Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5045137 times)

nuit93

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18585 on: December 24, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

mmswm

« Reply #18586 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
I'm not anti-kid's menu- but seriously, if your kids are so hooked on McD's that they can't find *something" to eat at the average NAmerican holiday dinner - you might have a problem.

I agree, though I've *never* been even remotely close to "picky", even as a kid.  I loved trying new things and couldn't wait until I was old enough to order from the grown-up menu since the kid's offerings at most restaurants were boring.

I admit to being the world's pickiest eater and even I can generally find something to eat at holiday dinners.  The only thing that stops me is if the host can't promise that there's a tomato free dish.  I have life-threatening reactions to even the smallest exposures, so even a small amount of cross contamination can be deadly for me.  Of course, I know this, and generally make sure I've either eaten something beforehand, or discussed my needs with the host long before the actual event. If they can't be accommodated, then I have no issues abstaining from the meal until a later time.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

geekette

« Reply #18587 on: December 24, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

I'm the opposite, despite all the attempts of my father to train me to the contrary. I'm very picky about my food and I loathe most meat. I hate the texture and I don't like how it tastes. I also don't like most berries or several kinds of fruit, including tomatoes, and I sadly have no tolerance for spice (I love curry, but eating even mild stuff brings tears to my eyes :().  I can't just eat the veggies (which I love); most people only make enough for them to be a side-dish for everyone, so if I filled myself up on them no one else would get any.

All that said, however, my parents would have never let me get away with refusing food that was put on my plate, at home or as a guest, and they'd make sure to put some of everything on my plate. I'd sit there with my serving of the roast mutton I hate and would finish it, no matter how long it took me.  ...It just might have taken me two hours.
Little-Geekette was a very special snowflake when it came to food. Grown-Geekette is only marginally better - I still hate it all, but if you serve it to me I'll eat it in a reasonable time frame... Well, most of it... :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:27:16 PM by geekette »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18588 on: December 24, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »

POD

My Sis is having a problem because our cousins' kids eat things like nuggets at holiday meals. (With one of them we are dealing with the effects of allergies limiting the food he feels safe eating). It wouldn't be an issue except the hosts are planning meals were all the kids eat nuggets and mac and cheese and aren't offered  real food. Loren and Brett would rather the real food. 

This is the opposite of how cousins and us were raised. The only time I remember anyone eating something completely different was when we had crab/shrimp boils or gumbo. If we didn't have some finned fish with it, I would be given a sandwich, burger, or personal pizza because I'm allergic to gulf coast shell fish. (They would put some rice aside for me when they made gumbo - because I love rice). I can and did eat lobster at lobster boils on PEI.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18589 on: December 24, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
One year surrounded by all that delicious food, my niece ate a small tin of corn for Christmas lunch. Her mother wasn't fussed, it was niece's loss. No fuss was made. I was quite impressed with my SILs reaction.

Victoria

catgal

« Reply #18590 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
It sounds like Bexx27's SBIL invited himself and his children to her house for Christmas dinner.  Then demands to know what is on the menu to see if it is good enough.  How rude, especially for a holiday dinner when the menu was panned without the anticipation that SBIL be there.  This is a perfect time to use "that won't be possible".
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18591 on: December 24, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
It sounds like Bexx27's SBIL invited himself and his children to her house for Christmas dinner.  Then demands to know what is on the menu to see if it is good enough.  How rude, especially for a holiday dinner when the menu was panned without the anticipation that SBIL be there.  This is a perfect time to use "that won't be possible".

Yes, pretty much, except we had initially invited him when we planned to have Christmas here about a month ago. At that time he said he wasn't sure because he didn't know yet whether the kids would be with him or what they'd want to do. So it wasn't completely out of the blue, but we'd assumed he wasn't coming.

He is still welcome (just not with McDonald's bags!) because he and his kids are going through a tough time with custody battles and it's possible he really didn't know until today if he could get the kids. My DD also loves seeing her cousins. There will be plenty of food, so that's not an issue. I've just worked hard putting a nice meal together (nothing fancy or exotic, very traditional and kid-friendly) and I don't want the occasion marred by fast food (not to mention my 3-year-old's reaction to not having a happy meal herself.) I don't care if the kids make a meal of crackers and cheese and dinner rolls. Heck, I'd even cook them a box of mac n cheese.  ;)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18592 on: December 24, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
My in-laws have become a bit distant, which is fine with me. On Wednesday, MIL calls my son to tell him they would like to see us on Christmas Eve. I called Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to tell them that wouldn't work as DH had to work a partial day and we had prior plans in the evening. I finally got in touch with them today.

I let them know we had other plans, and that we could see them for lunch on Christmas. Those plans are agreed upon.

FIL tells me that MIL wants DS to bring a very expensive, fairly rare (no longer available in our area, available for order online) video game over for MIL to have with her new gaming system. Not to play with DS while we are there, but to keep for a few weeks. I haven't yet decided how I am going to respond to this. Does this seem strange to you? I find it very odd that a parent or grandparent would demand an item be loaned to them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18593 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:49 PM »
Seriously? Is she known to be a gamer, do she & DS have a history of loaning each other games? If not, then yea, I would say there is cause for the request to register on your hinky meter. How big of a disturbance in your personal Force this rates depends on your fam's history with your MIL.

I might just conveniently "forget" the game at home, if I were you.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18594 on: December 25, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
I'm calling Bittybartfast a special snowflake tonight.  It's 11:45 on Christmas Eve, and she's screaming her head off.  (She's six months old and has almost all the signs of teething - fever, runny nose, grumpiness, drooling - everything except actual teeth.)

So Bittybartfast has decided if she can't sleep, nobody gets to sleep.  And I know Babybartfast will be up bright an early in the morning wanting to open presents, so I can't just hand her the iPad and tell her to wake me up in an hour  ::)

snowdragon

« Reply #18595 on: December 25, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »
     I am calling the Ushers at my mom's church SS's and the people who came LATE to Christmas eve mass - and would not be separated from each other - all six of them needed to be seated together in one of the two busiest masses of the year.
     I had gotten there early....and got a seat I wanted, only to be TOLD that I needed to move to accommodate these folks, to a seat where my mother could not sit with me. So I get out move my stuff and go to the seat I was allowed to sit in - only to have the Ushers come in and again try to move me. Because someone else who came late was more worthy of a seat than I.  This time I refused to accommodate. They could sit separately because I was not moving - so the wife sat sideways and acted like she was in her living room, elbowed me several times and her husband told me to move so their daughter could sit with them.  Again - no, I am not standing so your daughter can sit. Then the woman decided that the organist and choir were not worth listening to - on the only day when they do the Polish Carols, in Polish, she wanted to chat with me! I was singing along when they came and I was not stopping because her specialness wanted coffee hour. She did not stop talking until the Gospel reading. To me, to her husband ( about how rude I was for not moving or chatting to her) ,to the daughter standing in the aisle, no one around her could concentrate on the readings or prayers.
    You know if you want to sit together, get there early - or sit where you can, but expecting others to be displaced for you ( or displacing those who came early.) when you know this is going to be a packed house,,,, is ridiculous.   

MissRose

« Reply #18596 on: December 25, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »
     I am calling the Ushers at my mom's church SS's and the people who came LATE to Christmas eve mass - and would not be separated from each other - all six of them needed to be seated together in one of the two busiest masses of the year.
     I had gotten there early....and got a seat I wanted, only to be TOLD that I needed to move to accommodate these folks, to a seat where my mother could not sit with me. So I get out move my stuff and go to the seat I was allowed to sit in - only to have the Ushers come in and again try to move me. Because someone else who came late was more worthy of a seat than I.  This time I refused to accommodate. They could sit separately because I was not moving - so the wife sat sideways and acted like she was in her living room, elbowed me several times and her husband told me to move so their daughter could sit with them.  Again - no, I am not standing so your daughter can sit. Then the woman decided that the organist and choir were not worth listening to - on the only day when they do the Polish Carols, in Polish, she wanted to chat with me! I was singing along when they came and I was not stopping because her specialness wanted coffee hour. She did not stop talking until the Gospel reading. To me, to her husband ( about how rude I was for not moving or chatting to her) ,to the daughter standing in the aisle, no one around her could concentrate on the readings or prayers.
    You know if you want to sit together, get there early - or sit where you can, but expecting others to be displaced for you ( or displacing those who came early.) when you know this is going to be a packed house,,,, is ridiculous.   

Both the woman and her family plus the ushers are SS's.  The ushers should have not forced you to move and the woman & her family defined SS.  That is why you arrive early for Xmas Masses to get the seats/pew you want.   Too bad the ushers do not have announcements made asking parents of infants and toddlers to hold them to free up space as most of the time kids under age 3 seldom want to sit down for any period of time (at least in my experiences going to church and observing kids of that age range there).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18597 on: December 25, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Seriously? Is she known to be a gamer, do she & DS have a history of loaning each other games? If not, then yea, I would say there is cause for the request to register on your hinky meter. How big of a disturbance in your personal Force this rates depends on your fam's history with your MIL.

I might just conveniently "forget" the game at home, if I were you.

