Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5513156 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18705 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
^ He was ripping up a public park on a four-wheeler.  A park that doesn't even allow bicycles and skateboards.

Um ... yeah, I'd not be letting him take my kids anywhere.  Good decision on your part!!

Hillia

« Reply #18706 on: January 05, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
Either he bolted before the cops got there, or the cops talked to him and told him to get out now before he got a ticket.  In either case, he saved his own skin with no regard for the children he was responsible for. He'd be getting a serious piece of my mind - I don't care that the kids were safe at the park and could get home, he was responsible for them and had no business abandoning that responsibility.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18707 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
There is reporting to the police that when they kicked him out, he failed to mention that he had two neighbor kids in his group, not just his own child.  So he "endangered" a child - but that would be causing legal trouble to someone who isn't capable of realizing that he has already called in a nuclear strike on his own head - just the etiquette version, instead of the legal version.  Because I'm sure that he is getting the the cut direct and only  his son is "visible" to your family!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18708 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Wow, that 4-wheeler would really tear up the grounds!!! There was a news story recently of a parent charged $25,000 to replace grass after doing donuts at a park with his pickup.

And 10-11 is too young to just leave...they sound like a pack of wolves.  Your approach is right.

Obligatory defense of wolves: They are actually far better parents than many human beings. Certainly far better than this man.

I'd be furious!  But I'd also be wondering what the other father did that was so egregious that someone felt the need to call the police on him.  I think maybe that would upset me more than even his leaving my kids all alone without even telling them he was leaving, and that would have upset me a LOT!   >:(

To add to the above explanation, I believe that by "four wheeler," PirateLvr meant an All Terrain Vehicle with four wheels. A gas-powered vehicle suitable for off-road use; completely wrong for a nice, grassy public park. The only thing worse would have been if he took his roto-tiller to the park to practice with.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Shalamar

« Reply #18709 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
I occasionally take part in clinical studies.   They're usually to test to see how well moisturizers work.  Sometimes I go for several visits that last an hour each, and sometimes the visit is for a 12 hour period.  For the latter, we have to stay in the same room for the entire 12 hours (excluding bathroom breaks).   Because we can't leave, we're told to bring our own food and beverages.

Apparently Mrs. SS didn't get that memo, because she immediately started yelling.  "What do you MEAN, I can't leave?  I'm HUNGRY!  No one told me I had to bring food!"   (Yes, they had.  Several times.).  "I'm going to STARRRVE!"

Finally, an employee went to the nearby Burger King and got her lunch.   I don't think she paid them, either.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18710 on: January 05, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
I'd be furious!  But I'd also be wondering what the other father did that was so egregious that someone felt the need to call the police on him.  I think maybe that would upset me more than even his leaving my kids all alone without even telling them he was leaving, and that would have upset me a LOT!   >:(

To add to the above explanation, I believe that by "four wheeler," PirateLvr meant an All Terrain Vehicle with four wheels. A gas-powered vehicle suitable for off-road use; completely wrong for a nice, grassy public park. The only thing worse would have been if he took his roto-tiller to the park to practice with.
I disagree.  The roto-tiller would probably cause less overall damage, since it doesn't take off at 40mph and go all over the whole park.  I hope he gets hit with a heavy fine on top of paying for the damage to the park.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Indigosails

« Reply #18711 on: January 05, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
Our boys are no longer allowed to go over to a friends after something their friend's dad pulled last week. 

bg: We live about 3 blocks from our very pretty city park that has been there since the 1800's and is very nicely kept, with a lovely large pond, an art museum and gallery at different ends of the park, etc.  There is a wide field that has two baseball fields and backs up to train tracks.  Bikes aren't even allowed in the park, or skateboards, and their friend's dad took them and his son over there in a 4 wheeler.    ::)

Someone apparently called the police to get the guy to leave so he did, leaving our sons (11 and 10) behind at the park by themselves.  Thankfully they're old enough to be there by themselves and can safely get home on their own, which they did.  And even if they weren't, my oldest has a cell phone and could have called DH to come get them (I was out for a few hours while this was happening).   Pirateboy2 told me he and his brother had gone somewhere (to the bathroom I think, though the park locks the bathrooms in the winter but they always forget that) and when they came back, the guy and his son were gone.  Didn't even make an attempt of any sort to let the boys know he had to leave. (and they do have Pirateboy 1's phone number)

Their friend is allowed to come over and play at our house but in showing bad judgement and being a SS, we don't trust the dad to make good decisions with our kids around.
How did he manage to fit 3 boys on the 4-wheeler? That is not safe. I would be very upset with the father.

Jocelyn

« Reply #18712 on: January 05, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

How did he manage to fit 3 boys on the 4-wheeler? That is not safe. I would be very upset with the father.

Probably the same way parents and grandparents fit themselves and two kids on a riding lawnmower. It frequently turns out badly, but you can't convince some people that a preschooler and a riding mower are a recipe for disaster.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18713 on: January 05, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
I did mean an ATV, though having never seen this, I don't know how big it is but most I've seen don't have enough seating for 3 kids.  The boys didn't say they rode on it to get there. 

But that was one thing that ticked DH and I off, that while we realized the police probably told him to get lost now, he could have at least said "Look, I brought 2 other children with me to the park." Indeed, he has brought an etiquette strike on his head as he can forget having the boys over there ever again.  He's never done anything like that before and well as a friend would say he made two trips out of that one, his first and his last.   

