Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423529 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18540 on: December 21, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
I was once at Disneyland with a friend and as it was during the summer, there were a lot of teens there, and many of them thought nothing of jumping in lines.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18541 on: December 21, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
*snerk* "Bootsie"...That reminds me of a neighbor who had a Neapolitan Mastiff named "Thor", but neighbor's wife always called the dog "Pupper-Doodle".   ::)

Then there's me, with my six pound poodle I refer to as "mommy's manly man"

Or me: Valentine is the Puppygator and Hogan is Big Boy.

Banshee is Baby Girl (girl is pronounced more like geel) and Colossus is Bubba (these are 100+lbs Akitas).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Poppea

« Reply #18542 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
Another library Special Snowflake.

A man came into the library yesterday and asked me "where the science journals are". Trying to narrow it down, I asked him which journal he was looking for.

Man: ::condescending tone:: Just the area with all the science journals.
Me: There's isn't a single area with all the science journals. The paper copies we have are shelved in with the rest of the collection.
Man: How can that be?!
Me: ...they're shelved by call number.
Man: No, they're all supposed to be in one place! That's how it was when I was a student here! [note: I work in a university library]
Me: When was that?
Man: About 10 years ago.
Me: Yeah, things have changed since then.
Man: ::sigh:: Okay, just tell me where I can find [name of science journal].
Me: ::looks it up in the catalogue:: I'm afraid we don't have a paper copy of that. Just the electronic version.
Man: That's crazy! Look up [another science journal].
Me: Same thing, I'm afraid.
Man: What, did you just throw away the paper copies?
Me: Probably. In the last 10 years, things like journals have become mostly digital. Some of them don't even print paper versions anymore. If we have access to the digitized versions, the library chose not to keep the paper copies for space reasons.
Man: ::heaving a great sigh:: Well, I'll just look at the digital versions then.
Me: Do you have a student or staff ID?
Man: No.
Me: I'm sorry, you won't be able to access our online resources. They're only available to students and members of the faculty and staff.
Man: That's completely ridiculous!
Me: Not really. Databases are expensive, and students pay for access with their tuition. Non-students don't pay tuition and so aren't given access.
Man: That's completely STUPID! Can you pull up the journals for me?
Me: No, I'm sorry.
Man: USELESS! ::walks out of library::

I mean, I get that he was frustrated that he couldn't get the journals he wanted, but that didn't give him the right to be rude to me because the library hadn't stayed exactly as it was in 2002 (his tone throughout was VERY short and annoyed). Then he verged into SS territory by getting angry that he couldn't get into the library databases (dude, it's NOT A PUBLIC LIBRARY. The rules are different!).

At least it made the day a little interesting, the library is still open even though nearly all the students have gone home for the break, and the place is absolutely dead.

Very interesting.  At both the Universities I have attended alumni have the ability use the library with an alumni card or apply for a library day pass.  I thought it was a universal privelege that was extended tby all universities to alumni.  Although if that's true of your institution, I might not have bothered informing him.

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/using/access/alumni.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:06:22 PM by Anthera »

Adelaide

« Reply #18543 on: December 21, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
There's a new girl in my martial arts class who hates any sort of contact or anyone putting any energy into drills. She's done a different martial art for YEARS so I really don't understand why she's like this, but she insists that no one should grab her or come at her with any sort of force whatsoever. She told our instructor numerous times (in front of me, but without looking at me) that she can't stand working with me because I put some aggression in it. The instructor just looked at her and said "...right, because obviously rapists and muggers are going to be gentle." He then told her to actually go through the motions of hitting me back with more oomph/seriousness instead of just half-heartedly pantomiming the movements. She said "Well obviously that's not how I'm going to do it on the street!"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18544 on: December 21, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
Update on the Mom who said I was excluding her child by calling our party today an end of term party rather than a Christmas party. (I have kids who do not celebrate Christmas in my class).

She came today with a present for every child. A bag of M&M with some story about how the M told the story of Christ. The boy handed them out - and the kids put them directly in their backpacks because plain M&M's have peanut warnings. Mom asked me if he handed them out. I said Yes. She asked if I saw the verse, I said yes and went to take care of things I needed to do. I'm pretty sure she was spoiling for a fight on this. No need I followed the rules as they stand.

I did give my principal a heads up in case a parent calls to complain thinking I handed them out. But the kids that know their parents wouldn't like it either gave the present to a seatmate or tore the message off. I saw them in the recycling bin.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18545 on: December 21, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
Sounds like a real piece of work, that one.  In the elementary schools I think they're dubbed holiday parties these days.  And thankfully I haven't heard of too many people raising a holy ruckus about a "war on Christmas" or prayer in schools, thankfully. 

There is a religious club that meets at the school but they're not sponsored by the school at all, it's simply the meeting place.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shea

« Reply #18546 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Another library Special Snowflake.

<snip>

Very interesting.  At both the Universities I have attended alumni have the ability use the library with an alumni card or apply for a library day pass.  I thought it was a universal privelege that was extended tby all universities to alumni.  Although if that's true of your institution, I might not have bothered informing him.

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/using/access/alumni.html

Yes, I think that's true at some universities. Not at this one, though.

And on the same subject, I have photographic evidence of further SSyness among the student body:

(In case you can't read the writing, it says "I pay $26,000 a year, and i get a 2 day loan."

Well aren't you a very special fluffy snowflake, Mr. or Ms. Student. You have the same borrowing rules as everyone else!

I'm not sure how s/he is paying $26,000/year, incidentally. As an international student at this university, I paid about $10,000/year, and international students pay the highest tuition rates.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18547 on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
Maybe I'm the SS here.

[BG]I work in a government office in the US.[/BG]

Our (very Catholic) clerk put up Christmas decorations in the reception area.  I don't care about the tree - Christians "borrowed" the evergreen tree symbolism from the pagans in the first place - but I objected to the angels.  Actually, my (P/A) Buddhist coworker who has to look at those angels all day long complained to me and I said I would respectfully raise the issue to the Powers That Be.  Our acting manager (still waiting for that position to be filled permanently) did not want to act unless there was a written policy.  That's fine.  I know he is uncomfortable with conflict.  I asked the division secretary if there was a policy on religious displays.  Turns out, she's Catholic too and loves angels, so she doesn't see a problem.

She said, "It is a personal preference."

I said, "No, it is a government office, not a church.  If she wants to put the angels on her desk where every visitor is not forced to see them, that is her personal preference.  Decorating a government reception area with religious symbols is a violation of federal law."

I sent the manager and the division secretary the link to the ACLU site which explains why this is a violation of federal law.

I haven't said anything to anyone else and I did not mention my objections to our clerk (who put the angel display up).

I thought I was alerting management to a problem, but it seems that I am the problem for raising the issue.  I dropped it already but I'm getting stink eye from the division secretary now.  I anticipate my travel requests will be bounced back repeatedly for insignificant reasons this coming year.  :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Jocelyn

« Reply #18548 on: December 21, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
I mean, I get that he was frustrated that he couldn't get the journals he wanted, but that didn't give him the right to be rude to me because the library hadn't stayed exactly as it was in 2002 

I was a doc student in 2002. The conditions this man is describing had vanished by then. I'd bet it's closer to 20 years since he was in an academic library.

JoW

« Reply #18549 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
My area got the blizzard Wednesday-Thursday, Dec 19-20.  While I was running the snow blower to get the snow out of my driveway I remembered this story.  I donít know if it fits best here or in the Brain Hurt thread.

My city has a law that bans use of outdoor power equipment in residential areas early in the morning.  I forget the details, but the intent is to keep people from blasting their neighbors out of bed by mowing their lawns at dawn.  Someone complained that the law was not being enforced in the winter.  You see, her job started later in the day and she had a toddler who was cranky if he didnít get enough sleep.  She wanted to ban use of snow blowers before about 9am.  If it snowed overnight before a work day she thought we should clear our driveways by hand so she and her child could sleep a little later. 

I heard the story on the early morning local news on a snowy day.  It was read by a guy whose work day starts before 5am.  He said he had run his snow blower to clear his driveway at 3:30am.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #18550 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:07 AM »
Maybe I'm the SS here.

[BG]I work in a government office in the US.[/BG]

Our (very Catholic) clerk put up Christmas decorations in the reception area.  I don't care about the tree - Christians "borrowed" the evergreen tree symbolism from the pagans in the first place - but I objected to the angels.  Actually, my (P/A) Buddhist coworker who has to look at those angels all day long complained to me and I said I would respectfully raise the issue to the Powers That Be.  Our acting manager (still waiting for that position to be filled permanently) did not want to act unless there was a written policy.  That's fine.  I know he is uncomfortable with conflict.  I asked the division secretary if there was a policy on religious displays.  Turns out, she's Catholic too and loves angels, so she doesn't see a problem.

She said, "It is a personal preference."

I said, "No, it is a government office, not a church.  If she wants to put the angels on her desk where every visitor is not forced to see them, that is her personal preference.  Decorating a government reception area with religious symbols is a violation of federal law."

I sent the manager and the division secretary the link to the ACLU site which explains why this is a violation of federal law.

I haven't said anything to anyone else and I did not mention my objections to our clerk (who put the angel display up).

I thought I was alerting management to a problem, but it seems that I am the problem for raising the issue.  I dropped it already but I'm getting stink eye from the division secretary now.  I anticipate my travel requests will be bounced back repeatedly for insignificant reasons this coming year.  :-\

You're certainly not a SS. You want the law to be respected. The clerk and division secretary put their own preferences above the law. That makes them the SS.

Ereine

« Reply #18551 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:05 AM »
Very slight Special Snowflakes:

I was at a craft museum yesterday. Every Christmas local doll artists have a window display exhibition on some theme (it was very pretty, this year's theme is old-fashioned Christmas). While we were at museum's shop three separate older women came there and were dismayed and annoyed that they were out of postcards of that display because they just had to send them to their friends (as Christmas cards, I presume). I get that they were disappointed but if the museum is out of the cards they can't just print more before Christmas and besides if they had have those particular cards why did they wait until it was too late to send them anyway (the mail won't move anywhere before the 27th).

weeblewobble

« Reply #18552 on: December 22, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »
The DMV witnessed snowflake "Ibrokethelawsoiwilldestroystuff"-icus. Woman comes in to register her vehicle because it is in the tow lot for having a counterfeit tag from another state on it. BUT....she has no title, no paperwork proving ownership of the vehicle, so she is told she can't register it without proof of ownership. What does she do? She goes out into the hallway, pushes the elevator button, looks around to see if anyone is watching, and proceeds to donkey kick the glass on the mail chute. The beautiful antique mail chute is shattered. She was unaware that this was all on camera. The tow lot and our other office has been warned to be on the lookout for her. She will now face criminal charges for destruction of government property. Oh yeah, best part? She did this in front of her small child who was with her.

Oh, charming. Poor kid.

I do not understand people who think, "I will emphasize my point with my Hulk-like rage!" 

Jocelyn

« Reply #18553 on: December 22, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »
I do not understand people who think, "I will emphasize my point with my Hulk-like rage!"
Well, it worked for the Angevin kings of England... >:D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18554 on: December 22, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »