Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5749501 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18675 on: January 01, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
The other day I was out shopping with a friend, her mother, and friend's little sister. I quickly found out that family sticks together in the same stores and won't leave until everyone's ready. When I mentioned I wanted to split off and  look at a window display further in the mall this idea was quickly shut down. Friend's Mother said "Oh no, it's okay, we're almost done here," etc., so I stuck with them until it was deemed "my turn" to pick a store. I made a beeline down the hall to Store and walked in. I made it at least 15 feet inside before I realized that no one was behind me. My friend, her mother, and the little sister were all standing outside staring in at me, and the mother was grasping the girl's hand while she asked to go in, saying things like "But Mom, you never let me go in there, can't we just go look?" to which the mother loudly snapped, "No, you're not going in there, everything's too expensive, you're out of your mind if you think it's okay to pay that much for clothes."

The mother kept berating her daughter for wanting to go inside and the three of them stood there (in the middle of the hall, people had to walk around them) and stared at me while I went inside to look around. I got the sense that my friend's glaring mother blamed me for wanting to go inside/her daughter wanting to go in. I felt so uncomfortable that I quickly walked out without buying anything.

That was pretty PA of her. I don't think I'd want to join them again.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Adelaide

« Reply #18676 on: January 01, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
This friend's mother is odd on occasion. She acts normal most of the time but she has certain things that she tends to have a different opinion/way of doing things from the norm. This just happened to be one of them, I guess. I definitely won't be joining them again on a shopping trip though!

Jocelyn

« Reply #18677 on: January 01, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
That is so sad- one of my great pleasures used to be going to the local elite shopping district, and going through the stores looking at all the things I'd buy if I had married a millionaire.  ::) Fancy jewelry I have no place to wear, and art glass (which would never survive the felines!) were tops on the list. I'd imagine taking it home to my beautiful mansion with me, where I'd put it, etc. Strangely enough, this was at a time where I was prone to impulsive buys when shopping in the store I could afford- if I went to JCP I ended up with something I didn't really need because I felt too deprived if I came home without something. But shopping for $400 art glass...somehow, the imagining that I was taking it home solved the deprivation feelings better than a $20 shirt.

Minmom3

« Reply #18678 on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
There are a couple of bits like that near me - they go round the edge of the roundabouts but separated by a media so you don't have anyone to give way to.  I was driving behind someone and we hit two within half a mile and this person stopped at both.  Bearing in mind it was a 50mph road so I've got vehicle s coming at me at that speed and this guy won't move!!!

When my mother came down for DD#1's graduation from high school, we were driving up a 2 lane highway, with a center passing and turning lane for a short portion of it.  This was a road that a LOT of the big rigs that service farms use - these are large vehicles, and many of them are fully loaded when using this road, so stopping quickly is NOT going to happen.  Mom and I were coming up on the passing and turn lane, and somebody from the housing complex swung out into the lane, and stopped, waiting for us and the farm trucks to pass by so they could enter the driving lane.  Mom comes to a screeching halt IN the DRIVING lane, thinking that the car in the turn lane is in front of us, instead of one lane left of us.  I tell her that the car is next to, not in front of us, AND there are big rigs bearing down behind us and we're going to be hamburger very soon if she doesn't motivate asap!  I got her to get moving again just as the truck behind us started honking and using his brakes, and we got out of there.  I nearly wet my pants...  Mom really did not believe me that the other car was next to us, even as she passed him still sitting there. 

That was the last time any of us got in the car with her driving.  I told the girls they weren't allowed any more, I told Mom that none of us would be riding with her anymore, and I wrote a letter to the DMV describing our close call.  DMV didn't do anything about it.  I finally got Mom's car away from her after her 2nd hip replacement, when dementia had become obvious and was confirmed by the doctor in a letter I took to the DMV.  It was nearly 5 years after that first close call.  In that time, she totaled the car she had, and had no clue how the accident had happened.  She had her license suspended until she took 2 classes mandated by the DMV, and got another car, which she had a few more accidents in, and again did not know how they had happened.  She got lost while traveling to our house for Christmas, and couldn't tell me how she got lost, and didn't have a good reason for not leaving hours earlier so she'd get to our place before dark.  It was a long and frustrating period that I spent wondering if she was going to get into an accident that hurt somebody.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #18679 on: January 02, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
My sociopath older sister strikes again.

This time she took our parents car (without their knowledge or permission) out of state. I'm watching the horizon for the fireworks that will greet her when her sorry butt gets home.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18680 on: January 02, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
I once took a theft report from a car insurance client - her ex-husband (no D involved) had "borrowed" it to drive to work, then quit his job and taken off three days earlier.  It was her son's car.  She didn't have insurance to cover the replacement - but she wanted it to be clear that if he was in an accident while driving it - that her insurance was NOT liable for the damages or anyone's injuries.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18681 on: January 02, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

This time she took our parents car (without their knowledge or permission) out of state. I'm watching the horizon for the fireworks that will greet her when her sorry butt gets home.

Woooooooooow.  :o  (Did I put enough "o"'s to express my shock?).  Do let us know what happens?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #18682 on: January 02, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

Woooooooooow.  :o  (Did I put enough "o"'s to express my shock?).  Do let us know what happens?

Dad says he's kicking her out of the house. Good riddance. If it had been my car I would have reported it stolen and had her arrested.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18683 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »

Dad says he's kicking her out of the house. Good riddance. If it had been my car I would have reported it stolen and had her arrested.

Total agreement on all points.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18684 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »

Total agreement on all points.

Ditto. I'd have reported her, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Daquiri40

« Reply #18685 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:16 AM »
The mother kept berating her daughter for wanting to go inside and the three of them stood there (in the middle of the hall, people had to walk around them) and stared at me while I went inside to look around. I got the sense that my friend's glaring mother blamed me for wanting to go inside/her daughter wanting to go in. I felt so uncomfortable that I quickly walked out without buying anything.

I had a friend like this.  When I went shopping with her, I was shopping with HER as in she was doing all of the shopping and I was supposed to think it was fun watching her.  SHE had a list and we had to look for everything on it, no matter how long it took.  I did this like twice.

The last time I went shopping with her, I said - I am going to look over here for a minute and she dramatically sat in a chair and said to me, "I guess you can, I've bought everything on my list that I needed."   It was the last time I went shopping with her, of course.

I never understood the SS part of her that thought following her around as she shopped was the high point of my life.

weeblewobble

« Reply #18686 on: January 03, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »

I had a friend like this.  When I went shopping with her, I was shopping with HER as in she was doing all of the shopping and I was supposed to think it was fun watching her.  SHE had a list and we had to look for everything on it, no matter how long it took.  I did this like twice.

The last time I went shopping with her, I said - I am going to look over here for a minute and she dramatically sat in a chair and said to me, "I guess you can, I've bought everything on my list that I needed."   It was the last time I went shopping with her, of course.

I never understood the SS part of her that thought following her around as she shopped was the high point of my life.

I had this experience with a friend who had lost a dramatic amount of weight.  Don't get me wrong, I was really excited for her.  And the first time we went shopping for "skinny clothes" it was fun to find all sorts of cute, sexier outfits for her to try on because she'd never been able to dress like that before.  But she expected EVERY trip to be like that.  She was Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, trying on a montage of outfits, and I was her adoring audience.

If I attempted to shop for myself, she got huffy and sulky and said, "I don't even know why you came."

Uh... to buy some jeans?

TylerBelle

« Reply #18687 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
Count me in as a member of the entourage club. For I experienced the same, had a friend who enjoyed having me tagalong as she shopped for herself. If I tried looking at something for me, suddenly she was bored and we had to move on.

Once there was a group of us on an out of town trip and we went to a mall that had a Disney store. I got excited for it was something we didn't have back home. My friend was in the group that went with me into the store and later she related to others how I acted about it. Maybe I read her wrong, but I felt she thought I was childish for I was all agog about the store, and kind of burdened her and the rest with us at the time for having to go in there with me. Whatever. It was your decision, not mine, to go in there as well.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18688 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
This is why I won't shop with certain people. I like to take my time in some store, but am not interested in others. I've had friends who seem ok with me going in to a store, but then start the huffing and sighing, like I'm torturing them, and we've only been there about 10 minutes.

My cousin is a compulsive shopper. If there's something to be seen, or bought, or deity forbid SOME kind of sale, she's there. I personally don't care about a lot of what she likes, but she's perfectly content for me to park myself somewhere while she browses, or we will split up and go to different stores, and then meet up later on.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18689 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Dear teen girls who were at the theater last night:

I understand that it was probably the first time you'd ever been allowed to be out so late for a movie without a supervising adult. However, giggling at scrabble scenes, shrieking, and chatting loudly are not ever considered appropriate behavior. You were irritating everyone else in the cinema and ruining their experience. Also, it is not considered appropriate to clap very loudly as you leave. Hint: If no one else is doing it, chances are good that it's inappropriate.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter