Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4431394 times)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18375 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
Years ago I had a brand new roommate. I became quite ill, threw up a lot. Lost almost 10 pounds that week. She was the one doing the cooking. Turns out she hadn't washed her produce at all because it was Organic, and she reasoned that meant she didn't have to wash off pesticides, ergo she didn't wash it at all...even if it wasn't to be cooked (veggie tray and a salad, plus she always had a bowl of fruit on the counter).

Oh was I mad.

I got food poisoning from a salad once. It was not fun.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18376 on: December 10, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »
I wash my organic produce MORE vigorously than I wash non-organic produce.  Accumulated pesticide poisoning might kill me eventually but E.coli poisoning could kill me now!

Plus, my organic veggies come direct from the farm.  It is a reasonably small operation so the veggies aren't prewashed the same way grocery store veggies would be.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18377 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
On my way to church yesterday morning, it was snowing some outside.  One person flew by me with his large pickup truck that was partly covered in snow and the front window and others part of my car got his residue of snow and ice.  Good thing I had been running my wipers due to the snow coming down.
A friend of mine stopped at a red light once and notice the woman next to him had only cleared off a little port-hole sized space in the snow on her windshield. How lazy can you get? He was so furious that he hopped out of his car and took the 10 seconds to clear the rest of the windshield she wasn't a menace on the road.

She rolled down the window and giggled and said Thank you!

He snapped back, "I didn't do it for YOU!"

I was nearly hit once by someone driving with just one little spot cleared on their windshield. The guy clearly couldn't see where he was on the road because of the rest of his windshield and windows being iced over, and he swerved out of his lane and into mine. Nearly hit me head-on. The only thing that saved me was the wide shoulder.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #18378 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
SS encounter at Burger King tonight.  I was behind my dad as we were taking our trays to the table, and a teenage boy came in to look at the menu.  Due to the layout of the building, this was a narrow space in front of the counter, with only a railing running parallel to the counter to make it easier to form a line.  There's an unspoken "beginning" and "end" to the line; the line starts and ends at the right, and the beginning is closer to the door while the end is closer to the counter.  (Hope I described that okay.)  We were the only ones there at the time, and this kid came in through the "end" of the line so that my dad, who is a big guy, couldn't easily pass him. 

My dad said, "Excuse me," so that he could get by.  The kid said, "That's all right," and just pushed past him so that he almost lost his grip on his tray. 

deadbody

« Reply #18379 on: December 10, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »
Years ago I had a brand new roommate. I became quite ill, threw up a lot. Lost almost 10 pounds that week. She was the one doing the cooking. Turns out she hadn't washed her produce at all because it was Organic, and she reasoned that meant she didn't have to wash off pesticides, ergo she didn't wash it at all...even if it wasn't to be cooked (veggie tray and a salad, plus she always had a bowl of fruit on the counter).

Oh was I mad.

I got food poisoning from a salad once. It was not fun.

This is why I follow the tennant of the one and only Homer Simpson in all things food related.

"You don't make friends with salad.  No you don't make friends with salad."

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #18380 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:09 AM »

I don't want to argue and don't see any harm in humoring her I offer to do her another one, as she is going on that she doesn't want to get sick with my germs.

I did not tell her that all the Cakes had been put in that nice big stack by me, wearing another pair of the cloves.
I just put the cake back on the pile (she had picked it up with tongues) when she was not looking.

Had she just asked me to do her another using the paper as she doesn't like the gloves, I would say she was not an SS. It was the tone she used to talked to me, like I was dirty and stupid.

I think spell-check should have been picked up with tongs, not tongues!!
picking up a cookie/cake by your tongue is just not right anywhere!

:P ;) :P

though it would be interesting to see   :P
[/quote]

Sorry, had to jump in and say, how does one wear CLOVES? I'm sure you meant GLOVES the first two mistakes, but since someone else pointed out another typo, I wanted to add my .02

elephantschild

« Reply #18381 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
I know someone who got married and her mother later got upset because she didn't feel that the hired photographer had taken enough pictures of her (the mother) with her daughter, and the ones that he did take, she didn't like. So they actually scheduled a re-shoot, the daughter put her wedding dress back on, the mother put her dress back on, they re-did their hair and makeup to match the wedding day and they returned to the outdoor wedding location and had the photographer take a few extra pictures of them together that they could slip into the wedding album.

My MIL tried to make us do this. It didn't work.  >:D

She wanted oodles of static, posed shots, while we didn't and told the photog as much. He did get some of the families posed together, at the church, etc., but at the reception we just wanted lots of candids.

MIL had SIL bring her dress into town and tried to force DH to rerent a tux so she could get a posed shot of just the three of them together. DH refused. I think MIL is still sore about it.

(Thank heavens we had an easygoing photographer. I learned later that MIL kept tracking him down at the reception to drag him off to take posed shots of random family members.  ::))
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

magicdomino

« Reply #18382 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »

I don't want to argue and don't see any harm in humoring her I offer to do her another one, as she is going on that she doesn't want to get sick with my germs.

I did not tell her that all the Cakes had been put in that nice big stack by me, wearing another pair of the cloves.
I just put the cake back on the pile (she had picked it up with tongues) when she was not looking.

Had she just asked me to do her another using the paper as she doesn't like the gloves, I would say she was not an SS. It was the tone she used to talked to me, like I was dirty and stupid.

Sorry, had to jump in and say, how does one wear CLOVES? I'm sure you meant GLOVES the first two mistakes, but since someone else pointed out another typo, I wanted to add my .02
[/quote]

You stick the cloves in the cow tongues first, of course.    ;)

deadbody

« Reply #18383 on: December 11, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »

You stick the cloves in the cow tongues first, of course.    ;)
[/quote]

improves the traction dontchaknow

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #18384 on: December 11, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
While running with the typos is fun, guys, the mods have already asked that it stop.  Please don't get the thread closed.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #18385 on: December 11, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
okay back to topic: Thinking about kids and musical instruments reminded me of the SS parents you have to deal with in school productions (especially Christmas pageants) who are convinced their child(ren) are stars (even if they're in a chorus of 30 other kids) and set up movie-grade recording equipment blocking the aisle or rush down to stand in front of the seated audience and record their little darling's shining moment. Do they really think they'll be giving the footage to producers of "Biography" or "Behind the Music" years from now? Ah yes we can say we knew the little tots before they became Oscar winning superstars... ::) No, your child is not in fact special and his rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" will not get him a record contract!

I used to do the recordings of events at school. I gave up after I had to trash an entire performance recording because of the parent cursing the choir director the whole time.

Oh man! That's awful.

My last high school choir preformance we shared with the elementry school choir(each high school choir got paired with a elementry choir. It was REALLY fun.). Our choir was an all-girls honor group so we were paired with little girls who wanted to join our when they hit high school. Kinda a mentoring thing.

The kids were awesome. No disipline probs at all, and with 1st through 5th grades, that's kinda saying something. The parents on the other hand...

The rules were NO recording devices and no flash photos. Very nice recordings, both audio only and video were done and sold for pretty good prices. After our group's first song we went to sit in a cvouple rows of seats that were marked for us and I ended up in front of a woman who was determined to record her daughter, even if she had to stand almost in the man beside her's lap. The man wasn't pleased. So I got to hear this:

Man:(quietly) Ma'am, please sit down. You aren't supposed to have that camera anyway.
Woman:(loudly) You don't get it... MY daughter is going to be a star, She NEEDS the publicity.
Man:(not as quiet, but pretty close) Then buy a DVD. And sit down! We all want to see our kids too!
Woman:(Louder) My daughter is gonna be a STAR!

This kept on for almost an entire song. Until he quieted her for good.

Woman: You don't get it. My daughter has talent, she's going places! She's a star!
Man: How nice. Mine isn't. In fact, short of a miracle the doctors say she has another year at most. And I want to HEAR her. Now Sit. The. Hell. Down.

