making the entire piece work, but they are the single most boring and unfun part of the song.  IIRC correctly even the Viola players got a small solo part in that song.  The Viola.....no one ever gives them a part because they are just the Viola.  Yet us cellists get 8 notes over and over and over and over and god please end this song or kill me now.

Anyone who thinks the cellists are anything other than homocidal after playing this song has never had to perform and practice it a bunch.  Seriously, after 1 month of playing as a 5 year old I could have handled this part, but since everyone else has to learn their significantly more difficult and interesting parts we have to keep practicing it.  Over and over and over and over.  8 notes over and over and over and over.

Can you tell the level of hatred I have for this piece?

A cellists Pachabel fantasy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5_xj_yuhs&list=UUmKurapML4BF9Bjtj4RbvXw&index=7&feature=plcp

I now have the urge to re-write Pachelbel with the cello getting the coolest part (whichever one y'all agree on).  The Eight Notes would, of course, go to the first violin. >:D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18278 on: December 04, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
She also felt that all sopranos only sang high because they didn't practice enough to sing properly.  She would say, "Well this will be motivation for you to REALLY practice."  I've been singing in choirs since was was 10.  I had private lessons in high school/college.  By that point (I was mid-20s) I was pretty dang sure I'm made that way.  Don't get me wrong, I love to sing the harmony because it makes being a soprano more interesting but I still can't dip below the treble clef any easier than an alto can belt a high F.

Heh, I used to run into the opposite sometimes. There are no altos, I've been told, only lazy sopranos. If I just worked hard enough, I could sing up in the stratosphere.  ::)

(Um, no.)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #18279 on: December 04, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
The Pachebel/musical instruments discussion reminded me of one of my favorite comedian's bit on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6zXHQ6iRg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Favorite line is around 5:40 when he talks about being 3rd clarinet and playing "the notes that are left over."

/end threadjack (and actually glad I have no SS to report)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #18280 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
Can we please take the music talk to another thread and get back to Special Snowflake stories?

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #18281 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:19 PM »
okay back to topic: Thinking about kids and musical instruments reminded me of the SS parents you have to deal with in school productions (especially Christmas pageants) who are convinced their child(ren) are stars (even if they're in a chorus of 30 other kids) and set up movie-grade recording equipment blocking the aisle or rush down to stand in front of the seated audience and record their little darling's shining moment. Do they really think they'll be giving the footage to producers of "Biography" or "Behind the Music" years from now? Ah yes we can say we knew the little tots before they became Oscar winning superstars... ::) No, your child is not in fact special and his rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" will not get him a record contract!
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18282 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »
*sneaks in a reference to "Bass Part" by Keepsake before we get off the music thing*

(actual singing starts at around :42 in)

You cellists aren't alone  ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18283 on: December 04, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »
Softly Spoken, that's part of why my junior high choir teacher had a professional recording done of each and every concert.  (The other part was because her husband was a professional videographer.)  Her husband took excellent videos and made sure to get a close-up of each kid at least once, which was impressive because there were nearly 300 kids in the various choirs (out of a school of ~600 - choir was very popular!).  Parents could buy a copy of the official videotape, at cost, and nobody had to fight over the best camera spots.

MissRose

« Reply #18284 on: December 05, 2012, 07:01:30 AM »
I am not overly looking forward to the SS parents and family members who seem to frequent the school programs this time of year.   I go to my niece and nephew's programs, and the SS behavior is prevalent: parents who do not remove/quiet down noisy younger siblings and/or not keeping tabs on them, parents/other adults who hog the aisles when snapping pictures and/or capturing video, people who do not silence their electronics even though the musical director asks ahead of time and the program asks people to do so among other things.