Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5085404 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18750 on: January 07, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
Margo: supertasters, in general, don't just "taste better" than other people. They specifically pick up one or more types of flavours more strongly than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

So to have someone claim that they won't eat brocolli because they are a supertaster, while they are cheerfully eating kale, drinking coffee, and love dry wine- and they've never been professionally diagnosed as one- well, it's more likely they just don't like brocolli- since they eat many of the other common food categories.

While I wouldn't call myself a supertaster, I do experience this with several things, including black pepper. To me, anything that contains it, that's all I can taste, and it burns my mouth like crazy. The same thing with walnuts. I detest the taste of them, and anything I might eat that has them in it, that's all I taste, even the most delicious, fudgy, gooey brownie. So I just try and avoid these ingredients.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #18751 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »

While I wouldn't call myself a supertaster, I do experience this with several things, including black pepper. To me, anything that contains it, that's all I can taste, and it burns my mouth like crazy. The same thing with walnuts. I detest the taste of them, and anything I might eat that has them in it, that's all I taste, even the most delicious, fudgy, gooey brownie. So I just try and avoid these ingredients.

This is me. I don't like the taste of blackpepper, walnuts, cilantro, and oregano. I will use a small amount of black pepper when I am cooking, but I won't use any of the others. I detest Pizza Hut pizza because of the oregano. I love mexican food, but I always ask for them to omit the cilantro.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18752 on: January 07, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
For the black pepper supertasters - try white pepper.  The Sweetie can't stand black pepper and says even a tiny bit overwhelms the taste of anything it's in. I experimented and found that white pepper doesn't do that.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

snowflake

« Reply #18753 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Margo: supertasters, in general, don't just "taste better" than other people. They specifically pick up one or more types of flavours more strongly than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

So to have someone claim that they won't eat brocolli because they are a supertaster, while they are cheerfully eating kale, drinking coffee, and love dry wine- and they've never been professionally diagnosed as one- well, it's more likely they just don't like brocolli- since they eat many of the other common food categories.

I wouldn't call myself a supertaster either.  I happily down strong cheeses and I can't tell the difference between wines.  (Really, it tastes like old grape juice.)  But there are some foods where I can't get away from one taste and black pepper and walnuts are on that list as is lemongrass.  When I am served anything with black pepper I just smile politely and swallow without chewing.  For some reason those tastes give me the shudders and I can't notice anything else about the food while tasting them.

I guess garlic and cilantro figure in there too, but I don't mind those at all.

Isilleke

« Reply #18754 on: January 07, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
I'm a picky eater I guess. Although I also pick up some flavours quicker than my siblings (e.g. for me it's too much spice while they say they barely taste it or when there's paprika in it, it ruins the whole dish for me).
I always blamed my parents for not forcing me to eat everything on my plate, but I see now with my two nephews, that it's probably both. One of my nephews doesn't want to eat meat at all, he refuses. He does have to eat three pieces (he's 3 years old) and manages but it does take him a lot of effort. The same with other food, even if he liked it before, you can never tell if he will eat it again.
The 1 year old on the other hand eats everything and gets very angry when he sees someone eating something that he doesn't have. Even if he doesn't like it, he will just keep on eating it.
So I think that, as a parent, the most you can do is teach your children to always try everything and to be polite about it and hope that one day they will actually learn to eat most things.

I nominate my work for an SS award.

They refuse to hire nonstudents to be hosts (manning the cash register and cleaning cinema rooms) and then get upset when they don't find enough people to work during exam periods.

A friend of mine wanted to come back parttime, because she only found a parttime teaching job and was told that they don't hire nonstudents. Which is their right, but only two days later they send an email to all hosts that they are disappointed with us because they can't find anyone willing to work more during exam periods.
Even if you work 1 or 2 days extra they get mad since it isn't enough. (Which for most of us made us work 5 days of our 14 days we had to study)...

MissRose

« Reply #18755 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
I am getting fed up with the SS drivers in a certain segment of my town.  One intersection has a business located at each of the 4 corners (one a golden arches, one a KFC, a pharmacy and gas station each occupying a corner).  The intersection is busy and even more so during lunch time & from about 3:30 pm to 5pm due to it close to many other businesses & a few schools.

Some of the drivers:

*Make turns on the busy road without looking (mainly lefts) and there are have been some close calls.  Other times accidents have happened due to people not having a bit of patience and waiting.

