Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5062766 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19065 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Saw an SS-lets-give-the-kiddies-a-little-scare-today in the parking lot at the home improvement store.  Man pushing one of those carts with a plastic kiddie-car on the front, running through the parking lot jerking it back and forth, who TWICE pushed it into the path of oncoming cars.    Yes, they were going at parking lot speeds and stopped in time, and the kids weren't scared, to judge by the "wheeee!" coming from the front of the cart --  but who does that?  I was wrestling with my own load or I would have gone and parked him in as I called the cops.  He was gone long before I was, though. :(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #19066 on: January 21, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »
As I was driving to work this morning, I witnessed some amazingly special driving.

I first encountered Mr WrongWay when I came around a wide bend to see Mr WrongWay driving across the three lane half of the main road I was on. When I say driving across, I don't mean changing lanes while driving along the highway, I mean driving perpendicularly ACROSS the three lanes in front of my car.

Fortunately I was driving at a slower speed than normal and he was quite a way away so I wasn't in any danger and traffic was fortunately sparse, BUT THEN....

I watched him reach the side of the road and come to park in a yellow painted section of road next to the offramp of a major highway.  He snuck the nose of his car into the entrance of the offramp (presumable to see if any traffic was coming up the offramp) and then drove down the offramp, THE WRONG WAY!

The last I saw of Mr WrongWay in my rearview mirror as I continued around the corner was his car dissapearing down the offramp, driving directly into what would be the flow of any oncoming traffic that would be unlucky enough to be trying to get off the highway at that point.

<shudder>

I really really hope he didn't cause any accidents.

Did you call the cops on him? What happened?

There was no place for me to pull over safely to get my phone and I don't have anyway to safely make a call while driving. By the time I got to work he would have been long gone and there wasn't anything that I could have told the cops that would have helped, assuming they cared enough to come out (I live in a country where the cops have a very bad reputation, so I really don't think calling them would have had any effect).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19067 on: January 21, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
Seen them at the pool. Two ladies walking up and down the lanes with a lane rope between them. And they happened to choose our lane to do this in.

The standard rules for a lap pool is you keep left, then turn, then keep left again. Not march up and down the lane chatting to your friend. I tried to swim towards one of them to hope they would get the message, but they kept marching up and down, up and down. Obviously having no idea that they were doing something wrong, or not even caring.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19068 on: January 21, 2013, 07:00:38 AM »
Obviously having no idea that they were doing something wrong, or not even caring.

Next time, tell them the rules, and if they don't follow the rules after that, get staff to tell them.  I would assume they don't know the rules, but once it clear they do know but are simply ignoring, I would excalate to staff.  I do this frequently at my track. It is dangerous to be oblivious and block lanes of moving people!

Snooks

« Reply #19069 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
The two women who came in a few minutes after Les Miserables started, sat next to me (note to self, a fib to say yes the seats next to me are taken might be worth it) and then started to chat.  Um, the time for chatting is before the movie, not after it's started.  Ugh. 

Thankfully it wasn't the first time I've seen it. Then they kept talking on and off during the movie.

At least they didn't start singing and dancing (on her seat but it made the whole row shake) like the lady who sat next to me at the Christmas screening of Meet Me In St Louis.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19070 on: January 21, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
Oh brother! 

This theater does have special events like a Grease sing-a-long, wonder if they thought this was one of those events?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19071 on: January 21, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
Good grief! 

There are 'Sound of Music' sing-alongs and 'Grease' sing-alongs. I've even heard of a 'Little Shop of Horrors' sing-along. 

Of course, everybody knows about the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' events but, I have never heard of a 'Meet Me in St. Louis' sing-along. 

Also, these things are always billed as sing-alongs. 

Shalamar

« Reply #19072 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
I was on another site at which a poster indignantly said that, while "singing along" to Les Miz, another theatre-goer dumped his drink on her head.  She was even more indignant when other posters said "Um, you deserved that.  I would have done the same thing." 

(Note:  I don't condone what that guy did, but I sure as heck would have fantasized about doing likewise if I'd been sitting beside her.)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #19073 on: January 21, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
That sort of reminds me of the revenge someone took on me because I shushed her.  I was sitting in front of someone at the movies, and she was loudly cracking her gum, anticipating what a character would do, and going on about how stupid the movie was.  I shushed her, she called me something that rhymes with "witch", and I gave up.  The talking continued, but the gum cracking stopped.  When I got home, I found out why.  It was pointed out to me that I had a huge wad of chewing gum in my hair, along with several sucked-on hard candies that I didn't know about.

Incidentally, using ice and peanut butter does get gum out of your hair, but it takes a long time.  >:(

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #19074 on: January 21, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
Seen them at the pool. Two ladies walking up and down the lanes with a lane rope between them. And they happened to choose our lane to do this in.

The standard rules for a lap pool is you keep left, then turn, then keep left again. Not march up and down the lane chatting to your friend. I tried to swim towards one of them to hope they would get the message, but they kept marching up and down, up and down. Obviously having no idea that they were doing something wrong, or not even caring.

