News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 29, 2015, 11:12:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6629123 times)

dawnfire

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18570 on: December 23, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
I haven't paid either, but I can read it fine.

The gist of it, for those who can't, is that the LW's wife works has a co-worker who puts out candy. The wife is unable to say no to the candy and is gaining weight. She wants the CW to stop putting out candy and put out healthy snacks instead. CW refuses to oblige, so Wife takes it up with the office manager, who refuses to get involved. Wife tries to get other co-workers invoved, but they refuse too.

but then she'll be complaining that she's being assulted by the co-worker.  :)  >:D

Why doesn't LWW bring in her own healthy treats?

Perhaps, if asked nicely, the coworker might be prevailed upon to smack LW's wife's hand with a ruler everytime it came near the candy? I would but I'm extra nice that way.  >:D

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18571 on: December 24, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
DH just got a text from his stepbrother that he and his 2 kids will be coming over to our place for Christmas dinner. So with a day's notice the number of guests has expanded from 4 to 7. Oh, and SBIL needs a detailed description of the meal because his kids are really picky. And directions to the nearest McDonald's in case our menu is unacceptable and they need to pick something up on the way.  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

nuit93

« Reply #18572 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
DH just got a text from his stepbrother that he and his 2 kids will be coming over to our place for Christmas dinner. So with a day's notice the number of guests has expanded from 4 to 7. Oh, and SBIL needs a detailed description of the meal because his kids are really picky. And directions to the nearest McDonald's in case our menu is unacceptable and they need to pick something up on the way.  ::)

I'm guessing that giving them directions back to their house would be in bad form? ;)

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #18573 on: December 24, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
I'd send him directions to McDonald's but not your menu.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Bexx27

« Reply #18574 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I'd send him directions to McDonald's but not your menu.

DH left him a message with our menu and suggested he bring a dish to share that his kids will like. McDonald's might just be my holiday hill to die on.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #18575 on: December 24, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Not all McDonald's are open on Christmas.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

magician5

« Reply #18576 on: December 24, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
Sending them to a "closed on Christmas", dark and deserted McDonald's might be both wickedly funny and a real lesson-getter-across.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Rohanna

« Reply #18577 on: December 24, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nuit93

« Reply #18578 on: December 24, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

mmswm

« Reply #18579 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

I admit to being the world's pickiest eater and even I can generally find something to eat at holiday dinners.  The only thing that stops me is if the host can't promise that there's a tomato free dish.  I have life-threatening reactions to even the smallest exposures, so even a small amount of cross contamination can be deadly for me.  Of course, I know this, and generally make sure I've either eaten something beforehand, or discussed my needs with the host long before the actual event. If they can't be accommodated, then I have no issues abstaining from the meal until a later time.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

geekette

« Reply #18580 on: December 24, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »

I'm the opposite, despite all the attempts of my father to train me to the contrary. I'm very picky about my food and I loathe most meat. I hate the texture and I don't like how it tastes. I also don't like most berries or several kinds of fruit, including tomatoes, and I sadly have no tolerance for spice (I love curry, but eating even mild stuff brings tears to my eyes :().  I can't just eat the veggies (which I love); most people only make enough for them to be a side-dish for everyone, so if I filled myself up on them no one else would get any.

All that said, however, my parents would have never let me get away with refusing food that was put on my plate, at home or as a guest, and they'd make sure to put some of everything on my plate. I'd sit there with my serving of the roast mutton I hate and would finish it, no matter how long it took me.  ...It just might have taken me two hours.
Little-Geekette was a very special snowflake when it came to food. Grown-Geekette is only marginally better - I still hate it all, but if you serve it to me I'll eat it in a reasonable time frame... Well, most of it... :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:27:16 PM by geekette »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18581 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

POD

My Sis is having a problem because our cousins' kids eat things like nuggets at holiday meals. (With one of them we are dealing with the effects of allergies limiting the food he feels safe eating). It wouldn't be an issue except the hosts are planning meals were all the kids eat nuggets and mac and cheese and aren't offered  real food. Loren and Brett would rather the real food. 

This is the opposite of how cousins and us were raised. The only time I remember anyone eating something completely different was when we had crab/shrimp boils or gumbo. If we didn't have some finned fish with it, I would be given a sandwich, burger, or personal pizza because I'm allergic to gulf coast shell fish. (They would put some rice aside for me when they made gumbo - because I love rice). I can and did eat lobster at lobster boils on PEI.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18582 on: December 24, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
One year surrounded by all that delicious food, my niece ate a small tin of corn for Christmas lunch. Her mother wasn't fussed, it was niece's loss. No fuss was made. I was quite impressed with my SILs reaction.

Victoria

catgal

« Reply #18583 on: December 24, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
It sounds like Bexx27's SBIL invited himself and his children to her house for Christmas dinner.  Then demands to know what is on the menu to see if it is good enough.  How rude, especially for a holiday dinner when the menu was panned without the anticipation that SBIL be there.  This is a perfect time to use "that won't be possible".
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Bexx27

« Reply #18584 on: December 24, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
It sounds like Bexx27's SBIL invited himself and his children to her house for Christmas dinner.  Then demands to know what is on the menu to see if it is good enough.  How rude, especially for a holiday dinner when the menu was panned without the anticipation that SBIL be there.  This is a perfect time to use "that won't be possible".

Yes, pretty much, except we had initially invited him when we planned to have Christmas here about a month ago. At that time he said he wasn't sure because he didn't know yet whether the kids would be with him or what they'd want to do. So it wasn't completely out of the blue, but we'd assumed he wasn't coming.

He is still welcome (just not with McDonald's bags!) because he and his kids are going through a tough time with custody battles and it's possible he really didn't know until today if he could get the kids. My DD also loves seeing her cousins. There will be plenty of food, so that's not an issue. I've just worked hard putting a nice meal together (nothing fancy or exotic, very traditional and kid-friendly) and I don't want the occasion marred by fast food (not to mention my 3-year-old's reaction to not having a happy meal herself.) I don't care if the kids make a meal of crackers and cheese and dinner rolls. Heck, I'd even cook them a box of mac n cheese.  ;)