*Some people trying to turn left onto one street from one business where the driveway to setup to prohibit that type of turn onto the busy street.

*There are signs prohibiting right hand turns on red lights.  Yet it is done anyways even if the turn type is legal if traffic is clear at other intersections.

*People sticking their "car noses" out when trying to turn onto the road and some people are close to hitting those people who need to stop a few inches sooner to avoid issue.

Momiitz

« Reply #18756 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Could we please move the super taster discussion to its own thread. I enjoy this thread and would hate to see it locked.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18757 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
Thank you for posting that. I also get annoyed by the suggestion that picky eaters were "spoiled" by permissive parents.

Why? A lot of them are.

Because picky eaters are born that way.  At most the parents can get them to try new things, not make a disgusted face at the foods they dislike, and make an effort when they're guests. That won't turn them into non-picky eaters, just into civilized ones.

For any parents that have accomplished this, thank you. There are people I socialize with in their 30s and 40s who haven't learned the bolded.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18758 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
Thank you for posting that. I also get annoyed by the suggestion that picky eaters were "spoiled" by permissive parents.

Why? A lot of them are.

And you know this, how?

Of the ones I know, as I said above all children, I know their parents and I've seen it happen. "Oh honey, it's okay, you don't have to eat the nasty grown-up food if you want, I'll make you some mac and cheese." Where I come from, making an entire extra meal to cater to a child's want is spoiling the child.
Yes, that's spoiling a child. My kids had dislikes, like everyone does.  If they didn't want to eat the veggie that I know they didn't like, they didn't have to.  But they DID have to eat the rest of the meal.  If they didn't do anything but drink their milk and then claim "full", they got told that children who are too full to eat their dinner are too full for dessert or anything else until the next meal.  (And they're raising their sons the same way.)

And I don't remember that restaurants 30 years ago had special children's menus, all the same 6 or 7 things like mac'n'cheese and chicken nuggets.  When they were little, we either shared what was on our plates with them or ordered an entree for them to split. By the time we went to England, they were adventurous eaters who would at least try almost anything.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #18759 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
*trimmed*

And I don't remember that restaurants 30 years ago had special children's menus, all the same 6 or 7 things like mac'n'cheese and chicken nuggets.  When they were little, we either shared what was on our plates with them or ordered an entree for them to split. By the time we went to England, they were adventurous eaters who would at least try almost anything.

And that is roughly what I do with my son and hopefully it will hold up as he gets older. I do skim the "kid's menu" to see if there is anything there I want him to have, but he still ends up with something similar to what we're eating, in a smaller portion. I had to deal with my brother being an insanely picky eater growing up and I refuse to deal with that again. DH is picky, but can order for himself, pick out stuff he doesn't like, or quietly avoid it.

On the special snowflake front, I guess staying home sick most of the past 2 weeks has let me miss out on any spectacular specialness. The worst I can think of was the aquiantance at a Christmas party who bought some very dirty presents for the Dirty Santa game, and thought other people's discomfort was hilarious. I'm just glad I was able to swap mine for some earrings, but now I know way too much about the person I swapped with and their ideas of fun.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18760 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
There are a couple of bits like that near me - they go round the edge of the roundabouts but separated by a media so you don't have anyone to give way to.  I was driving behind someone and we hit two within half a mile and this person stopped at both.  Bearing in mind it was a 50mph road so I've got vehicle s coming at me at that speed and this guy won't move!!!

When my mother came down for DD#1's graduation from high school, we were driving up a 2 lane highway, with a center passing and turning lane for a short portion of it.  This was a road that a LOT of the big rigs that service farms use - these are large vehicles, and many of them are fully loaded when using this road, so stopping quickly is NOT going to happen.  Mom and I were coming up on the passing and turn lane, and somebody from the housing complex swung out into the lane, and stopped, waiting for us and the farm trucks to pass by so they could enter the driving lane.  Mom comes to a screeching halt IN the DRIVING lane, thinking that the car in the turn lane is in front of us, instead of one lane left of us.  I tell her that the car is next to, not in front of us, AND there are big rigs bearing down behind us and we're going to be hamburger very soon if she doesn't motivate asap!  I got her to get moving again just as the truck behind us started honking and using his brakes, and we got out of there.  I nearly wet my pants...  Mom really did not believe me that the other car was next to us, even as she passed him still sitting there. 

That was the last time any of us got in the car with her driving.  I told the girls they weren't allowed any more, I told Mom that none of us would be riding with her anymore, and I wrote a letter to the DMV describing our close call.  DMV didn't do anything about it.  I finally got Mom's car away from her after her 2nd hip replacement, when dementia had become obvious and was confirmed by the doctor in a letter I took to the DMV.  It was nearly 5 years after that first close call.  In that time, she totaled the car she had, and had no clue how the accident had happened.  She had her license suspended until she took 2 classes mandated by the DMV, and got another car, which she had a few more accidents in, and again did not know how they had happened.  She got lost while traveling to our house for Christmas, and couldn't tell me how she got lost, and didn't have a good reason for not leaving hours earlier so she'd get to our place before dark.  It was a long and frustrating period that I spent wondering if she was going to get into an accident that hurt somebody.

Still catching up, but that is sad.  My grandparents got lost on the way here for Christmas.  New grandma I can forgive, since she hasn't lived in DesertTown for more than a year at this point.  But Grandpa?  He transferred here when my mum was in Highschool, is why we live here in the first place, and has driven to our house many many times.  Its not like we've ever moved, either, and there's around 3, feasible, direct routes, plus some awful number of scenic routes.  Mum's looking to have Grandma and Grandpa put under care, though this has angered him to no end.  Nevermind any other scary incidents that have happened recently with them... :'(

Miss March

« Reply #18761 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
Witnessed at my local library. Someone had used Inter-library loan to request season two of "Downton Abbey" and it was visible on the Special Orders shelf behind the front desk. SS was the woman standing at the counter, arguing with the librarian that she wanted to check out the dvds. The librarian kept explaining that those dvds were being held for the person who requested them, and if SS wanted to check them out, she would need to reserve them herself and wait her turn. The SS was pulling this whole "Don't you know who I am?" attitude with the librarian, who stayed composed through the whole thing. Finally SS stomped off making some angry remark about how she'd just buy the dvds and not need to come back to the library anymore. I hope she meant it- I don't think the library staff particularly wants her to come back!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #18762 on: January 07, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »
Witnessed at my local library. Someone had used Inter-library loan to request season two of "Downton Abbey" and it was visible on the Special Orders shelf behind the front desk. SS was the woman standing at the counter, arguing with the librarian that she wanted to check out the dvds. The librarian kept explaining that those dvds were being held for the person who requested them, and if SS wanted to check them out, she would need to reserve them herself and wait her turn. The SS was pulling this whole "Don't you know who I am?" attitude with the librarian, who stayed composed through the whole thing. Finally SS stomped off making some angry remark about how she'd just buy the dvds and not need to come back to the library anymore. I hope she meant it- I don't think the library staff particularly wants her to come back!

Considering she pays the same taxes to support the library whether she uses it or not, I'm not really sure what kind of point she's trying to make.

Emmy

« Reply #18763 on: January 07, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »

Why? A lot of them are.

And you know this, how?

Of the ones I know, as I said above all children, I know their parents and I've seen it happen. "Oh honey, it's okay, you don't have to eat the nasty grown-up food if you want, I'll make you some mac and cheese." Where I come from, making an entire extra meal to cater to a child's want is spoiling the child.
Yes, that's spoiling a child. My kids had dislikes, like everyone does.  If they didn't want to eat the veggie that I know they didn't like, they didn't have to.  But they DID have to eat the rest of the meal.  If they didn't do anything but drink their milk and then claim "full", they got told that children who are too full to eat their dinner are too full for dessert or anything else until the next meal.  (And they're raising their sons the same way.)

It's unfair to assume it is just the parents that make kids a picky eater.  I was raised in a household where we were expected to try everything and special meals were not made for the picky.  I ate almost everything and enjoyed it while my brother only liked a few things and would often be stubborn about eating if the food was not his preference.  My brother was still picky, he just wasn't catered to and there were unpleasant dinner table battles of trying to get him to eat.  I know other parents with picky kids who would cater to them because the kids wouldn't eat anything at all and they were afraid for their health.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #18764 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
I came across an SS driver today. I was stopped at a red light, and the millisecond that the light turned green the car next to me started honking for me to go. SS horn honker was in a left turn lane, but wanted to get into my lane and go straight instead. Even with my "delay" I was still the first vehicle to enter the intersection, so it's not like I was sitting there ignoring the green.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz