Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5749541 times)

Poppea

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18840 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Well, I'm in Canada, for what it's worth.   And we had put our signs on the strips of grass that belonged to the city.

I guess what bothered me the most was not that someone took down the signs, but that they kept them.   My friend worked hard on them, and we'd hoped to reuse them at a future yard sale.    Even just leaving them on the grass with a note that said "HEY, JERK, DON'T PUT SIGNS HERE" would've been preferable.

Did you put them on the strip of grass in front of someone else's house?  Unless you called your town hall and were told that you could stick the signs in, I think you were wrong.  Some places let you put poster or flyers on poles/posts, but sticking a sign in the ground?  I can't imagine it legal anywhere.

Honestly, I would have thrown it out because I know its illegal in my town and I wouldn't want to look at it just lying there - kind of unsightly. 

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18841 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
That's different than calling someone else, requesting help either passively or actively, then interrupting them when they try to do exactly that.  "Hey, I want your help, but I'm not going to listen to what you say and interrupt you even though I called you for help!"

I think it depends on the situation.  When it becomes clear to me that the customer service person and I are not connecting (this happens especially if there is an accent involved - over the phone I often cannot understand accented speech) or when it is clear to me the customer service person is reading from a script.

For example:

Customer Service Person: So you say the yellow wire does not connect to the box?  Thank you for sharing that with me.  Here at ____ we strive to always provide you with the highest level of service.  I am sorry that your yellow wire does not connect to the box.  I will do my best to try to help you to connect the yellow wire to the box, in accordance with the stated policies of _____, which can also be found at our website, www........"

Me:  I'm sorry, but can you please just tell me how to connect the yellow wire to the box?

CSP: So you want me to tell you how to connect the yellow wire to the box?  Thank you for sharing that with me.  Here at ____ we strive to always provide you with the highest level of service.  I am sorry that your yellow wire does not connect to the box.  I will do my best to try to help you to connect the yellow wire to the box, in accordance with the stated policies of _____, which can also be found at our website, www........"

Me:  I'm sorry, is there someone who can help me connect the yellow wire to the box?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18842 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
LOL, TurtleDove!!  I have only called for computer assistance once and that was exactly how the conversation went.  With one added attraction.  They kept switching me to other people who supposedly knew more, but who followed exactly the same script. 

They all had 'names' like Susie, Tiffany, Robert and Jim.  Pretty sure those were made up names.   ;)

Shalamar

« Reply #18843 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
Did you put them on the strip of grass in front of someone else's house? 

It's been a few years, but if memory serves, we placed them like this:

===============main road===================
***grassy boulevard with our sign*************************
-----fence that lined grassy boulevard, belonged to house-----
house

That's probably not terribly clear, but the point is that there was a fence (belonging to a home owner) that was placed between the house and the grass that had our sign.  Therefore, we figured the grass was public property (it had street lights and fire hydrants and whatnot on it, too).

Ah well - I'm willing to admit that we might've done something wrong.  I just wish he hadn't kept our signs.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18844 on: January 10, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
If there was a full fence, I think you were fine to put your sign there.  I was picturing the grassy strip between the road and the sidewalk out in front of someone's house, where the sign would be in full view from their front window.  That would definitely not be OK in my books, even though that strip does not technically belong to the homeowner.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #18845 on: January 10, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-a-r7iJIU

This is a Judge Judy episode.  A young man is being sued for rent he's supposed to be paying to a woman, presumably his girlfriend. 

Notice what he says at 3:18.  "Just her bein' around me is me paying rent.  I don't gotta give her no cash.  That's what she was there for."

So the opportunity to bask in his charming presence is all that she should ask for?  Not only that, but she should give HIM money for the privilege!

Oh my...what a charming young man!  And what on earth was up with his refusal of a tissue?  Was he trying to smear it on his face?  I'm not easily grossed out but ick!

I remember one day, JJ was on in the break room.  I don't recall what the case was about but the plaintiff was a young woman and the defendant was a young man.  I caught a snippet of him complaining about the fact that the women in his town had nothing better to do than sit around and have babies.  Very shortly thereafter, it comes out that our young gentleman had sired his fair share of those babies.  The look on JJ's face was priceless.  I wish I could find that episode!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18846 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »

house

That's probably not terribly clear, but the point is that there was a fence (belonging to a home owner) that was placed between the house and the grass that had our sign.  Therefore, we figured the grass was public property (it had street lights and fire hydrants and whatnot on it, too).

Ah well - I'm willing to admit that we might've done something wrong.  I just wish he hadn't kept our signs.

How do you know he kept them? If it had been me they would have ended up in my garbage can - where you wouldn't have seen them.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #18847 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
You judge random strangers for getting cosmetic surgery?

As prevalent as it is down here, we can identify the surgeon, the type of procedure, the recentness of the action, and the likely longevity of the fresh-i-tude.  It's practically a scored event, like Olympic diving.

That sounds like a South Beach drinking game! Or bingo! The possibilities are endless......
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Jocelyn

« Reply #18848 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »

It is a bit SS to think that they are so special that they need a supervisor to fix their problem when that is not the supervisor's job, especially when MissRose is still working through the issue with her. Stupid, too, because if MissRose's workplace is anything like mine (I work in a call centre) her supervisor would have had to ask MissRose or someone doing the same job for help with anything more than the most basic of fixes.
Well, there's this conversation today:
ME: May I speak to Mr. X?
Assistant: I'm sorry, he's not available right now, can I help?
Me: Well, he just remoted into my colleague's computer to fix a problem. It took him quite awhile to fix it. My computer has a similar problem, and I thought it would save time to have Mr. X fix it, too.
Asst.:Well, perhaps I can help.
I set up the remote access, and he remoted in.
Asst.: What exactly did X do?
Me: I'm not sure, my colleague wasn't specific about how X fixed it- she said it was something about the spooler.  That's why I thought it would be a good idea to have X work on my computer, as both of them quit printing at the same time.
Me: When I send something to the print cue, it shows that I sent two files at the same time. You can look in my print queue and see.
Asst. somehow erases the print queue. He then tells me he just doesn't know what's going on, not without that print queue. He asks me to try again...but he will NOT take his hand off his mouse, so I can't use mine!
Asst.: Well, I guess I'll have to fill out a work order and have X look at it.

So I think it IS possible for a customer to know that s/he needs a supervisor.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18849 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18850 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-a-r7iJIU

This is a Judge Judy episode.  A young man is being sued for rent he's supposed to be paying to a woman, presumably his girlfriend. 

Notice what he says at 3:18.  "Just her bein' around me is me paying rent.  I don't gotta give her no cash.  That's what she was there for."

So the opportunity to bask in his charming presence is all that she should ask for?  Not only that, but she should give HIM money for the privilege!

Eww. He makes me want to scream between of the nose wiping and the entitlement.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Nibsey

« Reply #18851 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
snip
snip
So I think it IS possible for a customer to know that s/he needs a supervisor.

From my call centre experience I'd certainly agree that this is possible. In some cases I'd be hinting as subtly as I can for the customer to ask for a supervisor because they had to access to do things I couldn't. However 9 times out of 10 this is not the case.
When asked why they wished to speak to a supervisor, even the people who needed to talk to a supervisor would then scream down the phone that they didn't want to talk to you, they were only going to discuss this with a supervisor. In my head I'd be thinking "Well Mr/s Customers, frankly I don't want to talk to you either, not talking to you and transferring you quickly will bring up my stats and put me in the running for some nice bonuses."  But it was a fireable offence to transfer a blind call.
And the cherry on the cake for these cases was due to high turnover in call centres, I was more experienced than most of my supervisors (who were supervisors as they were full timers) and tended to have the error fixed before you were even transferred.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

MrTango

« Reply #18852 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »

house

How do you know he kept them? If it had been me they would have ended up in my garbage can - where you wouldn't have seen them.

That's what I'd have done with them, too.  I figure signs placed on my property without my permission are litter, and I'll dispose of them accordingly.

Around my area, properties have "easements" along the edges of the property line.  The land is owned by the property owner (it is not public property), however the city/county has the legal right to use the land for public works purposes.

Cami

« Reply #18853 on: January 11, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
In our town, it's a social "rule" that people who live on corners will have garage sale signs on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb. It's their property, but I've never heard of anyone objecting to the signs placed there. I suppose they could, but it's not happened in my experience yet.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18854 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
How not to get a date:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57563264-504083/jason-earl-dean-taco-bell-employee-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison-for-handcuffing-self-to-female-co-worker/

Don't handcuff yourself to someone you're trying to ask out on a date.

Ugh. This seems like one of those "romantic gestures" that wins over the girl in the movies, but is creepy and even criminal in real life.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver