Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5518519 times)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18765 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
My older daughter was a special kind of picky eater.  When she was little and didn't want to eat what we were having, we tried the "It's either this or nothing" routine.  She said "Okay!" and happily hopped down from her chair to go play.  We said "Um ... that means NOTHING.  No coming to us later and saying you're hungry."  "Okay!"  And she meant it, too.   If she ever did get hungry later, we didn't hear about it.    Meanwhile, I was fretting about starving my kid.  :)

Both of my kids were like this.  They'd happily go hungry for 4 hours between meals before they'd eat something they didn't want.  Food was not a priority for them once they were older than 2.  My son would happily eat just about any protein or fruit you'd put in front of him.  But he was not going to have anything to do with vegetables other than brocolli (go figure).  His pediatrician said to not worry about it but of course I did because I WANTED one of those kids who happily ate their salads, carrots, peas, beans.  One of the Ped's nurses told me the problem was that he knew he just had to go a few hours before he could fill up on protein and carbs again so what I needed to do was only offer him protein for breakfast then at lunch and dinner, only offer vegetables and limit his milk to 8 oz at breakfast/lunch/dinner and afternoon snack.  Let me tell you, a 4 year old can go for 3 days on a breakfast of a sausage link, an egg, a slice of toast and 4 glasses of milk without complaining about being hungry.  After 3 days, my DH and I were both tired of vegetarian dinners and I was worried sick he was going to starve so reconcilled that he was going to never be a big vegetable eater.  What I later discovered when he was around 6 was that most vegetables were too mild of a flavor for him.  He likes bolder flavors so his favorites are brocolli, cauliflower, collard greens, cabbage and spinach, things I had been conditioned to believe were kid's least favorite vegetables so didn't cook often (except brocolli because that was his older sister's favorite veggie too).  I mean if I couldn't get him to eat mashed potatoes, what chance did cauliflower have? Oh well, live and learn.

You just gave me hope.  My DS is exactly like this.   We tried everything but he would go hungry or not eat over eating something he doesn't like.   Maybe there is hope for DS and vegetables after all. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18766 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
Can we please move the picky eater conversation to another thread?

mmswm

« Reply #18767 on: January 07, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
I'm currently waiting in an emergency room waiting room.  My 11 year old sister decided to race my 10 year old brother and my 10 year old son across the yard, but she was wearing flip flops and tripped, landing face first on a rock.  My mother can't drive due to recent ankle surgery, so my father stayed with the boys while I drove my mother and sister.

So, I drop my mother and sister off at the entry way and race to find a parking spot, which thankfully took all 30 seconds because there was an open handicapped spot right up front.  I came in just in time to see this woman literally shove my mother out of the way to get to the registration desk first.  My mother is 64 years old, has her left foot in a walking cast and her right knee in a brace (30 year old knee replacement that needs to be replaced again).  Now, if this woman's kid looked like he was at all sick, I might understand, but the kid was bouncing around like a normal, healthy kid.  I also understand that there are "hidden" issues, but that's no reason to shove an old, obviously injured, walker-using woman out of the way.

So, this woman then gets to the registration area and is talking loud enough for half of Miami to hear her.  Apparently the kid has asthma and "needs his breathing checked", and also, "can he be fast tracked because of his condition".  Now, two of my kids have asthma.  I can recognize and asthmatic emergency.  This kid did NOT have an emergency going on.

After all that, my sister still got a room before this kid did.

Edited to add:  I apologize for any confusion in the body of this post.  I started to post while we were in the waiting room, but half way through we got called back to an exam room.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:30:48 PM by mmswm »
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18768 on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
Enough of the picky eaters, okay? Move on please.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18769 on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
I would have said something to the rude woman. I don't think I could have helped myself. I hope your little sister is okay.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18770 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
If that was my mother I would've been angrier than the whole hornet's nest.  Really?  Who does that?  I would not have resorted to watching it, I would have said something.

Actually, reading that just makes me all sorts of angry.  I hope your mother and your sister are okay.

rain

« Reply #18771 on: January 07, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
Could we please move the super taster discussion to its own thread. I enjoy this thread and would hate to see it locked.

ITA - if someone hasn't done it already, I'm going to start a "picky eaters" thread in the "Time for a Coffee Break" forum
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:45:38 PM by rain »
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18772 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
If that was my mother I would've been angrier than the whole hornet's nest.  Really?  Who does that?  I would not have resorted to watching it, I would have said something.

Actually, reading that just makes me all sorts of angry.  I hope your mother and your sister are okay.

I'd have gone straight to the desk, interrupted the SS talking, and have spoken straight to the nurse/receptionist.  "Excuse me, but this woman just shoved my disabled mother out of the way to get here first.  Could you please have someone make sure my mother is alright before you help this woman?"
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #18773 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »

Well, I was in that awkward position of being close enough to see it, but far enough away to not be able to immediately intervene.  I did see the security guard say something, and my mother didn't want me making a scene, so I let it drop.

My sister will be fine.  She has an appointment with a plastic surgeon first thing in the morning.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Minmom3

« Reply #18774 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:10 AM »
clipped

Still catching up, but that is sad.  My grandparents got lost on the way here for Christmas.  New grandma I can forgive, since she hasn't lived in DesertTown for more than a year at this point.  But Grandpa?  He transferred here when my mum was in Highschool, is why we live here in the first place, and has driven to our house many many times.  Its not like we've ever moved, either, and there's around 3, feasible, direct routes, plus some awful number of scenic routes.  Mum's looking to have Grandma and Grandpa put under care, though this has angered him to no end.  Nevermind any other scary incidents that have happened recently with them... :'(

It is sad.  It's terrifying too.  My mom was a good traveler in her life.  She took herself to Europe and lived there for a year, and had all kinds of adventures, at age 22-23.  Took herself back to London about 10 years ago.  Had fun that time too, for another year.  But that memory thing just guts their brains.  I had written out very good text directions on how to get to my house.  Take Hwy 101 south to Bleah exit.  Turn left at bottom of ramp and go .3 miles.  You will be at Fumblebum Way.  Turn left and go 2.7 miles.  And so on.  She had followed those directions for years (literally, the same piece of paper, she kept it in her glove box).  Between the two hip replacements, she stopped being able to follow them, nor could she remember the landmarks that hadn't changed any.  She would get lost and find herself and reorient as long as it was day time, but it became impossible to leave early enough to arrive in daytime.  I had a hotel lobby call me up and beg me to come GET HER because she was driving him nuts.  She was about 3 freeway exits from me, but only about 20 minutes, so I went and got her, and she followed me back to my apartment.  We had tried, for a few years, to go up to her place so she wouldn't have to travel, but her tiny apartment was SO small, and she couldn't be trusted to cook anymore, and we lived 3 hours away, and it really did not work at all.  As long as she could drive down, she could come and stay for a few days.

It was a HUGE relief when I got her into care.  It was bumpy, because she was furious that she was suddenly so curtailed, but she really did not see how her condition had caused the whole thing.  It just was not safe for her to live alone anymore.  If nothing else, she likes her bedtime brandy, and combining that with two strong sleeping pills meant she spent the night on the kitchen floor one time, because she passed out after a dinner out, and wasn't found until the next morning by a neighbor.  Mom had no idea how she had come to be on the floor, and it truly is amazing that she didn't hit her head on the very sharp corner of the kitchen counter and bleed out.  No unexplained fainting since we took away her brandy, and the doctor put her on a sleeping pill her liver can handle better. 

She was an extremely difficult woman, and we had a very rocky relationship.  I am grateful that her memory issues have now made her a much meeker person, so less difficult for me to help her.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #18775 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
DH and I were looking at furniture this morning and on the way back to my mum's I stopped at ASDA. As I was leaving, I drove past the biggest SS I have ever seen. There was a row of Disabled Parking and some one had parked blocking two, if not three, of the spaces. Not even parked in the spaces but on the road in front of the spaces.
I will draw it as describing it might not work.  D is the disabled spaces. The car was empty so not even some one waiting to load. The loading area right in front of them was empty as well.

store front
        | D | D | D| D |     door
                   -Car-     \Designated loading area\

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #18776 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
My sociopath older sister strikes again.

This time she took our parents car (without their knowledge or permission) out of state. I'm watching the horizon for the fireworks that will greet her when her sorry butt gets home.

Woooooooooow.  :o  (Did I put enough "o"'s to express my shock?).  Do let us know what happens?

Dad says he's kicking her out of the house. Good riddance. If it had been my car I would have reported it stolen and had her arrested.

Apparently she didn't like the message I left on her Facebook page about her being an idiot for taking the Jeep without permission, so she unfriended me. Boo-Freakin'-Hoo. That'll show me!  ::)

Her e-mail is gone from my contacts. If I never speak to her again, so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I've washed my hands of her.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #18777 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
My sociopath older sister strikes again.

This time she took our parents car (without their knowledge or permission) out of state. I'm watching the horizon for the fireworks that will greet her when her sorry butt gets home.

Woooooooooow.  :o  (Did I put enough "o"'s to express my shock?).  Do let us know what happens?

Dad says he's kicking her out of the house. Good riddance. If it had been my car I would have reported it stolen and had her arrested.

Apparently she didn't like the message I left on her Facebook page about her being an idiot for taking the Jeep without permission, so she unfriended me. Boo-Freakin'-Hoo. That'll show me!  ::)

Her e-mail is gone from my contacts. If I never speak to her again, so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I've washed my hands of her.

Has she even come back with the Jeep yet?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #18778 on: January 08, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

Has she even come back with the Jeep yet?

Yes, she has.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #18779 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
SS - "lines are for other people"

This past summer my DH, a friend, and I went to dinner.  The restaurant's lobby was busy/crowded but there was a clear line to the hostess stand.  A woman came in behind me and slowly moved this way and that way and carefully worked her way forward.  I kept an eye on her because I was suspicious of her game and sure enough, she cut in line and gave her party's information ahead of the woman ahead of me.  Of course the woman ahead of me noticed but she didn't say anything (we are a small community and people do just let some things slide).  However, when I got to the hostess stand I gave them my party's information and pointed to the name 2 above mine and said that woman had cut in front of me and the prior woman.  The hostess looked at the other woman who nodded her head in agreement.  We were both seated before the woman who cut.  :)