Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5239191 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18510 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
The DMV witnessed snowflake "Ibrokethelawsoiwilldestroystuff"-icus. Woman comes in to register her vehicle because it is in the tow lot for having a counterfeit tag from another state on it. BUT....she has no title, no paperwork proving ownership of the vehicle, so she is told she can't register it without proof of ownership. What does she do? She goes out into the hallway, pushes the elevator button, looks around to see if anyone is watching, and proceeds to donkey kick the glass on the mail chute. The beautiful antique mail chute is shattered. She was unaware that this was all on camera. The tow lot and our other office has been warned to be on the lookout for her. She will now face criminal charges for destruction of government property. Oh yeah, best part? She did this in front of her small child who was with her.

Par for the course, I am afraid.  What probably would make it a classic is if the customer darts in 30 seconds before closing, screaming that they have to get what they need, AND from what little paperwork they have, it is obvious that the car was towed over a week ago and today is the last day to redeem it back before it goes up for auction.  But it is still MY fault that they are going to lose their car.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18511 on: December 20, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »
Shalamar wrote:

"It turned out later that that co-worker was on a diet."

Sounds more like she needed to be on meds or a psychologist's couch.

Virg

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #18512 on: December 20, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
A's grade school policy, which is well stated, is that no students should be dropped off before 845.  School starts at 9am.  Every other Thursday A and I need to leave the house early because the cleaners come at 815.  We get donuts and then hang out in the car down the street from the school.  He can leave at 845.

When I worked the bookfair, I needed to be there at 830 every morning to get ready.  The number of kids already on campus is amazing.  The principal sends home numerous phone messages about this - but no change.  Same with the red zone parkers, white zone parkers, and double parkers.

That policy must be awful for a lot of working parents!

I agree - does the school think that only people who work within 15 minutes drive send their children there?

They have on site daycare. And I can think of a number of moms who make extra money by taking kids in the morning and walking them to school with their own kids and then picking them all up afterwards and keeping them until 5 or 6pm.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Daquiri40

« Reply #18513 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
One of my acquaintances was recently in the same bathroom as three other girls and myself and we were getting ready for the evening. Another asked me to put some music on, so I turned on my iPhone. I have a bad habit of leaving the same song on repeat, and the one that popped up happened to be a Taylor Swift love song. A couple of run-throughs in and acquaintance has gone quiet and has started sort of slamming cosmetic utensils around. I barely register this as I'm trying to get dressed. She yanks on her clothes and is sighing and acting generally exasperated. Finally she explodes and says "UGH, can you change it to something else besides that stupid love song?! Is that all you have on your [bleeping] iPhone?!" and before I can open my mouth to say that I didn't realize it was on repeat she stomps out. A friend informed me that the girl had broken up with her boyfriend two days before and apparently it had been quite a scene. :/ Had I known I would have tried to find something better but...I didn't know.

The SS part is that she expected you to read her mind.  Politely saying, "did you know that song is repeating?" or "Can you play something else please?" is non-SS.

I had a friend who broke up with her boyfriend and got upset when another co-worker told us plans for her wedding and was excited about it.  How dare she be happy when friend was so unhappy?  Sob!!

Shalamar

« Reply #18514 on: December 20, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
That reminds me of when I was on another forum's thread that was talking about, among other things, food.  One poster said "Can we please talk about something else?  You know that I have an eating disorder, and this topic is really distressing me." 

At least she was polite about it, but c'mon.  Maybe it's just me, but I visit so many forums, I have trouble keeping track of who's who.  So, even if I'd known in the first place that she had an eating disorder (I didn't), I probably wouldn't have remembered.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18515 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
Backing up out of a parking space isn't hard. But it is not as safe as pulling forward out of a parking space.

When you back out of a parking space, there could be pedestrians that you can't see, or small children darting about or a stray grocery cart or the like. If you drive a small car and end up having to back out of a space with much larger cars on both sides, it is very, very difficult to see if there is anyone walking down the aisle or any other cars are in motion. You have a very limited field of vision when backing out of the tunnel formed by mini-vans on both sides.

