Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5273220 times)

JoW

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18825 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »
I seriously doubt there is any municipality in the US that is densely populated enough to have a garage sale where there is also an ordinance giving permission to post signs on a parkway/grass strip.  Most cities/villages/towns have ordinaces against obstructions because it is a traffic hazzard.  Imagine walking out of your house and finding signs stuck in your parkway.  How are you supposed to mow it?
My city has a law against posting signs on publicly-owned land along a road and requiring that the owner of the ajoining land take them down.  I've taken several down along the front edge of my property. 

Poppea

« Reply #18826 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
I seriously doubt there is any municipality in the US that is densely populated enough to have a garage sale where there is also an ordinance giving permission to post signs on a parkway/grass strip.  Most cities/villages/towns have ordinaces against obstructions because it is a traffic hazzard.  Imagine walking out of your house and finding signs stuck in your parkway.  How are you supposed to mow it?
My city has a law against posting signs on publicly-owned land along a road and requiring that the owner of the ajoining land take them down.  I've taken several down along the front edge of my property.

Exactly.  My town sends out a notice every election season reminding homeowners that any political signs "must" be on private property and are absolutely not allowed on the parkway.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:38:39 PM by Anthera »

Shalamar

« Reply #18827 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
Well, I'm in Canada, for what it's worth.   And we had put our signs on the strips of grass that belonged to the city.

I guess what bothered me the most was not that someone took down the signs, but that they kept them.   My friend worked hard on them, and we'd hoped to reuse them at a future yard sale.    Even just leaving them on the grass with a note that said "HEY, JERK, DON'T PUT SIGNS HERE" would've been preferable.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #18828 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »
I ran into a SS at Walmart tonight.  ::) I know, I know, I'll give you all a minute to get over your shock [/sarcasm]

Throughout the store there are a few of those price scanners in the aisles so that you can do a quick price check without having to find a cashier. I went to check on a soccer ball and saw that the scanner I wanted was in use by a woman with a very full cart. So I patiently waited for 4-5 minutes before I realized that she was scanning every single item in her cart. I decided that I would pick up a few other things I needed and come back. 15 min later, she was still there, scanning away. Personally, I've never used the scanners for more than 2 or 3 things at a time, but live and let live, right? First come, first serve; she has just as much right to use the machine as I do. So, I gave up on the scanner, wandered around for a while longer and eventually decided to get in line to check out. As it usually happens, as soon as I picked a line, I remembered the one thing I actually came to the store to get. I happened to notice on my way out that the woman was gone, but she had left a HUGE pile of stuff on the floor in front of the scanner.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18829 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
I ran into a SS at Walmart tonight.  ::) I know, I know, I'll give you all a minute to get over your shock [/sarcasm]

Throughout the store there are a few of those price scanners in the aisles so that you can do a quick price check without having to find a cashier. I went to check on a soccer ball and saw that the scanner I wanted was in use by a woman with a very full cart. So I patiently waited for 4-5 minutes before I realized that she was scanning every single item in her cart. I decided that I would pick up a few other things I needed and come back. 15 min later, she was still there, scanning away. Personally, I've never used the scanners for more than 2 or 3 things at a time, but live and let live, right? First come, first serve; she has just as much right to use the machine as I do. So, I gave up on the scanner, wandered around for a while longer and eventually decided to get in line to check out. As it usually happens, as soon as I picked a line, I remembered the one thing I actually came to the store to get. I happened to notice on my way out that the woman was gone, but she had left a HUGE pile of stuff on the floor in front of the scanner.

I see that a lot at department stores. I worked for one during the holiday season, and there would frequently be massive piles of clothes left at the foot of the price scanners, often times just tossed onto the floor to get dirty and crumpled.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #18830 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
Somebody alert the media!  There's a blizzard in Miami, FL!

I remember now why I hate it here so much.  Everyday it's something different.

Today, I drove my mother and sister to the plastic surgeon's office for phase two of "repair lil' sister's eyebrow". The surgeon's office was on the second floor of the building.  When we got off the elevator, there were some guys there with a bunch of Christmas decorations, presumably going up the elevator to put them back into storage.  I got off the elevator and went in the only direction I could, which was the opposite direction of where I needed to go.  I also needed to make sure my sister, my son and my mother had also gotten off the elevator so Christmas Tree guy could get on the elevator and I could go on my way.  At this point the entire hallway is taken up.  I turned to make sure my mother was safely off the elevator and this woman wearing scrubs shoved her way past me, pushing me into my sister and both of us into Christmas Tree Guy.  No codes had been called, so there wasn't an emergency anywhere that I could tell.

Look, someone's filler's might have just completely re-absorbed which is, in the lexicon of South Florida's plastic-surgery-obsessed culture, a complete emergency.

Down here, I can see women walking by and be able to identify her plastic surgeon by his signature tucks on that woman's face.  It's so prevalent that I have to hold myself back from high-fiving anyone who has their original face!

And yes...it *it* completely noticible.  Yes, we can tell.  And yes, we judge you.

My special snowflake of the day was the rooster & hen who stopped city traffic two blocks from my Brickell office to slowly waddle across the median for better pecking....and the bicyclist who felt like circling within the intersection and tapping the car hoods of all to "remind" us not to advance while said rooster was meandering.
"We ate the pies."

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #18831 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
Somebody alert the media!  There's a blizzard in Miami, FL!

I remember now why I hate it here so much.  Everyday it's something different.