Huh. I can see how that would work if everyone was swimming, and swimming at the same speed, but not if there were slow swimmers/walkers - wouldn't that just lead to a back up/bottleneck behind the poor person?  ???

My exBF and I used to go to the lap pool at a gym, and the rule there apparently was "stay in your lane" and that was it. First come first serve, unless you could negotiate sharing a lane with another swimmer with similar skill or at least good timing.  ;) We had hardcore triathlon swimmers training next to senior citizens walking back and forth before they went to sit in the hot tub or sauna. I can't imagine how the "turn/keep left" rule would have worked.  :(

My friend and I did the walk and chat (when no one was waiting to use a lane) during the second half of our time there, because going to the gym was one of the only chances we had to socialize and catch up with each other. Also, talking to each other helped distract us from the exercise so we could push through and since we were entertaining ourselves it wasn't such a slog. We talked in the pool for the same reason people listen to music while they walk or jog. Sometimes since we were going at the same speed and talking to each other, we could share a lane and let someone else have the other one.

The only thing we found annoying in the pool (besides the lack of lanes and lane ropes that were too loose) was the swimmers who splashed everyone.  ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19075 on: January 21, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
I was on another site at which a poster indignantly said that, while "singing along" to Les Miz, another theatre-goer dumped his drink on her head.  She was even more indignant when other posters said "Um, you deserved that.  I would have done the same thing." 

(Note:  I don't condone what that guy did, but I sure as heck would have fantasized about doing likewise if I'd been sitting beside her.)

Yeah, I wouldn't have done that, but I would've been hard-pressed to summon the will to tell them it was wrong. ;) 

I'm really looking forward to the DVD coming out so I can sing along, though! In the theaters now, I restrain myself to just mouthing the words of my favorite bits.

Angel B.

« Reply #19076 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
That sort of reminds me of the revenge someone took on me because I shushed her.  I was sitting in front of someone at the movies, and she was loudly cracking her gum, anticipating what a character would do, and going on about how stupid the movie was.  I shushed her, she called me something that rhymes with "witch", and I gave up.  The talking continued, but the gum cracking stopped.  When I got home, I found out why.  It was pointed out to me that I had a huge wad of chewing gum in my hair, along with several sucked-on hard candies that I didn't know about.

Incidentally, using ice and peanut butter does get gum out of your hair, but it takes a long time.  >:(

What an absolute witch! And people wonder why I so rarely speak up for myself...
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19077 on: January 21, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't have done that, but I would've been hard-pressed to summon the will to tell them it was wrong. ;) 

I'm really looking forward to the DVD coming out so I can sing along, though! In the theaters now, I restrain myself to just mouthing the words of my favorite bits.

I do that too, the mouthing the words and thus far it's never bothered anyone. I consider it a fair compromise when I'd really love to be belting out "Do you hear the people sing?" :)

And she called you a (rhymes with witch)??
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19078 on: January 21, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »

Huh. I can see how that would work if everyone was swimming, and swimming at the same speed, but not if there were slow swimmers/walkers - wouldn't that just lead to a back up/bottleneck behind the poor person?  ???

My exBF and I used to go to the lap pool at a gym, and the rule there apparently was "stay in your lane" and that was it. First come first serve, unless you could negotiate sharing a lane with another swimmer with similar skill or at least good timing.  ;) We had hardcore triathlon swimmers training next to senior citizens walking back and forth before they went to sit in the hot tub or sauna. I can't imagine how the "turn/keep left" rule would have worked.  :(

My friend and I did the walk and chat (when no one was waiting to use a lane) during the second half of our time there, because going to the gym was one of the only chances we had to socialize and catch up with each other. Also, talking to each other helped distract us from the exercise so we could push through and since we were entertaining ourselves it wasn't such a slog. We talked in the pool for the same reason people listen to music while they walk or jog. Sometimes since we were going at the same speed and talking to each other, we could share a lane and let someone else have the other one.

The only thing we found annoying in the pool (besides the lack of lanes and lane ropes that were too loose) was the swimmers who splashed everyone.  ::)

There are lanes grouped according to speed: slow, medium and fast for the purpose of stopping bottle necks. There are also walking lanes and empty lanes without signs, which is what my husband and I were in.

I don't mind sharing a lane, I make sure there's enough space between me and the next person so we don't get near each other. But my husband and I were in a lane and using it correctly when these two women arrived. I had to keep swimming around them as I was much faster.

It's the same at running tracks. If you are walking and talking with someone and there's a runner behind you, you MOVE. 

Ereine

« Reply #19079 on: January 21, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

The pool I go to has lanes for fast and slow swimmers and some just for competion swimmers. There's also one wide lane for water jogging. It's so popular that it would be impossible for one swimmer to take one lane, the system seems to work well enough, though the water jogging lane is a bit too crowded sometimes and though some snowflakey people insist on doing it in groups of four side by side so that you can't pass them.