Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5266027 times)

MrTango

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18855 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
Did you put them on the strip of grass in front of someone else's house? 

It's been a few years, but if memory serves, we placed them like this:

===============main road===================
***grassy boulevard with our sign*************************
-----fence that lined grassy boulevard, belonged to house-----
house

That's probably not terribly clear, but the point is that there was a fence (belonging to a home owner) that was placed between the house and the grass that had our sign.  Therefore, we figured the grass was public property (it had street lights and fire hydrants and whatnot on it, too).

Ah well - I'm willing to admit that we might've done something wrong.  I just wish he hadn't kept our signs.

How do you know he kept them? If it had been me they would have ended up in my garbage can - where you wouldn't have seen them.

That's what I'd have done with them, too.  I figure signs placed on my property without my permission are litter, and I'll dispose of them accordingly.

Around my area, properties have "easements" along the edges of the property line.  The land is owned by the property owner (it is not public property), however the city/county has the legal right to use the land for public works purposes.

Cami

« Reply #18856 on: January 11, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
In our town, it's a social "rule" that people who live on corners will have garage sale signs on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb. It's their property, but I've never heard of anyone objecting to the signs placed there. I suppose they could, but it's not happened in my experience yet.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18857 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
How not to get a date:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57563264-504083/jason-earl-dean-taco-bell-employee-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison-for-handcuffing-self-to-female-co-worker/

Don't handcuff yourself to someone you're trying to ask out on a date.

Ugh. This seems like one of those "romantic gestures" that wins over the girl in the movies, but is creepy and even criminal in real life.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18858 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
How not to get a date:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57563264-504083/jason-earl-dean-taco-bell-employee-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison-for-handcuffing-self-to-female-co-worker/

Ugh. This seems like one of those "romantic gestures" that wins over the girl in the movies, but is creepy and even criminal in real life.

Isn't that pretty much all of them?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18859 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
How not to get a date:

Isn't that pretty much all of them?

Well, yes. That's why I despise most romantic comedies.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #18860 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
How not to get a date:

One of the comments for the article is saying that it could have been a cute "how we met" story! Yeah! It's totally adorable when a creeper approaches you in a dark parking lot and handcuffs himself to you!  ::)
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Iris

« Reply #18861 on: January 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
How not to get a date:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. My first thought was "I  wonder if he got that idea from a movie?" Not that that excuses his behaviour, the poor girl must have been terrified.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

snowflake

« Reply #18862 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
How not to get a date:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. My first thought was "I  wonder if he got that idea from a movie?" Not that that excuses his behaviour, the poor girl must have been terrified.

I also think it's whack that he article says that he handcuffed HIMSELF to HER.  That wording insinuates that he is voluntarily putting himself in captivity. Kind of like - "See I'm helpless with love for her!"

Why does the headline not say, "Man handcuffs co-worker who wanted to get away from him."?  That is much more accurate.  He obviously was not really restrained because he fled when the police were called.

I hate it when someone does something that is manipulative and sort of kidnappy and it gets re-told as if the person is just intense and persevering.  And I don't want this to get political, but I hate it when the same newscasters wonder aloud why violence is accepted on our society.  Um, you just kind of accepted it!

pixel dust

« Reply #18863 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
How not to get a date:

One of the comments for the article is saying that it could have been a cute "how we met" story! Yeah! It's totally adorable when a creeper approaches you in a dark parking lot and handcuffs himself to you!  ::)

A touch off topic but my Dad could have been considered an SS if he was doing these things to anyone other than my Mom.

My parents entire time dating would be perfect for a "how we met" rom-com.

- October: Met at a bar. Mom and her friends were being harnessed by some guys and my Dad chased them off by quoting Monty Python insults at them. Dad breaks up with girlfriend of 4 years to pursue Mom.
- December: Mom works nights and takes classes, a very busy woman. Doesn't have time to decorate for Christmas. Dad is astounded. Breaks into her home (after not even 3 months of knowing her) and decorates her place for Christmas. Telling the story 20+ years later, Mom refers to this action as "sweet". I am slightly terrified a man she barely knew broke into her home and she didn't bat an eye.
- April-June: Dad basically begs Mom to marry him for literally months. Mom finally caves and plans the wedding in 30 days.

They're still together 28 years later.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18864 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
A touch off topic but my Dad could have been considered an SS if he was doing these things to anyone other than my Mom.

- October: Met at a bar. Mom and her friends were being harnessed by some guys and my Dad chased them off by quoting Monty Python insults at them. Dad breaks up with girlfriend of 4 years to pursue Mom.
- December: Mom works nights and takes classes, a very busy woman. Doesn't have time to decorate for Christmas. Dad is astounded. Breaks into her home (after not even 3 months of knowing her) and decorates her place for Christmas. Telling the story 20+ years later, Mom refers to this action as "sweet". I am slightly terrified a man she barely knew broke into her home and she didn't bat an eye.
- April-June: Dad basically begs Mom to marry him for literally months. Mom finally caves and plans the wedding in 30 days.

Awwwww.  :)  This goes to my patented "Dozen Roses" analogy.  It is the relationship between the people and not the act that matters.  Getting a dozen roses from someone I like, regardless of how long I've known them?  Awesome!  Getting a dozen roses from someone I am not interested in, regardless of how awesome that person is and how well I know him?  Feelings range from creeped out to stressed out.  It's not the giving of a dozen roses that is the determining factor, it's whether I wanted roses from that person.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18865 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »

Awwwww.  :)  This goes to my patented "Dozen Roses" analogy.  It is the relationship between the people and not the act that matters.  Getting a dozen roses from someone I like, regardless of how long I've known them?  Awesome!  Getting a dozen roses from someone I am not interested in, regardless of how awesome that person is and how well I know him?  Feelings range from creeped out to stressed out.  It's not the giving of a dozen roses that is the determining factor, it's whether I wanted roses from that person.

It's funny how you make one tiny change (say, rabid weasels instead of roses), and an analogy just falls apart.

nuit93

« Reply #18866 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »

It's funny how you make one tiny change (say, rabid weasels instead of roses), and an analogy just falls apart.

*spittake*

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18867 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

I would certainly pay more attention to the rabid-weasel giver.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18868 on: January 11, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
Yes, as you are chasing the rabid weasels out of your house!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18869 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
A bit over a hundred years ago (after 1865 but I'm not sure of exactly which decade, other than before 1899) - Great-Great Grandpa left the East Coast for Texas.  He met a young lady - saw her breaking a horse, apparently - and admired her spirit (and probably at least her ankles - depending on how much of her limbs got flashed while she was being tossed around by the horse).

She had two suitors - both took her out riding with a mare they'd broken to saddle to "suit her" (apparently which horse she accepted would tell the world, and her beaus which young man she was going to be marrying).  One mare had a bright eye and a lively disposition - but was quite calm with a lady in the saddle - kind of "flirted" with her rider and Great-Great(Great?) Grandma was sure that the mare was enjoying being ridden to all the interesting places around town as much as she was enjoying riding her.

The other mare had been "broken" to the saddle and had her spirit broken as well.  That suitor was told that she was sure that she didn't think that they were suited for marriage to each other. 

I understand that they have a very good relationship until one of them died in their seventies back before I was born.  I seem to remember that she was one of the women in the family with the same first name as my own - but being as it is a Biblical name that was popular for two thousand years or so....there are probably a lot of women in the family tree with the same name.  (It was NOT Mary, though.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?