Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4397448 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19080 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
Seen them at the pool. Two ladies walking up and down the lanes with a lane rope between them. And they happened to choose our lane to do this in.

The standard rules for a lap pool is you keep left, then turn, then keep left again. Not march up and down the lane chatting to your friend. I tried to swim towards one of them to hope they would get the message, but they kept marching up and down, up and down. Obviously having no idea that they were doing something wrong, or not even caring.

Huh. I can see how that would work if everyone was swimming, and swimming at the same speed, but not if there were slow swimmers/walkers - wouldn't that just lead to a back up/bottleneck behind the poor person?  ???

My exBF and I used to go to the lap pool at a gym, and the rule there apparently was "stay in your lane" and that was it. First come first serve, unless you could negotiate sharing a lane with another swimmer with similar skill or at least good timing.  ;) We had hardcore triathlon swimmers training next to senior citizens walking back and forth before they went to sit in the hot tub or sauna. I can't imagine how the "turn/keep left" rule would have worked.  :(

My friend and I did the walk and chat (when no one was waiting to use a lane) during the second half of our time there, because going to the gym was one of the only chances we had to socialize and catch up with each other. Also, talking to each other helped distract us from the exercise so we could push through and since we were entertaining ourselves it wasn't such a slog. We talked in the pool for the same reason people listen to music while they walk or jog. Sometimes since we were going at the same speed and talking to each other, we could share a lane and let someone else have the other one.

The only thing we found annoying in the pool (besides the lack of lanes and lane ropes that were too loose) was the swimmers who splashed everyone.  ::)

Whenever we visit our family's condo on the beach, DH and DS enjoy the pool a lot. There are chairs right up to the edge of the pool, then some further away. Ladies will sit right next to the pool then get upset if they get splashed. I don't get it.

JoW

« Reply #19081 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
I can see why someone water jogging or doing water aerobics would not want to be splashed.  I do water aerobics and I wear glasses while I'm doing them.  Splashes on my glasses make it hard for me to see.  But I figure that's what you get when you get when you exercise in a pool.  I just try to move a little further from the splasher.  And that's what the ladies beside the pool should do - move out of the splash zone or put up with getting wet. 

I have done water aerobics at 3 different clubs in 2 cities, and I have visited even more.   There is tension between the water aerobics people and the lap swimmers anywhere they have to share a pool.  Its one of the reasons I only take exercise in scheduled water aerobics classes.  Any disagreements between the class and the lap swimmers will be handled by club management, usually in favor of the scheduled water aerobics class. 

Emmy

« Reply #19082 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:04 AM »
That sort of reminds me of the revenge someone took on me because I shushed her.  I was sitting in front of someone at the movies, and she was loudly cracking her gum, anticipating what a character would do, and going on about how stupid the movie was.  I shushed her, she called me something that rhymes with "witch", and I gave up.  The talking continued, but the gum cracking stopped.  When I got home, I found out why.  It was pointed out to me that I had a huge wad of chewing gum in my hair, along with several sucked-on hard candies that I didn't know about.

Incidentally, using ice and peanut butter does get gum out of your hair, but it takes a long time.  >:(

What an absolute witch! And people wonder why I so rarely speak up for myself...

I agree, that really is a sore excuse for a human being..

I have also thought about the risk of retaliation when speaking up for myself. 

marcel

« Reply #19083 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »
I just now had a good one at work.

I operate bridges, and this specific bridge has some very big ships passing through (in this case it was a 200m. vessel). This means that openings take at least 12 min. (and that is fast)

The road here has 2 lanes in each direction, with a barrier between the east and west bound lanes, and a speed limit of 80 km/h (so even with the warning signs for he bridge, cars can come up pretty fast.)

One SS driver decided that he did not want to wait for the bridge, so he put his car in reverse, and drove back 1 km, against traffic to the point where he could get to another road again. Only half of this stretch has a shoulder, and even then iis dangerous. I followed him with my camera, and I saw 2 almost accidents, where both he and the oncomming car had to make an emergency stop.

In all, it took him a few minutes to get back there, then he would have to get to the tunnel to go under th channel, etc. Which takes a few more minutes. My estimate is that he will have saved at most 2/3 minutes by this highly illegal action that endangered both himself and the oncoming motorists.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #19084 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
I don't know if this is SS or just dangerously oblivious.

In one neighborhood that I drive through to get home, there are no sidewalks.  Still, when I was learning rules of the road, one rule is that in such situations, pedestrians should walk on the side facing approaching traffic.  So here it is, in that late afternoon/starting to darken time when I see the pedestrian dressed in dark colors walking on the side which is back-to-approaching traffic (i.e. me), bobbing about on the edge/into my lane.  Unfortunately, there's several opposing cars, so I can't just go around, but she kept bobbling out into my driving space so I didn't feel like it was safe to just continue on, so I'm crawling at a walker's pace until the traffic cleared and I could go around.  At which point I was also able to notice the strings of earphones.

So yes--by all means, as dark is approaching, wear dark clothes, walk on the wrong side of the road *and* cut off the means of noticing the world around you.  No one else wants to travel on that road, too, right? 

MissRose

« Reply #19085 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »

We got a call one night from a SS's mother. His cable stopped working all of a sudden. Does he call the cable company? Nope, he calls Mommy and has her call the cable company. To her credit, she sounded rather exasperated with him.

