Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4404210 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18870 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
How not to get a date:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57563264-504083/jason-earl-dean-taco-bell-employee-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison-for-handcuffing-self-to-female-co-worker/

Don't handcuff yourself to someone you're trying to ask out on a date.

Ugh. This seems like one of those "romantic gestures" that wins over the girl in the movies, but is creepy and even criminal in real life.

One of the comments for the article is saying that it could have been a cute "how we met" story! Yeah! It's totally adorable when a creeper approaches you in a dark parking lot and handcuffs himself to you!  ::)

I really shouldn't read the comments- being ragey after midnight isn't good for my nerves.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pearls n purls

« Reply #18871 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
There's a disturbing Hallmark Christmas movie in which a young woman handcuffs herself to a guy to force him into pretending to be her boyfriend over the holidays.  I think it's called "Holiday in Handcuffs" or simlar. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18872 on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »
About asking for a supervisor. There are times when that is what you need.

1. 4th time I called Dell about a problem I kept getting "accidently" disconnected. My warranty was literally 1 day from running out. Of course the supervisor said she couldn't understand me because my accent was to strong. Uhmm? I live less than 3 hours from Dell's home - and I have a fairly neutral accent.

2. When I first move back to Houston and had my cable/internet put in. The installers tried to remove my TIVO because it was "illegal" to digitally record cable. They also didn't know how to set the wifi up. Said I should just use ethernet for my laptop. After they turned on the connection to the apartment - I put everything together.

3. WHen I moved and had cable and internet moved to my new house. I was physically backed into a corner while the installer "offered" to install additional connections in the other rooms if I paid him - I am 1 person how many TV's would I need. Then he threatened to report me for stealing internet. The previous owners had had the same company's internet -but used Dish for TV. So it was possible for the company to just switch the internet to my account and it was on. He had come put in the connections for the TV. I actually was on the phone with Sis - and told her that if the connection went dead to call the cops - that got him to leave.

3. I had a series of power surges due to a storm (Transformer blew up in neighbor's yard too). Fried the surge protector and the modem. I wanted authorization to just bring in the modem and have it switched out. Lady was insisting i had to  have service call. Explained I had been threatened 2x by their service people and didn't want them in my house. Supervisor let me take the modem in - still was confused why I wanted to take it to there storefront in Fort Bend rather than one in Harris county. I explained 5 times I work in Fort Bend and that store front was on my way home. The one near my house is a hassle to get to due to traffic construction at the time.

Why don't I go with another company - none with similar speeds or caps and I burn up bandwidth.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JadeAngel

« Reply #18873 on: January 12, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »
How not to get a date:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57563264-504083/jason-earl-dean-taco-bell-employee-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison-for-handcuffing-self-to-female-co-worker/

Ugh. This seems like one of those "romantic gestures" that wins over the girl in the movies, but is creepy and even criminal in real life.

Exactly. There was a case not so long ago where a guy decided to sail his yacht across from somewhere in Europe (France maybe?) to find a girl who had served him a meal in a restaurant one time because he had decided she was 'The One'

He sent messages on Facebook telling her that he was coming, she told him not to come, her family told him not to come, they told him she was happily engaged to someone else... he came anyway. Unfortunately (or fortunately for her) he didn't get the correct visa to enter the UK and he was turned back at the border.

I'm sure in his mind it was a grand romantic gesture, but in reality it was more than a little weird, especially that he kept ignoring the constant 'No' he was getting from this woman and everyone associated with her.

Onward.

Last weekend my boyfriend and I went with some friends to a Tapas restaurant. We quite like these kinds of places as we like to try small helpings of the various different foods on offer so I went to the bar and we ordered four or five small dishes to share.

The waiter came around with our food and set it on the table after asking 'who ordered the...' and naming the dishes we ordered. We identified ourselves and he placed the food on the middle of he table in front of us. We took our soft shell crab burritos (delicious) however before we can reach over and take the other dishes, SSGrabbyhands goes ahead and helps himself to one of the two cheese and corn croquettes sitting in the middle of the table and bites into it. J and I looked at each other going 'did that just happen?' and I politely (through gritted teeth) said to the SS "Did you order the croquettes too? They look delicious." 

SS chews for a few moments and then goes to the bar and looks at the menu, when he returns he is highly apologetic, he did not order the croquettes, and he has ordered us a replacement dish. He then ruins his gesture of apology by leaning over and grabbing a handful of our handcut french fries, shoving them in his mouth and offering the bowl down the table. Left with the burritos and some moroccan lamb pastries (also delicious!) J and I eat while SSgrabbyhands hoes into our chips.

Lo and behold the waiter appears again, with SSGrabbyhands goat bistecca and another bowl of chips which had been ordered especially with aioli. J and I appropriate the chips to replace the ones SSgrabbyhands is now finishing and he immediately tries to snatch the aioli because 'he ordered it'. Graciously we place it in the middle of the table to be shared. He also takes one bite of his correct meal and decides he doesn't like it (I could have told him, if asked, that goat meat has a very strong gamey flavour, which is not to everyone's liking), leaving it to cool in the middle of the table and telling the waiter when he came back that there was nothing wrong with it, he just didn't like it. Immediately SSgrabbyhands friend (SSHungryboy) grabs it and scarfs it down, following it up with our second (now cold) croquette, of course he didn't ask if he might have it, just grabbed it off the plate and stuffed it into his mouth.

The waiter finally brings our replacement croquettes (delicious, and worth the wait) but we had to go to the bar and request plates and napkins as ours had been taken away when we finished the handcut chips and not replaced.

So the restaurant gets the big thumbs up, but SSGrabbyhands and SSHungryboy (who was talking over the top of people and butting into conversations when he wasn't stuffing his face) get the thumbs down for boorish SS behavior.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18874 on: January 12, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
How not to get a date:

Exactly. There was a case not so long ago where a guy decided to sail his yacht across from somewhere in Europe (France maybe?) to find a girl who had served him a meal in a restaurant one time because he had decided she was 'The One'

He sent messages on Facebook telling her that he was coming, she told him not to come, her family told him not to come, they told him she was happily engaged to someone else... he came anyway. Unfortunately (or fortunately for her) he didn't get the correct visa to enter the UK and he was turned back at the border.

I'm sure in his mind it was a grand romantic gesture, but in reality it was more than a little weird, especially that he kept ignoring the constant 'No' he was getting from this woman and everyone associated with her.

Yikes! That poor girl.

Well, at least she knows she made the right choice to avoid him. Someone who ignores your no is not a good prospect in my book.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #18875 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:28 PM »
A touch off topic but my Dad could have been considered an SS if he was doing these things to anyone other than my Mom.

My parents entire time dating would be perfect for a "how we met" rom-com.

- October: Met at a bar. Mom and her friends were being harnessed by some guys and my Dad chased them off by quoting Monty Python insults at them. Dad breaks up with girlfriend of 4 years to pursue Mom.
- December: Mom works nights and takes classes, a very busy woman. Doesn't have time to decorate for Christmas. Dad is astounded. Breaks into her home (after not even 3 months of knowing her) and decorates her place for Christmas. Telling the story 20+ years later, Mom refers to this action as "sweet". I am slightly terrified a man she barely knew broke into her home and she didn't bat an eye.
- April-June: Dad basically begs Mom to marry him for literally months. Mom finally caves and plans the wedding in 30 days.

They're still together 28 years later.

Awwwww.  :)  This goes to my patented "Dozen Roses" analogy.  It is the relationship between the people and not the act that matters.  Getting a dozen roses from someone I like, regardless of how long I've known them?  Awesome!  Getting a dozen roses from someone I am not interested in, regardless of how awesome that person is and how well I know him?  Feelings range from creeped out to stressed out.  It's not the giving of a dozen roses that is the determining factor, it's whether I wanted roses from that person.

It's funny how you make one tiny change (say, rabid weasels instead of roses), and an analogy just falls apart.

Any lawyers? :D

http://grooveshark.com/s/Last+Will+And+Temperment/9UWjk?src=5

(There is a small mention of cruelty towards animals, even in a humorous sense.  Just a warning.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:41:38 PM by Kaora »

Adelaide

« Reply #18876 on: January 12, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »
There was a woman in the "7 Items or Less" lane today at Wegman's who had at least 20 items. At this store there are regular lanes, "15 Items or Less" lanes, and "7 Items or Less" lanes. She was directly in front of me but I bit my tongue and didn't say anything, even when she started scolding the cashier for being too slow. By the time I actually got to check out I had all sorts of lines I wanted to say, commenting on the fact that she had heaps of groceries in an express lane, but I didn't. The two men behind me, who had one item, were grumbling about the woman ahead but didn't say anything either-and it's not like anything we said could have done any good . ::)

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #18877 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »
How not to get a date:

One of the comments for the article is saying that it could have been a cute "how we met" story! Yeah! It's totally adorable when a creeper approaches you in a dark parking lot and handcuffs himself to you!  ::)

I really shouldn't read the comments- being ragey after midnight isn't good for my nerves.

My Dad could have possibly qualified as an SS. He approached my mother in a bar and asked her to dance. When she told him she and her roommate were there to forget about men, he told her that was a shame, as he intended to marry her.

However, what makes it a sweet story that was ultimately about true love was if she had just stared at him incredulously or said "No", he would have backed off, and I wouldn't be here. Apparently she was amused by his answer and agreed to go to dinner with him. He took her to the Playboy Club and didn't pay attention to any of the bunnies, because he was too busy paying attention to her, and he remained devoted to her until the day she died.

I think some of these men expect these grand romantic gestures or statements to come off as Special, but what makes them Special Snowflakes instead is they don't back off when the lady says "No, thank you". A true knight cares about his lady's happiness and comfort, even if it's not with him.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18878 on: January 13, 2013, 04:06:46 AM »
How not to get a date:

Yikes! That poor girl.

Well, at least she knows she made the right choice to avoid him. Someone who ignores your no is not a good prospect in my book.

The story was on the Daily Mail website, and the comments section was full of people saying she should have given him a chance, what a lovely and devoted man he must be, how cruel she is etc etc.  It made me sick.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18879 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
We went to the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island last week. Little penguins come up the beach from the sea and return to their nests. Hundreds of people watch them every night. They used to have a rule that you couldn't use your flash on your camera, but years of having that rule abused has now meant that all cameras are banned. Doesn't stop the SS who think that one little photo couldn't hurt, the penguin's eyes will recover eventually, right? So frustrating!

Bonus pic

Victoria

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #18880 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »

Yikes! That poor girl.

The story was on the Daily Mail website, and the comments section was full of people saying she should have given him a chance, what a lovely and devoted man he must be, how cruel she is etc etc.  It made me sick.

So, she should have dumped the guy to whom she was "happily engaged" in order "to give a chance" to some other dude?  Yeah, that sounds so very sensible.  Some people have watched one too many rom-coms.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18881 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
There was a story like that in the USA as well.  Perhaps it's the same one.

A man visited Ireland and, when he returned home, realized that he was smitten with a woman he met in a Dublin pub.  He was making great efforts to locate her with the intention of proposing marriage. 

This isn't quite an urban legend because the man was interviewed on national television here.  Still, it's more than a little creepy. 

Shalamar

« Reply #18882 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
JadeAngel's story reminded me of going out for dinner with our friends, John and Jane, and Jane's brother Cheapskate.   My husband and I ordered an appetizer for the two of us to share, and before we'd even taken one bite, Cheapskate asked "Are you going to finish that?"   ???

I call him Cheapskate instead of, say, SS because his cheapness is legendary.   That bit of behaviour I described is typical - he'll deliberately order a very small meal to save money, assuming that other people at the table won't be able to finish their food.  If and when that happens, he swoops in and eats the leftovers off people's plates (without asking if they'd planned to have them boxed up to take home).

Tia2

« Reply #18883 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
I've started a 'in real life, that's restraining order territory' thread if anyone wants to post their favourites.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #18884 on: January 13, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
So, she should have dumped the guy to whom she was "happily engaged" in order "to give a chance" to some other dude?  Yeah, that sounds so very sensible.  Some people have watched one too many rom-coms.

I actually had a guy tell me that IRL. I'd had a crush on him for years, but decided nothing would come of it and moved on. 2 yrs later I was happy in a relationship with my now DH. We weren't engaged, but it was clear to all it was heading in that direction.

He chose that time to tell me he was in love with me and that it wasn't fair of me not to give him a chance just because now-DH got there first... In pretty much those words.

So.... I was supposed to break up with a guy I was deeply in love with, just because of his say-so? Yeah, I don't see that happening.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice