Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5416484 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18345 on: December 09, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
There was a woman in front of me in line at TJ Maxx today. She had her four children with her, and was letting them pretty much run wild in the line. The line to the register is sort of blocked in by display shelves with lots of cheap impulse buy type things like nailpolish, candles, books, socks, candy, and so on. The kids were yanking socks off the shelves and tossing them, opened a pot of glitter and dumped it onto the floor, ripped a hole in the packaging of a gingerbread house, and were just being unruly in general. The mom would make the occasional halfhearted effort to stop them, but mostly just let them do whatever they wanted. She did apologize when one of the kids launched a pack of dishcloths at another customer in line, but made no effort to clean up after them or otherwise control them. I think everyone in line breathed a huge sigh of relief when they finally got to the register and left.

Many years ago I witnessed a similar event.  It was wonderful though, because when the lady finally got up to the cashier a couple of other employees appeared magically out of 'nowhere' and picked up all the items her kids had thrown around, broken, spilled, etc. and placed them on the conveyor belt with the items she intended to purchase. 

She protested, but they insisted that her children had 'used' the merchandise making it unsuitable for sale to other customers and that therefore she had effectively "bought" it.  I left before it was all sorted out, but it was quite obvious that she was totally shocked that the store had the nerve to expect her to accept responsibility for the behavior of her children and actually pay for the items they had destroyed!

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #18346 on: December 09, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
There was a woman in front of me in line at TJ Maxx today. She had her four children with her, and was letting them pretty much run wild in the line. The line to the register is sort of blocked in by display shelves with lots of cheap impulse buy type things like nailpolish, candles, books, socks, candy, and so on. The kids were yanking socks off the shelves and tossing them, opened a pot of glitter and dumped it onto the floor, ripped a hole in the packaging of a gingerbread house, and were just being unruly in general. The mom would make the occasional halfhearted effort to stop them, but mostly just let them do whatever they wanted. She did apologize when one of the kids launched a pack of dishcloths at another customer in line, but made no effort to clean up after them or otherwise control them. I think everyone in line breathed a huge sigh of relief when they finally got to the register and left.

Many years ago I witnessed a similar event.  It was wonderful though, because when the lady finally got up to the cashier a couple of other employees appeared magically out of 'nowhere' and picked up all the items her kids had thrown around, broken, spilled, etc. and placed them on the conveyor belt with the items she intended to purchase. 

She protested, but they insisted that her children had 'used' the merchandise making it unsuitable for sale to other customers and that therefore she had effectively "bought" it.  I left before it was all sorted out, but it was quite obvious that she was totally shocked that the store had the nerve to expect her to accept responsibility for the behavior of her children and actually pay for the items they had destroyed!

Years ago my mom ran a convenience store and she used to do the same thing.  Just quietly round up the damaged merchandise and add it to the customers purchase. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18347 on: December 09, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Yes, there was a man arrested here in the Baltimore area for vandalism like that.  He'd go to the store and squeeze several loaves of bread, or poke holes in the wrapping. Some people -- initially even the police, IIRC -- were like "So what?  How is that vandalism?  This isn't medieval Europe where they'd hang the poor guy over a measly loaf of bread.  Surely the store can afford a couple of dollars like that.  They throw away stuff all the time."

They had multiple security videos of the guy doing it, but it wasn't until the corporate headquarters pointed out that he had destroyed or contaminated $7000 worth of merchandise that he was arrested. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Emmy

« Reply #18348 on: December 09, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Yes, there was a man arrested here in the Baltimore area for vandalism like that.  He'd go to the store and squeeze several loaves of bread, or poke holes in the wrapping. Some people -- initially even the police, IIRC -- were like "So what?  How is that vandalism?  This isn't medieval Europe where they'd hang the poor guy over a measly loaf of bread.  Surely the store can afford a couple of dollars like that.  They throw away stuff all the time."

They had multiple security videos of the guy doing it, but it wasn't until the corporate headquarters pointed out that he had destroyed or contaminated $7000 worth of merchandise that he was arrested.

I imagine if somebody pocketed something relatively inexpensive at a store, they would still be arrested for shoplifting.  I don't see why somebody who vandalizes merchandise should be let off the hook any easier than a thief. 

mmswm

« Reply #18349 on: December 09, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

People are quite protective of carts here in the UK. However people don't tend to nick them (as far as I know.) The reason is you have to put £1 in your cart to use it (in most places.) you get it back at the end of your shop when you chain your cart back up.

Not sure if this is an SS.

I worked at a big department store, in there Cafe. We did toasted tea cakes. People would select a cake and bring it up to be toasted.

One lady hands me a cake and I go to cut it. She gets quite snippy with me.
I am "gasp" Handling her tea cake. I think she has not seen my gloves (new set for each customer)
I explain I have gloves on and they are new and this is how we handle all our customers food.

No, that is not good enough, they normal use the paper.

We cook the items on a sheet a grease proof paper and yes it is true, If we are busy (or lazy) and we don't have chance to change our gloves or put gloves on at all (trying to get what amounts to lose surgical cloves on damp hands is really very hard), we use the paper to hold the item while we cut it. thus not touching it.
I don't want to argue and don't see any harm in humoring her I offer to do her another one, as she is going on that she doesn't want to get sick with my germs.

I did not tell her that all the Cakes had been put in that nice big stack by me, wearing another pair of the cloves.
I just put the cake back on the pile (she had picked it up with tongues) when she was not looking.

Had she just asked me to do her another using the paper as she doesn't like the gloves, I would say she was not an SS. It was the tone she used to talked to me, like I was dirty and stupid.

I've had to ask an employee at a deli to stop and change his gloves, but I was as nice as I could be while getting his attention before he touched my sandwich.

The person in front of me decided she wanted a peanut butter cookie. The register employee asked the employee making my sandwich to put a cookie in the other customer's bag. (Register employee had taken off and thrown away her gloves to take the money).

I quickly said, "I'm deathly allergic to peanuts. Please change your gloves before you touch my food."

The manger who had been cleaning/restocking the drink frigs stepped in and explained this was exactly why they changed gloves between every customer.

She offered me a discount. I told her that it was an honest mistake and no harm done. I'm a regular there now and have told neighbors how careful they are with food safety.

On a later trip a customer questioned them "wasting" gloves by changing the between customers. The employee on duty explained about food allergies and cross contamination. The customer made a "boy it must be hard to live with allergies that bad" comment. (Not a mean comment just a that blows my mind comment)  I spoke up and said, "Restaurants like this one make it easier."

I have a deadly tomato allergy.  In September, I met with a friend at Five Guys for lunch.  Now, I always ask them to change gloves before preparing my food, because I react to even a small amount of juice, like what can be transferred to my food if an employee handled tomatoes on a previous customer's food.  Unfortunately, I was distracted talking to my friend and forgot to ask them to do that.  Sure enough, I had a major reaction involving the paramedics and a hospital visit.  If I ever ran across a place with the policy of always changing gloves, you can be sure I would go there as often as I could.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18350 on: December 09, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

I don't want to argue and don't see any harm in humoring her I offer to do her another one, as she is going on that she doesn't want to get sick with my germs.

I did not tell her that all the Cakes had been put in that nice big stack by me, wearing another pair of the cloves.
I just put the cake back on the pile (she had picked it up with tongues) when she was not looking.

Had she just asked me to do her another using the paper as she doesn't like the gloves, I would say she was not an SS. It was the tone she used to talked to me, like I was dirty and stupid.
[/quote]

I think spell-check should have been picked up with tongs, not tongues!!
picking up a cookie/cake by your tongue is just not right anywhere!

:P ;) :P
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

dawnfire

« Reply #18351 on: December 09, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »

[/quote]

though it would be interesting to see   :P

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18352 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »

It would indeed.  I was wondering if the lady was actually a chameleon in disguise.   ;D

Spellcheck doesn't catch properly spelled words used wrongly.  Google "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut" which flies right through spellcheck.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Sedorna

« Reply #18353 on: December 09, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

It would indeed.  I was wondering if the lady was actually a chameleon in disguise.   ;D

Spellcheck doesn't catch properly spelled words used wrongly.  Google "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut" which flies right through spellcheck.

Or maybe she bought a couple cow tongues to pick up cake. I'm picturing her (even though I don't know what she actually looks like), getting increasingly annoyed as the flopping cow tongues aren't doing a blasted thing in helping her pick up the cake.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18354 on: December 09, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Or maybe she bought a couple cow tongues to pick up cake. I'm picturing her (even though I don't know what she actually looks like), getting increasingly annoyed as the flopping cow tongues aren't doing a blasted thing in helping her pick up the cake.

Now that conjures up a mental picture I never want to imagine seeing in a bakery!!   ;D

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #18355 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
Sorry

I try and be as careful as I can, but got called away before I could proof read it for the Millionth time. I am Dyslexic.
The funny thing was as I was writing that I thought, check which Tong/Tongue to use. guess I forgot  :o

My best friend always says my FB post make her day interesting.

Totally off topic but etiquette hell has helped me loads with my spelling and grammar, because I care what you lot think, I put loads and loads of effort in to my posts. does mean it takes me an our to write a sort post.

Incidentally thats why I am laud_shy_girl when I meant to be loud_shy_girl
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:11:37 PM by laud_shy_girl »
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

JennJenn68

« Reply #18356 on: December 09, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »

And here I thought that you were trying to speak up for shy people everywhere and celebrate them accordingly... I've always thought that your handle was quite clever!

"Loud Shy Girl"--now I'm thinking of the song by Flanders and Swann...  "She's shy, she's shy, she as sensitive as you or I..."

Jones

« Reply #18357 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

And here I thought that you were trying to speak up for shy people everywhere and celebrate them accordingly... I've always thought that your handle was quite clever!

"Loud Shy Girl"--now I'm thinking of the song by Flanders and Swann...  "She's shy, she's shy, she as sensitive as you or I..."
I just read it with a Scottish accent :)

That being said, believe me, Laud, your posts are much more coherent/readable than some of the paperwork I am handed on a regular basis to process at work.

War_Doc

« Reply #18358 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
Let's get back to Special Snowflake stories please.  Take the cake conversation to another topic.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

MissRose

« Reply #18359 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
On my way to church yesterday morning, it was snowing some outside.  One person flew by me with his large pickup truck that was partly covered in snow and the front window and others part of my car got his residue of snow and ice.  Good thing I had been running my wipers due to the snow coming down.