Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5526957 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18285 on: December 05, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »
I am not overly looking forward to the SS parents and family members who seem to frequent the school programs this time of year.   I go to my niece and nephew's programs, and the SS behavior is prevalent: parents who do not remove/quiet down noisy younger siblings and/or not keeping tabs on them, parents/other adults who hog the aisles when snapping pictures and/or capturing video, people who do not silence their electronics even though the musical director asks ahead of time and the program asks people to do so among other things. 

At my DD's school (magnet for the arts, so these people should know better!) they had the amazing shrinking audience. The kids were supposed to go to the band room after their performance, and wait for the end before they left. Instead, as one group finished and another started, the parents of each group would, for the most part, sneak out the back (pretending to be quiet, but really not quiet at all). It got to the point that one teacher actually told the kids that if they weren't there at the end of the performance to pick up a 'ticket' saying they had stayed, they wouldn't get performance credit!

Always was a shame that the parents of the freshmen would sneak out at the beginning, and so have to only 'suffer' through their kid's first performance - and missed the actually quite good performances of the upper classes!

MissRose

« Reply #18286 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
I am not overly looking forward to the SS parents and family members who seem to frequent the school programs this time of year.   I go to my niece and nephew's programs, and the SS behavior is prevalent: parents who do not remove/quiet down noisy younger siblings and/or not keeping tabs on them, parents/other adults who hog the aisles when snapping pictures and/or capturing video, people who do not silence their electronics even though the musical director asks ahead of time and the program asks people to do so among other things. 

At my DD's school (magnet for the arts, so these people should know better!) they had the amazing shrinking audience. The kids were supposed to go to the band room after their performance, and wait for the end before they left. Instead, as one group finished and another started, the parents of each group would, for the most part, sneak out the back (pretending to be quiet, but really not quiet at all). It got to the point that one teacher actually told the kids that if they weren't there at the end of the performance to pick up a 'ticket' saying they had stayed, they wouldn't get performance credit!

Always was a shame that the parents of the freshmen would sneak out at the beginning, and so have to only 'suffer' through their kid's first performance - and missed the actually quite good performances of the upper classes!

Good thing for the teacher doing what they did to make the kids and parents stay with the kids not getting credit unless the performing kids stayed.  My sister's kids' school does mention in the printed program that the kids are required to stay, and have a place to sit to watch other the grades perform then are they are dismissed to the band room where their parents can then take them home from there when all are finished. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18287 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Our school concert finishes with a piece performed by the whole ensemble. So everyone has to stay.

Victoria

o_gal

« Reply #18288 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
I try to avoid eating out on big holidays.  Most of the time I can get DH to understand this.  But one year (New Year's Eve) he had a hankering for seafood and we HAD to go to a local seafood place - nice sit down place.  Fine, but even getting there somewhat early -5:30PM- meant that we put our name on the list and had to wait just over an hour. 
And what an hour it was!  Since the bar area was packed, we were sitting on a bench near the hostess stand. 

Reminds me of a fun experience we once had. We had reservations for 7:30 at a now-closed  :'( favorite restaurant on the 2nd Friday in December. So like your NYE, people wanted to be out and celebrating. They had lots of large parties celebrating. And celebrating. And more celebrating. And even more celebrating - to the point where they had people with reservations who couldn't be seated, at all. The large parties were lingering and asking for more coffee, drinks, etc. When we walked up to the hostess, she explained that it would probably be at least 1 hour before we could be seated, maybe more, unless the dam broke and some of the large parties left (she looked really frazzled, and the manager kept coming out to check on the situation but there was really nothing they could do.) But there were still a dozen people ahead of us who had reservations before us. We sat down and decided we'd stick it out about 15 to 20 minutes, then bail if necessary (had to be back to pick up DS by a certain time.)

Now, none of these people I'm about to describe were actually snowflakes. But they provided lots and lots of amusement to those of us waiting. The restaurant had benches around the waiting area where we were all waiting. So we could watch as groups would come in, take a look at what they assumed was the great-unwashed (those of us sitting on the benches), then proudly walk up the hostess stand and announce "Seinfeld, party of 4, for 7:45". Then we got to watch their faces fall as they were informed of the situation and that they could join the these other people who had reservations on the benches, while they wait for an hour to an hour-and-a-half for their table. Some joined us, most left.

The funniest was Mr. Big Shot, who entered wearing what looked to be an expensive tuxedo and leather trench coat. His wife/girlfriend had on a cocktail dress and full-length fur coat. She was also wearing lots of jewelry. Obviously, they expected to have a wonderful evening out and were denied. The way they swept in said "I am IMPORTANT!" Then the Important People got asked to wait on the bench with us. Boy, did he look like steam could have come out of his ears. They left.

We bailed about 20 minutes later than our reservation time and informed the hostess. The wait by then had grown to 2 HOURS.

Shalamar

« Reply #18289 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »
Speaking of parents recording their kids' concerts, I can't remember if I've told this story before - it happened at my daughter's choir performance a couple of years ago.  There was a guy sitting in front of me who recorded the whole thing, which was very annoying, because his camera was right at my eye-level.  Then - while the concert was still happening - he decided to review his footage with the sound turned on.   We all glared at him, to no avail.

the parents of each group would, for the most part, sneak out the back (pretending to be quiet, but really not quiet at all).

I confess to doing this once during a Christmas concert at which my older daughter had performed, but in my defense, my younger daughter (who was two at the time) was getting very tired and fretful.   So, as soon as Daughter #1 had finished her bit, my husband and I scooped up Daughter #2 and left as quietly as possible.  What killed us was that, when we arrived at the classroom to see if Daughter #1 was ready to go, the teacher physically pushed us out of the room, saying "No, no!  Go see the rest of the concert!"  We said (between gritted teeth) "We'd love to, but Daughter #2 has other ideas."  Luckily, Daughter #1 was tired as well and was more than happy to leave.

