Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5377864 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #18960 on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
I was playing in pit orchestras between 1991 and 1994 (hiking accident ended my music career).

if you don't mind my asking, how?

A couple friends and I were on a fairly steep trail and near the top there was a bit of nearly vertical rock.  It was only about 25 feet, and since we had all been moderately experienced climbers, we decided to free climb the last little bit up to the top.  Unfortunately, about 5 feet from the top, I slipped and fell to the bottom, then bounced and rolled another 30 feet down the trail.  I tore pretty much every tendon and ligament in my right hand and a fair number of them in my left (in addition to other injuries).  I had played the oboe/English horn, and unfortunately, my hands were never able to recover sufficiently to play at the level required for a conservatory student.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18961 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
I'd like to apologize to Midnight Kitty. I came off as attacking her, when I did not mean to do so. I spoke very poorly, and I'm very sorry for that.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18962 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
I was going down a two lanes each way with a median road, having managed to get out of the grocery store parking lot in rush hour traffic (6 pm and it is dark already).  I am in the inside lane by the median so I can make the protected left turn arrow to get HOME just that little bit sooner.  I took the exit by the front of the main store. I pull into the first lane, then signal to get into the other lane - I keep on signalling because I need to get into the left turn lane (which has a green protected arrow that JUST lit up). There is a second exit closer to the intersection behind a short strip (restaurant & mattress store).

Some SS decides decides to pull out of the parking lot at the second exit and cross both lanes and starts edging out to get in front of me from the right lane - trying to block two lanes of traffic (too dark to see whether it is a man or a woman driving).  I slow down but don't quite stop - I am not yielding, I am trying to make the left turn arrow....just barely missed it because I had to slow down.....SS ends up behind me when they've completed their illegal (and rude) turn across two lanes while blocking traffic.

When the light changed, I made my turn quickly and got into the inner lane again (another left turn coming up) but didn't want to have any further contact with "oncoming traffic will cut me off if I wait for it to clear" SS.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:49:04 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18963 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
Sadly, this SS was a friend of mine. A friend posted on her FB today about "Is Les Miz really ALL singing? Don't they talk at all?" Didn't think much of it, but then followed a constant stream of comments on her post that made it very clear she was updating her FB from her phone during the movie! I was horrified and told her that if she didn't want to watch the movie, she should just sit outside instead of ruining the experience of everyone else around her. She insisted that she was very subtle and no one could tell. HAH! Those darned screens are super bright. You can always tell.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18964 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
I had a similar situation with a Grad School course. 

At the first meeting, the Professor announced that we were to take the same seat for the duration of the course so he could more easily remember our names. No problem there.

However, right behind me was a group of three ladies.  It turned out that the two on the ends were not proficient in English and the one in the middle was their interpreter.  She kept up a sentence by sentence simultaneous translation during the entire two hours of the class.  I have to admit that it was a spectacular performance but it was  almost impossible to concentrate on the lecture.  I knew I couldn't sit through two hours, twice a week for 13 weeks with this going on.  I wasn't the only one.
Even the Prof was giving them the stink eye. 

He must have had a 'Come to the deity' meeting with the trio because they never came back.
I was pre-law for my Bachlors. Decided teaching was a better fit but I was at a private university. Dad told me to finish the poli-sci degree then I could add on teaching at a public university.

Because of some of the quirks of my Liberal Arts University - I had to take a few freshman and sophomore classes to qualify as a teacher in Texas. (US History and Texas History for example - I took Russian and Japanese History for non-western cultural credits those didn't help with teacher certification.)

One of the classes I had to take was Human Geography - code for human evolution.  Small room only 3 or 4 rows deep but the rows were long. I was smack dab in front of the professor not 3 feet away and I coudn't hear him because these two women behind me kept up a constant dialogue about how requiring this class for teaching certification was a violation of their first admin rights. It was a Tuesday - Thursday 1 1/2 hours class with a break. I asked them to be quiet. The Fundamentalist Preacher sitting next to me - asked them to be quiet said they weren't be required to believe just understand a widely accepted academic school of thought. They kept it up. So Preacher and person on my left, and I started asking the professor to repeat things, being very specific why we couldn't hear him. He gave them 2 options shut up or leave.

One of the women left the class. The other continued.

For the next 2 semesters this woman I butted heads. I got so tired of the some of the professors paying lipservice to equality but letting this woman make racist comments that I started telling them and her that what she said was unacceptable. Then many of our classmates started speaking out against her racism.

We ended up taking our certification tests in the same room. I finished both tests in about 30 min (you had 3 hours) and left quietly. She told our adviser that I had walked out without finishing the tests. I explained I'm just a fast test taker. When the scores came out the woman asked me "How bad did you fail?". Turned 10 different shades of red when I told that I had missed only 2 questions on one test and 1 question on the other. She had failed and tried to file an appeal because I had "disrupted the room by leaving". Now the room was former open concept cut up into classrooms and stuffed to the door with desks. I would have gone stark raving mad if I had to attend HS there, but I left as quietly as possible.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #18965 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
We went to a performance of the Marriage of Figaro.  One of the supertitles came up with

'All men are scumbags" 

I am pretty sure that this was not an exact translation.  It provoked a collective intake of breath, and some giggles.  I think the cast were use to this, as there was a little pause before the next phrase.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18966 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »
I'm so glad I don't have to shop at the grocery store on Saturdays anymore. Partly cause Saturdays are the only day where I really get a good amount of time to myself during the day since DH is home and stays home with the 3 boys and I didn't like having to devote at least an hour to the buying of the groceries, then coming home to unload them before going back out. 

However I still run across some SS's who will stop to talk with someone they know, carts side to side without leaving room or even moving for someone else to pass them.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18967 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »
I'd like to apologize to Midnight Kitty. I came off as attacking her, when I did not mean to do so. I spoke very poorly, and I'm very sorry for that.
I accept your apology.  No hard feelings and my opinion of your character is back up where it used to be. :-*

Now, let's all smile at the image of some anonymous SS who only ordered only a side salad, but ended up eating a complete lobster dinner scrounged off her dining companions' plates. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Iris

« Reply #18968 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
I accept your apology.  No hard feelings and my opinion of your character is back up where it used to be. :-*

Now, let's all smile at the image of some anonymous SS who only ordered only a side salad, but ended up eating a complete lobster dinner scrounged off her dining companions' plates. >:D

That could have been me one time that I went out for dinner with friends. I had had a HUGE lunch and ordered the smallest salad I could. I could have just about had a lobster dinner with all the extras my friends kept trying to give me. It was weird. I guess people just can't get over that primary school thing that it's rude to eat in front of others, even when the others in question are adults and have assured you repeatedly that no, they really don't want your extra wafer thin after dinner mint because they really are just that full.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18969 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »
It was weird. I guess people just can't get over that primary school thing that it's rude to eat in front of others, even when the others in question are adults and have assured you repeatedly that no, they really don't want your extra wafer thin after dinner mint because they really are just that full.
I've heard it said that nature abhors a vacuum.  Maybe people with full plates see the emptiness in front of you as a vacuum that needs to be filled with food.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #18970 on: January 16, 2013, 01:41:13 AM »
Just throwing in my two cents' worth - I have met & had smoothies with Midnight Kitty and I can attest to her abundance of class, courtesy, and graciousness.

Back to SS stories: I don't know if this one today was a true SS or just really, really clueless.....
Leaving my favorite supermarket's parking lot, she is behind me in the left-turn only lane. Light turns green, one and only one car comes straight through incoming. SS in front of me sits...and sits....I tap my horn, and the vehicle finally turns. Driver then stopped at the next red light (in the lane beside me by that time, thank goodness) four car-lengths back from the stopping line. Then SS proceeded to drive on when the light turned green at ~40kph in a 60 kph zone.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #18971 on: January 16, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »
once you think about it, their meaning is crystal clear.

(Reminds me of when a Southern contestant on Survivor used the expression "So good, makes you wanna slap your mama."  I was all "Um, what?  What did your poor mother do to you?"   ;D)

In the South, Mamas are to be feared and revered. If something is so good that you would even think about slapping your Mama to get it, it's pretty darn good.

greencat

« Reply #18972 on: January 16, 2013, 03:09:46 AM »
It was weird. I guess people just can't get over that primary school thing that it's rude to eat in front of others, even when the others in question are adults and have assured you repeatedly that no, they really don't want your extra wafer thin after dinner mint because they really are just that full.
I've heard it said that nature abhors a vacuum.  Maybe people with full plates see the emptiness in front of you as a vacuum that needs to be filled with food.

Back when I weighed one hundred pounds soaking wet, I used to be the eater of unwanted food at group dinners.  It wasn't that I didn't order enough food for myself, because I certainly did, but that I had a very high capacity for eating beyond the point where I was "full."  One particular time really sticks out in my mind.  I was out to dinner with about ten or fifteen people once, and I was one of the first people to get there and order, and I had ordered a very large appetizer (one meant for a family of four to share) as my meal, so my food came out really early, and I ended up mostly finishing it before other people had more than the salads that came with their meals.  Somehow, the people around me didn't actually observe how much I'd eaten, and they started shoving random sides (and an errant salad that arrived late) at me, insisting that I "eat something."  Some of the people couldn't finish their own entrees and didn't want to take leftovers home (I think we were all going out to a movie afterward) and passed the remnants over to me as well.  I think I ended up eating the equivalent of three or four full restaurant meals (so, about three days worth of calories!) at that one sitting.  People that knew those people did stop with the subtle probing about potential eating disorders though - I used to get that all the time until people actually went out to eat with me and realized that I just had a fast metabolism.

Now, for special snowflakiness:

I ride the bus to work.  Around the bus terminal, there are several lanes clearly and obviously and extensively marked "Bus only" for a fair distance.  While it is understandable that cars sometimes turn down these lanes by accident, some special snowflakes will ignore all the signage and use these lanes to drop off their passengers at the terminal.  There is a clearly marked passenger-drop-off area - but that's not good enough for these snowflakes.  Even when informed of their mistake (at progressively increasing volume and decreasing politeness) by bus passengers, employees, and security guards, these people refuse to move out of the lane which several buses exiting the terminal are trying to drive through - often, they are carrying on a conversation with one or more passengers or unloading baggage.  They must truly believe that the world revolves around them and only them - surely the street signs that say "Bus Only" and the painted words on the road that say "Bus Only" and all the people saying "Hey, this lane is only for buses, you need to move your car!" don't actually mean that S.S. Thiscarisabus is the one with the problem.

weeblewobble

« Reply #18973 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »
Re: the kids in the gym issue

I've been a member of my gym for almost ten years.  They have an absolutely WONDERFUL childcare program there, with a separate room for 7-12 year old kids (with a climbing wall, giant video display for wii games, mini-library and afterschool homework helpers). My kids BEG me to go work out so they can go play in the childcare room.

Yet every January means a sudden blooming of neon yellow signs all around the gym, reminding members that children under 16 are not allowed past the reception area/juice bar into any of the weight rooms, cardio areas or classrooms. Under no circumstances.  No even a little bit. No. No. No. 

Because every January, SS parents make resolutions to lose weight, and apparently, the only way they can do that is if their kids are within five feet of them.  So every January, there is a period where these parents try to completely ignore the policies and get their way.

The poor staff has to corral these kids out of the free weight area, where they could get seriously hurt.  They have to be chased off of the cardio equipment, which could be just as dangerous.  And some of the parents try to sneak them into the exercise classes, insisting that they'll just sit in the back of the room and won't bother anyone.  Yes, because nothing says, "yoga relaxation" like an eight year old chattering, "Mom?  Mooom?  I'm bored and this music is stupid, when are we going to goooooo?"

In some of these cases, I suspect that the parents are trying to get free membership benefits for the kids. A few days ago, an 10-11 year old girl pitched a loud screaming fit because she was asked to get off of an elliptical machine. The minimum age for membership is 16.   The mom insisted that the girl wasn't hurting anybody and we (meaning the members exercising around her) didn't care if she was there.  But we did, because the gym was very busy and more than one person had walked into the cardio area only to turn around when they couldn't find a free machine.  If your child is underage and not a member, it is extremely unfair for her to take up equipment, preventing someone else who is a paying member from legitimately using it.

Typical excuses for not putting their children in the childcare room include:

"But he has to go to the bathroom!" (meaning walk through the weight area to the ladies locker room)
There are bathroom facilities (that do not include grown women changing their clothes) in the childcare center.  And generally, these kids use the bathroom and then run through the weight room, right into the nearby indoor basketball court to try to get the adults playing pick-up games to let them play, too.

"There's nothing for the kids to do in there!"
See the above description of pre-teen paradise.  The kids room is just as well-stocked with indoor playground equipment, a mini-library, and art supplies.

"I never put MY children in the care of strangers."
OK then, leave them in the care of someone you trust, but don't bring them here.

These people  READ and SIGNED the childcare policies when they joined the gym.  And yet, every year this happens, and every year, these people try to quit the gym and get their membership fee back because they can't get their way.  It usually calms down by March or so.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:12:17 AM by weeblewobble »

Margo

« Reply #18974 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »
Greencat - your thiscarisabus story reminded me of an incident when I was a student. (not snowflakey, I don't think)   A group I was a member of had hired a minibus from the university, and travelled to another city for a competition related to our hobby. WE weren't familiar with the city and, in trying to get to the hall we were supposed to be staying at, accidentally ended up in a bus lane with no immediate way out. As a chorus of back-seat drivers pointed this out to our friend who was driving, she immediately replied "In that case - Quick, everybody - think big and green!" (The local buses were green)

It must have worked. We didn't get stopped. (and we didn't stop and ask direction until we could do so OUT of the bus lane, so we didn't hold anyone up)