Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5646084 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18300 on: December 05, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
okay back to topic: Thinking about kids and musical instruments reminded me of the SS parents you have to deal with in school productions (especially Christmas pageants) who are convinced their child(ren) are stars (even if they're in a chorus of 30 other kids) and set up movie-grade recording equipment blocking the aisle or rush down to stand in front of the seated audience and record their little darling's shining moment. Do they really think they'll be giving the footage to producers of "Biography" or "Behind the Music" years from now? Ah yes we can say we knew the little tots before they became Oscar winning superstars... ::) No, your child is not in fact special and his rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" will not get him a record contract!

I used to do the recordings of events at school. I gave up after I had to trash an entire performance recording because of the parent cursing the choir director the whole time.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #18301 on: December 05, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »
SS at a charity shop

A friend and I went to a few charity shops yesterday and ran into 2 SS situations

First Charity Shop.
Some idiot thought charity shop meant dump broken household stuff. They dumped TWO trailer loads of broken, useless household gear, fridges, dining tables, broken tv units, broken dishes, the works on the front porch of the shop at 3am. From talking to the sales girl they just didn't want to pay the 60$ it would be to dump this rubbish at the dump. Jokes on them though. Not only were they caught on camera (there ar 6 HUGE signs stating they have security cameras) they left important identifying paperwork in one of the bags of rubbish and this charity shop is Government owned and run and on Council land. Idiots are in serious trouble. As we left some higher ups in the Council drove up and they did not look happy. Ha.

Second Charity Shop.
I spotted a paticular style of 'thumper' handheld back massager for $5 and I know these start at 150$ if you are lucky and my friend needed one badly so I snapped it up and gave it to her. As we had our stuff next to the register to pay this woman came up insiting that the workers find another thumper for her and they must have more in back so go find it. Err no, the saleswoman did an excellently calm job of explaining to the demanding woman that this is a charity shop, not a department store and what they sell is what they have out and no there was no more in back. It did take the saleswoman five minutes to explain it to her and she did leave in a huff muttering under her breath and giving my friend quite a glare as she did. Its a charity shop, first come first served.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:18:07 PM by Zenith »

misha412

« Reply #18302 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
DH and I just returned from Disney World.

I used to live in Florida and went to Disney on occasion. I particularly loved Epcot Center. One year, I made the mistake of going during the spring break season. This is the time when large groups of high school kids descend on the park.

My party and I were making our way around one side of Spaceship Earth (big silver globe). Right outside one of the bathrooms, a large group of kids (probably 40-50) were milling around. I swear almost all of them were wearing backpacks. So, besides their bodies, they had something on their backs that stuck out behind them a good few inches. But, the kids didn't seem to remember the extra space taken by the backpacks. I saw more than one person going behind a kid getting hit with a backpack when the kid turned suddenly. A couple of kids got hit in the face.

The kids were mainly clueless, not SS. But, I vowed never to go back when large groups of kids would be going.

greencat

« Reply #18303 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Had one of those SS backpack wearers land on the seat next to me on the shuttle bus a couple of days ago.  I'm not sure what he had in the backpack, but it was full to the point where the backpack was thicker than the guy was - and it was heavy, a fact which I can attest to as he landed it on me.  Another passenger noticed my "oof" noise and told the guy that he'd just hit me with his backpack. The guy turned a bit, apologized, and then turned back around - putting the bag right back in my lap!  I told him he was still hitting me with the bag and he kind of scooted out into the aisle...but that guy was seriously lacking in self-awareness.

Gyburc

« Reply #18304 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »
Had one of those SS backpack wearers land on the seat next to me on the shuttle bus a couple of days ago.  I'm not sure what he had in the backpack, but it was full to the point where the backpack was thicker than the guy was - and it was heavy, a fact which I can attest to as he landed it on me.  Another passenger noticed my "oof" noise and told the guy that he'd just hit me with his backpack. The guy turned a bit, apologized, and then turned back around - putting the bag right back in my lap!  I told him he was still hitting me with the bag and he kind of scooted out into the aisle...but that guy was seriously lacking in self-awareness.

I had the same thing happen to me a while ago, but since the backpack wearer was one of a trio of teenage girls who were sprawled over the bus cursing and swearing at the tops of their voices, I think it was probably deliberate rudeness. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I just took the first opportunity to move seats rather than confront them.  :-[
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18305 on: December 06, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
I nearly got caught up in the clash of two snowflakes.

Snowflake in a red VW Golf (we'll call him SpeedySnowflake) was belting down a residential road at close to 60 mph. Snowflake in a blue VW Golf (we'll call him ZenSnowflake) comes out of a side road.

Zen doesn't bother to pause at the stop sign, or apparently look left and right, before pulling into the residential road. Zen is now about 200 ft in front of Speedy, going the same direction as Speedy, but probably less than a third the speed of Speedy.

I was driving towards them (in the opposite direction) so I slammed on brakes because I didn't want to get caught in a crash that looked very likely to happen as Speedy zoomed towards the back of Zen.

Fortunately, Speedy had excellent brakes and hit them hard, as well as his hooter, smoke billowing from his tyres around his car as he barely avoided rear-ending Zen.