(In hindsight, we should have gotten a babysitter.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:17:27 AM by Shalamar »

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18290 on: December 05, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
o_gal wrote:

"We bailed about 20 minutes later than our reservation time and informed the hostess. The wait by then had grown to 2 HOURS."

Honestly, I can see why they're gone.  I understand having problems when it's busy, but having group after group with reservations having to sit because there are no tables available is bad management.  If they have that kind of problem with table control they should have simply declined to take reservations at all.

Shalamar wrote:

"I confess to doing this once during a Christmas concert at which my older daughter had performed, but in my defense, my younger daughter (who was two at the time) was getting very tired and fretful."

I think this excuses leaving early.  You didn't bail out because your child was done and you had no interest in the rest of the show, you left because your other child was about to become a problem for the other audience members, so it's more polite to leave in your case.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #18291 on: December 05, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
If they have that kind of problem with table control they should have simply declined to take reservations at all.

I agree!  I think that the manager should have gone up to the slowpokes and said politely "I'm sorry to rush you, but we have other people waiting for this table."

nuit93

« Reply #18292 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
Our school concert finishes with a piece performed by the whole ensemble. So everyone has to stay.

Mine did that too.

o_gal

« Reply #18293 on: December 05, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
If they have that kind of problem with table control they should have simply declined to take reservations at all.

I agree!  I think that the manager should have gone up to the slowpokes and said politely "I'm sorry to rush you, but we have other people waiting for this table."

That wasn't what caused them to close - we'd been there on other Fridays/Saturdays during holiday season and things ran fine. It was just that one night. What caused them to close years later is that first they had a catastrophic fire. They rebuilt and used their current employees as the labor (trained them in carpentry and such). But the problem was that that took a long, long time and then they just quietly reopened. They did not make a big fanfare for the reopening, so most people thought they were still closed, and they did not get enough business, so they closed again for good.

mmswm

« Reply #18294 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
I've left early from a child's concert exactly once.  During a break between groups, my oldest son was goofing around and fell.  It looked really nasty, so I went to the back, explained the situation, and got my middle son, who was the one performing.  Thankfully, he had already done his part, so he didn't have to miss performing.  I dropped my oldest and youngest off at a neighbor's house, then took the oldest to the ER.  He'd managed to break his hand.

I'm with the rest of you on the SS behavior of so many parents at these concerts. It's obnoxious and keeps others from being able to enjoy their own child's performance.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CreteGirl

« Reply #18295 on: December 05, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
We are working on a project to reseal a parking lot, and are doing the project in sections.  This is at a mixed use center with some retail tenants.  We phased the project so there would always be available parking near the sections that were closed for resealing.

One gentleman came to the center this weekend, and decided he did not want to drive around the building to the available parking spaces nearest to the shop he was visiting.  Despite being asked not to, he removed the barricades and drove through the fresh asphalt sealer, got out of his car and tracked tar all over the sidewalk.

I have no idea why he thought parking directly in front of the shop was more important than not ruining part of an expensive resealing project.

soonerangel

« Reply #18296 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
We are working on a project to reseal a parking lot, and are doing the project in sections.  This is at a mixed use center with some retail tenants.  We phased the project so there would always be available parking near the sections that were closed for resealing.

One gentleman came to the center this weekend, and decided he did not want to drive around the building to the available parking spaces nearest to the shop he was visiting.  Despite being asked not to, he removed the barricades and drove through the fresh asphalt sealer, got out of his car and tracked tar all over the sidewalk.

I have no idea why he thought parking directly in front of the shop was more important than not ruining part of an expensive resealing project.

*jaw drop*

Not to mention, damage to his car, right?  Could you find out who it is and charge him for the repair?

I'd also put gentleman in quotes  ;). I'm pretty sure he's anything but a gentleman.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18297 on: December 05, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
She also felt that all sopranos only sang high because they didn't practice enough to sing properly.  She would say, "Well this will be motivation for you to REALLY practice."  I've been singing in choirs since was was 10.  I had private lessons in high school/college.  By that point (I was mid-20s) I was pretty dang sure I'm made that way.  Don't get me wrong, I love to sing the harmony because it makes being a soprano more interesting but I still can't dip below the treble clef any easier than an alto can belt a high F.

Heh, I used to run into the opposite sometimes. There are no altos, I've been told, only lazy sopranos. If I just worked hard enough, I could sing up in the stratosphere.  ::)

(Um, no.)

I sing second alto/first tenor, and it's not because I'm lazy.  You wouldn't want me to try hitting soprano notes; I'd sound like someone dropped an anvil on my foot.

dawnfire

« Reply #18298 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »

In my sons school they have 2 songs to sing.  they sing 1 song going by grades and then the next one going in the same order. It ends with a silly song by all the teachers.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18299 on: December 05, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
There was a woman in front of me in line at TJ Maxx today. She had her four children with her, and was letting them pretty much run wild in the line. The line to the register is sort of blocked in by display shelves with lots of cheap impulse buy type things like nailpolish, candles, books, socks, candy, and so on. The kids were yanking socks off the shelves and tossing them, opened a pot of glitter and dumped it onto the floor, ripped a hole in the packaging of a gingerbread house, and were just being unruly in general. The mom would make the occasional halfhearted effort to stop them, but mostly just let them do whatever they wanted. She did apologize when one of the kids launched a pack of dishcloths at another customer in line, but made no effort to clean up after them or otherwise control them. I think everyone in line breathed a huge sigh of relief when they finally got to the register and left.