I asked DH what he though would happen if he called his mom in the middle of the night to inform her his cable wasn't working. Her response would probably be "What do you want *me* to do about it? Call the cable company!"

This old reply reminds me of something that happened while I was on holidays.  I was spending a few days with one of my best mates.  His dad rings him up and says his new cell phone is  not working right, and needs my friend to go into town to sort it out for him.  My friend was not impressed to say the least & had a few words with him.  His father is 50 something years old & cannot sort out his phone, and asks his son!  I was not impressed either but I kept my mouth shut.   And I won't even start on his father refusing to run a simple errand to help my friend out in return for going into the city centre to sort his phone!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19086 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Look around you for a shoe repair store that does more than just resole shoes.  .....
Another possiblity would be a place that repairs saddles.  Look in the phone book for horse supplies or horse riding schools.
I know this post is going to make me sound like a SS, but I'll post it anyway and y'all can laugh at or with me. ;)

I am jealous.  So many recommendations to go to a good shoe store, one that does more than put new tips on high heels, or the local Amish, or a place that repairs tack and saddles.  I love my shoes and would repair them if I could find a shoe repairman.  I also own a horse and have tack that could/should be repaired.  I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  There is one real shoe repair(wo)man left on this island.  She is a nice lady who bought this ancient leather repair equipment.  Her business was near the ranch where I keep Misty, so I would drop off my shoes.  She even modified my husband's saddle to fit his mare before she died earlier this month. :'(  She moved her business closer to her home and much farther away from me.  She's now over an hour drive each way from my home AND the ranch.  She couldn't have moved farther away unless she moved to Maui.

Not only that, she does not advertise and her shop sign said "lawnmower repairs," which her husband did.  When our tack breaks, we buy new.  Everyone saves little pieces that could be reused and we learn to make some repairs, but we need that piece of equipment that sews through 3 layers of harness leather.

So, here I am, living in Paradise and complaining that we have no Amish around to repair my shoes, purses, and tack. ::)

... and Mindy, I know you are out there ... somewhere ... and I will find you!  I will have a dozen pairs of shoes needing repair by then, so I hope you still have your incredible, ancient but functional, leather repair equipment.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19087 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Midnight Kitty wrote:

"So, here I am, living in Paradise and complaining that we have no Amish around to repair my shoes, purses, and tack."

This sounds like a business opportunity in the making.

Virg

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #19088 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
Midnight Kitty wrote:

"So, here I am, living in Paradise and complaining that we have no Amish around to repair my shoes, purses, and tack."

This sounds like a business opportunity in the making.

Virg

Order your Amish worker!  Now available in all 50 States!

Adelaide

« Reply #19089 on: January 23, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
As I limped out of my krav maga class, I made my way to the only spot where I had a chance to put my shoes back on-no shoes are allowed in most of the dojo. There's a bench by the entrance, which was the only conceivable spot to sit down, as there were classes going on and I wasn't going to disturb a class just to put shoes on. The bench was occupied by a very large woman who was jabbering quite loudly on her cell phone. She was turned slightly to the side with one arm draped over the back of the bench and she was chomping pretzels as she talked. I'm sure the class nearest the entrance could hear her chew and/or talk on the phone. The woman was complaining about having to take her kids to karate practice an how "violent" it all was on her phone. When she saw me approaching (again, I'm limping, have a leg brace, and I'm starting to get a black eye) she turned further to the side, adjusted her gut so that it took up more of the bench, and swept the pretzel crumbs off of her shirt onto said bench. She then gave me The Look. I ended up propping my feet on the edge of the bench as I put my boots on.

doodlemor

« Reply #19090 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Special-Snowflake-Late-for-a-Dateus...........

Our section of western NY is undergoing days of lake effect snow, in addition to the bone cold temperatures and winds.  Most people are driving very prudently, because the visibility on many roads is poor due to the blowing snow.

A very special snowflake was driving on a major divided highway, and got caught behind a snowplow.  He was disgruntled because he was late to meet someone for a skiing engagement.  It can be iffy to pass these plows on a two lane sometimes, because the plow blade is so long that it can intrude a bit into the left hand lane.

Using reasoning known only to special snowflakes, snowflake decided that it would be a good idea to use the wide shoulder of the road to pass the snowplow on the right.  Apparently there was so much blowing snow that he didn't realize that not only was the plow clearing the road with the front blade, but the side blade was down to clear the shoulder.

Snowflake hit the side plow blade, spun out and around, and was then hit by the front blade of the plow as the operator was frantically braking and slowing down.

The snowflake and the plow operator were unhurt, as was the plow.  The snowflake's car was totaled.

Zen

« Reply #19091 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
And this is why you never pass a snowplow.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19092 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
And this is why you never pass a snowplow.

I wouldn't want to pass a snowplow. Being behind plows and salt trucks is a good thing when the roads are bad. I always feel safer driving behind them.

sidi-ji

« Reply #19093 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
  Marcel wrote :  " I followed him with my camera, and I saw 2 almost accidents, where both he and the oncomming car had to make an emergency stop."

In all, it took him a few minutes to get back there, then he would have to get to the tunnel to go under th channel, etc. Which takes a few more minutes. My estimate is that he will have saved at most 2/3 minutes by this highly illegal action that endangered both himself and the oncoming motorists.
[/quote]

Ack!  With all the motorists reporting this .. words escape me, hopefully his license to   behave idiotically has been revoked.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:08:46 AM by sidi-ji »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #19094 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »