Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4392351 times)

o_gal

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18660 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:26 AM »
Shame on Redbook.   >:(

Her original tutorial has been posted for a couple of years now.  I think she updated it to include regular shoes later though

The original is dated April 2011, so quite a while ago.

Oh, and The Bloggess has now tweeted about the situation. It's all over now for the Redbook editors. Do not want to be them right now.

Oh goody! I'm hoping this goes the same way as Judith Griggs and her "Cooks Source" debacle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Griggs

peach2play

« Reply #18661 on: December 31, 2012, 10:31:43 AM »
I was almost killed by a SS yesterday...

There is a major intersection with a right turn only turning into a continuous lane, meaning that the people turning right do not have to stop at the light and do not have to yield to anyone turning left.  The right hand turn lane is protected by a median, but the lane itself is a lane so only has white passing stripes.  Most people will use the continuous lane properly, but some people either don't see the signs or are too timid to use the lane properly or get worried that people turning left onto that street are going to cut them off or just have to cross 3 lanes of traffic to turn into Toys R Us even though there is another entrance farther down. 

http://goo.gl/maps/XPnj5  This is the exact intersection.  I'm turning right onto 88th (behind the white SUV in the pic).  A work van belonging to an electric company was in front of me, and he stops instead of using the continuous lane.  I wait, then beep at him.  I'm on the bike, and having traffic that is used to driving through the intersection stacking up behind me is very dangerous.  He refuses to go.  A car behind me comes into the turn and is laying on his horn and he missed the rear of my motorcycle by an inch.  Thankfully I saw him and pulled forward almost next to the van.  The van still refuses to go.  He decides to go just as I had started to go around him in the gutter.  I'm not going to get rear ended for someone to prove they are right.  I plan on calling the company and complaining about their driver.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18662 on: December 31, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
There are a couple of bits like that near me - they go round the edge of the roundabouts but separated by a media so you don't have anyone to give way to.  I was driving behind someone and we hit two within half a mile and this person stopped at both.  Bearing in mind it was a 50mph road so I've got vehicle s coming at me at that speed and this guy won't move!!!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18663 on: December 31, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »

Her original tutorial has been posted for a couple of years now.  I think she updated it to include regular shoes later though

Oh, and The Bloggess has now tweeted about the situation. It's all over now for the Redbook editors. Do not want to be them right now.

Oh goody! I'm hoping this goes the same way as Judith Griggs and her "Cooks Source" debacle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Griggs

It's really entertaining to go read Redbook's FB page now. Every single post and comment is about the Great Flip-Flop Debacle. They finally had to comment:

"Redbook Magazine Thank you, everyone, for bringing this to our attention. We did run a version of Jen Yates' idea in our story without crediting her — it was an unfortunate oversight on our part. We promise you that the mistake wasn't intentional, and we deeply regret it. We’ll make it right by crediting Jen online, as well as in a future issue, and compensating her, as we do all our contributors. We agree with all of you that it is essential to give credit where credit is due."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:22:12 AM by KenveeB »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18664 on: December 31, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

It's really entertaining to go read Redbook's FB page now. Every single post and comment is about the Great Flip-Flop Debacle. They finally had to comment:

"Redbook Magazine Thank you, everyone, for bringing this to our attention. We did run a version of Jen Yates' idea in our story without crediting her — it was an unfortunate oversight on our part. We promise you that the mistake wasn't intentional, and we deeply regret it. We’ll make it right by crediting Jen online, as well as in a future issue, and compensating her, as we do all our contributors. We agree with all of you that it is essential to give credit where credit is due."

Don't you have to contribute something to be a contributor?  That's like calling a robbery victim a donor.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18665 on: December 31, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »

Don't you have to contribute something to be a contributor?  That's like calling a robbery victim a donor.

It's all about branding, Traska. "Contributor" sounds much nicer than "we nicked her work and tried to get away with it."
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Miss March

« Reply #18666 on: December 31, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
That's a start for Jen, but what about the other Pinterest ideas they took from other people? I hope they will track down EACH 'contributor' and credit them all.
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18667 on: December 31, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »
Jen has received an email from Redbook and is satisfied with the response. See her post. I hope they do the same thing for each of the Pinners who had their ideas stolen.

And somewhere, some Redbook writer is getting read the royal riot act for setting off this firestorm.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:18:48 PM by KenveeB »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18668 on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
Jen has received an email from Redbook and is satisfied with the response. See her post. I hope they do the same thing for each of the Pinners who had their ideas stolen.

And somewhere, some Redbook writer is getting read the royal riot act for setting off this firestorm.  >:D

The link doesn't seem to work for me. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18669 on: December 31, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

Sorry, mistake in the coding. I've fixed it now.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18670 on: December 31, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

Sorry, mistake in the coding. I've fixed it now.

Thanks.  She seems exceptionally gracious!!

Amava

« Reply #18671 on: December 31, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Jen, my new hero

For the record, the only thing I ever wanted from Redbook was recognition for my work and images, so I'll be asking Ms. Rollins to donate any compensation they wish to offer to my Give Kids The World campaign.

That part brought tears to my eyes. How lovely!

weeblewobble

« Reply #18672 on: December 31, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »

It's all about branding, Traska. "Contributor" sounds much nicer than "we nicked her work and tried to get away with it."

The insult to the injury is that Redbook is the only print publication to give Jen's CakeWrecks books negative reviews. 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18673 on: December 31, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

I think because the whole thing's gone viral.

http://consumerist.com/2012/12/31/redbook-ticks-off-internet-after-allegedly-copying-bloggers-idea/

It is too big for them to ignore now. They are going to be doing damage control for quite a while over this.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #18674 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
Extremely entitled customer on Customers Suck. (minor language warning).

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data