Today, I drove my mother and sister to the plastic surgeon's office for phase two of "repair lil' sister's eyebrow". The surgeon's office was on the second floor of the building.  When we got off the elevator, there were some guys there with a bunch of Christmas decorations, presumably going up the elevator to put them back into storage.  I got off the elevator and went in the only direction I could, which was the opposite direction of where I needed to go.  I also needed to make sure my sister, my son and my mother had also gotten off the elevator so Christmas Tree guy could get on the elevator and I could go on my way.  At this point the entire hallway is taken up.  I turned to make sure my mother was safely off the elevator and this woman wearing scrubs shoved her way past me, pushing me into my sister and both of us into Christmas Tree Guy.  No codes had been called, so there wasn't an emergency anywhere that I could tell.

Look, someone's filler's might have just completely re-absorbed which is, in the lexicon of South Florida's plastic-surgery-obsessed culture, a complete emergency.

Down here, I can see women walking by and be able to identify her plastic surgeon by his signature tucks on that woman's face.  It's so prevalent that I have to hold myself back from high-fiving anyone who has their original face!

And yes...it *it* completely noticible.  Yes, we can tell.  And yes, we judge you.

My special snowflake of the day was the rooster & hen who stopped city traffic two blocks from my Brickell office to slowly waddle across the median for better pecking....and the bicyclist who felt like circling within the intersection and tapping the car hoods of all to "remind" us not to advance while said rooster was meandering.

You judge random strangers for getting cosmetic surgery?

CharlieBraun

« Reply #18832 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »

As prevalent as it is down here, we can identify the surgeon, the type of procedure, the recentness of the action, and the likely longevity of the fresh-i-tude.  It's practically a scored event, like Olympic diving.
"We ate the pies."

SiotehCat

« Reply #18833 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »
Not all call centres use canned responses.  Where I work, we are given suggestions at times on how to word responses but not asked to sound scripted at the same time.  I notice the canned responses & sounding very scripted from the overseas centres (like in India as an example) a lot more compared to those where I can tell the people are either Americans or Canadians the rare times I must call customer service places for help. 

I did check my ticket and the one done by the person who took over the call.  The customer was given the detail I was attempting to give plus asked other questions from that same person that she did not ask of me.  I still think its both SS & rude  to ask for a supervisor if the person is attempting to provide an answer or possible solution to you, and you do not allow that person to finish what they have to say first then say "I do not like your answer, I want a supervisor" after the agent has finished speaking. 

I do not deny a supervisor request from a customer, but at the same time they must allow the agent to attempt to assist them first.  I know that I must remain professional and calm even if the customer is trying to rile me up at times.

Maybe they've just experienced the same "customer service" I have lately, where the sole purpose of the first people you call seems to be to make you jump through a series of hoops that don't have anything to do with your actual problem and you have to escalate to a manager to get anything accomplished. Companies will train customers that they have to do a certain thing in order to get anything done, then complain when the customers actually do that.

That doesn't mean they get to be rude.  Frustration isn't a pass for rudeness.

I agree with your last sentence, but I disagree that simply asking for a supervisor instead of going through the useless hoops first is rude. It can be done rudely, yes, but it's not inherently rude.

Interrupting someone to do so is, which is what happened in the OP.

Etiquette for dealing with business is different though. I have seen plenty of advice on ehell saying that it's not rude to interrupt telemarketers, salesmen, etc...

I have worked at plenty of call centers in the past and I never considered someone rude for just interrupting.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18834 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Etiquette for dealing with business is different though. I have seen plenty of advice on ehell saying that it's not rude to interrupt telemarketers, salesmen, etc...

I have worked at plenty of call centers in the past and I never considered someone rude for just interrupting.

Yeah, I agree. I think you can politely interrupt a telemarketer or ______, and I frequently do.  It does not one any good to waste time on a script that does nothing for the caller or the callee.  Something like this:

Customer Service Rep: I want to tell you about our extra service pl.....
Me: Thanks, but I am not interested.  Thanks for your help fixing issue A.  Have a great day!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #18835 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

<snip>

I've been thinking of getting some work done on my face.  Between almost 50 years of harsh Florida sun resulting in dark spots and fine-line wrinkles and genetics which gave me heavy, baggy eyeslids (which makes me look tired or angry), I'd really like to look nicer.

You are welcome to judge me.  I will never know.

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
« Reply #18836 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »

As prevalent as it is down here, we can identify the surgeon, the type of procedure, the recentness of the action, and the likely longevity of the fresh-i-tude.  It's practically a scored event, like Olympic diving.

This is wrong in so many ways, especially for an etiquette site.  You come across as being very superficial to be judging other people by their personal decisions. We are all entitled to what we think, but to gleefully admit you are judging people is not right.

alkira6

« Reply #18837 on: January 10, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

This is wrong in so many ways, especially for an etiquette site.  You come across as being very superficial to be judging other people by their personal decisions. We are all entitled to what we think, but to gleefully admit you are judging people is not right.

Everyone judges. Everyone.  Do they say anything? No. Silently judging is what you do. It's part of life.  What do you think the Special Snowflake thread is about?  Your post was judgemental too.

perpetua

« Reply #18838 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »

Judging is fine. Everyone does it. Where it becomes rude is when you impart this to the person you're judging, which is rather what you've just done by calling the PP superficial for her opinions.

War_Doc

« Reply #18839 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »
Get back on track and get off the plastic surgery hijack.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz