Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5041664 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #19110 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »
Today's winner, a guy reading his smartphone while driving his DeLorean.

That sounds like a deleted scene from Back To The Future Part II.

It baffled me, since the car is already rare, and irreplaceable!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19111 on: January 24, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
I can see why someone water jogging or doing water aerobics would not want to be splashed.  I do water aerobics and I wear glasses while I'm doing them.  Splashes on my glasses make it hard for me to see.  But I figure that's what you get when you get when you exercise in a pool.  I just try to move a little further from the splasher.  And that's what the ladies beside the pool should do - move out of the splash zone or put up with getting wet. 

I have done water aerobics at 3 different clubs in 2 cities, and I have visited even more.   There is tension between the water aerobics people and the lap swimmers anywhere they have to share a pool.  Its one of the reasons I only take exercise in scheduled water aerobics classes.  Any disagreements between the class and the lap swimmers will be handled by club management, usually in favor of the scheduled water aerobics class.

But shouldn't someone swimming for fitness not be splashing but cutting through the water. I remember my sister's swim team coach telling them that if they were splashing they were wasting energy throwing water up instead of pushing through the water.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Cami

« Reply #19112 on: January 24, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
I can see why someone water jogging or doing water aerobics would not want to be splashed.  I do water aerobics and I wear glasses while I'm doing them.  Splashes on my glasses make it hard for me to see.  But I figure that's what you get when you get when you exercise in a pool.  I just try to move a little further from the splasher.  And that's what the ladies beside the pool should do - move out of the splash zone or put up with getting wet. 

I have done water aerobics at 3 different clubs in 2 cities, and I have visited even more.   There is tension between the water aerobics people and the lap swimmers anywhere they have to share a pool.  Its one of the reasons I only take exercise in scheduled water aerobics classes.  Any disagreements between the class and the lap swimmers will be handled by club management, usually in favor of the scheduled water aerobics class.

But shouldn't someone swimming for fitness not be splashing but cutting through the water. I remember my sister's swim team coach telling them that if they were splashing they were wasting energy throwing water up instead of pushing through the water.
  I'd hazard a guess that most people have not had the benefit of a swim coach teaching them how to efficiently slice through water.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19113 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
I don't know if this is SS or just dangerously oblivious.

In one neighborhood that I drive through to get home, there are no sidewalks.  Still, when I was learning rules of the road, one rule is that in such situations, pedestrians should walk on the side facing approaching traffic.  So here it is, in that late afternoon/starting to darken time when I see the pedestrian dressed in dark colors walking on the side which is back-to-approaching traffic (i.e. me), bobbing about on the edge/into my lane.  Unfortunately, there's several opposing cars, so I can't just go around, but she kept bobbling out into my driving space so I didn't feel like it was safe to just continue on, so I'm crawling at a walker's pace until the traffic cleared and I could go around.  At which point I was also able to notice the strings of earphones.

So yes--by all means, as dark is approaching, wear dark clothes, walk on the wrong side of the road *and* cut off the means of noticing the world around you.  No one else wants to travel on that road, too, right?

I had a couple that did this daily on my route to work. One day on of the cops came by the school to eat with the kids. I asked if anything could be done because they were a real hazard. He said he would let the officers that patrolled that area at that time. The next day I saw an officer had them "pulled over". After that they were walking against the traffic and they had flashlights.

I also so the exact opposite. A man that jogged before dawn. He had a head lamp and his shorts/shirts and shoes were lined with reflective tape and he had one of those dayglow vests. He looked like a torso and shoes jogging down down the street. Kind of spooky but highly visible.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #19114 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
I almost hit someone once, for similar reasons.  It was night, he was walking on the side of the road, and he was wearing dark jeans and a black hoodie.  He even had black sneakers on.  I had just enough time to shriek and slam on the breaks, and he started banging on the passenger side window and yelling at me.  I didn't stick around to hear all he had to say.

mmswm

« Reply #19115 on: January 24, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
I almost hit someone once, for similar reasons.  It was night, he was walking on the side of the road, and he was wearing dark jeans and a black hoodie.  He even had black sneakers on.  I had just enough time to shriek and slam on the breaks, and he started banging on the passenger side window and yelling at me.  I didn't stick around to hear all he had to say.

I got pulled over once for something similar.  I was driving down the main road through town and at the very last second I saw two men standing in the middle of the road just having a pleasant conversation with each other.  I will admit that I was speeding a little bit; about 40 in a 35mph zone, but I had no choice but to swerve into the southbound lane in order to avoid hitting them.  It was dark and both men were wearing all dark clothing.  The cop a few hundred feet in front of me probably thought he had a drunk driver on his hands and pulled me over.  When he asked why I did what I did, I explained it to him and he turned his search light back towards the men who were, amazingly enough, still standing in the middle of the street.  The cop asked me what I was doing out so late and I pointed to the gallon of milk on the floorboard of the passenger side and he let me go.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

greencat

« Reply #19116 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »
I have to cross the horribly busy main road in the wee dark hours to get on the bus going the correct direction - and I have to wear all-black clothes for work.  I carry a flashlight or at least light my cellphone screen up while I'm making the crossing.  There are streetlights, but sometimes they randomly aren't on or it's foggy...

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19117 on: January 24, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
I have to cross the horribly busy main road in the wee dark hours to get on the bus going the correct direction - and I have to wear all-black clothes for work.  I carry a flashlight or at least light my cellphone screen up while I'm making the crossing.  There are streetlights, but sometimes they randomly aren't on or it's foggy...

They sell reflective vests for just a couple of bucks. You could slip it on over your clothes for the walk and then take it off.

ET is the best alien.

« Reply #19118 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »

I got pulled over once for something similar.  I was driving down the main road through town and at the very last second I saw two men standing in the middle of the road just having a pleasant conversation with each other.  I will admit that I was speeding a little bit; about 40 in a 35mph zone, but I had no choice but to swerve into the southbound lane in order to avoid hitting them.  It was dark and both men were wearing all dark clothing.  The cop a few hundred feet in front of me probably thought he had a drunk driver on his hands and pulled me over.  When he asked why I did what I did, I explained it to him and he turned his search light back towards the men who were, amazingly enough, still standing in the middle of the street.  The cop asked me what I was doing out so late and I pointed to the gallon of milk on the floorboard of the passenger side and he let me go.

I know he was a cop, but it was really none of his business why you were out so late. Please tell me this happened when you were a teen. If it happened here (I live fairly close to you in Tacoma, I remember you saying you lived S.E of Seattle.) I never want to live where you live.

mmswm

« Reply #19119 on: January 24, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »

I know he was a cop, but it was really none of his business why you were out so late. Please tell me this happened when you were a teen. If it happened here (I live fairly close to you in Tacoma, I remember you saying you lived S.E of Seattle.) I never want to live where you live.

The cop thought he had a drunk driver.  Token questions like that are the beginning of field sobriety tests.  They're assessing the clarity of your speech.  Slurred speech or incoherent thoughts would give them a reason to pull you out and do the other, more physical tests.  And I did live SE of Seattle last year.  Due to a number of factors, I moved back in with my parents (wise or not, that remains to be seen), in South Florida.  That particular incident took place in downtown Homestead.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ET is the best alien.

« Reply #19120 on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »

The cop thought he had a drunk driver.  Token questions like that are the beginning of field sobriety tests.  They're assessing the clarity of your speech.  Slurred speech or incoherent thoughts would give them a reason to pull you out and do the other, more physical tests.  And I did live SE of Seattle last year.  Due to a number of factors, I moved back in with my parents (wise or not, that remains to be seen), in South Florida.  That particular incident took place in downtown Homestead.

Ah, gotcha.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19121 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »

Ah, gotcha.

Also, if she was out late, the officer was probably thinking she was out at a bar. Asking why she's out could get him the name of the bar she's at and lead to information about how much she'd been drinking, when she'd stopped, etc. Very important part of the investigation. Since she had demonstrably just run out for milk instead of been at a bar and the swerve was explained (and presumably didn't smell like alcohol, slur when she spoke, etc), there was no reason to continue it.

MyFamily

« Reply #19122 on: January 24, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Just last week I almost hit a dog for the same thing.  I was heading home after my very early morning workout and it was still dark.  If I hadn't hit a bump in the road that shifted my headlights for a second, I'd never have seen the black dog being walked by 2 people dressed all in black and the dog was on a retractable leash - and he was many feet in front of the people walking him - as they were crossing a very major street in the middle of the block.  I'd have hit the dog, not the people, and I'm still livid with those people; I hope the dog was just being watched by some idiots and has some good people back home who would never do such a bone-headed thing.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

ET is the best alien.

« Reply #19123 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »

Ah, gotcha.

Also, if she was out late, the officer was probably thinking she was out at a bar. Asking why she's out could get him the name of the bar she's at and lead to information about how much she'd been drinking, when she'd stopped, etc. Very important part of the investigation. Since she had demonstrably just run out for milk instead of been at a bar and the swerve was explained (and presumably didn't smell like alcohol, slur when she spoke, etc), there was no reason to continue it.

See, I thought he asked after he saw the 2 people in the middle of the street. If it was before, I understand more. If it was after the fact, Why couldn't he ask where she was before the fact. Asking an adult woman why they are out so late seems a bit parentish to me.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19124 on: January 24, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
See, I thought he asked after he saw the 2 people in the middle of the street. If it was before, I understand more. If it was after the fact, Why couldn't he ask where she was before the fact. Asking an adult woman why they are out so late seems a bit parentish to me.

Cutting down on the out of control quote tree. :)  Even if she'd swerved because of the people, that doesn't mean she wasn't impaired, so he'd still ask a few questions. And asking directly "where were you?" can sometimes cue people what you're looking for and let them come up with something else. That's why cops will often ask questions sideways -- they still get the information they want, but the suspects don't always know what they're asking and so they get the real answer. (If you just say "how much have you had to drink tonight?", the answer is always "two beers." ;))