I would say something to him but for it being a week later and not being sure he'd even get how stupid he was.   ::) 

The boys didn't tell me just what he did with the ATV vehicle but as the police were called it made me wonder if someone asked him to stop and when he blew them off, they called the cops. Or someone saw it and just called.  The guy is divorced and I think the dad only has him on weekends, and the boys haven't been getting together with this kid often but now it'll probably be even less now that we won't let the boys go over there.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowdragon

« Reply #18714 on: January 06, 2013, 01:23:31 AM »
   Several of the crafters in my family have had a tradition of decorating a small ( table top) tree with "take away" ornaments, this has been a tradition for longer than I can remember ( I am 51) . These are hand made and range from the very simple to the very beautiful. The tradition is that each person who comes over is encouraged to take ONE ornament home with them. One per person is the rule.
   One aunt (Terry)  has the creativity to make several different types/designs for her tree. Today we had the family Christmas get together at this aunt's home and several folks noticed her tree was already down. Another aunt ( Beth) make the remark to Terry that she must have given all her "take out orders" away already. At this Terry told us the tale of Susie Snowflake and her mother. 
   Susie Snowflake's mother is the friend of a friend of Terry's who had asked Terry to alter a dress for Susie. Terry agreed and when Susie and Mommy Snowflake came for the fitting, they noticed the tree and Terry, following the tradition told them that they could have one each and went to her sewing room to get some of her tools for the fitting. When she returned she noticed that Susie had several ornaments in her hands and was trying to get more off the tree. Terry reminded her that she could only have one and Susie wanted to know "Why? I want one of each!" Terry replied the limit was one person so that everyone who came could have one. Susie's reply was "I don't CARE about other people, I want one of each!" complete with foot stamp and yelling.  Terry looked at Mommy Snowflake for help and Mommy just smiled. So Terry went over and gently removed all but one ornament from the child's grasp and invited them to leave her home.  At this point Mommy Snowflake spoke up with "If you would just give her what she wants, this could all be so simple."  Terry again told them that the rule is one person - and Susie at that point threw the ornament she was given at Terry and shouted "If I can't have all of those, I don't want any!" and at this point Terry TOLD them to leave.
  Terry was so upset about it, that rather than re-decorate the denuded tree, she just took it down, that was the first week of Advent - so most of Terry's Holiday guests were not able to participate in the 50+ year tradition because of the one greedy, indulged child and a mother who thinks nothing of her child's behavior.

Iris

« Reply #18715 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »
   Several of the crafters in my family have had a tradition of decorating a small ( table top) tree with "take away" ornaments, this has been a tradition for longer than I can remember ( I am 51) . These are hand made and range from the very simple to the very beautiful. The tradition is that each person who comes over is encouraged to take ONE ornament home with them. One per person is the rule.
   One aunt (Terry)  has the creativity to make several different types/designs for her tree. Today we had the family Christmas get together at this aunt's home and several folks noticed her tree was already down. Another aunt ( Beth) make the remark to Terry that she must have given all her "take out orders" away already. At this Terry told us the tale of Susie Snowflake and her mother. 
   Susie Snowflake's mother is the friend of a friend of Terry's who had asked Terry to alter a dress for Susie. Terry agreed and when Susie and Mommy Snowflake came for the fitting, they noticed the tree and Terry, following the tradition told them that they could have one each and went to her sewing room to get some of her tools for the fitting. When she returned she noticed that Susie had several ornaments in her hands and was trying to get more off the tree. Terry reminded her that she could only have one and Susie wanted to know "Why? I want one of each!" Terry replied the limit was one person so that everyone who came could have one. Susie's reply was "I don't CARE about other people, I want one of each!" complete with foot stamp and yelling.  Terry looked at Mommy Snowflake for help and Mommy just smiled. So Terry went over and gently removed all but one ornament from the child's grasp and invited them to leave her home.  At this point Mommy Snowflake spoke up with "If you would just give her what she wants, this could all be so simple."  Terry again told them that the rule is one person - and Susie at that point threw the ornament she was given at Terry and shouted "If I can't have all of those, I don't want any!" and at this point Terry TOLD them to leave.
  Terry was so upset about it, that rather than re-decorate the denuded tree, she just took it down, that was the first week of Advent - so most of Terry's Holiday guests were not able to participate in the 50+ year tradition because of the one greedy, indulged child and a mother who thinks nothing of her child's behavior.

That's so sad! I think that is a beautiful tradition and I hope it doesn't turn Terry off it forever. As to Susie and her mother, I don't believe I'd allow them in my home again.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #18716 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:25 AM »

The bolded just made my jaw drop. Depending on Susie's age, her actions could be forgiven. But her mother's reaction is doing her daughter a disservice so huge it's out of this world.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18717 on: January 06, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »

That's so sad! I think that is a beautiful tradition and I hope it doesn't turn Terry off it forever. As to Susie and her mother, I don't believe I'd allow them in my home again.

Wow - if I ever behaved like that at someone's house, my mom would take me out so fast my head would have spun around!  It's sad that one bratty child, and her mom had to spoil things, but kudos to Terry for sticking to her guns, and not giving in!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18718 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
     I had gotten there early....and got a seat I wanted, only to be TOLD that I needed to move to accommodate these folks, to a seat where my mother could not sit with me.

Why did you do it? You didn't have to.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18719 on: January 06, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
So, speaking of special snowflakes...here's one for you. I rather think it will speak for itself:

Yup. That's our driveway. And that's how our neighbors and their guests park every.single.day.

Anyone want to guess why we're itching to move out?  >:(

And you're not having them towed because ...
Words mean things.