The kicker? As I drove past them, I could clearly see Zen looking in his rearview mirror at Speedy and shaking his head disbelievingly, as though to say say "Honestly! Can't you see I'm driving here? What's all the noisy hooting about, you silly goose?"
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18306 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »
A certain stretch of road in southern Italy is two Fiats, a Datsun, and a motorcycle wide.  I know this for certain, as I was driving the Datsun (predecessor to the Nissan, children.)  A Fiat was coming toward me.  A motorcycle came roaring up behind me and started to pass me just as a second oncoming Fiat decided to pass the first one.  Did I mention that in that part of Italy, there are no shoulders/verges?  There is only a curbing, with trees planted every 30 feet/10 meters or thereabouts, so there is NO way to pull off the road.  There was almost no time to brake, even.  SS Fiat#2 and SS Motorcycle, rather than drop back and try to pass again in a few seconds, apparently decided that extra speed was called for.  I swear, if any of us had had an extra coat of paint on our vehicles, it would have been all over.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nora

« Reply #18307 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »
Second Charity Shop.
I spotted a paticular style of 'thumper' handheld back massager for $5 and I know these start at 150$ if you are lucky and my friend needed one badly so I snapped it up and gave it to her.

By now I'm so used to eufemisms on this board that my brain translated that to a rabbit vibrator, like the one from SITC. I was wondering what kind of relationship y'all had where you'd pick her up supercheap used scrabble toys...  ;)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18308 on: December 07, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »
Second Charity Shop.
I spotted a paticular style of 'thumper' handheld back massager for $5 and I know these start at 150$ if you are lucky and my friend needed one badly so I snapped it up and gave it to her.

By now I'm so used to eufemisms on this board that my brain translated that to a rabbit vibrator, like the one from SITC. I was wondering what kind of relationship y'all had where you'd pick her up supercheap used scrabble toys...  ;)

Oh, good it wasn't just me! *laughs and cringes simultaneously*
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18309 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
Funny, I didn't notice a gutter running through here earlier...

;D

(I didn't think of it but I very well could have so I'm with you.   :))
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nuit93

« Reply #18310 on: December 07, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
Second Charity Shop.

Oh, good it wasn't just me! *laughs and cringes simultaneously*

No, that was my thought too...I'm glad I was wrong ;)

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #18311 on: December 07, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
A couple years ago my Mom ended up behind a school bus as it was dropping kids home in the evening.  Bus routes have changed many times over in this state but at this time the bus would stop at each kids separate driveway.  I am happy to report this practise has since changed and kids have assigned bus stops where numerous kids gather and there are less stops being made.
 Anywho, Mom is behind the bus, slowly making their way up the road, stopping at practically every drive and letting off 1 or 2 kids at a time when Mom hears the "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeching" of brakes and looks in her rearview mirror to see young, female SS in a convertible bearing down on her.  SS manages to come to a stop so close to Mom's car that Mom reports she couldn't see the cars' headlights.  SS then proceeds to yell, scream and wave arms around in protest.  Bus starts up again and a few feet later stopped again.  Mom glances back to see SS pounding her steering wheel with both hands and screaming with her head tilted back and her mouth WIDE open.  Mom said she could hear the "arrrrrgggghhhh" sound of said screaming.
At this point the bus pulled over on the side of the road, I am assuming to let Mom and SS pass.  Mom said she hesitated and was relieved when SS went on ahead, although SS stomped on the gas, flew past and flipped the bus full of children the bird as she disappeared from sight.
Mom carefully passed the bus and headed home.
Guess who Mom sees pulled over by the town's resident trooper just a few miles up the road?
Yep, SS.
Because bus drivers can and will report dangerous driving on their radios.
Ah, Karma.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18312 on: December 07, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
Wow...There's no excuse for such behavior, but I wonder if something happened earlier to drive the girl to her breaking point!  :o

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #18313 on: December 07, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
I wonder if something happened earlier to drive the girl to her breaking point! 

Ya know, who cares? Part of being grown up enough to drive a car is being responsible enough to keep your emotions from affecting your driving. She paid the price for letting impatience (or whatever - and if anyone mentions Asperger's my head will go 'splodey) turn her into a bad driver.

I hope she got a big fine.

I believe I may have mentioned this before. I saw a fellow driving down the walkway. He had a bumper sticker on the back of his vehicle which said, "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!"

But he wasn't a SS; the vehicle was a motorized wheelchair. (And the sidewalk was inside the Mall of New Hampshire.) I laughed out loud!  ;D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18314 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
After work yesterday, I swung by my local grocery store to pick up things we needed. I had a cart, and was halfway through the store, near the meat case. I stopped to look at the new prepared items available. I look to my left and right, step back to push my cart away, and a woman I had not seen (with a carry basket, no cart) was in between my cart and the meat case. She gave me a dirty look as I started to walk away, but I just thought it was no big deal. I finish my shopping and head for the registers. The same woman is near the registers, put down her carry basket, and walked out of the store! I could tell she was irritated from the body language both times I saw her.

I go to the register and tell the bagger, so they could get anything cold out of the basket and keep it from spoiling. It is a Thursday night a few weeks before Christmas, the store is not that busy, and there were plenty of registers open with only one person in each line. Who does all their shopping and then leaves?