Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5554043 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18555 on: December 22, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
I can't read it because I'm not a member, but what little of it I could see made me shake my head.  ;D

I'll never go out on the few days before Christmas again...not if I can help it.  People zooming through the parking lot, glaring and gesturing, cutting people off...

I almost got run down twice, and I was paying attention!  But the one that really burned me up was this guy who was crossing through parking lot traffic.  I was in my car and ready to turn, but I waited for him to go.  He just stood there, even though there was no one else close enough to him to prevent his crossing.  So, I thought to myself, "Fine, you're just gonna stand there," and started forward.  He quickly jumped off the curb, started walking, and I stopped.  He then made eye contact, and actually slowed down.  I think he was trying to put me in my place, or something.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18556 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73730514/

First letter.

The story is only accessible with a paid subscription.

I don't have a subscription and I could read it.  You have to exit the first time and then go back in, and then it should be available.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18557 on: December 22, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

First letter.

I don't have a subscription and I could read it.  You have to exit the first time and then go back in, and then it should be available.

I didn't even have to do that.  First time, right in.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18558 on: December 22, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »

First letter.

I can read it just fine. And that couple were quite snowflaky! I guess the world is supposed to revolve around them...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

doodlemor

« Reply #18559 on: December 22, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »

First letter.

Here is a link to Ask Amy in the Anchorage Daily News.  I started reading it there because I don't want to pay for a subscription to the Tribune.  They publish all three letters, too.

http://www.adn.com/2012/12/22/2728164/ask-amy-candy-sparks-not-so-sweet.html

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18560 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
If you go to her website, she posts all of her letters there too

http://www.amydickinson.com/

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18561 on: December 22, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »

First letter.

I read it okay and I haven't paid anything.  Are you sure?

PeterM

« Reply #18562 on: December 22, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »
I can read it just fine. And that couple were quite snowflaky! I guess the world is supposed to revolve around them...

I have to wonder if the letter was written by the dentist in Iowa who fired an employee because she was too attractive, and thus too tempting.

MerryCat

« Reply #18563 on: December 22, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
I haven't paid either, but I can read it fine.

The gist of it, for those who can't, is that the LW's wife works has a co-worker who puts out candy. The wife is unable to say no to the candy and is gaining weight. She wants the CW to stop putting out candy and put out healthy snacks instead. CW refuses to oblige, so Wife takes it up with the office manager, who refuses to get involved. Wife tries to get other co-workers invoved, but they refuse too.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18564 on: December 22, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »

The gist of it, for those who can't, is that the LW's wife works has a co-worker who puts out candy. The wife is unable to say no to the candy and is gaining weight. She wants the CW to stop putting out candy and put out healthy snacks instead. CW refuses to oblige, so Wife takes it up with the office manager, who refuses to get involved. Wife tries to get other co-workers invoved, but they refuse too.

Why doesn't LWW bring in her own healthy treats?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18565 on: December 22, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

Please stop...you're making much too much sense

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #18566 on: December 22, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »

because then she (LWW) would eat the healthy snack and the candy, thus getting even chubbier  >:D
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Coruscation

« Reply #18567 on: December 22, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »

Perhaps, if asked nicely, the coworker might be prevailed upon to smack LW's wife's hand with a ruler everytime it came near the candy? I would but I'm extra nice that way.  >:D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18568 on: December 22, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
Maybe I'm the SS here.

[BG]I work in a government office in the US.[/BG]

Our (very Catholic) clerk put up Christmas decorations in the reception area.  I don't care about the tree - Christians "borrowed" the evergreen tree symbolism from the pagans in the first place - but I objected to the angels.  Actually, my (P/A) Buddhist coworker who has to look at those angels all day long complained to me and I said I would respectfully raise the issue to the Powers That Be.  Our acting manager (still waiting for that position to be filled permanently) did not want to act unless there was a written policy.  That's fine.  I know he is uncomfortable with conflict.  I asked the division secretary if there was a policy on religious displays.  Turns out, she's Catholic too and loves angels, so she doesn't see a problem.

She said, "It is a personal preference."

I said, "No, it is a government office, not a church.  If she wants to put the angels on her desk where every visitor is not forced to see them, that is her personal preference.  Decorating a government reception area with religious symbols is a violation of federal law."

I sent the manager and the division secretary the link to the ACLU site which explains why this is a violation of federal law.

I haven't said anything to anyone else and I did not mention my objections to our clerk (who put the angel display up).

I thought I was alerting management to a problem, but it seems that I am the problem for raising the issue.  I dropped it already but I'm getting stink eye from the division secretary now.  I anticipate my travel requests will be bounced back repeatedly for insignificant reasons this coming year.  :-\

They were the snowflakes here for violating the law and whining when they were called on it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #18569 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »

I was wondering how someone gains so much weight from three pieces of candy that it can actually be attributed to the candy.  (I'm assuming these are small pieces -- Hershey's kisses, Jolly ranchers, peppermints, etc. -- and not full-sized candy bars.)  A Hershey's kiss, for example, has approximately 20 calories, so we're talking 60 calories per day.  It would take about two months of eating three per day to gain only one pound.  She could take a brisk daily walk around the block for 20 minutes and easily burn off 60 extra calories.

Sounds like the wife is eating other snacks than just the candy.