MIL's great nieces and ones DH and DS are visiting and she wanted it there for them to play with. I suggested to FIL that the game is available online and where he could get it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18598 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
Bits and pieces of background on DH's grandmother have been posted on other threads, but here it is all in one place:

[bg]FIL always has and always will put his mother first, over MIL.  This may be correlated with Grandma being a huge special snowflake.  She gets her way most of the time, and nobody's allowed to say boo to her or she'll throw a huge PA fit and FIL will go all crusader to fix whatever is making his mother unhappy.  Last year Grandma pulled the "It's going to be my last Christmas!" thing again (link to my previous thread - be sure to see the updates too) and DH went along with it but took her at her word.  Not surprisingly, this year she expected us to come up to see her for her "last Christmas" again, and was taken aback when DH pointed out that last year was her "last Christmas" so we made definite plans to be home this year.  We stuck to our guns and now the plan is for FIL to drive the eight-hour round trip to pick up Grandma and bring her back here to stay with him and MIL (note: Grandma and MIL pretty much hate each other) for a week over the holiday.

Second half of the background: DH's two sisters live in town near us, but we rarely see them.  We get along fine with the middle sister (just don't have anything in common) but his oldest sister royally messes up her life on a regular basis.  She has awful taste in abusive guys half her age, and her kids (my niece and nephew) - who are special snowflakes themselves - don't want anything to do with her as long as she has any of her user boyfriends around.  SIL1 only keeps in contact with MIL when she wants something, but MIL tries to keep a line open.[/bg]

Because of all this mess, MIL was basically being forced into hosting Christmas this year and was not happy about it.  (She hates cooking and entertaining and hates how her MIL, DH's Grandma, criticizes everything she does.)  If she hosted Christmas, she'd have to make it a "whole family" thing, which would have to include SIL1 and her current boy toy and Niece and her screaming brat toddler (not his fault, honestly, but still) and Nephew who would rather sit and ignore everyone and play on his phone and Grandma being upset the world wasn't revolving around her and it would have been a huge mess with the potential for a lot of hurt feelings, at the expense of MIL's nerves.

I actually kind of like hosting and needed an excuse to really get the house clean anyway, so I volunteered to have MIL, FIL, and Grandma over to our house on Christmas day.  Since MIL's not the hostess, she's not obligated to invite SIL1, and since we rarely see SIL1 and frequently see the ILs, it's natural to make it an "us and the parents" thing and not "us and the entire extended family."  We do plan to invite SIL2, but everyone knows not to mention it to SIL1 and if SIL1 gets mad it won't bother me because we don't see her anyway.

The special snowflake here is Grandma.  When I offered to host, I told MIL what I would be doing: we're having Christmas morning with just our family, then everyone can come over in the early afternoon and we'll have a buffet of "heavy appetizer"-type food to nibble on while we hang out, so there will be no big formal dinner and no huge cooking marathon and no specific timetable.  Grandma said this "won't work for her" - she expects someone to provide a full Christmas spread, complete with spiral-cut ham and roasted turkey and side dishes and fine china, because it's what she would have done if we had gone to her house (true) and therefore if we won't let her host we have to do the same.

Since this was relayed through MIL, I let her have to break the bad news to Grandma  >:D  Sorry, Grandma, but I'm hosting this year and this is what I'm choosing to do!  I'm trying to figure out a menu I can mostly prepare ahead of time (or things that don't take much prep time anyway), and I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen all day when I could be relaxing.  I don't know why Grandma is so upset - she's in her 90's now and eats less than my toddler anyway.

Yeesh!  SSy update on this: Grandma showed up with mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, fruit salad, and two kinds of cake.  When I was very clear that this isn't a potluck, and I was trying for foods we could keep on the table all afternoon and not have to keep heated/chilled (which the potatoes really weren't).  The fruit salad and BOTH kinds of cake had coconut in them, which I don't like.  Incidentally, I have about ten pounds of fruit I was planning to make my own fruit salad with, which I ended up not even cutting up because Grandma brought her own variety.  Apparently FIL likes coconut cake and fruit salad and I would have ruined Christmas if I had forced him to go without.  (Okay, that's my extrapolation, and she was trying to be really nice about "Look what I brought to share!", but still.)

I ended up skipping the cake and making myself a small portion of cut-up fruit.  Luckily we've been invited to a potluck New Year's Eve party - I think I'll be bringing fruit salad!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18599 on: December 25, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »

Both the woman and her family plus the ushers are SS's.  The ushers should have not forced you to move and the woman & her family defined SS.  That is why you arrive early for Xmas Masses to get the seats/pew you want.   Too bad the ushers do not have announcements made asking parents of infants and toddlers to hold them to free up space as most of the time kids under age 3 seldom want to sit down for any period of time (at least in my experiences going to church and observing kids of that age range there).

No kidding.  We went early, about an hour early so that the boys could rehearse their parts in the pageant with the other kids so finding a seat wasn't hard for us at all and the front rows were reserved for the parents of the kids in the choir and pageant.  But I can definitely agree that little ones under 3 don't want to sit down for long.  Piratebabe was really good through the pageant (a wee shepherd) but after the sermon he got a bit fussy so DH (who usually doesn't go with me) took him out to the nursery to change him and then walked him around for a while to try and tire him out.  By the time they got back after communion, the little guy was quiet.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata