Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5096267 times)

TylerBelle

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18690 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
Count me in as a member of the entourage club. For I experienced the same, had a friend who enjoyed having me tagalong as she shopped for herself. If I tried looking at something for me, suddenly she was bored and we had to move on.

Once there was a group of us on an out of town trip and we went to a mall that had a Disney store. I got excited for it was something we didn't have back home. My friend was in the group that went with me into the store and later she related to others how I acted about it. Maybe I read her wrong, but I felt she thought I was childish for I was all agog about the store, and kind of burdened her and the rest with us at the time for having to go in there with me. Whatever. It was your decision, not mine, to go in there as well.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18691 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
This is why I won't shop with certain people. I like to take my time in some store, but am not interested in others. I've had friends who seem ok with me going in to a store, but then start the huffing and sighing, like I'm torturing them, and we've only been there about 10 minutes.

My cousin is a compulsive shopper. If there's something to be seen, or bought, or deity forbid SOME kind of sale, she's there. I personally don't care about a lot of what she likes, but she's perfectly content for me to park myself somewhere while she browses, or we will split up and go to different stores, and then meet up later on.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #18692 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Dear teen girls who were at the theater last night:

I understand that it was probably the first time you'd ever been allowed to be out so late for a movie without a supervising adult. However, giggling at scrabble scenes, shrieking, and chatting loudly are not ever considered appropriate behavior. You were irritating everyone else in the cinema and ruining their experience. Also, it is not considered appropriate to clap very loudly as you leave. Hint: If no one else is doing it, chances are good that it's inappropriate.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18693 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
We interrupt this broadcast to report... an astonishing lack of Special Snowflakes!

Mrs.k2002, the boys and I went to Disneyland on 12/28, which is one of the park's busiest days of the year. Amazingly, there really weren't any SSs to be seen, although I'm sure that the cast found more than a few. Several attractions were closed due to breakdowns, but I didn't hear anyone complaining. Lines for food were long, but everyone was courteous. I saw people sharing tables with strangers (as we did ourselves) because seating was at a premium for meals. I think the worst was an 8yo boy who elbowed past me in line to catch up with his parents. There were the usual groups of people stopping in awkward places, blocking traffic, but those were few and far-between. Maybe I'm just mellowing in my old age.

Well... we did see one real SS, but most of his specialness came outside of the park. For those not familiar with DL, there's a special off-ramp from the Interstate 5 car-pool lane* just for DL. It lets you onto the street right by the bridge that leads to the DL parking structure. We were tooling along in the car-pool lane, coming up behind a somewhat slow moving armored car, when I noticed the car behind me, tail-gating. Without admitting anything on my own part, officer, I can guarantee that that car was going well over the speed limit. I tapped my brakes but he kept tail-gating. There was no way I was going to push the armored car any faster. Once we got to the end of the off-ramp, he sped around me (on the right), passed the armored car (on the right, cutting it off) and zipped up the bridge to the parking. After all of that mad driving (suitable for Mr. Toad), the SS and his passengers ended up sitting right in front of us in the tram from the parking to the park.

*BG: Car-pool (or HOV) lanes in SoCal are separated from the rest of the freeway. You can't switch in or out of the lane except at specially designated points, so there's no way for either the SS or for me to change lanes.

Travel tip: If you come to the DL resort and visit Disney's California Adventure, I highly recommend getting reservations at the Carthay Circle restaurant. The food and drinks are fantastic. If you can't get reservations, at least have a drink (yes, they serve alcohol, unlike DL) and some appetizers at the Carthay Circle lounge.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

weeblewobble

« Reply #18694 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
Seriously, why is it always the grocery store?

I had a cartload of items when I arrived at the checkout, so I was careful to avoid the express lanes.  I arrived at the lane, after an elderly couple, just before another family - two parents and a woman in her late teens/early twenties. All three of us had equally full carts.  There was no question as to who got to the line in which order.  It was the elderly couple, me, and then the family.  But the young woman, rolled her eyes and huffed, as if I should have let them ahead of me for some reason I was unaware of.

I ignored her and unloaded my cart.  The young woman huffed to herself about how LONG people take unloading their carts, and how this whole store was just ridiculous for not getting people through line quicker.  Over and over, she whined about how LONG it was taking, she wanted to go home, this wait was ridiculous, couldn't people go faster?  With each gripe, she got louder and louder until it was absolutely clear that the cashier heard every word.

Finally, when the family got close enough to the register to put their items on the belt, they couldn't find the divider bar to separate our items. When she saw that the cashier didn't notice their "distress," the young woman stomped past, out of the store, loudly huffing, "This is RIDICULOUS. I am going HOME.  I hate this stupid place!"

All the while her parents placidly went through their grocery shopping.

Seriously, it was like seeing a five year old trapped in a 18/20 year old's body.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #18695 on: January 04, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
Seriously, why is it always the grocery store?

I had a cartload of items when I arrived at the checkout, so I was careful to avoid the express lanes.  I arrived at the lane, after an elderly couple, just before another family - two parents and a woman in her late teens/early twenties. All three of us had equally full carts.  There was no question as to who got to the line in which order.  It was the elderly couple, me, and then the family.  But the young woman, rolled her eyes and huffed, as if I should have let them ahead of me for some reason I was unaware of.

I ignored her and unloaded my cart.  The young woman huffed to herself about how LONG people take unloading their carts, and how this whole store was just ridiculous for not getting people through line quicker.  Over and over, she whined about how LONG it was taking, she wanted to go home, this wait was ridiculous, couldn't people go faster?  With each gripe, she got louder and louder until it was absolutely clear that the cashier heard every word.

Finally, when the family got close enough to the register to put their items on the belt, they couldn't find the divider bar to separate our items. When she saw that the cashier didn't notice their "distress," the young woman stomped past, out of the store, loudly huffing, "This is RIDICULOUS. I am going HOME.  I hate this stupid place!"

All the while her parents placidly went through their grocery shopping.

Seriously, it was like seeing a five year old trapped in a 18/20 year old's body.

I think I met her at the DMV last summer!  I was renewing my DL and a mom, dad and teen girl came right after me.  Now, there was a wait but it was relatively short and you weren't standing in line, there was a waiting area with seats.  You got a number and were served when your number came up.  Most everyone there had some sort of activity to entertain them during the wait (reading, knitting, etc.) 

The moment they walked in, she started to complain and at one point told her mother that they weren't waiting and they were going home.  The mom said they traveled too far to just leave and they were staying.  So the girl then spent the rest of the visit (at least as long as I was there) complaining about how long they had to wait, how dumb it was they had to wait, what a waste of time it was to be there, blah, blah, blah.  I'm not sure why they were there but my mother would have told me to shut it or go wait in the car after the first complaint.  These parents did nothing but ignore her after the first exchange.

mmswm

« Reply #18696 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
ACK! WeebleWobble!  For me it's driving that brings out the blizzards.  I'm not sure why, but after that marathon drive across the country two weeks ago, I decided to make the 700 mile trip to Atlanta late last night.  Oh, yeah.  I remember why I did it.  I wanted to visit my son, who's living with my sister for the school year.  At any rate, the number of SS drivers going up Tamiami Trail and I-75 in Florida, and then into Georgia is just astonishing.  When I'm less brain dead, I might post a story or twelve.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18697 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
When I'm less brain dead, I might post a story or twelve.
I believe you are now obliged to >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

squeakers

« Reply #18698 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
Took our new puppy to the vet (he's got kennel cough) and my girl kitty (urinary tract issues).  There was a little boy in the waiting room with his mom.  He came and talked to our kitty and then patted the puppy.  That was fine.

What was not so fine was when we got called into one of the exam rooms he followed us.  His mom called him and called him and finally came and got him.  We shut the door.  The vet tech was taking histories and the door opened.. it was the lil guy again.  His mom called him and called him and then came and got him.

The third time he tried getting in I was leaning against the door to keep him out. 

The rest of the visit you could hear his mom calling him and calling him.

He was special needs so I cut him some slack but his mom was Special Snowflake for not keeping him occupied by anything other than just walking into exam rooms and for just calling him when he would not listen to her. (Vet tech said it had been a fun afternoon with them.)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

faithlessone

« Reply #18699 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Bit of a special snowflake at the cinema today.

In my local cinema, there are three rows of nicer seats reserved for VIP ticket holders. Fair enough. However, one woman seemed to think that by buying a VIP ticket, that meant the whole row was hers. She complained loudly and passive aggressively throughout the trailers, outraged that there were other people sitting in her row.

Luckily, one of those people called for an usher, and she was told in no uncertain terms to be quiet or get out, and she actually LEFT. Wow.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18700 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Bit of a special snowflake at the cinema today.

In my local cinema, there are three rows of nicer seats reserved for VIP ticket holders. Fair enough. However, one woman seemed to think that by buying a VIP ticket, that meant the whole row was hers. She complained loudly and passive aggressively throughout the trailers, outraged that there were other people sitting in her row.

Luckily, one of those people called for an usher, and she was told in no uncertain terms to be quiet or get out, and she actually LEFT. Wow.

There's an easy solution to that - see a crappier movie which has already been out a while!  Then you get the theater to yourself!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18701 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
It has been raining in Orlando since yesterday afternoon. This morning, early, with heavy cloud cover and drizzling rain, I simply can't believe the number of drivers on the roads without their headlights on, especially the two in gray cars who were passing on the right and zigzagging through traffic. One extra special SS driver was in the far left lane and suddenly needed to be in the lane four to his right, so he stopped on the expressway in 65mph traffic so he could get over!

mmswm

« Reply #18702 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
When I'm less brain dead, I might post a story or twelve.
I believe you are now obliged to >:D

Story Number One:

(Background) Tamiami trail is a two lane road that runs from Miami to Naples through the Everglades.  It is currently undergoing a massive project to raise portions of it to restore water flow (whether this is a good idea is debatable, but that's neither here nor there).  Portions of the road are reduced to one lane.  Obviously, the speed limits are quite slow on parts of it because of construction, but also there are different daytime and night time limits due to wildlife activity.  Also, the particular Indian Reservation it runs through in Miami-Dade County is notoriously evil about speeding tickets.

So, I'm motoring down the trail, happily cruising at the posted speed limit. SS#1 comes speeding up behind me. Now, at that exact moment, we were in a passing zone, and there was no oncoming traffic.  He could have passed me (mostly) legally and safely.  Instead he chose to follow me with his brights on for several miles.  Finally, he decides to pass, just as the passing zone was ending and when he really didn't have enough time, due to a car approaching in the opposite late.  Cue the flashing blue lights.  Sweet justice.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18703 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
Our boys are no longer allowed to go over to a friends after something their friend's dad pulled last week. 

bg: We live about 3 blocks from our very pretty city park that has been there since the 1800's and is very nicely kept, with a lovely large pond, an art museum and gallery at different ends of the park, etc.  There is a wide field that has two baseball fields and backs up to train tracks.  Bikes aren't even allowed in the park, or skateboards, and their friend's dad took them and his son over there in a 4 wheeler.    ::)

Someone apparently called the police to get the guy to leave so he did, leaving our sons (11 and 10) behind at the park by themselves.  Thankfully they're old enough to be there by themselves and can safely get home on their own, which they did.  And even if they weren't, my oldest has a cell phone and could have called DH to come get them (I was out for a few hours while this was happening).   Pirateboy2 told me he and his brother had gone somewhere (to the bathroom I think, though the park locks the bathrooms in the winter but they always forget that) and when they came back, the guy and his son were gone.  Didn't even make an attempt of any sort to let the boys know he had to leave. (and they do have Pirateboy 1's phone number)

Their friend is allowed to come over and play at our house but in showing bad judgement and being a SS, we don't trust the dad to make good decisions with our kids around. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:59:10 AM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MayHug

« Reply #18704 on: January 05, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
My little grandson obviously thinks I'm a special snowflake. He got me a snowflake necklace for Christmas and it says " Nana , you're one of a kind"  :-)

I wear it with pride, but it did make me chuckle :-)