Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5238304 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19050 on: January 19, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »
I wonder if, given the large commonality of "Children-at-the-Doc Horror/SS Stories" in this thread, that it might need to have its own home.
"We ate the pies."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19051 on: January 19, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I wonder if, given the large commonality of "Children-at-the-Doc Horror/SS Stories" in this thread, that it might need to have its own home.

This is one situation where that makes sense.  :)

doodlemor

« Reply #19052 on: January 19, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
Thank you for the idea, Shoo and doodlemoor! It takes forever for me to find a purse, and this one I've only had for a few months.

Now to see if any such places exist near me. :)

Apparently I didn't pay attention when I posted, because Shoo posted about the shoe repair several minutes before I did.

If you live within a reasonable distance to any Amish, you could probably find someone who works with leather and makes tack for horses.

Another idea - why don't you email the customer service of the manufacturer?  Maybe they would fix it at a discount, since it is still relatively new.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19053 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Exactly. And part of the reason *this* rule exists is that even though you (general) might be totally reasonable, even though you might not interfere or cause a distraction, there is no guarantee whatsoever that you won't turn into a basket case, start touching things, or otherwise pose a distraction or hazard to the medical professionals.

When I was in medical school, my mother was having surgery, and the surgeon agreed for me to stand in. I got to the OR and detected a rather cool atmosphere, which got downright chilly when one of the nurses asked me if I'd done my surgical rotation yet, and I replied that I had not. They used a sort of scaffolding for holding retractors, and at one point the surgeon invited me to lean forward and observe his work more closely. The circulating nurse grabbed me by the back of my gown to keep me from losing my balance and touching the scaffolding.
At the end of the operation, the surgeon having departed the room, the nurse said, 'You're the first medical student we've had, who hadn't already done their surgical rotation, who didn't spoil the sterile field.' I had worked in my small-town hospital as an aide, and had had the opportunity to do a lot of things aides didn't normally do, including assisting with sterile procedures. But knowing what happens when someone breaks the sterile field in surgery, I can't blame the residents and nurses for being annoyed that I was allowed in.

Reika

« Reply #19054 on: January 19, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

Apparently I didn't pay attention when I posted, because Shoo posted about the shoe repair several minutes before I did.

If you live within a reasonable distance to any Amish, you could probably find someone who works with leather and makes tack for horses.

Another idea - why don't you email the customer service of the manufacturer?  Maybe they would fix it at a discount, since it is still relatively new.

I live in Florida, and as far as I'm aware we don't have any Amish in the area, or have any leatherworkers around. I did find one shoe repair place near me, but they're closed.

As for the manufacturer, I bought the purse from eBay, I don't see any tags for who made it. But that's a good thought for the future. :)

And yesterday was a blizzard of snowflakes on the phones. The most memorable was one of our insurance agents giving me flack over the fact he had to wait around 30 seconds before getting through to me. I guess he was living up to his name, because his last name was very masculine in nature and his first name is the nickname of Richard that starts with a D and the filters don't like. ;)

It wasn't the joking tone about waiting either. He was livid over the fact he had to wait to get through to someone on a Friday. I did politely point out that this is a call center that services customers in the entire US and American Territories, and that this is one of our busiest times of the year.

Then after answering his questions and I asked "Is there anything else I can help you with?" He just grunted at me and hung up.

otterwoman

« Reply #19055 on: January 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
After reading the children's dental visit horror stories, I am grateful my DD's dentist not only wants me in the room with her, she sits in my lap during the proceedure.

DD has autism. Her dentist specializes in children with special needs. He wants the kids to be as calm and reassured as possible, hence the parents are vital in the room.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #19056 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »
I had an oral surgeon pull that "it's not pain, it's pressure" garbage on me.

I informed him in an icily way that I know the difference between pain and pressure, and that hurt.

He numbed me up a little more, and I said thank you. A few minutes later, he came in and pulled out the offending tooth.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19057 on: January 19, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
The two women who came in a few minutes after Les Miserables started, sat next to me (note to self, a fib to say yes the seats next to me are taken might be worth it) and then started to chat.  Um, the time for chatting is before the movie, not after it's started.  Ugh. 

Thankfully it wasn't the first time I've seen it. Then they kept talking on and off during the movie.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #19058 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
I had an oral surgeon pull that "it's not pain, it's pressure" garbage on me.

I informed him in an icily way that I know the difference between pain and pressure, and that hurt.

He numbed me up a little more, and I said thank you. A few minutes later, he came in and pulled out the offending tooth.
I once had a dentist tell me to 'let him know' if he hurt me...AFTER he'd filled my mouth with fingers and assorted dental equipment.
I discovered that even if your voice is muffled, dentists can recognize 'OK, I'll bite you'.  >:D His eyes got HUGE. ::)
The man had NO sense of humor.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19059 on: January 19, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Can the medical horror/incompetence stories please get it's own thread?

snowdragon

« Reply #19060 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »

Please can we do this.... and get back to the SS stories that this thread is supposed to be about before it gets locked.

Minmom3

« Reply #19061 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
I encountered I'mintoobigofahurrytopayattentiontoothersus today.

My work is in a moderate sized office building with over 1k people that work there regularly and we often have more people coming and going. As I was ambling along in the herd of folks going to the elevators, someone came bulling their way through the crowd.

Said person managed to get caught on my purse, feeling the tug, I asked "Give me a moment."

Or rather, started to say. The person yanked hard and took off. In the process they ripped out one end of a strap on my purse, so now I have to figure out how the heck I can repair it.

Wish I'd been able to see who it was, but there was too big of a press of people and the person (couldn't tell if the person was male or female) so I get them to pay for a repair or replacement.

So now I need to figure out how to repair the thing. Normally I'd resort to duct tape, but it's too nice for that.

Look around you for a shoe repair store that does more than just resole shoes.  They have serious machines that can sew through layers of leather.  I've never done it, although I need  a strap fixed too, but my mother has kept many purses functioning much longer than could rightfully be expected by repairs done at a good shoe repair store.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

snowdragon

« Reply #19062 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

I live in Florida, and as far as I'm aware we don't have any Amish in the area, or have any leatherworkers around. I did find one shoe repair place near me, but they're closed.

As for the manufacturer, I bought the purse from eBay, I don't see any tags for who made it. But that's a good thought for the future. :)

Contact the SCA in your area. Tell them what you are looking for and they should be able to fix you up. http://www.trimaris.org/localcontacts-grouplist   Alternatively - look around the theatre district for prop makers or/ costumers they can tell you who to go to.

JoW

« Reply #19063 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
....Said person managed to get caught on my purse, feeling the tug, I asked "Give me a moment."

Or rather, started to say. The person yanked hard and took off. In the process they ripped out one end of a strap on my purse, so now I have to figure out how the heck I can repair it.....

Look around you for a shoe repair store that does more than just resole shoes.  .....
Another possiblity would be a place that repairs saddles.  Look in the phone book for horse supplies or horse riding schools. 

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #19064 on: January 20, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
....Said person managed to get caught on my purse, feeling the tug, I asked "Give me a moment."

Or rather, started to say. The person yanked hard and took off. In the process they ripped out one end of a strap on my purse, so now I have to figure out how the heck I can repair it.....

Look around you for a shoe repair store that does more than just resole shoes.  .....
Another possiblity would be a place that repairs saddles.  Look in the phone book for horse supplies or horse riding schools.
Or Bike shops(motorcycle), especially if you are near Daytona.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana