Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5104508 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18645 on: December 30, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Shame on Redbook.   >:(

Her original tutorial has been posted for a couple of years now.  I think she updated it to include regular shoes later though
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:40:53 PM by PastryGoddess »

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #18646 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
My mother, the one-woman Christmas Blizzard:

We always celebrate Christmas Eve at my Grandparent's house.  When my fiance and I got there, Mom was already there and moping on the couch.  Everyone's attempts to draw her into conversation were meant with silence or one word answers.  Then, at dinner, she refused to eat saying that she's allergic to all of it. (She's not.  She's mildly allergic to beans, which were kept completely away from the numerous other dishes that she can eat and has eaten in the past.)

After dinner, we were opening presents.  Mom was silent until she opened her presents (we open them from youngest to oldest).  She then started throwing tantrums about the Visa gift card she got (despite having given them and using them in the past, she suddenly didn't know what they're for), trying to give the box of chocolates she received from my sister back to my sister, etc.  Basically acting like an ungrateful 5 year old.

We finally moved on from her turn, though she kept up the commentary about it while my uncles opened their gifts.  When we got to my Grandma, Mom hit her low of the night.  Grandma opened a $100.00 giftcard that my brother and sister had worked hard to be able to get her.  It's my sister's first Christmas with a full time job and the first Christmas in awhile that my brother has been able to do much due to his finances.  Everyone recognized it as a very thoughtful and well meant gift - except Mom who cut into the thank you saying "Yeah, well their dad helps out on it."

That reduced my sister to the bathroom in tears for the next 15 minutes or so.  My uncle tried to calm her down, to no avail, and she left in a huff telling us all to keep our stupid gifts.

The next day, she called to accuse my uncle of restraining her (he didn't) and of stealing her gifts.  When he hung up on her, she called my other uncle to whine about the gifts and he reminded her that she'd left, telling us to keep them, and had even thrown the treats from my grandmother into his bag.  Then she had her friend send me a facebook message (mom doesn't have Facebook) and leave me a note saying that it's our fault as a family that we gave her alcohol when we know she's mentally unstable (she was not given alcohol and did not have access to it during this time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18647 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
Day after Christmas:   I was running errands.  I pulled into a parking place - only to be almost hit by someone pulling through from the other direction.  Who then gave me a one-finger salute.  The parking lot was busy, although there were plenty of places farther out where someone who didn't want to back up could pull through, but they insisted on doing this in the first row back from the store fronts.

I was turning left at a intersection where only one direction has to stop. The driver that had to stop had his car in front of the white stop line with a few feet extra. So, as I am making my left, I was within a few feet of his vehicle. He both honked his horn and gave a one-finger salute. What a SS!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18648 on: December 30, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

We always celebrate Christmas Eve at my Grandparent's house.  When my fiance and I got there, Mom was already there and moping on the couch.  Everyone's attempts to draw her into conversation were meant with silence or one word answers.  Then, at dinner, she refused to eat saying that she's allergic to all of it. (She's not.  She's mildly allergic to beans, which were kept completely away from the numerous other dishes that she can eat and has eaten in the past.)

After dinner, we were opening presents.  Mom was silent until she opened her presents (we open them from youngest to oldest).  She then started throwing tantrums about the Visa gift card she got (despite having given them and using them in the past, she suddenly didn't know what they're for), trying to give the box of chocolates she received from my sister back to my sister, etc.  Basically acting like an ungrateful 5 year old.

We finally moved on from her turn, though she kept up the commentary about it while my uncles opened their gifts.  When we got to my Grandma, Mom hit her low of the night.  Grandma opened a $100.00 giftcard that my brother and sister had worked hard to be able to get her.  It's my sister's first Christmas with a full time job and the first Christmas in awhile that my brother has been able to do much due to his finances.  Everyone recognized it as a very thoughtful and well meant gift - except Mom who cut into the thank you saying "Yeah, well their dad helps out on it."

That reduced my sister to the bathroom in tears for the next 15 minutes or so.  My uncle tried to calm her down, to no avail, and she left in a huff telling us all to keep our stupid gifts.

The next day, she called to accuse my uncle of restraining her (he didn't) and of stealing her gifts.  When he hung up on her, she called my other uncle to whine about the gifts and he reminded her that she'd left, telling us to keep them, and had even thrown the treats from my grandmother into his bag.  Then she had her friend send me a facebook message (mom doesn't have Facebook) and leave me a note saying that it's our fault as a family that we gave her alcohol when we know she's mentally unstable (she was not given alcohol and did not have access to it during this time.

Wow...that goes beyond blizzard to SuperStorm or Whiteout

Amava

« Reply #18649 on: December 30, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »

Wow...that goes beyond blizzard to SuperStorm or Whiteout

Agreed, that is just crazy. Why adults can't be, you know, "adult", and mature and gracious about receiving gifts, is beyond me.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18650 on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
...   Then she had her friend send me a facebook message (mom doesn't have Facebook) and leave me a note saying that it's our fault as a family that we gave her alcohol when we know she's mentally unstable (she was not given alcohol and did not have access to it during this time.   ...

Very seriously here, it sounds like at least part of her Facebook friend's statement may actually be true. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18651 on: December 30, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Can a business be a special snowflake?  Because Redbook magazine seems pretty darn close.

(Summary for those who don't like to click links - one of the pages from the latest issue has a bunch of "do-it-yourself ideas" which incidentally happen to be several popular posts on Pinterest.  They don't give credit to the authors, or even to finding them on Pinterest at all.  The illustrations are drawn rather than the photos from the popular pins, but they're pretty obviously drawn from those exact photos.  Jen Yates, who writes www.cakewrecks.com and www.epbot.com, was the originator of one of those ideas.)

Unluckily for Redbook, Jen has over a million Twitter followers and they're all pretty mad about this stunt.  I suspect if this follows other internet flare-ups, there will be some impressive drama and then an abject apology within the next 48 hours or so.
Since print magazines generally start with a 6-month lead time, Redbook would have been working on this article last summer. When did Jen publish her ideas? It's possible that both Jen and the Redbook staff came up with their ideas without having seen each other's work. My nephew once submitted an essay for class, only to have National Geographic publish, in its issue that came out 2 weeks later, an article that made the exact same point.

I'd believe that more if the article's artist hadn't drawn Jen's shoes in the picture.

doodlemor

« Reply #18652 on: December 30, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
.......... a note saying that it's our fault as a family that we gave her alcohol when we know she's mentally unstable (she was not given alcohol and did not have access to it during this time.

Perhaps she drank before she came, or brought some in her purse.  I've read weird stories about people hiding alcohol in all sorts of places - like the back of the toilet tank.

I'm sorry that your mother was so miserable on Christmas, PaintingPastelPrincess.

MNdragonlady

« Reply #18653 on: December 30, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
Shame on Redbook.   >:(

Her original tutorial has been posted for a couple of years now.  I think she updated it to include regular shoes later though

The original is dated April 2011, so quite a while ago.

Oh, and The Bloggess has now tweeted about the situation. It's all over now for the Redbook editors. Do not want to be them right now.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18654 on: December 30, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
Can a business be a special snowflake?  Because Redbook magazine seems pretty darn close.

(Summary for those who don't like to click links - one of the pages from the latest issue has a bunch of "do-it-yourself ideas" which incidentally happen to be several popular posts on Pinterest.  They don't give credit to the authors, or even to finding them on Pinterest at all.  The illustrations are drawn rather than the photos from the popular pins, but they're pretty obviously drawn from those exact photos.  Jen Yates, who writes www.cakewrecks.com and www.epbot.com, was the originator of one of those ideas.)

Unluckily for Redbook, Jen has over a million Twitter followers and they're all pretty mad about this stunt.  I suspect if this follows other internet flare-ups, there will be some impressive drama and then an abject apology within the next 48 hours or so.
Since print magazines generally start with a 6-month lead time, Redbook would have been working on this article last summer. When did Jen publish her ideas? It's possible that both Jen and the Redbook staff came up with their ideas without having seen each other's work. My nephew once submitted an essay for class, only to have National Geographic publish, in its issue that came out 2 weeks later, an article that made the exact same point.

I'd believe that more if the article's artist hadn't drawn Jen's shoes in the picture.

Yeah, if you look at Jen's side-by-sides, it's a pretty blatant copy. That's outrageous! Shame on Redbook.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #18655 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
...   Then she had her friend send me a facebook message (mom doesn't have Facebook) and leave me a note saying that it's our fault as a family that we gave her alcohol when we know she's mentally unstable (she was not given alcohol and did not have access to it during this time.   ...

Very seriously here, it sounds like at least part of her Facebook friend's statement may actually be true.

She does have some mental issues and is seeking help; this, however, was not related although it may have been related to alcohol consumption that the family was unaware of.  She gets very drama queenish around holidays and birthdays and will up the ante when she doesn't get the reaction she desires.  I hope her therapy helps her get over this.

misha412

« Reply #18656 on: December 30, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
My pickiness comes from textures and tastes. I can eat onions when they're part of a Thai stir fry that I like, but not when they're in a different restaurant's sweet n sour chicken. I'll eat pico de gallo if it's well-disguised with other things like guacamole, but I can't eat huge chunks of tomatoes. There's something in my head that sends off a signal going "Warning! Warning! This is NOT supposed to taste like this!" and will trigger a gag reflex. I wish I was different, and I've gotten better, but in some cases it's taken years to get used to certain foods cooked certain ways.

My pickiness is also textures and tastes as well as smells.

I do not like guacamole because it tastes and looks like green lard. I cannot take the little curds found in cottage cheese. I love raw spinach but cannot take it cooked. The smell of liver is nasty. I have to have sausage crispy on the outside or my brain thinks its raw. The same goes for hot dogs. I can only eat eggs scrambled, well done. Any shiny bits of egg and my stomach starts to roll.

I actually eat a wide variety of foods, but there are a few that I cannot stomach.

Reika

« Reply #18657 on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »

My pickiness is also textures and tastes as well as smells.

I do not like guacamole because it tastes and looks like green lard. I cannot take the little curds found in cottage cheese. I love raw spinach but cannot take it cooked. The smell of liver is nasty. I have to have sausage crispy on the outside or my brain thinks its raw. The same goes for hot dogs. I can only eat eggs scrambled, well done. Any shiny bits of egg and my stomach starts to roll.

I actually eat a wide variety of foods, but there are a few that I cannot stomach.

Aside from the spinach (I'm not a fan of it raw or cooked), this is how my brain is wired.  Just like I can't eat raw tomatoes, it's a combination of taste and texture. I will happily eat them seasoned and cooked.

Though sometimes if they're chopped finely enough and mixed in with something heavily seasoned, I can eat raw tomato. Not often though.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18658 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
Is this unusual or more extreme behavior than you have seen before?  Because it really sounds like this woman needs psychiatric help.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rohanna

« Reply #18659 on: December 31, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
Dear PaintingPastelPrincess: I didn't know my mother had a second family. My condolences. I do not deal with her anymore- good luck to you with her!

Much love,

Your secret sister.

Seriously though, does she have mental health issues? Mine is non-compliant with any treatment or councelling- it's not awesome.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.