And she did. I still can't decide how rude he was, but I know I was considering stranggling the woman by the time it all ended. And my "little sis" (one of the little girls from the choir) was holding her ears.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18386 on: December 11, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Woman: You don't get it. My daughter has talent, she's going places! She's a star!
Man: How nice. Mine isn't. In fact, short of a miracle the doctors say she has another year at most. And I want to HEAR her. Now Sit. The. Hell. Down.

And she did. I still can't decide how rude he was, but I know I was considering stranggling the woman by the time it all ended. And my "little sis" (one of the little girls from the choir) was holding her ears.

He tried polite.  It was time for not so polite.  Except for the cursing, I don't think he was rude.  And I'd even give him a pass for that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18387 on: December 11, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
While running with the typos is fun, guys, the mods have already asked that it stop.  Please don't get the thread closed.

I don't think that will happen. However, the next person who points out typos will not do it again on this forum. Give it a rest, it's not even clever.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

gingerzing

« Reply #18388 on: December 11, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
Just remembered a really funny snowflake from a garage sale a while back.  Said garage sale had be advertised as a fund raiser and that there would be absolutely NO EARLY BIRDS.  (Opening 8AM-3PM) 
Of course, some schmuck and his wife try to come through as we are still setting up at 7:30.  I told the man that he was more than welcome to buy something, but I got to pick three things to go with him...including the flamingo yard ornament made of pink tinsel.  They wandered off quickly. 

But that was not our snowest of flakes. 

Nope, CookBookQueen came in about 8:15AM with a batch of folks. So 15 minutes into the sale. She started looking through the box of cooking magazines and the 2 boxes of cookbooks (mostly hardcovers).  One whole box - and the box of magazines -were all basically brand new that I had gotten from my work, so no cooking stains or anything.  The magazines were listed at 10 cents a piece or 12 for a $1.  The cookbooks were mostly marked between 50 cents to $2 depending on size and cover.  Though a couple were at $3 since they were rather big and super nice.

She picked up one box of the cookbooks and said, "I will give you $2 for the whole box"   :o
Sorry to say, I laughed at her.  No. 
"what do you mean?  There is no way that you will sell these.  $2 is fair.  Besides this is a garage sale, you are SUPPOSE to barter."   
Nope.  But here is my deal for you.  Come back after lunchtime and if we have more than the cooking magazines, I will GIVE you whatever is left in the cookbook boxes for free.

Oddly, she never came back.  And yes, I sold all the cookbooks at the prices they were marked and most of the cooking magazines.    We raised a nice amount for our cause.

nuit93

« Reply #18389 on: December 11, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
Just remembered a really funny snowflake from a garage sale a while back.  Said garage sale had be advertised as a fund raiser and that there would be absolutely NO EARLY BIRDS.  (Opening 8AM-3PM) 
Of course, some schmuck and his wife try to come through as we are still setting up at 7:30.  I told the man that he was more than welcome to buy something, but I got to pick three things to go with him...including the flamingo yard ornament made of pink tinsel.  They wandered off quickly. 

But that was not our snowest of flakes. 

Nope, CookBookQueen came in about 8:15AM with a batch of folks. So 15 minutes into the sale. She started looking through the box of cooking magazines and the 2 boxes of cookbooks (mostly hardcovers).  One whole box - and the box of magazines -were all basically brand new that I had gotten from my work, so no cooking stains or anything.  The magazines were listed at 10 cents a piece or 12 for a $1.  The cookbooks were mostly marked between 50 cents to $2 depending on size and cover.  Though a couple were at $3 since they were rather big and super nice.

She picked up one box of the cookbooks and said, "I will give you $2 for the whole box"   :o
Sorry to say, I laughed at her.  No. 
"what do you mean?  There is no way that you will sell these.  $2 is fair.  Besides this is a garage sale, you are SUPPOSE to barter."   
Nope.  But here is my deal for you.  Come back after lunchtime and if we have more than the cooking magazines, I will GIVE you whatever is left in the cookbook boxes for free.

Oddly, she never came back.  And yes, I sold all the cookbooks at the prices they were marked and most of the cooking magazines.    We raised a nice amount for our cause.

I probably would have taken you up on the flamingo lawn ornament :)