If you back into the parking spot, it is a tad more difficult because you need to be careful that you don't hit the cars on either side, but there is less of a chance that someone will be walking behind the car.

That's why some of us prefer spaces where we can pull through two spaces. All the ease and convenience of pulling forward in to a parking spot, plus the safety advantage of pulling forward out of the parking spot. You can see where you are going and are much less likely to hit someone or something.

The chief problem with backing into a space is that other drivers frequently don't like waiting for you to back in slowly and get impatient.

Someone pulling through in a busy parking lot hit my former boss' brand new car head on as she pulled into a parking space.  So if you're going to pull through, don't do it in a busy parking lot.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18516 on: December 20, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
Bits and pieces of background on DH's grandmother have been posted on other threads, but here it is all in one place:

[bg]FIL always has and always will put his mother first, over MIL.  This may be correlated with Grandma being a huge special snowflake.  She gets her way most of the time, and nobody's allowed to say boo to her or she'll throw a huge PA fit and FIL will go all crusader to fix whatever is making his mother unhappy.  Last year Grandma pulled the "It's going to be my last Christmas!" thing again (link to my previous thread - be sure to see the updates too) and DH went along with it but took her at her word.  Not surprisingly, this year she expected us to come up to see her for her "last Christmas" again, and was taken aback when DH pointed out that last year was her "last Christmas" so we made definite plans to be home this year.  We stuck to our guns and now the plan is for FIL to drive the eight-hour round trip to pick up Grandma and bring her back here to stay with him and MIL (note: Grandma and MIL pretty much hate each other) for a week over the holiday.

Second half of the background: DH's two sisters live in town near us, but we rarely see them.  We get along fine with the middle sister (just don't have anything in common) but his oldest sister royally messes up her life on a regular basis.  She has awful taste in abusive guys half her age, and her kids (my niece and nephew) - who are special snowflakes themselves - don't want anything to do with her as long as she has any of her user boyfriends around.  SIL1 only keeps in contact with MIL when she wants something, but MIL tries to keep a line open.[/bg]

Because of all this mess, MIL was basically being forced into hosting Christmas this year and was not happy about it.  (She hates cooking and entertaining and hates how her MIL, DH's Grandma, criticizes everything she does.)  If she hosted Christmas, she'd have to make it a "whole family" thing, which would have to include SIL1 and her current boy toy and Niece and her screaming brat toddler (not his fault, honestly, but still) and Nephew who would rather sit and ignore everyone and play on his phone and Grandma being upset the world wasn't revolving around her and it would have been a huge mess with the potential for a lot of hurt feelings, at the expense of MIL's nerves.

I actually kind of like hosting and needed an excuse to really get the house clean anyway, so I volunteered to have MIL, FIL, and Grandma over to our house on Christmas day.  Since MIL's not the hostess, she's not obligated to invite SIL1, and since we rarely see SIL1 and frequently see the ILs, it's natural to make it an "us and the parents" thing and not "us and the entire extended family."  We do plan to invite SIL2, but everyone knows not to mention it to SIL1 and if SIL1 gets mad it won't bother me because we don't see her anyway.

The special snowflake here is Grandma.  When I offered to host, I told MIL what I would be doing: we're having Christmas morning with just our family, then everyone can come over in the early afternoon and we'll have a buffet of "heavy appetizer"-type food to nibble on while we hang out, so there will be no big formal dinner and no huge cooking marathon and no specific timetable.  Grandma said this "won't work for her" - she expects someone to provide a full Christmas spread, complete with spiral-cut ham and roasted turkey and side dishes and fine china, because it's what she would have done if we had gone to her house (true) and therefore if we won't let her host we have to do the same.

Since this was relayed through MIL, I let her have to break the bad news to Grandma  >:D  Sorry, Grandma, but I'm hosting this year and this is what I'm choosing to do!  I'm trying to figure out a menu I can mostly prepare ahead of time (or things that don't take much prep time anyway), and I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen all day when I could be relaxing.  I don't know why Grandma is so upset - she's in her 90's now and eats less than my toddler anyway.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #18517 on: December 20, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
^^^^ Okay, with that last story, my eye is starting to twitch.  I might have to go and lie down awhile.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18518 on: December 20, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »
Good for you for sticking to your guns!  *Somebody* has to stand up to Grandma. 

Shalamar

« Reply #18519 on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
was taken aback when DH pointed out that last year was her "last Christmas" so we made definite plans to be home this year.

Off-topic, but I'm reminded of a scene in I,Claudius:

Lentulus: (kissing Caligula's hand) Your recovery is a miracle!
Caligula: But you prayed for it, Lentulus.
Lentulus: Oh, night and day! But prayers are not always heard.
Caligula: But yours were special, so I understand. You offered your life to the Gods in place of mine. That was extremely noble!
Lentulus: (expecting a reward) It's true, I did.
Caligula: And what are you going to do about it?
Lentulus: Do about it? What do you mean?
Caligula: Well, I'm still here, and so are you. But we oughtn't both be here. Should we not give the Gods the things we promise them? You're in danger of the crime of perjury, Lentulus. Think about it. But not too long- Gods won't wait forever, that I can assure you only too well.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #18520 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
was taken aback when DH pointed out that last year was her "last Christmas" so we made definite plans to be home this year.

Off-topic, but I'm reminded of a scene in I,Claudius:

Lentulus: (kissing Caligula's hand) Your recovery is a miracle!
Caligula: But you prayed for it, Lentulus.
Lentulus: Oh, night and day! But prayers are not always heard.
Caligula: But yours were special, so I understand. You offered your life to the Gods in place of mine. That was extremely noble!
Lentulus: (expecting a reward) It's true, I did.
Caligula: And what are you going to do about it?
Lentulus: Do about it? What do you mean?
Caligula: Well, I'm still here, and so are you. But we oughtn't both be here. Should we not give the Gods the things we promise them? You're in danger of the crime of perjury, Lentulus. Think about it. But not too long- Gods won't wait forever, that I can assure you only too well.

Oh yes, Caligula, quite possibly the original special snowflake!  Don't want to get off track, but my favorite scene with Caligula was John Hurt standing with the head of his young and probably consumptive cousin announcing to one and all "I have cured [kid's name] coughing!"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18521 on: December 20, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
I wonder if all special snowflakes deep down inside actually want to live up to the example Caligula set.

Jocelyn

« Reply #18522 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
  I'm trying to figure out a menu I can mostly prepare ahead of time (or things that don't take much prep time anyway), and I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen all day when I could be relaxing. 
I gift you with the menu of a party I attended last night: a barbequed brisket, sliced, in a roasting pan, meatballs from Sam's Club cooked according to the bag's instructions in a crock-pot, and a big basket of sandwich rolls, cut into 2" long slices. Assorted other things like a veggie tray, a cheese tray, olives, pickles, and some chip and dip. And an arrangement of cupcakes frosted to look like Santa. (store bought)
Everyone just raved about the brisket and meatball sandwiches.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18523 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
I wonder if all special snowflakes deep down inside actually want to live up to the example Caligula set.
Funny story about Caligula.  His actual Latin name was Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.  "Caligula" was a nickname, given to him by the soldiers that his father commanded.  Little Gaius was very proud of his footwear, miniature copies of the soldiers' caligae, the hobnailed sandal-boots that they wore.  Caligula is a diminutive of that.

Yes, children, the most feared and terrible of the Roman emperors has been immortalized as "Bootsie."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nora

« Reply #18524 on: December 21, 2012, 05:13:14 AM »
Funny story about Caligula.  His actual Latin name was Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.  "Caligula" was a nickname, given to him by the soldiers that his father commanded.  Little Gaius was very proud of his footwear, miniature copies of the soldiers' caligae, the hobnailed sandal-boots that they wore.  Caligula is a diminutive of that.

Yes, children, the most feared and terrible of the Roman emperors has been immortalized as "Bootsie."

*Dies laughing*
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.