Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4429416 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18615 on: December 29, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
hummmmph. We've been trying to be patient...you know, neighborly?

But we're running out of patience. And money. Our insurance rates increased after we bumped into one of them while backing out last year.

I think a call to the fire marshal is going to be next...  >:(

Fire Marshal might be a good idea. I'll pass that on to Sis. Not their street but the street that gives access to their street is supposed to be 2 way. But the new apartment complex doesn't have enough on site parking and the parked cars reduce the street to 1 car wide down the middle. (The residents tried parking in the school lot across the way - that now has a locked gate when the school is closed.)

My neighbors used to park in a legal spot, but it blocked my view when backing out. I was lucky. I explained the problem - now they park 1/2 a car length down the street and I have a clear view backing out.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18616 on: December 29, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
...   We've been trying to be patient...you know, neighborly?   ...

I take it you have actually talked to your neighbors about this problem with no results?

mrkitty

« Reply #18617 on: December 29, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »

I take it you have actually talked to your neighbors about this problem with no results?

Yes, absolutely. There seem to be about eight adults who live there and I don't know how many kids. I/we have left polite notes, have complained to the apartment manager who claims to send "helpful reminders" and have tried talking to them. There is either a genuine language barrier or they're pretending there is one....I'm not going to go there and try to guess on that.

But either way, we're now documenting the parking violations (it's expressly included in the lease what the parking regulations are) and have sent photos and so far one letter via certified mail to the apartment manager about this, since it's the management company's job to enforce the lease. Anyway. We're documenting and now sending official complaint letters - building a case, as it were. Hate to do it, but nothing seems to be working. If, God forbid, we have another accident due to the parking, a small claims case will be filed. But that's getting legal, and I'm not going to go there .... just rest assured we're taking the legal steps we need to to resolve the situation. Fire marshal will be next.

In any case, we're hoping we can afford a down payment on a house later this year, if I manage to find a job in the field I'm trying to transition into.

I just posted this to further illustrate how *rude* some people are. It's teeth-gnashing worthy! grrrrr.  >:(
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18618 on: December 29, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
I ran into a special snowflake at Walmart yesterday.  I got into a checkout lane where it looked like the lady in front of me would be done pretty soon.  All her things were scanned and bagged, at least.  Then she starts giving the cashier advice - it started out with her opinion on how to get rid of a cold, and segued into opinions about how the cashier could get a new job, should do something or other with her relationships, etc etc.  At this point, the cashier has actually scanned and bagged all of my stuff, and this lady was just standing there talking, apparently oblivious to the fact that I was there and needed to pay!  I finally said, "Excuse me, I need to pay", and she veeeerrrrryy sllloooowwwlllyyy moved out of my way, complaining about how people are in too much of a rush these days, and we should all just slow down and enjoy life.  ::)  The whole transaction had taken at least five more minutes than it needed to, since I wasn't in a rush, and wasn't trying to speed her along!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18619 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
I'm going to nominate all the people in my apartment complex who don't pick up after their dogs. It's in the lease that you will do so. But they figure if they go out with the dog at night no one will see them not picking up. Just grow up already, people!

Hillia

« Reply #18620 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
I'm going to nominate all the people in my apartment complex who don't pick up after their dogs. It's in the lease that you will do so. But they figure if they go out with the dog at night no one will see them not picking up. Just grow up already, people!

And a big 'ol 'Thanks, ya jerk' from the responsible dog owners, who have a terrible time finding rentals because landlords have been burned by you too many times.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #18621 on: December 29, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
I was driving slowly down the street when I spotted a woman walking down the sidewalk, totally engrossed in reading a book. She didn't even look up when she reached the intersection, just stepped off the curb right in front of me. Fortunately, I had spotted her in time and was going slowly enough that I could easily stop. She never took her eyes off her book; I don't think she even was aware of my car.

I got a good look at the cover of the book she was reading. The book that made her as oblivious to her surroundings as a teenager texting away? Murder Must Advertise, the book from which I took my screen name.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

wheeitsme

« Reply #18622 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

Yes, absolutely. There seem to be about eight adults who live there and I don't know how many kids. I/we have left polite notes, have complained to the apartment manager who claims to send "helpful reminders" and have tried talking to them. There is either a genuine language barrier or they're pretending there is one....I'm not going to go there and try to guess on that.

But either way, we're now documenting the parking violations (it's expressly included in the lease what the parking regulations are) and have sent photos and so far one letter via certified mail to the apartment manager about this, since it's the management company's job to enforce the lease. Anyway. We're documenting and now sending official complaint letters - building a case, as it were. Hate to do it, but nothing seems to be working. If, God forbid, we have another accident due to the parking, a small claims case will be filed. But that's getting legal, and I'm not going to go there .... just rest assured we're taking the legal steps we need to to resolve the situation. Fire marshal will be next.

In any case, we're hoping we can afford a down payment on a house later this year, if I manage to find a job in the field I'm trying to transition into.

I just posted this to further illustrate how *rude* some people are. It's teeth-gnashing worthy! grrrrr.  >:(
Well, the apartment manager could prolly fix the problem pretty cheaply with these:  http://stop-painting.com/re-bounderpost.html

Bethczar

« Reply #18623 on: December 29, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
I was driving slowly down the street when I spotted a woman walking down the sidewalk, totally engrossed in reading a book. She didn't even look up when she reached the intersection, just stepped off the curb right in front of me. Fortunately, I had spotted her in time and was going slowly enough that I could easily stop. She never took her eyes off her book; I don't think she even was aware of my car.

I got a good look at the cover of the book she was reading. The book that made her as oblivious to her surroundings as a teenager texting away? Murder Must Advertise, the book from which I took my screen name.
I've being trying trying to figure out why your name sounded familiar! Great book, but I can put it down while walking  :)

Iris

« Reply #18624 on: December 29, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »

You know, I love to read, but I love breathing more.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18625 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »

You know, I love to read, but I love breathing more.

When I walked into the side of a car at 18, everyone assumed that I was reading. 

Nope, I'd looked up & the light was RED so I started across.  And I'm told that it turned green just as I stepped off the curb and more or less into the side of a vehicle.

Broken collar bone and my senior ring got smeared...and the nurse at the ER told my mother that my fiance had already been called.  The fiance that I hadn't mentioned had proposed yet.....

It's been 37 years, we have two grown kids (28 & 19) and one grandkid - I'd say that it worked out all right...so far.

I no longer read while walking places...at 55, I don't heal as fast as I used to.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dr. F.

« Reply #18626 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »

I've being trying trying to figure out why your name sounded familiar! Great book, but I can put it down while walking  :)

Great book! One of my favorites. I had a similar experience with a guy, not reading, but talking on the phone. He was walking diagonally across a T-shaped intersection. I was trying to turn right, there was someone coming the other direction trying to go straight. Guy with the phone stopped dead right in the middle of the intersection so that neither of the cars could move. He looked REALLY affronted when the other driver honked and then he SLOOOOOOWLY strolled the rest of the way diagonally across the intersection.

mrkitty

« Reply #18627 on: December 29, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »

Well, the apartment manager could prolly fix the problem pretty cheaply with these:  http://stop-painting.com/re-bounderpost.html

Hey...that's a really good idea!

I think I'll suggest that on Monday when the manager comes in.

I wonder if it would be rude to try these myself.....?   ;D

I did have the idea once to wait until 2 a.m. and go out and paint the curbs red in front of my unit and a bunch of the others with the same problem we do... >:D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

JoW

« Reply #18628 on: December 29, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »

And a big 'ol 'Thanks, ya jerk' from the responsible dog owners, who have a terrible time finding rentals because landlords have been burned by you too many times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dna-tests-required-to-ide_n_1819637.html
This made my newspaper a couple weeks ago.   An apartment complex in my area is doing it. 

When you move in you take a cheek swab from your dog and submit it to complex management for DNA testing.  They keep the test results on file.  When they find a dog dropping on the property they run DNA analysis on it, match it to the results on file, and fine the owner who didn't clean up behind his dog.  Under this system they almost never find droppings because the owner knows he's almost certain to get caught. 

Its a shame people are so inconsiderate that the landlord has to resort to this. 

Jones

« Reply #18629 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dna-tests-required-to-ide_n_1819637.html
This made my newspaper a couple weeks ago.   An apartment complex in my area is doing it. 

When you move in you take a cheek swab from your dog and submit it to complex management for DNA testing.  They keep the test results on file.  When they find a dog dropping on the property they run DNA analysis on it, match it to the results on file, and fine the owner who didn't clean up behind his dog.  Under this system they almost never find droppings because the owner knows he's almost certain to get caught. 

Its a shame people are so inconsiderate that the landlord has to resort to this.

I love this solution. A little pricey, but worth it to the rest of us!