Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5634317 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18570 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
The gist of it, for those who can't, is that the LW's wife works has a co-worker who puts out candy. The wife is unable to say no to the candy and is gaining weight. She wants the CW to stop putting out candy and put out healthy snacks instead. CW refuses to oblige, so Wife takes it up with the office manager, who refuses to get involved. Wife tries to get other co-workers invoved, but they refuse too.

I was wondering how someone gains so much weight from three pieces of candy that it can actually be attributed to the candy.  (I'm assuming these are small pieces -- Hershey's kisses, Jolly ranchers, peppermints, etc. -- and not full-sized candy bars.)  A Hershey's kiss, for example, has approximately 20 calories, so we're talking 60 calories per day.  It would take about two months of eating three per day to gain only one pound.  She could take a brisk daily walk around the block for 20 minutes and easily burn off 60 extra calories.

Sounds like the wife is eating other snacks than just the candy.
Given that the husband is the LW, I wonder if she's directing the blame toward her CWs to keep him from suspecting that stash of Milky Way bars in her desk drawer...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #18571 on: December 22, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
The gist of it, for those who can't, is that the LW's wife works has a co-worker who puts out candy. The wife is unable to say no to the candy and is gaining weight. She wants the CW to stop putting out candy and put out healthy snacks instead. CW refuses to oblige, so Wife takes it up with the office manager, who refuses to get involved. Wife tries to get other co-workers invoved, but they refuse too.

I was wondering how someone gains so much weight from three pieces of candy that it can actually be attributed to the candy.  (I'm assuming these are small pieces -- Hershey's kisses, Jolly ranchers, peppermints, etc. -- and not full-sized candy bars.)  A Hershey's kiss, for example, has approximately 20 calories, so we're talking 60 calories per day.  It would take about two months of eating three per day to gain only one pound.  She could take a brisk daily walk around the block for 20 minutes and easily burn off 60 extra calories.

Sounds like the wife is eating other snacks than just the candy.
Given that the husband is the LW, I wonder if she's directing the blame toward her CWs to keep him from suspecting that stash of Milky Way bars in her desk drawer...

We are thinking alike here.   :)

And I rethought my calculations -- she's eating the candies on workdays (i.e., only 5 days a week, not 7).  At that rate, it would take about 11 weeks -- almost 3 months -- to gain a single pound.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #18572 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
I also wouldn't be surprised if she was eating a lot more than three!  She might be complaining to her husband about the temptation as a way to explain some weight gain (or a failure to lose weight), and when he asks how many she's eating, she says "three" so that it sounds like a normal, non-greedy, reasonable amount.  When really it might be 10 or something.

greencat

« Reply #18573 on: December 23, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
I strongly suspect that the LW's Wife's coworkers spend some time privately commenting on the greedy coworker that eats all the candy they buy...

dawnfire

« Reply #18574 on: December 23, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
I haven't paid either, but I can read it fine.

but then she'll be complaining that she's being assulted by the co-worker.  :)  >:D

Why doesn't LWW bring in her own healthy treats?

Perhaps, if asked nicely, the coworker might be prevailed upon to smack LW's wife's hand with a ruler everytime it came near the candy? I would but I'm extra nice that way.  >:D

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18575 on: December 24, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
DH just got a text from his stepbrother that he and his 2 kids will be coming over to our place for Christmas dinner. So with a day's notice the number of guests has expanded from 4 to 7. Oh, and SBIL needs a detailed description of the meal because his kids are really picky. And directions to the nearest McDonald's in case our menu is unacceptable and they need to pick something up on the way.  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

nuit93

« Reply #18576 on: December 24, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
DH just got a text from his stepbrother that he and his 2 kids will be coming over to our place for Christmas dinner. So with a day's notice the number of guests has expanded from 4 to 7. Oh, and SBIL needs a detailed description of the meal because his kids are really picky. And directions to the nearest McDonald's in case our menu is unacceptable and they need to pick something up on the way.  ::)

I'm guessing that giving them directions back to their house would be in bad form? ;)

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #18577 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
I'd send him directions to McDonald's but not your menu.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18578 on: December 24, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
I'd send him directions to McDonald's but not your menu.

DH left him a message with our menu and suggested he bring a dish to share that his kids will like. McDonald's might just be my holiday hill to die on.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #18579 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
Not all McDonald's are open on Christmas.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

magician5

« Reply #18580 on: December 24, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
Sending them to a "closed on Christmas", dark and deserted McDonald's might be both wickedly funny and a real lesson-getter-across.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Rohanna

« Reply #18581 on: December 24, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nuit93

« Reply #18582 on: December 24, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

mmswm

« Reply #18583 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

I admit to being the world's pickiest eater and even I can generally find something to eat at holiday dinners.  The only thing that stops me is if the host can't promise that there's a tomato free dish.  I have life-threatening reactions to even the smallest exposures, so even a small amount of cross contamination can be deadly for me.  Of course, I know this, and generally make sure I've either eaten something beforehand, or discussed my needs with the host long before the actual event. If they can't be accommodated, then I have no issues abstaining from the meal until a later time.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

geekette

« Reply #18584 on: December 24, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

I'm the opposite, despite all the attempts of my father to train me to the contrary. I'm very picky about my food and I loathe most meat. I hate the texture and I don't like how it tastes. I also don't like most berries or several kinds of fruit, including tomatoes, and I sadly have no tolerance for spice (I love curry, but eating even mild stuff brings tears to my eyes :().  I can't just eat the veggies (which I love); most people only make enough for them to be a side-dish for everyone, so if I filled myself up on them no one else would get any.

All that said, however, my parents would have never let me get away with refusing food that was put on my plate, at home or as a guest, and they'd make sure to put some of everything on my plate. I'd sit there with my serving of the roast mutton I hate and would finish it, no matter how long it took me.  ...It just might have taken me two hours.
Little-Geekette was a very special snowflake when it came to food. Grown-Geekette is only marginally better - I still hate it all, but if you serve it to me I'll eat it in a reasonable time frame... Well, most of it... :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:27:16 PM by geekette »