Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5079890 times)

War_Doc

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18360 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
Let's get back to Special Snowflake stories please.  Take the cake conversation to another topic.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

MissRose

« Reply #18361 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
On my way to church yesterday morning, it was snowing some outside.  One person flew by me with his large pickup truck that was partly covered in snow and the front window and others part of my car got his residue of snow and ice.  Good thing I had been running my wipers due to the snow coming down.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18362 on: December 10, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »
For a second, Sis considered just handing her the cart and re-doing her shopping,

Why on earth would she even remotely consider rewarding such bad behavior?
Words mean things.

weeblewobble

« Reply #18363 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
For a second, Sis considered just handing her the cart and re-doing her shopping,

Why on earth would she even remotely consider rewarding such bad behavior?

Because she didn't enjoy standing in a public place having a loud confrontation with a stranger.   :-\

exitzero

« Reply #18364 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
On my way to church yesterday morning, it was snowing some outside.  One person flew by me with his large pickup truck that was partly covered in snow and the front window and others part of my car got his residue of snow and ice.  Good thing I had been running my wipers due to the snow coming down.
A friend of mine stopped at a red light once and notice the woman next to him had only cleared off a little port-hole sized space in the snow on her windshield. How lazy can you get? He was so furious that he hopped out of his car and took the 10 seconds to clear the rest of the windshield she wasn't a menace on the road.

She rolled down the window and giggled and said Thank you!

He snapped back, "I didn't do it for YOU!"

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #18365 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »
A friend of mine stopped at a red light once and notice the woman next to him had only cleared off a little port-hole sized space in the snow on her windshield. How lazy can you get? He was so furious that he hopped out of his car and took the 10 seconds to clear the rest of the windshield she wasn't a menace on the road.

She rolled down the window and giggled and said Thank you!

He snapped back, "I didn't do it for YOU!"

This is my pet peeve living in the South - people that don't clean their cars off before they leave the house. I'm not talking totally clear, but the big accumulations on the roof, side and back as well as the entire windshield. I've had several near accidents when a big van or SUV with a three inch thick accumulation of (mostly ice) and snow has had it finally come free when the car warmed up and the while sheet came flying towards me, at highway speeds. it's stupid, it's dangerous, and it's lazy. Come on, a broom (they even make special 'snow brooms' for this purpose) and five minutes will get the worst of it, and that's all that's necessary.

MrTango

« Reply #18366 on: December 10, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
In the Minneapolis, MN area, some places got over a foot of snow yesterday.

When I pulled into the parking ramp at work this morning, I was amazed that people would drive with 12+ inches of snow still on the roof of their vehicles.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to brush my car off, but that's why I pay extra for a heated, underground parking space at my apartment.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #18367 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
I'm nominating my husband for a SS award.

B/G: Both of my brothers are divorced, so DH is the only in-law left in the family.

Over Thanksgiving, my parents scheduled a photo shoot for a family picture with a very well known photographer.  I have to admit, this guy was good. 

In the very best picture of the entire family, DH appeared to be standing a bit apart from my brothers and me.  It worked, since DH is a lot taller than my family of shrimps, but my husband HATES the picture because he feels it makes him look "separated" from the rest of the family.

My parents have already offered to pay for a large framed print for each household, at considerable cost (these things aren't cheap!).  DH has told me he will refuse to hang it in the house.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18368 on: December 10, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
In the Minneapolis, MN area, some places got over a foot of snow yesterday.

When I pulled into the parking ramp at work this morning, I was amazed that people would drive with 12+ inches of snow still on the roof of their vehicles.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to brush my car off, but that's why I pay extra for a heated, underground parking space at my apartment.

I live in NJ, and its illegal to drive without clearing off your car. You can be ticketed for it, yet I still see many people who can't be bothered. My feeling is, if you either can't reach or be bothered to clear off the top of your gigantic truck or SUV, you need to be driving something else. I always make sure its all off, unless its impossible to do so, but that's usually just frozen water which melts as the car warms up, and wont' fly off or cause any damage.

I once drove from NJ to VA at Christams, after a big snowstorm, and I was scared of the ice coming off the tops of 18 wheelers!  HUGE chunks that wuld randomly fly off.  None hit me, but it was a bit nerve wracking.  even staying far back didn't mean one wouldn't hit you.

MrTango

« Reply #18369 on: December 10, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
I once drove from NJ to VA at Christams, after a big snowstorm, and I was scared of the ice coming off the tops of 18 wheelers!  HUGE chunks that wuld randomly fly off.  None hit me, but it was a bit nerve wracking.  even staying far back didn't mean one wouldn't hit you.

I always wondered why truck stops didn't have some way of clearing off the roofs of big semi trailers.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #18370 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »
They do. My SIL used to work at a truck stop and she said the busiest time at the truck wash was after a snow. The truckers run their trucks through the truck wash to get rid of the snow.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18371 on: December 10, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »

Over Thanksgiving, my parents scheduled a photo shoot for a family picture with a very well known photographer.  I have to admit, this guy was good. 

In the very best picture of the entire family, DH appeared to be standing a bit apart from my brothers and me.  It worked, since DH is a lot taller than my family of shrimps, but my husband HATES the picture because he feels it makes him look "separated" from the rest of the family.

You know, I don't quite agree.  I don't think your husband was a special snowflake at all. 

If this photographer is really that good, s/he should have realized that there was an unnatural and awkward separation of one person from the rest of the group and corrected that on the spot before that shutter ever clicked.  That's kind of Basic Photography 101.

Height differences can be compensated for in many ways.  One example would be by having some family members slightly seated on a high stool or something.  And then of course there's always the magic of Photoshop for "after fixing".

I think your husband's feelings were hurt and I can kind of see that. :-\

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18372 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »

I agree - it's terrifying to see those big slabs of ice coming off at 60 mph.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18373 on: December 10, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
I have to agree with gamma dishes on the photo issue, BatCity.  Your DH is reasonable to want to appear well in a photograph and it's the photographer's job to avoid such setups or fix them.  A call to the photographer to see if he can pull in your DH with post-processing would be entirely reasonable.  Your DH's desire not to display a photo of himself that elicits bad feelings is also reasonable, and it's dismissive to call him a SS for it.

Virg

misha412

« Reply #18374 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
Okay, I saw a very SS today.

I was in the waiting area of our local Department of Social Services this morning. My fiance had to get some paperwork filed. It was towards lunch time so it was slower as people in the back were going to lunch.

An older lady (OL) (around 70 or so) was waiting with a slightly younger female (YF) (about 50 or so). A DSS employee from the back came out to speak with them. The YF had some paperwork in her hand and started waving it at the DSS employee saying her aunt (OL I guess) doesn't understand this paperwork. The YF then said she didn't understand the paperwork. As she is saying this to the DSS employee, her voice is getting louder and her tone is decidedly curt and rude. Her volume was loud enough to attract the attention of most people in the waiting area as well as the ladies behind the desk. I was sitting less than 10 feet away and heard most of it.

The DSS employee asked her to calm down and please not be rude. The DSS employee was using a calm voice and a reasonable tone. But, this set the YF off like a firecracker. She said something like "I was born in the South and I have never been rude in my life." This was in a very loud voice, shaking her finger in the DSS employee's face, with an even ruder tone than before. She started ranting and raving how she should not have to sit in a waiting area with "these" people. That last part was said with quite a bit of disdain in her voice.

(The people in the waiting room were a good mixture of people from young couples with babies to older people with apparent medical problems and a few in between. Apparently, she though anyone who had to go to DSS was beneath her.)

The DSS employee tried to calm her down, but YF would not shut up. The DSS employeed ended up saying she would get someone from the back and walked away. The YF kept ranting and raving to her aunt about the DSS employee being a liar, rude, etc. I was leaving a few minutes later and heard the YF talking about how she should have to waste her time waiting on anyone.

For what its worth, the aunt looked supremely embarrassed by the YF's behavior.